Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

"applelicious" I finally made my own HDRI lighting from one of my Bryce images, what a result I am chuffed

That came out really well! What process did you use to make the HDRI?

Exporting in radiance, shown in these tutorials for example

Bryce 10 minute scene project - abstract space HDRI backdrop - a tutorial by David Brinnen
    Bryce 5 minute scene - recursive abstract HDRI backdrops - a tutorial by David Brinnen
    Bryce 5 minute scene - recursive abstract HDRI backdrops 2 - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Stuart, here is a video I made a couple of months ago about masks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIuyQgKKY6w If I think on, I will try to make one more focused on clouds at some point - since this question keeps cropping up.

Horo, the white dot is just part of the material, the bump mapping works so well here it looks like a chip in the model.

Jamie, with that material it looks like the building has been submerged for a while or perhaps the work of Gaudi? http://barbaracsk.travellerspoint.com/ Which HDRI did you use as your internal light source?

Oh here's another dragon render test.

@David Brinnen, I rendered a reflective sphere in Bryce with a water plane and saved it as a Hdri file opened it in Luminace HDR 2.3.0
    I used the projective transformation tool to change it to a mirror ball then re saved as HDRI ..... reopened it in Bryce and played around with IBL changing the tone map sky dome, lighting and sky to get what i got ...... I think it was a fluked it, I am not good at technical stuff, it was purely an experiment for me I really had no clue what i was doing, it just worked so i will try it out again to what else I can come up with.

Maybe what I should do is check out you tuts and see what I am missing lol Thanks for David for your comment

edited December 1969

"applelicious" I finally made my own HDRI lighting from one of my Bryce images, what a result I am chuffed

That came out really well! What process did you use to make the HDRI?

Exporting in radiance, shown in these tutorials for example

Bryce 10 minute scene project - abstract space HDRI backdrop - a tutorial by David Brinnen
    Bryce 5 minute scene - recursive abstract HDRI backdrops - a tutorial by David Brinnen
    Bryce 5 minute scene - recursive abstract HDRI backdrops 2 - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Stuart, here is a video I made a couple of months ago about masks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIuyQgKKY6w If I think on, I will try to make one more focused on clouds at some point - since this question keeps cropping up.

Horo, the white dot is just part of the material, the bump mapping works so well here it looks like a chip in the model.

Jamie, with that material it looks like the building has been submerged for a while or perhaps the work of Gaudi? http://barbaracsk.travellerspoint.com/ Which HDRI did you use as your internal light source?

Oh here's another dragon render test.

@David Brinnen, I rendered a reflective sphere in Bryce with a water plane and saved it as a Hdri file opened it in Luminace HDR 2.3.0
    I used the projective transformation tool to change it to a mirror ball then re saved as HDRI ..... reopened it in Bryce and played around with IBL changing the tone map sky dome, lighting and sky to get what i got ...... I think it was a fluked it, I am not good at technical stuff, it was purely an experiment for me I really had no clue what i was doing, it just worked so i will try it out again to what else I can come up with.

Maybe what I should do is check out you tuts and see what I am missing lol Thanks for David for your comment

@David Brinnen, I just checked out you 10 min space abstract HDRI well it was kind of what i did but yours seemed really easy so I am going to give this a go thanks again David

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64-

Thanks very much for the explanation, I understand now.

@DavidBrinnen-

Thanks David, I will have a look at that.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited March 2013

Silver...mmm...great shot...yum, yum...must eat more apples ;)

Savage...great tut...never knew about all that stuff.

David...love the coppery look to the drag’.

Guss...many thanks for the interest, and hope the method below and enclosed image is of use.

1. Create the 2D Face Vertical
    2. Give it the mirror material
    3. Multi-replicate it
    4. Change camera FOV to 25 (thereabouts), and centrally position within the mirror tunnel.
    5. Cap the top with another mirror (optional)
    6. Position light and object in tunnel
    Voila!

You could be playing around with the settings (e.g. radial light colour, specularity, materials, FOV, objects such as cylinders, squares...etc.,) forever - each giving different results and effects.

Jay

multi-mirro-setup.jpg
    1200 x 631 - 532K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@ Horo Bryce can export a render directly as rasiance file, how is this done? please direct me to a tutorial yeah

Essentially, instead of saving the finished scene or picture, export the render from the File menu as radiance.hdr right after the render has finished (see video): Why you should consider exporting your renders as HDRI

However this gives you only the rendered image in the radiance format. You need the full scene by either rendering a couple of views and stitch them together or using the Scene Converter http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro-scene-converter

You can also export a sky as radiance.hdr directly from the IBL tab of the Sky Lab. Either you have an HDRI loaded (doesn't make sense to export that one) or you create a sky and export that one.

Exporting a rendered panorama (in the angular projection, as the Scene Converter creates) will have the dynamic range of an HDRI but not the prominent very bright light source(s). Nevertheless, these HDRIs can give you very nice ambient light and of course a reflections.

There are tutorials using 4 different methods to make an HDRI in Bryce that came as content with the Pro version. There is quite some labour involved. Specially for Bryce 7.1, I recorded a 3-part video whith yet another method (one gets smarter with time) but those are not (yet) published.

edited December 1969

@David - I like this dragon more, strong colour like copper.

I used the projective transformation tool to change it to a mirror ball then re saved as HDRI ..... reopened it in Bryce and played around with IBL changing the tone map sky dome, lighting and sky to get what i got ...... I think it was a fluked it.

No, not Mirror Ball - Angular. Luminance HDR 2.3.0 is limited to Polar, Angular, Cylindrical (not sure spherical is meant by it) and Mirror Ball. Do not tone-map it because it usually goes down from 96 bits per pixel to 24.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Here's a landscape I did plus some horses grazing.

Feedback appreciated please.

Horses_Grazing.jpg
    960 x 720 - 152K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Here's a landscape I did plus some horses grazing.

Feedback appreciated please.

I don't like the round look - I would have made the land more flat .
    maybe trees bigger - more of them .
    I would have put a tree up close on one or both of the sides .
    good start .

edited March 2013

Good start, indeed. The material on the ground is out of the library, you could tweak it a bit. Also the hill at right: steep with grass bands doesn't look very nautural. I mention this because this scene is good and has a lot of potential. The horses are nicely posed. I agree with bigh that a tree could be moved nearer, but that is a question of composition. Please keep it up, the advice is meant to help you improve.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

I have changed the material on the right hand hill and the ground. Added another tree and brought one forward a bit.

I also changed the size of the picture to a landscape one.

Horses_Grazing_2a.jpg
    900 x 450 - 105K
    edited December 1969

I think it has much improved.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    I have changed the material on the right hand hill and the ground. Added another tree and brought one forward a bit.

better - gives it more depth

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

I've seen a lot of renders looking skywards lately so I thought I'd add my own.
    The crane was not made by me but I thought it would make a good subject.
    It could do with a lick of paint.

Crane.jpg
    800 x 600 - 331K
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    I've seen a lot of renders looking skywards lately so I thought I'd add my own.
    The crane was not made by me but I thought it would make a good subject.
    It could do with a lick of paint.
    amazing perspective
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:

It's an improvement and it's looking good.
    My only concern would be for the nose of the horse on the right which looks like it's too far into the ground.
    If it was my pic, I'd be tempted to either repose the horse so it's head wasn't hung as low or try and move the horse forwards to see if the ground drops away enough for it's feet to still be grounded but it's head isn't.

And it's given me a nice segue to show my remodelled pencil and newly modelled pencil sharpener. :-)

PencilSharp.jpg
    1100 x 407 - 454K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you. I liked how it turned out for my first time trying that method.

@David: I used Bryce's Pleasant Afternoon sky, with HDRI effect set to 200. Now that you mentioned it, it does look like it's been submerged. Maybe someone's tub overflowed. Like the look of this dragon. It looks to me like either bronze or polished wood.

@Jay: Thank you very much. What you posted will be of great help.

@wilmap: Second image does look much better. The rolling ground fits in better with the surrounding mountains. As does adjusting the trees. Nice job.

@Dave: Your superbly done image had me shaking my head because of the lettering on the pencil. That's a real bad one Dave. :shut:

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: Your superbly done image had me shaking my head because of the lettering on the pencil. That's a real bad one Dave. :shut:

Oh I don't know. It sure gave me a chuckle. ;-)
    edited December 1969

My only concern would be for the nose of the horse on the right which looks like it's too far into the ground.
    If it was my pic, I'd be tempted to either repose the horse so it's head wasn't hung as low or try and move the horse forwards to see if the ground drops away enough for it's feet to still be grounded but it's head isn't.

The horses nose is no were near the ground. Take a look at the shadow and you'll see that.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited March 2013

Dave, showing his age, in these enlightened times - as doubtless he truly knows - it is almost exclusively graphite (which not only makes a good lubricant, but also (again, after seeing all the motorcycle renders he'll have probably done this too) can be used to fatten up the spark on your spark plug when your struggling to get your bike started - another tactic is to balance the plugs over the gas ring and heat them up - then juggle them back to the bike). Edit: Oh yes, and it's a great render Dave, I like the reflective surface effect in particular and the grippy metal finish to the sharpener.

Jamie, if you are using a Bryce sky generated HDRI for your internal lighting, you might want to experiment with boosting the sun intensity before converting it HDRI. So long as the Sun in shown as a visible object in the sky, some account is taken of the suns intensity as it is converted, this will give you a higher contrast HDRI to work with and give more structure to your lighting. Or use one of Horo's HDRI supplied with 7.1 Pro that features a prominent sun since that will have huge dynamic range.

Stuart, nice perspective, reminds me of Stalker (the video game) for some reason.

Wendy, your improvements helped but I will suggest changing either the scale of the hills or the shape of them. At the moment they have the shape of mountains but the size of hills, those sheer walls look about the height of your trees which are scaled to your horses. What I recommend is looking at images on google images of the kind of terrain shapes you are looking for and then try and coax that out of the terrain editor. The overall balance of light looks good in this scene, so you have in effect got over one of the biggest hurdles, so it is worth making a few variations to see what happens.

Speaking of variations... since I've been busy I've let my computer crunch some numbers in my absence. A bit radical this.

TA_series_lighttest6.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 549K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

@StuartB4 - good render. I like how the the DOF lookas.

@TheSavage64 - excellent models and superbly lit.

@David - nice colours. While your computer crunched some numbers, the dragon has crunched quite a lot of pistachios by the amount of shells it's standing on.

edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    The horses nose is no were near the ground. Take a look at the shadow and you'll see that.

Aaah sorry ignore me then... I was seeing the horse's front right leg/hoof as part of it's head. :)
    edited December 1969
    Wire_sculpt_dragons_head.jpg
    700 x 525 - 158K
    edited December 1969

Interesting - reminds me of the wire-trick in Bryce.

edited December 1969

Another doodle with the Ivy Generator.

TA_series_lighttest7.jpg
    1133 x 850 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Those are great David!

No leaves.... I can play with that one. :-)

Meanwhile I originally designed this advert for Chewits about 8 years ago and I did the original illustration in Adobe Illustrator.
    Today for no reason, I wondered if I could reproduce it in Bryce... Just the Penrose Triangle part. I know I could have done the background too, but today's nearly finished now and I didn't have time to do that bit so I cheated.

ChewitAd1.jpg
    525 x 750 - 505K
    edited December 1969

@David - looks like stooges.

@TheSavage64 - chewits look great. I wonder what happens if I chew my wits :)

edited December 1969

I redid that Wings3D model David covered in the Wings/Multi-Replication video (though I opened floor and ceiling). I only used the model and made it 10 storeys high and distributed 15 radials with 20% soft shadows. Backdrop with the clouds is my Illpass HDRI. It has a prominent sun therefore also 20% soft IBL shadows, rendered premium with 64 rpp, which took a while. The camera is at 180° FOV, but no fancy lens used.

HoleyRooms.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 213K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited March 2013

David...that first ivy one would make for a great abstract sculpture. Btw, 3D printers are now becoming commercialy available to everyone, I wonder, then, would it be possible to turn a Bryce created object into an actual physical one.

I think one would have to save the object as an SDL file, and from there then use it with the 3D printer. Just tried to see if Bryce can export an object as an SDL, but don't see anything. Would that be correct? I suspect there might be 'wares out there to do a workaround this - turn an .obj, .obp, into an .sdl, turn a .br file into sdl...etc.

Edit: N1, Horo......very modern, futuristic interior feel it.

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited March 2013

Meanwhile I originally designed this advert for Chewits about 8 years ago and I did the original illustration in Adobe Illustrator.
    Today for no reason, I wondered if I could reproduce it in Bryce... Just the Penrose Triangle part. I know I could have done the background too, but today's nearly finished now and I didn't have time to do that bit so I cheated.

Oh, that is sooooo M.C. Escher. ;-)
    Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

Horo, I like that, indeed it reminded me of something I liked just a few days ago http://davidbrinnen.deviantart.com/art/Knowledge-coils-356609689

Dave, like it, but now you've made me crave Chewits!

Jay, would like to give a 3D printer a go, but I imagine it's quite a pricey proposition and I'm still saving up for bits for my computer.

More noodling,

Vicky_Mythago_head1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 313K
This discussion has been closed.