Carrara CHALLENGE - Tomatoes et al #33 Chat Time

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited May 2017

Here is the PhotoReal renderer version of the same scene.

Same scene, changed lighting around to get some shadows.

grilled cheese and tomato soup 2b.jpg
    800 x 600 - 40K
    grilled cheese and tomato soup 3b.jpg
    800 x 600 - 41K
    assemble setup.JPG
    1643 x 944 - 201K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Yum!

I think the tomato soup itself is close to done, but I am open to more suggestions.  On the other hand, the grilled cheese sandwitch needs a lot of work.  I had started with a spline object and converted it to a vertex object.  I think I may need to start over with the grilled cheese. 

Perhaps... but don't wreck this save until you're sure. This last one makes me very hungry - so you must be on the right track. I Love grilled cheese and tomato soup!

• GKDantasGKDantas Posts: 200

Some amazing tomatos creations people!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I think the cheese needs to ooze more in the toastie, and you have a sharp corner at the bottom which shouldn't really be there. But the toast shader needs more work: to me it looks more mouldy than toasted. Also in reality, the bread would probably be compressed along the line of the cut.

Is that sharp shadow line a mesh artifact? if so you may need to up the mesh density (will make it easier to sag slightly in the middle too)

(goes off to make toast for breakfast . . .)

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Nice soup, Diomede. Should it be my soup, I would add some reflecting oil circles on the surface and softer and more transparent shadows.

edited May 2017

Thank you for the comments.  I will revisit the soup reflection settings.  The 3DPaint tool might help there.  Regarding the grilled cheese sandwitch, I'd better start over. No one wants to eat an undercooked and moldy sandwitch.

On another approach here is my first stab at a tomato plant with modeled leaves and procedural shaders using the plant modeler method described here.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2419726/#Comment_2419726

test render tomato plant.jpg
    480 x 640 - 29K
    test render tomato plant 2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 42K

Beautiful plant, Diomede! Carrara's trees is another challenge for me for now.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Diomede said:

Here is the PhotoReal renderer version of the same scene.

Same scene, changed lighting around to get some shadows.

toast    
             http://www.texturevault.net/fabric_fibers_g58-toast_p74230.html

edited May 2017

Thank you, Vyusur and Chohole.  Texture vault = yes​.

I don't mind sharing my failures.  Still learning from them.  So, here is how my bread got moldy, and sharp edges.  So, the bread started as a spline model. 

I used the pen tool by outlining the top mushroom shape with a diagonal cut.  Then I converted the spline to a vertex model.  It gave me an ugly mesh as you see here.

The ugliness of the model is reinforced by the uvmap.

My plan was to address all the circular holes and gaps in the flat side of bread with a procedural shader rather than with the mesh. For a grilled cheese sandwitch, I wanted different shaders for the outside flat space that would be grilled on the oily pan, the brown crust edge, the white side edge, and the inner flat portion that would not touch the oily pan.  One choice to be made is how much should the bread look toasted from a toaster and how much grilled on an oily pan?  Here are some reference pics with a couple others attached below.

And here is the shader tree for the top side of the bread - the side that touches the oily grill.  For the bump, I was going for a general graininess with a mixture of deep negative bumps, arcs, and circles, but also with flat swirly swaths.  For the coloring, I wanted the swirly swaths to be relatively darker brown with a yellowish hue and the negative bumps to be lighter brown with a yellowish hue.  I used a multichannel mixer.  In the first channel, I mixed two darker brown gradients in the color channel.  The bump channel mixed spots and noise.  The second channel mixed two lighter brown gradients in the color channel.  The bump mixed lumber and cellular. 

spline converted to vertex model.JPG
    1307 x 938 - 95K
    uvmap of bread.JPG
    1676 x 1000 - 170K
    201209tomato-soup-and-grilled-cheese.jpg
    800 x 800 - 152K
    e183a2e1839de1839be18390e183a2e18398e183a1-e18399e183a0e18394e1839b-e183a1e183a3e1839ee18398.jpg
    620 x 350 - 36K
    large_51094.jpg
    460 x 316 - 108K
    iStock_000005226934_Small.jpg
    849 x 565 - 662K
    wide_51094.jpg
    1280 x 550 - 145K
    11111 shader for top.JPG
    1339 x 1013 - 165K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Those radial spoke meshes are really horrid to work with!

If I might suggest:  start off by modelling the whole slice. You can use symmetry and smoothing and getting a nice uniform mesh should be pretty straightforward - it's basically a box with a few bulges and intents. Only once you're happy with it, slice it in two with a boolean or somesuch (booleans are not really bogeymen if you have a good mesh to start with)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Some great ideas here already - I particularly like MDO's paint can and potato/Tomato!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited May 2017

Hey Baby, Ya Want Some Tongue With That Tomato Soup?

Not an official entry.  Just messing around.  No postwork as usual (but that will be changing soon).

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

@HeadWax awesome for a childs colouring book yes

mmmm.. cheese toasties 

I think I'll have some for lunch today smiley

Hey Baby, Ya Want Some Tongue With That Tomato Soup?

Not an official entry.  Just messing around.  No postwork as usual (but that will be changing soon).

this fella needs to be juiced.... scarey stuff!... put him in blender! devil

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited May 2017

Early days - To Market

Steam Tomato 1.png
    1921 x 1042 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Bunyip - I'm liking the look of that one!

edited May 2017
    PhilW said:

Bunyip - I'm liking the look of that one!

Thanks Phil - still more work to do on the smoke.

Steamed Tomatoes 2 800.jpg
    800 x 500 - 547K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    Stezza said:

this fella needs to be juiced.... scarey stuff!... put him in blender! devil

Naw, Blender is too complicated for this simple tomato.  Besides, Blender hasn't been updated in at least three months.  Is Blender dead? smiley

Blender must have achieved the stability level of Carrara.devil

edited May 2017

Inspired by this challenge and as a little light relief from other stuff I am doing, I thought I would put together a simple tomato scene. The idea is to make it (ultimately) as realistic as I can do it - and it clearly isn't there yet, but the pieces are in place, all modelled in Carrara. Not sure if this will be an entry as it is so simple and unimaginative (compared to everyone else) but I'm having fun doing it. I'll probably end up rendering in Octane as I want to use SSS, but this for now is a Carrara render (with blurry reflections on the complete tomato!). I think it is going to succeed (or not) on the basis of the cut tomato surface, and the maps are pretty flat looking at the moment.

TomatoStillLife2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 28K
    Post edited by PhilW on
  • GKDantasGKDantas Posts: 200

Hexagon is far simple to use and model things like this one

edited May 2017

Improved version, Octane render with displacement, SSS, DoF, the works! This is the raw render.

Stezza - are Octane renders allowed?  It says Carrara-only renders, but does that mean native Carrara renders or allows Carrara's rendering plugins as well?

TomatoImage4.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    Post edited by PhilW on

Really amazing looking tomatoes there, Phil.  I wish you had a tutorial on these in your basic course.sad

Absolutely enter that image. The unsliced tomato kind of looks like it is floating off the table, but maybe it is just happy!

Now THAT is a tomato! ...and a slice! Very nice, PhilW! Very nice indeed!

Now just get those leaves less glossy, perhaps even a bit dry ;)

PhilW said:

Improved version, Octane render with displacement, SSS, DoF, the works! This is the raw render.

Stezza - are Octane renders allowed?  It says Carrara-only renders, but does that mean native Carrara renders or allows Carrara's rendering plugins as well?

wow.. can I eat it?

as long as the final render was setup/done in Carrara... if Carrara uses a third party plugin to render that's fine and dandy with the 'Supweme Wuler'  yes

PhilW said:

Great tomatoes Phil !!!!!!!