Carrara CHALLENGE - Tomatoes et al #33 Chat Time

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited May 2017

Used Primivol Rising Smoke on the Steam Traction Engine.

Steamed Tomatoes 2b 800.jpg
    800 x 500 - 545K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Looks delicious, Phil.  Extremely realistic. 

Bunyip, excellent tractor image.

Thanks for the suggestions on the toast model eveyrone.  I decided to start the bread model over from scratch.  In this version, I modeled some of the larger gaps in the mesh, but I don't think I like it.  I also had a grilled cheese sandwitchand tomato soup for lunch and took some reference photos.  Hopefully, will imporve the textures.  I experimented with generating a modifier t the bump map by exporting a map from the terrain editor.  We will see.

zz01 model and uvmap for half of bread.JPG
    1841 x 975 - 251K
    Bread 2 UVmap bread pasted 1.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 1M
    jj02 export toast bum heightmap.JPG
    1714 x 950 - 191K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Yes, bunyip02, I really like your scene!

I would love a trailer full of ripe tomatoes like that! Love the steam tractor too - and TA's scene is just fabulous! 

Cool to see the PrimiVol smoke being used! Yeah, that's quite the cool plugin, isn't it? 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited May 2017

Cool to see the PrimiVol smoke being used! Yeah, that's quite the cool plugin, isn't it? 

I second that, nice scene Bunyip, looks like an edgell country garden )

@Diomede  love your work and method-ology. thanks for taking us on the journey

@UnifiedBrain - classic tongue

and thanks @Stezza, and Bunyip yes the toonpro has potential  (love tjose incidental renders you are doing Stezza - spot illustrations

@PhilW I though that was your reference photo :)

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited May 2017

I just started messing with this tonight, isolating various new shading domains and changing stuff around, so I've only got so far. In particular tonight, the inner parts of the headlamp - the reflector is now quite reflective, the lamp itself is transparent, reflective, refractive, and on its own domain so I can illuminate it. I did some cool stuff with the shader for the tank and fenders, but I'm being summoned, so I'll have to talk more at another time ;)

Tomato Beemer

Tomato Beemer.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 465K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Very nice looking Phil... I grabbed the EVOO... applied but my sceen is now blurry.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited May 2017

TomatoMan and his sidekick Buzz-B

TomatoMan-Bug and Buzz-B.jpg
    800 x 600 - 314K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Dart, I like the bike! Looks like the old masters oil painting picture with contemporary element.

Classic Stezza, and yes Dart, I never realised you were such a romantic landscaper :)

Here's a 'Fool Juggling Ripe Tomatoes.'

Andrew, great and very creative picture. The only thing that distracts is too much of symmetry.

edited May 2017

Andrew, great and very creative picture. The only thing that distracts is too much of symmetry.

Thank you :)  that's very kind. Ah yes, I go for dynamic symmetry but I can see I should move that top tomato (for a start :) But you are right that's an interesting observation. Symmetry is stagnant. I have been painting square canvases for a while and maybe that's where it comes from. The compositional tactics of square formats have led me astray!

Here's some Tomato Pickers - sorry I finished this before I'd seen Diomede had done a Tomatoe Plant!

I worked it up like an old fashioned coloured black and white print

TOMATOfarmcroppedw.jpg
    2885 x 2053 - 7M

The top tomato is just where it should be. I meant, perhaps, two baskets would be placed on the one side and one basket on the other.

Vyusur said:

The top tomato is just where it should be. I meant, perhaps, two baskets would be placed on the one side and one basket on the other.

Right. Both baskets on the same side, and then one more added with them, leaving nothing on the other side. Three on one side, nothing on the other. Then put that fool in motion into a dynamic movement - one knee in the air, both arms and hands doing their thing, head going with the flow of the action.

It's good to see a balance in weights, but in the case of this image, it's also very pleasing if the figure would certainly fall if it wasn't for the motion it is in the middle of. Of course, look for images of "Jugglers in action" and we see a lot of symmetrical stances - which doesn't make them look very interesting. 

Aside from all of that, I really love your image! And the new one too!

Thanks all ;)

Drums dragging me away for a few days. Certainly not a bummer... trading one joy in life with another. Such is the life during non-winter months, so I'll really have to fight to get to Carrara these days - and I will.

Vyusur said:

thanks again :) yes I can see that would be better -

@Dart I will endeavour to have my Juggler prancing like Vaslav Nijinsky  in the next one ;)  Nice pic BTW

edited May 2017

singing along with Lyn Anderson.....

I thought I'd do a Tomato Frog ... then thought I wonder if there is such a thing as a Tomato Frog...
    I Googled and there is ... blow me down! 

Post edited by Stezza on

well if ther's a bannana frog there just has to be a tomato frog - looks good enough to p ut on a sand-witch

head wax said:

Vyusur said:

thanks again :) yes I can see that would be better -

@Dart I will endeavour to have my Juggler prancing like Vaslav Nijinsky  in the next one ;)  Nice pic BTW

Only if you feel like it ;)

I love your art - symmetrical or not. I got Carrara (and Hexagon) via the Figures, Characters and Avatars book by Les Pardew (DVD that came with), and I really only bought the book for that reason. But I can't have a book and not read it... and after reading it I realized how cool it is! All kinds of cool advice on posing figures, setting up frames, all kinds of cool stuff. Made me glad I got it! It has some nice render images in it too ;)

head wax said:

well if ther's a bannana frog there just has to be a tomato frog - looks good enough to p ut on a sand-witch

No! Put it in my pond instead! Cute little bugger! Nice... I mean Really Nice render Stezza!

thanks dart...

yes I did google the banana frog!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Dart probably has the ideal rock for your frog to sit on...

Many. And water too!

edited May 2017

Here's a second go of my work thanks to the previous feedback ;)

Half Blind Joker... The unadulterated render attached - beauty pass or not ;) I liked the 'beauty pass' but I worked on it to remove the harshness of cg (to my eye)

The displacement on the wall needs more smoothing

blindoker.jpg
    2140 x 3000 - 2M
    beautypass.jpg
    2140 x 3000 - 2M
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Great postwork, love what you did with the shadow. Great additions to the scene too!

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited May 2017

head wax said:

Half Blind Joker... The unadulterated render attached - beauty pass or not ;) I liked the 'beauty pass' but I worked on it to remove the harshness of cg (to my eye)

Heh. There is someone working on a juggling image in the New Users contest and I posted some tips there about how to make the juggling look more realistic. As a hobby juggler for 30+ years it can sometimes really bug me. Yours is obviously more interpretive than representative though, so I'll refrain. laugh

Agree with PhilW, the shadows look very cool.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

PhilW said:

Great postwork, love what you did with the shadow. Great additions to the scene too!

thanks Phil W, I think maybe I should have kept a little more crispness in his face ?

edited May 2017
    MDO2010 said:

head wax said:

Heh. There is someone working on a juggling image in the New Users contest and I posted some tips there about how to make the juggling look more realistic. As a hobby juggler for 30+ years it can sometimes really bug me. Yours is obviously more interpretive than representative though, so I'll refrain. laugh

thanks :) Yes the stance is a little silly, he's proving a point that he can stand in a basket of tomatoes on one leg and at the same time juggle tomatoes only using one eye. Of course in reality his depth perception is pretty well stuffed and he will be dropping most of the tomatoes, even with his fine tuned monocular clues to depth perception . Mind you he could have excellent hearing and be listening to the tomatoes as they fall...

The whistling whirr of falling tomatoes; we mere mortals can only dream of them.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    head wax said:
    MDO2010 said:

head wax said:

thanks :) Yes the stance is a little silly, he's proving a point that he can stand in a basket of tomatoes on one leg and at the same time juggle tomatoes only using one eye. Of course in reality his depth perception is pretty well stuffed and he will be dropping most of the tomatoes, even with his fine tuned monocular clues to depth perception . Mind you he could have excellent hearing and be listening to the tomatoes as they fall...

The whistling whirr of falling tomatoes; we mere mortals can only dream of them.

Ah, the sweet music of tomatoes floating gracefully through the air. Who can fail to be moved? wink

edited May 2017

Ah, the sweet music of tomatoes floating gracefully through the air. Who can fail to be moved? wink

Ha ha :0 Yes, but I am led to believe that a symphony of ripe pineapples is all the sweeter. 

Direct quote from the web .. I kid you knot. 'The butt of the pineapple is where it should be most fragrant, so put your nose there'

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    head wax said:

Ha ha :0 Yes, but I am led to believe that a symphony of ripe pineapples is all the sweeter. 

Direct quote from the web .. I kid you knot. 'The butt of the pineapple is where it should be most fragrant, so put your nose there'

my cat thinks that of his butt too, it's untrue surprise