Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited November 2017

How do you keep making that better and better???

Okay, here's a challenge. Someone posted in Commons about wanting an outfit with the sweater/hoodie tied around the waist. I could have sworn I saw an outfit like that just yesterday, when I was surfing the stores that are featured. Anyone know an outfit that does that? (They don't just want a hoodie, it has to be tied around the waist.) 

Edit- and in case you get the EULA to agree to before you can use DIM, it has to do with the 3D Printing. That's all that has changed. And in DIM, you are getting some free things added to the Essentials. (animations)

Post edited by Novica on
  • cismiccismic Posts: 629

Just a little mashup of sorts with some of the items. I'm also using the SLP Iray Hdri mastery lights which work quite well in many scenarios. I also bumped the gama up to 3. 

Description

Very fun image to create. When I was a kid I hid under the covers when the creature was on the screen.

Made with...

LOL  Creature From the Black Lagoon always was one of my favorites!  Sage looks appropriately clueless. Even as a kid, I always shook my head in disbelief that everyone didn't stay together, huddled in a group of lookouts for all directions. I'd be like, "You watch my back, I'll watch yours. And you'd better be watching REALLY good!" 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,830

@cismic Good one! I like the layered look

Novica said:

How do you keep making that better and better???

Just playing around with the parameters. I set them to extremes (even beyond the limits) to see what happens, then back off and make adjustments to get a particular look. I like the air resistance parameter as it caused the blanket to fold back on itself and introduced more bumps in the flat sections. I'm now playing around with the surface parameters.

RGcincy said:

@cismic Good one! I like the layered look

@Rgcincy, thank you!  I actually did all these layers in daz. Been trying to learn how to get closer out of the box. 
    @novica When, I was in the Marines, and saw movies overseas, everyone would be talking and yelling at the screen, to turn around, get going run. It was pretty funny. And, at the end big applause. :-)

edited November 2017

I'm trying to find a topic and finding everything but. I figured out a way to do it, but don't want to look like an idiot if there's a "click it and that's it" solution. (I don't mind looking like an idiot actually. If I solve something, I'll tell you how I did it. A creative approach is better than assuming everyone but me has already figured it out and knows it already.)

First, and not related at all to what I am doing, if you want a good overview of lighting (3DL) Maclean did a nice information page. It also covers DOF. 

10 Steps To Mirrored Cameras for Asymmetrical Figures or Sets

What I was curious about? Getting a mirrored camera. I did the usual, trying to reverse the coordinates, and it was whacky because the pose isn't symmetrical. So it turned out to be not as easy as it sounds. (Well, at least for me.)  Your scene has to be totally symmetrical to just reverse settings (I think I read X rotate was the main one, going negative or positive) But from researching forum threads, people weren't faring well with mirrored cameras, and most Google searches show up mirrors, not mirroring or mirrored cameras. If there's an easier way, what is it?

If you want a render of a mirrored pose, of course you could just do it in a graphics program and flip it. Me being me though, I want to set up a mirrored camera and avoid postwork. I also was in the mood to piddle with creative approaches. This works and it's relatively fast.

1. load the second identical figure (that had the mirrored pose) back to back with the original and keep them about 1/2 overlapped near World Center.

2. parent the mirrored figure to the original, so when you move one to get the pose view you want, you have the second mirrored one moving at the same time.

3. Make a Camera 1 showing the first figure.
    4. Make a Camera Mirror showing the second figure. 
    5. Using Camera 1, put the first figure where you want it.

6. Here's where you try not to laugh out loud.  Take a Vis a Vis and on the computer screen, draw a SHORT dask mark or a dot across on a specific part of the top of the head. (Like the center/side part of the hair.

7.  Also put a dot or small dash where the bottom of the feet are. Again, pick a specific area like the middle of the ball of the foot. Something easy to remember. No Vis A Vis? You can also use a piece of paper or index card and do tick marks for the distance. Don't use a permanent marker! 

8. Then using Mirror Camera, simply pull your second (mirrored) figure forward or backward until they line up, and the same part of the body is where the hash marks are. You now have a mirrored camera for an asymmetrical figure. Would work for sets too if you pick one piece of furniture or specific part of the scene.

9. Wipe your screen clean with a computer screen cleaner.

10. Use a light set that has Left and Right. (Pro-Studio HDRI)  Use Left for whichever works best (Camera 1 or Mirror) then when you switch to Mirror Camera, switch to the other, either Left or Right lighting.

So this worked for me. If there's an easier way, let us know.

My question is- Is there a way to lock the camera out in the viewport? I wrote down the cameras' settings to keep, just in case I forget and move a camera.

Post edited by Novica on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:
    My question is- Is there a way to lock the camera out in the viewport? I wrote down the cameras' settings to keep, just in case I forget and move a camera.

I don't know of a "one-button" solution, (I really think there should be one in the camera settings!) but if you select the camera, you can lock the Translate and Rotate parameters in the Camera tab. (Under "General,"  just like any object.) Just go down the list and click on the "Lock" icon. You can lock any of the parameters, but these six will prevent you from moving the camera from the tools in the viewport.

edited November 2017
    Novica said:
    What I was curious about? Getting a mirrored camera. I did the usual, trying to reverse the coordinates, and it was whacky because the pose isn't symmetrical. So it turned out to be not as easy as it sounds. (Well, at least for me.)  Your scene has to be totally symmetrical to just reverse settings (I think I read X rotate was the main one, going negative or positive) But from researching forum threads, people weren't faring well with mirrored cameras, and most Google searches show up mirrors, not mirroring or mirrored cameras. If there's an easier way, what is it?

I'm not sure I follow what you are trying to do. Is it the Camera Mirror you're trying to set up? Or a second camera to capture the mirrored pose?

If it's the pose, the correct Pose Builder for the generation you're working with has a Mirror button under Misc that will mirror the selected figure's pose. The figure will stay in the same place. If you still need to have both figures, you could duplicate the original and then apply the Mirror via Pose Builder.

If left and right on your figure, (or object,) are not important, (i.e. the character has a mole under her right eye,) you can set the X Scale to -100% to flip the object, too. (One of the PAs suggested doing that to put the steering wheel on the US side of the car.) I've never tried this with a figure wearing conformed clothing, though. Only on inanimate objects.

If you need to keep both figures in the same space, you could create a cube primitive, set the opacity to 30% or so, then scale and translate it until all six sides are just touching but not intersecting your first character, (sans clothing and hair would be easiest, I think.) Then position the morrored figure within the cube so it is just touching but not intersecting on all six sides. No Vis a Vis required.
    smiley

ETA: Remove/Hide the cube when you're done, of course.

Post edited by L'Adair on

Second camera to get the mirrored pose. I already knew about mirrored posing. But thanks! And ah, it was X scale, not rotate then. The cube is a fun idea!  Poor Vis A Vis could be out of a job! And thanks for the info on locking the camera. I figured it had to be someplace.

@novica would you happen to have an image sample of what your trying to accomplish? Trying to learn somemore myself. 

edited November 2017

I'm not sure if this is the mirror type of things you're looking for but, I recently did this with one of the DO's. I've been putting together images of how I created this or stumbled into the process. :-)

I wonder.jpg
    2400 x 3120 - 3M
    Post edited by cismic on

This was what I was putzing around with. I don't really need it for mirroring poses as you can do mirroring and the figure just changes and you can render from there. I just got curious on mirroring cameras when I was reading some threads and folks didn't have much luck with mirroring anything asymmetrical. Just got me off on a tangent, as usual.

Hmm, my studio isn't saving the render. Done it three times, correct file extension, a simple one word name (no funny characters.)  Anyway, what it looks like is just two gals standing back to back but overlapping.

LOL, one of the tabs I had opened in another window but had gotten shoved out of the way- on locking the camera view. Sheesh. My question was answered back in 2013, nothing like being four years late to the party.

Want your name (or kids/ grandkids/nieces/nephews/ANYONE) sent to Mars? Today's the last day. I've already got my name on the first chip, two years ago. Rather fun!  So go grab a boarding pass for someone as it makes a fun Christmas gift from NASA! 

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I ended up setting up a 'studio' with three locked cameras for my visual novel project.... face-on camera, then from each side as 3/4th shots. Getting the opposing-side cameras lined up was definitely a pain, and locking the translate/rotate parameters after was crucial. I don't remember if I had a good trick or if I just did lots of flipping back and forth.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,330
    edited November 2017

Using dForce on my existing clothing sets has been a bit hit and miss - quite a few crashes - so I picked up one of the new "made for dForce" outfits yesterday to see it that would work reliably. This is dForce Free Spirit on the G8F base figure. I'm very pleased with it, it draped without complaint and I really like the textures (it comes with a choice of four though this is the default one). I kept the scene simple for the simulation by putting a 32-division plane under the figure and running the simulation without the hair and without the environment in place.

The hair is the Super Messy Updo, and the scenery is another favourite of mine: Crescent Cove.

Free-Spirit-at-Crescent-Cove.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 601K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

That looks really nice, @MelanieL. The default textures work really well with the set, too.

@melaniel  +1 and nice lighting and posing too. Crescent Cove and Alsace are my two favorite water sets.

edited November 2017

Well interesting to see the Interactive License link on pages. Look at Lord of the Horses page (and the price. Grab it just for the sword LOL)  The horse looks somewhat like Stetson, but my horse does NOT come with a dude like that. Pity.

Nice price drops and ones in my wishlist were: Fairy Tales Snow White and Rose RedWyzaerds (and 2),  Castle Keep Two Dark TalesQueens Ballroom 1,   Dreamer for Izabella 7,  Downfall (Gen3M/F),  Grey Alien (G3F)  and more in the Middle Ages discount section today. I like the variety they are doing for the categories.

Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

don't forget, Lord of the Horses is a texture add on :) 

Novica said:

Well interesting to see the Interactive License link on pages. Look at Lord of the Horses page (and the price. Grab it just for the sword LOL)  The horse looks somewhat like Stetson, but my horse does NOT come with a dude like that. Pity.

edited November 2017
    jakiblue said:

don't forget, Lord of the Horses is a texture add on :) 

Novica said:

Yeah, I have the required one. Glad you mentioned it! 
    I'm loving the Jacuzzi Paradise and am picking it up. Adding Jaelyn to my Genesis 8 gals as she's $5.24 and 71% off. (Only doing 70% ups. Don't need more gals of any generation frankly.) 

Um, there's no Pepper bundle on the Shop page (that shows just the gallery.)  So if you like the jewelry, scarves, and Pepper, it's cheaper.

Post edited by Novica on

Another funny for you. Be sure and read the town names. You can go to... well, Hell.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    edited November 2017

Another take on the Free Spirit dress, which sees Our Heroine communing with nature and gazing with delight at the fishes, blissfully unaware that they're probably only near the surface because a thunderstorm is due. Hair is the Vertigo Ponytail, and the environment is a couple of bits and pieces from the Oriental Breeze Pool, plus a water shader from Mec4d's PBS Shaders Volume 2.

Any news on the barn owner's brother, Novica? I hope there's been some positive progress.

And how's Stetson's waistline doing? :)

Free_Spirit.png
    800 x 600 - 620K
    Post edited by BlueIrene on

Oooh I love thunderstorms! (But not when I'm out in the woods.) She's quite lovely and I like the lighting and water.

The barn owner's brother is awake, not breathing on his own yet but making some progress. They didn't do the tracheotomy, thank goodness. Can't remember if I told you he had five metal plates put in his ribs, they were pretty crushed. (I think it was to protect the lungs from being punctured too.) He is able to comprehend things now and they moved him to the Progressive Unit and out of ICU. He is very, very cranky as he doesn't feel well. So the family is rotating turns staying with him. Thanks for asking! :) 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

The link to Downfall isn't working Novica.  I click and nothing happens.

Glad to here that he is doing better.

Weird, it's the same link (or appears to be, but when I click it I get gobbleygook with % in it.)  I repasted it and it's working. Thanks!  It's a Fast Grab.

• Actually I live just about 45 min from Hell, Michigan.  Great state, you can visit Paradise and Hell in one day!  Paradise is in the upper peninsula so a bit of a drive from Hell hehe.

Novica said:

Another funny for you. Be sure and read the town names. You can go to... well, Hell.

Novica said:

Nice price drops and ones in my wishlist were: Fairy Tales Snow White and Rose RedWyzaerds (and 2),  Castle Keep Two Dark TalesQueens Ballroom 1,   Dreamer for Izabella 7,  Downfall (Gen3M/F),  Grey Alien (G3F)  and more in the Middle Ages discount section today. I like the variety they are doing for the categories.

I've had the Grey Alien in my wishlist since it came out. I like RawArt's aliens, too: HyGrey, also for G3F, as well as G3M. Anyway, I figure Grey Alien would make a good "child" for RawArt's alien couple, lol. I'll pick up the one in Fast Grab today, and the bundle from RawArt when it gets heavily discounted. (I'm not cheap. Really. I'm frugal. lol)

Actually I live just about 45 min from Hell, Michigan.  Great state, you can visit Paradise and Hell in one day!  Paradise is in the upper peninsula so a bit of a drive from Hell hehe.

Makes sense! Upper = Paradise and Lower = Hell. Does that mean Purgatory is on Mackinac Island?

edited November 2017

More learning on dForce. Been playing around with making messy clothes. Sometimes work, sometimes doesn't. Here's a couple of successes.

Post edited by RGcincy on
This discussion has been closed.