Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Diomede, thank you for sharing your settings. It's very helpful!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

@MDO2010 - regarding postwork's definition and whether it is good or bad  - you said it perfectly, from my perspective.  For me, the label is merely informative so that a person knows what a particular software can generate.  If two of my images are being used to compare settings for a program's function, then postwork would often be bad.  If the image is for a different purpose, then postwork is often great.  I have different goals for different images.

@Stezza - love how you combine NPR and PR to create your sketch-like images.  yesyes

@Vyusur - wow, your characters are always beautiful, and never look like the Michael and Victoria figures.  I also thought of the actor, Robert Pattison.  Very handsome.  Great job.  You are correct about the limits of the NPR render engine and of Carrara's Toon!Pro III.  That is one reason to composite them with elements from a Photoreal render pass, as Stezza does.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,787

Thanks, head wax and Diomede, and also thanks for all of the tips so far.

Please keep 'em coming, everyone.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575
    MDO2010 said:

For me, I almost always use "no postwork" to mean "this is the raw render straight out of the rendering program" (I don't count minor cropping of an image or adding a signature as postwork though, but do count color adjustment, which I personally do on almost every image, as postwork) and when I see someone else say that, this is what I assume they mean as well unless there are clarifying/expanding comments around it.  It's a non-judgemental term for me - just purely informational.  No postwork in and of itself is neither better nor worse, all that matters is your goal for that image and if you acheived it.

As a creator, I'm interested in the tools/methods of creation. As a viewer, what tools/methods were used really doesn't matter. I would note the caveat that images created with readily available and easily used tools are also likely to be more commonplace, and this can be seen as a negative by some viewers. Different/new is in itself enough to be seen as more interesting or better in the eyes of some viewers.

Speaking specifically of postwork tools/methods, I personally see a distinction between manual and automated. For example, postwork that requires manual user input (like painting over a render in Photoshop) can make animation time consuming and impractical.

- Greg

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,787
    edited April 2017

Below is a toon render of Haiku for Genesis 2 Female.

It looks like toon filter preserves eyelashes.

Haiku02pic07.jpg
    720 x 1040 - 169K
    Post edited by Artini on

Thank you, Diomede, for kind words and for the compliments.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

@MDO201

@Diomede

@algovincian

Thanks for the thoughtful comments on postwork.

Appreciated!

Vyusur said:

Well, here is my custom G3 character in Carrara wearing clothes of Genesis 1. It was a challenge to make his wheel-collar working in a proper way.

Could have fooled me.  Looks really good.

You seem to be getting the hang of this rather quickly!

UnifiedBrain, thank you for the comment, but I feel my English is not good enough to be 100% confident that I understood the phrase «Could have fooled me» unambiguously. I just can't figure out the context.

Sorry. I meant that the collar it looked totally natural, and not like you struggled at all.

Thus when you say that you struggled, the results seem to say the opposite (even though you really did struggle)..

Putting it another way, you make the difficult look easy.

I probably should have said that in the first place. :)

UnifiedBrain, thank you for detailed explanation. I hear this kind of words since my childhood. Here I attached two pictures of my character wearing this collar: before and after weight painting.

Collar_before.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 152K
    Collar_after.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 154K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,663

Very nice work by everyone.

Fantasy Village by PhilW with Toon! part III filter, then used Topaz to bring out the colour.

Fantasy Village PhilW toon Topaz.png
    984 x 492 - 921K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    Bunyip02 said:

Fantasy Village by PhilW with Toon! part III filter, then used Topaz to bring out the colour.

That looks cool!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Very cool and interresting thread with impressive results!

And nice site Veronika, I'm planning to go in Moscow next year during one week before to go in Grozny.

Thank you very much, DUDU, for visiting my site and for kind words!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

You've got a really impressive gallery - I wish I had one tenth of your talent in traditional media. Is that golden bowl in your profile pic something you won?

I'm often amazed at the diversity of people and nationalities we have on this forum, and yet we still manage to understand each other - mostly anyhow.

Oh my! TangoAlpha, thank you very much for your kind words! This bowl is a singing bowl that emits beautiful sound that I bought in a shop around the corner.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

Below is a toon render of Haiku for Genesis 2 Female.

Artini said:

It looks like toon filter preserves eyelashes.

Artini the face and hands in this are superb. Nice work!

Bunyip02 said:

Bunyip, you've really bought up some of the elements in this to look like an illustration :)

MDO2010 said:

For me, I almost always use "no postwork" to mean "this is the raw render straight out of the rendering program" (I don't count minor cropping of an image or adding a signature as postwork though, but do count color adjustment, which I personally do on almost every image, as postwork) and when I see someone else say that, this is what I assume they mean as well unless there are clarifying/expanding comments around it.  It's a non-judgemental term for me - just purely informational.  No postwork in and of itself is neither better nor worse, all that matters is your goal for that image and if you acheived it.

As a creator, I'm interested in the tools/methods of creation. As a viewer, what tools/methods were used really doesn't matter. I would note the caveat that images created with readily available and easily used tools are also likely to be more commonplace, and this can be seen as a negative by some viewers. Different/new is in itself enough to be seen as more interesting or better in the eyes of some viewers.

Speaking specifically of postwork tools/methods, I personally see a distinction between manual and automated. For example, postwork that requires manual user input (like painting over a render in Photoshop) can make animation time consuming and impractical.

- Greg

Nicely said :) 

@UnifiedBrain - sorry I have been away. 'No postwork' to me means no adjustment of levels saturation filters etc. That image I posted of man sitting down with skull and said 'nopostwork'  - that is the render straight from Carrara. I cropped it to show the interesting parts - and wrote stuff on it :)

So I guess that bit is postwork - but where do we draw the line - as soon as you choose what format to save it in or whether you are saving with alpha or background, then it could be argued you are doing post work :)

For me it's all about postwork. There must be a million people who can pull off a terrific render, but often it's the post work that is a major part of the artists' 'signature'.

that said I admire people who do 'nopostwork'. 

But life's short _ can cover pokethough in post in two seconds whereas in carrara etc it might take me a few minutes.

Vyusur said:

Well, here is my custom G3 character in Carrara wearing clothes of Genesis 1. It was a challenge to make his wheel-collar working in a proper way. One of the problems of Toon III for me is jagged edges, and I don't know how to escape this. The Best quality of antialiasing gives nothing.

The first picture has been made in Toon III style, the second one is the result of tweaking NPR parameters.

Vyusur I like both of these very much. You've  really captured the character too.

edited April 2017

Ive started doing screen captures and saving them so I remember what seetings I have been using :) the still life is toon pro (commercial product) teamed up with Toon1part33 (Carrara's inbuilt render emngine) 

the building is a straight render

just noir architecture 

Toon1Part3withToonpro.jpg
    2976 x 1421 - 415K
    FilmNoir.jpg
    2156 x 1438 - 412K
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited April 2017

Dwarf with cat rendered in Carrara 

With post work done by combining different render passes ;) Including a line only NPR

dwarfreal_Color.jpg
    1485 x 2000 - 3M
    edited April 2017

Last two for the day 

These are made with the Carrara render engines all joined in post.

K4 in  TangoAlpha's City Hall

The new daz Rodent by am  with Carrara hair added. 

withnut_Color.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 4M
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,796

the rodent works ok in Carrara then?

does the mouth open... in his recent works the mouth doesn't open!

ahh I'll check - that would be a pita

yep works okay, by grabbing the jawbone - most of the morphs seem to work too 

ironically I forgot to save that last scene :)

Untitled-1.jpg
    2110 x 1077 - 839K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,796

sweet....  awesome work as usual... nice style looks great yes

thanks, I have no idea how I ended up with the two squirrels, I thought I was injecting a pose but it seems that the squirrels have something similar in mind.

• head wax said:

thanks, I have no idea how I ended up with the two squirrels, I thought I was injecting a pose but it seems that the squirrels have something similar in mind.

That's the problem with rodents. They tend to multiply given any opportunity. Didn't know for the DAZ version, but it shows how realistic they get :-)

This discussion has been closed.