Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited March 2013

This one started life following David's Bryce 15 minute scene - quick and dirty photorealism - a tutorial by David Brinnen but ended up somewhere else... still, it turned out Ok(ish).
    Then I had to play around a bit more and mix it up a bit.

It has raised a question that may have been answered already, but in a scene like this, what is the advantage (if any) of using the Obscure Lighting set up over simply setting up a regular IBL?

Beautiful renders. As to why. Well, no shadow casting is used with obscure lighting, except for the sun. The TA rendering mode accounts for all ambient light paths irrespective of if the geometry has no direct path to the IBL, light gathering will put out feelers from the surface and move from surface to surface until max ray depth is exhausted. It will also take account of the impact of contacting a coloured surface (modifying the colour of the ambient light) or a transparent surface and reflective surface, generating more feelers (hence the impact on TA if these properties are present in any quantity).

IBL is just good direct lighting and depending complexity of the model and the materials, a large number of simulated light sources are required to approach the quality of ambient light generated by TA. Another issue is that with IBL to get good ambient light modelling often a lower dynamic range image is needed than you would want for the background image. Obscure combines the advantages of your high dynamic range background image with your low dynamic range requirements for good ambient simulation. You do loose the keylight, often in HDRI the sun, but that can be restored by using the Bryce sun.

In the end the best method is the one which works best for the scene.

Obscure for still life with a predominant matt component and some reflective surface.
    Standard scattering corrected TA or IBL for landscapes.
    IBL backdrops and radials for transparent and predominantly reflective surfaces.

Roughly speaking.

Edit: Horo's cross-posting today gives you the short answer!

Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited March 2013

Little filter test, using the top edge of one of Horo's vignetting filters, Dan volumetric fog (but with receive shadows set) and my own clouds provided with the Big Sur free content scene.

Edit: The man behind Bryce Tutorials other website http://www.tinyislandcomputers.co.uk background(s) by me, rendered in Bryce.

Filter_test.jpg
    700 x 394 - 74K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Mirror fun again: This time instead of positioning the camera (fov = 180) to look up through the mirror tunnel’s long axis, it is situated midway in the tunnel, and rotated 90 degs to the long axis (in effect looking at the mirror walls – of which an octagonal set of mirrors was used for the image below).

Multiple reflections again, and I suspect more mirrors would give other weird effects – “the more the mirrorer”...hahaaa ;)

Jay

skelies.jpg
    1124 x 866 - 731K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited March 2013

Guss nemo; Thankyou for the nice coment I will look at the link
    Horo and David; ok thanks guys... David you tutorials are right on time I will check it out!! Horo; I have 16gigs of mem so I guess im ok
    Savage; I really like your lion!
    mx426; good image
    Jamahont; The comet is cool
    bigh; I like your char. is it v4??
    chohole; clicked on your link it says I am not authorized to go there??

Post edited by Trish on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited March 2013

Thanks for the answers Horo and David. I'm not sure I totally understand them, but maybe I'll go back and re watch some of the earlier Obscure Lighting videos and try to get a better understanding of exactly what's happening... Sometimes stuff takes a while to sink in, but if I know what's actually happening it makes it easier to exploit it and play with it. At the moment I'm at the stage of just doing it as instructed without really knowing what or why I'm doing it. :)

Bullit; Thanks here's another one I left cooking while I went out tonight... this time cast in brass.

LionBrass.jpg
    480 x 600 - 300K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Guss nemo; Thankyou for the nice coment I will look at the link
    Horo and David; ok thanks guys... David you tutorials are right on time I will check it out!! Horo; I have 16gigs of mem so I guess im ok
    Savage; I really like your lion!
    mx426; good image
    Jamahont; The comet is cool
    bigh; I like your char. is it v4??
    chohole; clicked on your link it says I am not authorized to go there??

thank you - its Genesis

edited December 1969

A day at the beach - very happy the texture came over from DS - didn't think it would .

a_day_at_the_beach.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 511K
    edited March 2013

Savage; he is very cool in brass!!!

bigh; That is really nice texture!!

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the answers Horo and David. I'm not sure I totally understand them, but maybe I'll go back and re watch some of the earlier Obscure Lighting videos and try to get a better understanding of exactly what's happening... Sometimes stuff takes a while to sink in, but if I know what's actually happening it makes it easier to exploit it and play with it. At the moment I'm at the stage of just doing it as instructed without really knowing what or why I'm doing it. :)

Bullit; Thanks here's another one I left cooking while I went out tonight... this time cast in brass.

I will try and make an explanatory video instead of a practical video at some point. I didn't do that first, because it has taken me a long time to understand it myself. Nice render though!

Here's one I had cooking for a few hours.

Same method as here Bryce 15 minute scene - quick and dirty photorealism - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Bubble wrap material also from the Bryce5.com material exchange, made by me and hosted there for free if you want to pick it up.

Quick_and_dirty_photorealism4.jpg
    700 x 700 - 330K
    edited December 1969

Hello everyone; Its just me again playing around with some of the bells and whistles on Bryce that I haven't experimented with yet ...I messed with the IBL settings and reflections on material and the HDRI.....

pa2.jpg
    1310 x 863 - 564K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,527
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - looking food. The brass is quite convincing.

@bigh - nice water. Try to give the skin of the lady a bit of specular.

@David - bubble wrap looks cool on the dragon, nice idea.

@Trish - your messing with IBL didn't result in a mess.

edited December 1969

Ok, final mirror thingy - there are so many variations, you could be playing around with this forever. Below render looks like some kind of hyper-spaceship preparing for take-off. Or, is it just one of those lava-lamps :)

Jay

lavaship.jpg
    321 x 883 - 284K
    edited December 1969

Horo; Thanks if I would take the time to learn davids tuts I would be alot better.....

jamahoney; wow that is cool it does remind me of a lava lamp

• Waleed - JordanWaleed - Jordan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Ok, final mirror thingy - there are so many variations, you could be playing around with this forever. Below render looks like some kind of hyper-spaceship preparing for take-off. Or, is it just one of those lava-lamps :)

Jay

Nice looking colors
    edited March 2013

Cheers...bullit ;)

Thanks also Waleed...lava lamp structure here might be a new concept for your skyscrapers' project...hahaaa :)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

@Jamahoney - I see a skull, probably a bad omen for the future of the space ship ;)
    Looking great!

edited December 1969

Savage; he is very cool in brass!!!

bigh; That is really nice texture!!

thank you :-)

edited December 1969

Hello everyone; Its just me again playing around with some of the bells and whistles on Bryce that I haven't experimented with yet ...I messed with the IBL settings and reflections on material and the HDRI.....

very nice - keep it up

edited December 1969

top o day t' ya

top_o_day_t_ya.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 225K
    edited December 1969

Skin looks better.

• TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

ty for the kind words and the great art...

Here's a sampler of things imported from Poser.

thejumpwp.jpg
    1330 x 748 - 937K
    transubstantiationwp.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 831K
    aikohdriwp.jpg
    750 x 750 - 292K
    blackknightwp.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 818K
    aikomerbot3wp.jpg
    1330 x 748 - 1M
    edited March 2013

Fantastic renders, I particularly like the second and the last one. The Earth looks just great. Question: the second last had been post processed, it's not a pure Bryce render, is it? (Though it could be done). Ah, another Asimov fan, I haven't noticed before.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Ah, another Asimov fan, I haven't noticed before.

Me too!!! I love Asimov, though I haven't read any of his books in recent years, I still have them all. One of these days I'm going to read the Foundation series again.
  • TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited March 2013

@Horo: Yes, that one was combined from two renders, one with the figure and one with the bubbles... the 2nd one is part of a series called "The Black Knight", I'll post some more of them.

...and I love Asimov. As i was mentioning to David on dA, my proudest geek possession is a signed copy of Foundation from seeing him speak a couple of times back in the late 70s.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/TLBKlaus/foundation.jpg :D

Post edited by TLBKlaus on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: The first of your latest dragons looks like a sand casting that has yet been cleaned. The next one, the scales just pop. When I first saw it I saw snake skin right off the bat. That's a really nice image. And I've see your sky image a time or two for real. That's nicely done.

@Dave: Your first and third lion look really good. But the second one, oy, I'd hire a better painter. :-) All three are amazing, as usual.

@Jay: The skeletons are really neat looking. As to the capsule, I hope that guy sitting on its seat isn't too cramped. I really like that one.

@bigH: I keep waiting to see tentacles come up out of the water and grab your first figure. The second figure looks good.

@Trish: Love your results from playing around.

@TLBKlaus: Wow, that's about all I can say. Like Horo, the next to the last image is wonderful. And I'm another Asimov fan, too bad he's no longer with us. Foundation, and the I Robot books are super. As are the others he wrote.

I finally got around to trying Jay's mirror tower. Below are two images using the same object I made in Wings; when David introduced his fancy spheres. Just never took the time to play around with it. The object is close to the camera in the first image, and towards the tower top in the second.

Purple_Shattered_Sphere_w_Lip_757_x_757_1.png
    757 x 757 - 750K
    Purple_Shattered_Sphere_w_Lip_810_x_607_1.png
    810 x 607 - 792K
    edited December 1969

Yesterday I spent some time catching up on some of the video tutorials and re-watching some of the old ones (It's amazing how stuff that made no sense a few years ago now makes sense).

It all resulted in spending the day messing around in the Mat Lab and DTE.
    I also managed to get the leaves on the Ivy Generator working fine on the Mac version. I've no idea why they didn't work the first time I played with it.

IvyLionBig.jpg
    960 x 1200 - 590K
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: Your first and third lion look really good. But the second one, oy, I'd hire a better painter. :-) All three are amazing, as usual.

Thanks Guss.
    That'll be why the second one went rusty so quickly.

(more playing with the Mat Lab and DTE).

RustyLion.jpg
    600 x 600 - 446K
    edited December 1969

bigh;thanks love the green hair
    TLB Klaus; beautiful stuff I'm with Horo second to last is my favorite
    GussNemo thank you nice bright colors and the patterns are cool
    Savage64; The lion with the ivy is amazing

I to have been playing with the ivy generator ( thanks David for pointing out such a neat program!!) This is up close in the fog with the bamboo wood material

ivy_in_the_fog2.jpg
    695 x 347 - 210K
    edited December 1969

Guss...excellent results! Love the second one best...it's like some kind of electron microscope image of a spore or pollen.

Jay

• Waleed - JordanWaleed - Jordan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Cheers...bullit ;)

Thanks also Waleed...lava lamp structure here might be a new concept for your skyscrapers' project...hahaaa :)

Jay

Really , hhhhhhhhhhhhhh nice conception Jay but it is small comparatively with my towers by the way hhhhhhhhhhhhhh
This discussion has been closed.