Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited April 2017
    head wax said:

A few different treatments of PhilW's excellent City Central Night scene.

Terrific!  You should have saved this one for the next Challenge. (hint)

Then again, looking at your past masterworks, I'm sure that you will come up with something even better. :)

The canvas texture you used kind of looks like rain.  Some umbrellas would have looked cool.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    Vyusur said:

So I got out of the bins my dragon model to try it with Carrara's NPR.

What an eye-catching render!  But even more impressive is your dragon model.  Is that a Chinese dragon?  I haven't seen anything quite like it in the Daz store.

Have you ever considered rigging it and selling it here at Daz as a character?  We need more PA's creating products that work well in Carrara.

Well, I can hope!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Thank you, UnifiedBrain! Yes, it's Chinese dragon. I plan to modify slightly and rig my dragon. I have already rigged one model in Carrara. It's my Dino.

Dino3.png
    835 x 1000 - 1M

Great.  Pardon me for asking again, but how do you feel about the idea of sharing your creation, and becoming a Daz Professional Artist?

I'm not suggesting that this would be easy.  There is a vetting process which can take a while. But you have the talent.

The only Daz PA I know in your area of the world is Petipet (Petro Apostoliuk) who is apparently in The Ukraine.  His products are amazing.  His English is weak, but he has been nice enough to offer tips here in the Carrara forum in the past.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

On first pass I thought it was the Stanford Dragon - a 3D scan that is often used as a test of materials, etc. But now I can see it is different!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191
    head wax said:

Very nice, could be a New Yorker cover.  Sorta like this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/71/30/f8/7130f869d4e26157e4fd832b99726e7b.jpg

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    head wax said:
    @UnifiedBrain - sorry I have been away. 'No postwork' to me means no adjustment of levels saturation filters etc. That image I posted of man sitting down with skull and said 'nopostwork'  - that is the render straight from Carrara. I cropped it to show the interesting parts - and wrote stuff on it :)

GASP.  You...you...CROPPED IT?  Forty lashes for you.  Personally, I'll never trust you again.smiley

head wax said:

So I guess that bit is postwork - but where do we draw the line - as soon as you choose what format to save it in or whether you are saving with alpha or background, then it could be argued you are doing post work :)

Maybe, but I hope that it will be possible to draw a relative line in the sand that everyone can agree upon, when (for example) no postwork is part of a Challenge requirement. (hint)

head wax said:

For me it's all about postwork. There must be a million people who can pull off a terrific render, but often it's the post work that is a major part of the artists' 'signature'.

that said I admire people who do 'nopostwork'. 

I'm probably beating a dead horse, but to me, postwork and nonpostwork are both valid depending on the context.

head wax said:

But life's short _ can cover pokethough in post in two seconds whereas in carrara etc it might take me a few minutes.

Totally agree, especially if you are a pro artist where time is money.

Yes time is the most important :)

head wax said:

Terrific!  You should have saved this one for the next Challenge. (hint)

Then again, looking at your past masterworks, I'm sure that you will come up with something even better. :)

The canvas texture you used kind of looks like rain.  Some umbrellas would have looked cool.

Thanks, yes umbrellas are missing :) And the rain is.... rain!. Looking forward to the next challenge!

PhilW said:

On first pass I thought it was the Stanford Dragon - a 3D scan that is often used as a test of materials, etc. But now I can see it is different!

Me too, it's a pretty amazing work.

edited April 2017

@Stezza - that left click control works wonders thank you!!! really speeds up the work flow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

camel1.jpg
    3000 x 2250 - 4M
    Post edited by Headwax on

Steve K said:
    head wax said:

Very nice, could be a New Yorker cover.  Sorta like this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/71/30/f8/7130f869d4e26157e4fd832b99726e7b.jpg

Thanks SteveK, that's very kind. wouldnt that be grande? :) ( I;m sorry I just saw your posT)

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,695

Kobold Woodland Spirit & Darkwald, Toon! part III filter with Topaz filter postwork to bring out colours.

edited April 2017
    Bunyip02 said:

Kobold Woodland Spirit & Darkwald, Toon! part III filter with Topaz filter postwork to bring out colours.

wow, those vegetation textures look like kidsbooks I used to read - Topaz is certainy getting good results too

==============================

Out of interest: these links are about POSTWORK:

I found  these videos on doing postwork while utilising render passes - and though done for studio I  think some of it will be relevant for Carrara users who want to take advantage of Carrara's engine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l9qbXFRbCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtLR2CZuzJk

There's also JoeMamma's terrific thread on render passes and their use: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54406/compositing-and-post-work-what-is-it-and-why-should-i-care/p

there's also some tidbits on ao pass in this thread if you want to get a bit more 'texture' in your lighting https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/59112/reducing-render-times#latest

some thoughts on post work https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54210/blatant-postwork-cheating/p1

---------------------------------------------------------------

there's also videos on how to paint with Corel Painter by a talented artist named John Malcolm.. He starts off with a sketch in one and a grey scale image in the other - but it's easy to see how you can add a hand painted look to your carrara renders/passes. And the ideas will work in gimp and photoshop etrc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdtjgHxg6SM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZO66DxhFLY

------------------------

This chap is using some weird program ( :) ) but he shows you how to pai9nt over a 3d render (in Carrara case it would be a ToonPro line render) He also mentions how to use layer parameters - eg he uses the Overlay parameter to change sauturation and the Luminous one to change light. It's a bit fast but gives you basiv techniques. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqErHkNKwGg

----------------------------

examples of 3drender overpaints - pretty brilliant, shows you what can be done - no intstructions but you get a slider to slide bewteen the raw render and the finished product http://www.mclelun.com/2016/02/before-and-after-paint-over-3d-render.html

---------------------------------

couple of articles about fepth perception in Japanese prints - note isometric camera aspect in some of them

https://toshidama.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/space-the-final-frontier-the-problem-of-depth-in-japanese-prints/

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801
    edited April 2017

great links ... thanks
    This is 2 NPRs & 1 PR combined in PSE

This side up.jpg
    800 x 632 - 509K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited April 2017
    Stezza said:

great links ... thanks
    This is 2 NPRs & 1 PR combined in PSE

Super!!! Stezza, that's one of your best nPR works ever . The lined paper is  a genius touch to give it that doodle feel.

-----------------------------

more on postwork : but there's a good water colour workflow here I found for post work - also a watercolour app for win 10 whose name escapes me ..... waterlogue

Nice work as always Stezza.

Filter Forge has some great Creative Effects, including Watercolours, Crayons, Comic Book, Van Gough, various paint effects.

Would post some results but the Forums are not letting me upload for some reason at the moment, noticed that some others have the same issue in other sections of the forums.

thanks Bunyip - I have had filter forge for a few years but only just started using it two days ago

I'd be interested in any filters you would recommend

head wax said:

Thanks, yes umbrellas are missing :) And the rain is.... rain!.

Ha!  I didn't want to offend in case you were actually going for a different look. :)

edited April 2017

Never offended!

edited April 2017
    head wax said:

thanks Bunyip - I have had filter forge for a few years but only just started using it two days ago

Filters are a matter of taste, but these are the ones I have downloaded (Note that some of the earlier filters on the website will fail to download)

A Watercolor Painting, Abstract Grunge, Abstract Watercolor Sketchbook, AcrylicPaint, Aging Paper, Bright Dots, Brush Engine Von Gough, Chinaware painting, Color My Canvass, colored drawing II, Comic Book, Comic Book Filter, Comics and Toons, Comicstyle, Crayon Master v2, CrossBlur, Crosshatch Drawing, Digital Impressionism, Digital Brush Impressionism, Engraving, FractaPixels, Gouache, Graphic Novel, Grunge Art, Layered Tiling, Mixed-Media ILLustrator, Oil Painting, Old Book Illustrator, Paint : Styles 4-X, Paint HDRtist, Paint Thingy, Peeling Paint, PencilDraw, Picaso, Pin Up Posters, Pixelate, PlastaWrap, Polished Metal, Polygon Painting, Postage Stamp, Shatter, Sketchy Painting, Soft Watercolours, Stars Deluxe, StevieJ's Chrome, Technical Drawing, TechnoPuzzle, Tri-Color, Watercolor Painting, Wave Blur.

Plenty to choose from, click on Filters on the homepage, then go down to Effect Filters and click on Creative, then choose the filters that catch your eye.

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    head wax said:

Thanks, yes umbrellas are missing :) And the rain is.... rain!.

Ha!  I didn't want to offend in case you were actually going for a different look. :)

They were all wearing raincoats instead of using umbrellas.

edited April 2017
    Bunyip02 said:
    head wax said:

Filters are a matter of taste, but these are the ones I have downloades (Note that some of the earlier filters on the website will fail to download)

A Watercolor Painting, Abstract Grunge, Abstract Watercolor Sketchbook, AcrylicPaint, Aging Paper, Bright Dots, Brush Engine Von Gough, Chinaware painting, Color My Canvass, colored drawing II, Comic Book, Comic Book Filter, Comics and Toons, Comicstyle, Crayon Master v2, CrossBlur, Crosshatch Drawing, Digital Impressionism, Digital Brush Impressionism, Engraving, FractaPixels, Gouache, Graphic Novel, Grunge Art, Layered Tiling, Mixed_Media ILLustrator, Oil Painting, Old Book Illustrator, Paint : Styles 4-X, Paint HDRtist, Paint Thingy, Peeling Paint, PencilDraw, Picaso, Pin Up Posters, Pixelate, PlastaWrap, Polished Metal, Polygon Painting, Postage Stamp, Shatter, Sketchy Painting, Soft Watercolours, Stars Deluxe, StevieJ's Chrome, Technical Drawing, TechnoPuzzle, Tri-Color, Watercolor Painting, Wave Blur.

Plenty to choose from, click on Filters on the homepage, then go down to Effect Filters and click on Creative, then choose the filters that catch your eye.

Hey thanks for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's very helpful .

I see mr timmins posted a nice render in art studio forum using Sumi-e watercolor filter  as well

edited April 2017

Something worked up from renders for the latest challenge.

Doc1_Color.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 3M

Unreal.  Of course, I will eventuall want to know every secret you used.))

But right now, @Artini is filling the Art Forum with Carrara images which were made with something called VectorStyle 2 for Carrara.

It seems to be an older product, but it is the first I've ever heard of it.  It's currently on sale.

Is this worth getting?  If so, can anyone explain exactly why?

Thanks :) Ah Vectorstyle I bought a few years ago - and took it back. I bought it again last night after seeing artini's excellent work - and will take it back. 

For things like the filme reels (see artini's examples) it looks good - so hard edged simple geometry. For organics like the blender monkey example it's pretty useless if you want people to know what you ar rendering.

After an hour playing with it last night hald my renders were coming  out black,,,,

You are much better off with ToonPro in my opinion :)

Well, thanks for the feedback.  But more questions.

I went to the toon pro website.  Been there before it turns out, but too ignorant to know what I was looking at.  Now I at least have some kind of frame of reference.

How is Toon Pro different from the inboard NPR Carrara tools?

Toonb pro gives much cleaner out  lines - you have a choice of overdraw and also a choice of  having lines get smaller in the distance . Also you can get outlines on shader domains.

Coverage pass in Carrara gives mainly object out lines but not so much interior detail.

NPR is fairly indelicate. As is the  outlines in Toon1 part 111.

Toonpro you can also change the shaders of objects to give them a toon appareance by restricting the tones - but not my cuppa tea :)

camel1lines.jpg
    3000 x 2250 - 611K
    nprlines.jpg
    900 x 675 - 124K
    Coverage.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 161K
    edited April 2017

More questions: (if you get tired of this, just let me know)

1.  Could you have made the lines thinner on the NPR image?

2.  Why is the mane black on the NPR? 

The two questions are not related, btw.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited April 2017

1) Oh probably - there is a cripeman tutorial about making a blueprint :) the other thing was  the npr renders very slowly compared to the toonpro

2) not sure why the mane is black :) if you were doing it for production you would make a few renders with different settings and combine them in post :)

3) ask away - the more we know the merrier we get !

edit here's the cripeman tutorial 

edited April 2017

Today's work up. Looking forward to seeing other Carrara nprs !

Doc3_Color.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
This discussion has been closed.