Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,021

I had to start somewhere.  :>

head wax said:
    Diomede said:

@UnifiedBrain

Here are several images that I did before I discovered the volumetric primitive pass.  Since then, I have generally used postwork so that I can combine dynamic hair from a photoreal render with toon or npr renders.  A lot of these are not so great, but hopefully I am learning and gettng better.  From a technical standpoint, they do show the lines, colors, etc. that can be done with Carrara native Toon III and NPR renders.

thanks for that, its an  interesting progression! :)

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Diomede said:

To handle eyelashes, I enter the modeling room of the figure, use select by shading domain to select the eyelashes, and then pull them back in the head.  If it is a genesis figure, I just ignore the protected topology warning.

Funny, I was tearing my hair out a few days ago, wondering why the eyes were so black.  Then it suddenly clicked - it's the mesh!  I double clicked the model, and indeed it was the mesh.  But I know nothing about altering meshes on figures, so I just gave up and moved on.

Now you and Wendy have both said the same thing, so that was nice verification.  But this selecting and pulling the eylashes back into the head - is this fairly hard for the non-modeler?  If so, please don't go to a lot of trouble explaining.  I will wait a few weeks when I finally get to modelling.

Until then, I'm intentionally doing renders where black eyes look kind of cool. smiley

edited March 2017
    Diomede said:

Here are several images that I did before I discovered the volumetric primitive pass.

I'm assuming that you mean the volume primitave pass in the multipass render process.  I look forward to learning more about that, thanks!

Diomede said:

Since then, I have generally used postwork so that I can combine dynamic hair from a photoreal render with toon or npr renders.

By dynamic hair, I assume that you mean Carrara hair.  So it doesn't work in NPR?

Diomede said:

A lot of these are not so great, but hopefully I am learning and gettng better.  From a technical standpoint, they do show the lines, colors, etc. that can be done with Carrara native Toon III and NPR renders.

They look pretty good to me.  Most of these were toon III renders, right?  That's my guess, because of the wide color spectrum, which is difficult (impossible?) in NPR .  Please correct me if i am wrong.

Diomede said:

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    Diomede said:

I had to start somewhere.  :>

head wax said:
    Diomede said:

@UnifiedBrain

Here are several images that I did before I discovered the volumetric primitive pass.  Since then, I have generally used postwork so that I can combine dynamic hair from a photoreal render with toon or npr renders.  A lot of these are not so great, but hopefully I am learning and gettng better.  From a technical standpoint, they do show the lines, colors, etc. that can be done with Carrara native Toon III and NPR renders.

thanks for that, its an  interesting progression! :)

sorry it was a compliment :)

edited March 2017

It is very simple.  You don't need to know anything about modeling.

Open the figure group and select the mesh level.  For M4/V4 and earlier, it is called "model."  For Genesis and genesis 2 and genesis 3, it is called "actor."  Click the wrench in the upper right of the assemble room.  This takes you to the vertex modeler.  For genesis and related you will get a protected topology warning.  I just ignore that.  Along the top menu of the vertex modeling room is the word "selection."  Click that.  Then choose "select by" and then "shading domain."  One of the existing shading domains will be called eyelashes or something similar, depending on the model.  Select it.  The eyelashes will turn red.  A cross hair with arrows will appear.  Simply click the appropriate arrow with your mouse and drag the eyelashes backward into the head.  You are done.  Click the hand in the upper right to return to the assemble room.

bb13 select by shading domain eyelashes.JPG
    1662 x 952 - 220K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited March 2017
    Diomede said:

It is very simple.  You don't need to know anything about modeling.

That was AWESOME!  Thank you so much.

Vicky sends her thanks as well.  She was secretly getting tired of looking beat up. smiley

And considering that it is VERY likely that I am the only person in this thread who didn't already know how to do this, double extra thanks!

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited April 2017

I have never even tried the NPR before, so thanks for this thread!

My first observation: holy cow it's slooooooowwwwww.  I immediately missed the multi-threading; just doing outline only took close to 40 minutes at 1100x1300.

My second observation: wow, it's cool! :)

I just entered this one in the current bi-weekly PC forum challenge.  Only the linework is from the NPR, the rest of it is a couple regular render passes modified and composited in Photoshop, but I can see how I would do most of this with just the NPR if I had time to wait. Incidentally that helmet shows off another thing I love about working in Carrara: I thought he needed some head protection so I modeled that in about 60 seconds right in the scene.  It's silly but I thought the added detail came out nice. laugh

Same renders but different postwork:

Dragon Hunter Final.jpg
    1100 x 1300 - 1M
    Dragon Hunter 002 Final.jpg
    1100 x 1300 - 1M
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

Nice.  I agree, it really is fun, and you can probably do it all in NPR.

Not sure why your stuff is taking so long, even without the multithreading.  I only have an i5, and renders are usually under a minute at 3000x1700.

edited April 2017

No, Carrara's dynamic hair does not give good results in toon or NPR.

Some of the links are straight toon.  Some are straight NPR.  And for some I combined them by rendering them both out then combining them on a plane in a Carrara shader mixer.

By dynamic hair, I assume that you mean Carrara hair.  So it doesn't work in NPR?

Most of these were toon III renders, right?  That's my guess, because of the wide color spectrum, which is difficult (impossible?) in NPR .  Please correct me if i am wrong.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

Nice.  I agree, it really is fun, and you can probably do it all in NPR.

Not sure why your stuff is taking so long, even without the multithreading.  I only have an i5, and renders are usually under a minute at 3000x1700.

Weird.  The regular render for this took about 20 seconds but the NPR one just crawled.  I went and ate dinner and came back and it was only about 85% done.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179

I've only skipped through this discussion (impressive results!) and maybe missed it, but is anyone doing animation with Carrara's NPR renderer?  I vaguely recall giving it a shot long ago and finding the render times pretty long.  Although keep in mind I'm always in a 48 Hour Film contest mode (two days for a five minute animation), so 30 seconds per frame is a little long ... (720x480 frame size, just standard lighting, etc.)

edited April 2017

I have done some tests, but I generally just do stills.  Depending on the scene and the settings, the NPR can take a while to render.  But then again, so can the photoreal render if there are caustics, etc.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited April 2017

Thanks for the compliments .. some real useful tips being posted on how to start doing your NPR images yes

I did this just now... NPR no postwork

1 scene light set to 150
    Scene Ambient set to 50
    Used Sparrowhawkes Edge Falloff in all the Translucency and glow channels of all the items and skins.

Played with the NPR line, highlights, shadows and background settings and brushes.

Dude.jpg
    800 x 600 - 201K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179
    Diomede said:

I have done some tests, but I generally just do stills.  Depending on the scene and the settings, the NPR can take a while to render.  But then again, so can the photoreal render if there are caustics, etc.

Agreed on the photoreal renderer.  But with just basic settings, it can be very fast, like 10 seconds per frame or less (agains at 720x480 frame size, "preliminary" to many but adequate for the 48 Hour Film contest ... barely).  I recall not finding any settings that got the NPR close to that kind of speed.  I realize that is not a criticism, since nobody but me (literally, almost, but a few in the worldwide contest) tries to do a 5 minute animation in two days.

Just an aside, here is a very funny ~stop motion animation from the Houston contest some years back.  It had the audience at the screening applauding wildly.

laughlaughyesyes

Steve K said:

Just an aside, here is a very funny ~stop motion animation from the Houston contest some years back.  It had the audience at the screening applauding wildly.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

I have posted quite a few Carrara renders and videos in the NPR render hread in Art studio

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54697/non-photorealistic-renders-npr#latest

edited April 2017
    Stezza said:

1 scene light set to 150
    Scene Ambient set to 50
    Used Sparrowhawkes Edge Falloff in all the Translucency and glow channels of all the items and skins.

Played with the NPR line, highlights, shadows and background settings and brushes.

Wow!  No multipass?

I'm totally unfamiliar with the Sparrowhawke plugin.  Does it make that much of a difference?  What does the render look like without it?

I did find this link which discusses the issue a bit, but it would be nice to get some direct feedback.

MDO2010 said:

I have never even tried the NPR before, so thanks for this thread!

My first observation: holy cow it's slooooooowwwwww.  I immediately missed the multi-threading; just doing outline only took close to 40 minutes at 1100x1300.

My second observation: wow, it's cool! :)

I just entered this one in the current bi-weekly PC forum challenge.  Only the linework is from the NPR, the rest of it is a couple regular render passes modified and composited in Photoshop, but I can see how I would do most of this with just the NPR if I had time to wait.

Hi really like both those renders ! I wonder why it ios taking so long, matbe turn shadows off as Stezza suggested?

Diomede said:

laughlaughyesyes

Steve K said:

times two :)

Diomede said:

th3Digit said:

I have posted quite a few Carrara renders and videos in the NPR render hread in Art studio

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54697/non-photorealistic-renders-npr#latest

Wendy it's great that you are getting themn out there - would be good to attract NPR users to Carrara. :) 

Stezza said:

Thanks for the compliments .. some real useful tips being posted on how to start doing your NPR images yes

1 scene light set to 150
    Scene Ambient set to 50

Stezza thanks again for that. I really like how the body turned out!

edited April 2017

Had a bit of luck today, I sat down with Hamlet and tooned all his shaders (ToonPro) and did a few renders with the Toon1Pro111 engine - and discovered 'show photon map" gives interesting  results - see settings for all. 

His hat's a bit funy mind you but I like the colour spill.

I'm pretty sure Ambeint was 100 percent (Carrara crashed before I coulkd look) 

goodsettings.jpg
    2767 x 1404 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited April 2017

THis was the final image after post work. Also a BluePrint job via Filter Forge . The wall paper is Vintage via Ron Deviney's  shop here. I did an NPR engine one as well but it was crap so I am keeping it to myself

:) 

renaissancemanToonPro.jpg
    2376 x 3000 - 2M
    blueprintF.jpg
    2376 x 3000 - 2M
    edited April 2017

Sorry to spam this thread but thought I'd share this. Had another win today after UnifiedBrain asked about the NPR. THe trick is to use reasonably transparent brushes and shirt brushstrokes. I picked one of the artists brushes. Just rendered the diffuse.

I made random Zero and ticked 'Hue" under orientation. In the Scene Filters I still had Toon1Pro111 loaded up with the same parameters as before (see previous post)

So the second of these is a straight NPR render from Carrara ie has no post work. The other has the outlines attached and a little Toon1Pro111 colour added in post. I didn't realise that Genesis had tears! I have no oidea why the face rendered so differently to the clothes (??) Any theories? 

The last images is ... suprise suprise  straight out of the Photorealistic Renderer. No kidding. From  fiddling with Photoncounts and innacuracy.

After Post Work

renasissancemanNPRO.jpg
    2376 x 2899 - 2M
    renasissancemanNPROnopost.jpg
    2376 x 2902 - 941K
    Tease.jpg
    713 x 900 - 202K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

NPR is not something that I tend to use - but there are some wonderful and inspiring images throughout this thread!  I hope it prompts more people to give this a go.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited April 2017

Fun with NPR smiley

with postwork added yes

wizards.jpg
    800 x 361 - 172K
    wizard.jpg
    800 x 600 - 784K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798

head wax:

You keep making reference to using Toon1Pro111 engine, but I can not find out anything about it via Google.

Also, in one of the images you posted in a post above shows a parameter window with the title of  " Toon! part III " .  I assume this is the engine, but I can't find anything on it either with Google.

Is it part of Toon! Pro?

Part of Carrara Pro 8.5?

Or, a new NPR engine that I can't seem to find?

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

It's built in to 8.5 - select the Scene and look under Filters in the top right tabs.

edited April 2017

Toon!Pro III is Carrara's native toon function.  Access it in the Assemble room by selecting "Scene" in the instances tray (lower right), then select "Filter" in the properties tray (upper right).  I have also attached a screenshot of the render room for a simple test scene.  This uses the "photoreal" renderer when rendering the toon filter.

ss01 toon filter.JPG
    1469 x 995 - 147K
    ss02 default toon render photoreal.JPG
    1550 x 920 - 113K
    edited April 2017

For the toon filter, you can edit its settings while in the Assemble room with the scene selected.

ss02b edit toon filter settings while in the assemble room.JPG
    1312 x 952 - 156K
This discussion has been closed.