Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited November 2017

Marc for Michael 8       Morley Hair (Gen 3/8 Males)

I'm just not a fan of thinning eyebrows, or shaved armpits for men. I do like his overall features and the teeth are excellent. Very natural looking!

So I'll probably use the morphs but not the materials. Wish they'd focus more on brow options (give us several, like DM does) instead of the lower region options.  He also has stunning eyes.

MarcMorleyHair.png
    960 x 960 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,830
    Novica said:

So curious- which feature do you like the BEST? If you could only keep one of these two, which would it be? I think I get more benefit from the second one (definitely when Pro Bundles/Starter Bundles released.)  Do you use your $12 every month? I do.

a. the $12 in discounts each month 
    b. the discounts on DOs

Yes, I use my coupons every month too. And that's of more value than the DO discounts (although I wouldn't turn it down!). I also like the freebies, even if many are not things I would buy, as oftentimes they have props which can be used in different ways.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602
    edited November 2017

I like Marc a lot but I find the eyebrows frequently for this generation of men aren’t conforming to the brow ridge and look kind of unnatural. I love his pose and expression too.  

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited November 2017

Say hello to FWSA Jett for Genesis 8 Male      Kieron Hair/Whiskers

I have to admit I wasn't thrilled when Jett loaded up. I thought, "Ugh. Sketchy missing face fuzz." And I like him! It looks imperfect, and I bet a lot of guys can relate.  What's your thoughts? I would recommend reddish hair, as his face fuzz has a tint of red.  He reminds me of a roguish pirate.

If you have any of Jett, Marc, or Pepper, feel free to share!

JettKieronHair.png
    960 x 960 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • cismiccismic Posts: 629
    Novica said:

Say hello to FWSA Jett for Genesis 8 Male      Kieron Hair/Whiskers

I have to admit I wasn't thrilled when Jett loaded up. I thought, "Ugh. Sketchy missing face fuzz." And I like him! It looks imperfect, and I bet a lot of guys can relate.  What's your thoughts? I would recommend reddish hair, as his face fuzz has a tint of red.  He reminds me of a roguish pirate.

If you have any of Jett, Marc, or Pepper, feel free to share!

Nice kind of looks like a young Vincent Price. Could be a good char for mysteries. 

Godin said:
    Novica said:

@godin  Sure :)   And I did indeed buy River. Lovely gal!

Thank you so much! Novica :)

@godin and I have Sarah! I think she has turned out quite nice. Joseph Kravis

edited November 2017

He does look like a young Vincent. Good call! And good Sarah too.

Post edited by Novica on
    Godin said:
    Novica said:

Novica said:

He does look like a young Vincent. Good call! And good Sarah too.

@novica thank you. Can;t wait to see some mystery renders. 

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,148

Jett looks really good in your render.  Much better than in the promo @novica.  I think you picked a good hairstyle for him.

Jett looks really good in your render.  Much better than in the promo @novica.  I think you picked a good hairstyle for him.

@worldsedge  Thank you. With the facial hair being somewhat scruffy, I just couldn't see him with a polished-type haircut. 

edited November 2017

I can deal with painted on stubble but beards and staches can look funky up close. I think the hair is a bit off in coloration. The man is very fair skinned and the eyebrows are just a very unusual color almost red brown  I’ve never seen in nature. They are also really dense and painted on in appearance.

the eyebrows in particular are distracting to me

I'm going to disagree on the brows for this one. Painted on to me doesn't have all the individual hairs that this one has. I did say a reddish hair seems to look best on him due to the red in the facial hair, I can't see him with really dark hair (for that reason and as you said, the complexion.)  

I'm liking the variety of brows the vendors are doing, although some are pretty extreme in being asymmetrical and really sparse in places. But it's fun to see artists experiment. 

I haven't played much, but other than perhaps fluidity of expressions, are you folks seeing a big difference in Genesis 3 and 8? 

edited November 2017

Yes. The structure of the mouth and jaw is different as are the feet.

Autofit is kind of clunky for me this generation. Eyes render darker than previously.

In general I think posing is more fluid and realistic than gen 3. It’s more noticible  with the males than females who tend to have ten times more stuff and attention from the store and pas

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I think that the expression are superior as well as the posing.  I am movingas many of my character up to G8 just because of the expressions.  So far its working quite well, I am able to use all of my character content from V4 up to G3 and still take advantage of the better expressions and movement.  The expressions especially is what made me decide to move my characters up.

One thing I’ve found though is mouths can look sortof similar regardless of what is dialed in with these new expressions. Most people don’t smile alike but gen 8 does..l I am careful to try to vary the expressions because two characters with the same grin is sort of...eerie

One thing I’ve found though is mouths can look sortof similar regardless of what is dialed in with these new expressions. Most people don’t smile alike but gen 8 does..l I am careful to try to vary the expressions because two characters with the same grin is sort of...eerie

That's a good word for it.  You are right, it definitely looks odd if they all have the same smile.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,148

I've noticed the grin issue as well and found that after using an expression, softening the smile using powerpose can help. 

I haven't had trouble with auto fit, but my stuff is mostly gen 3 with some gen 2.

• I like Jett. He looks really cute in your render. I love that nose and I atually like his eyebrows. I did pick up Marc, but I haven't rendered him yet, I've been testing dforce on different clothing items. I've never really been a big fan of the painted on facial hair, especially with all the nice fiberhair beards that are out there. Does he even have a clean shaven option? It'd be a bit of a disappointment if he doesn't.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I'm in love with this bike: https://www.daz3d.com/jetbike But I absolutely suck at doing poses from scratch - does anyone know if poses were done for it, or can you think of similar poses for G3 (or earlier) that would help with starting?

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,386
    edited November 2017

I like Jett. He looks really cute in your render. I love that nose and I atually like his eyebrows. I did pick up Marc, but I haven't rendered him yet, I've been testing dforce on different clothing items. I've never really been a big fan of the painted on facial hair, especially with all the nice fiberhair beards that are out there. Does he even have a clean shaven option? It'd be a bit of a disappointment if he doesn't.

Marc doesn't so much have a beard as a little bit of scruff.  I trimmed down a render to make it forum-safe:

marc2.jpeg
    1199 x 962 - 343K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on
    edited November 2017

jakiblue said:

I'm in love with this bike: https://www.daz3d.com/jetbike But I absolutely suck at doing poses from scratch - does anyone know if poses were done for it, or can you think of similar poses for G3 (or earlier) that would help with starting?

I made snow mobile poses for g3. You might try. They are on sharecg. Link in my sig file

edited November 2017

I've seen a few posts on the Node Tool and thought I'd bring it up. If you're tired of the Universal Tool (that square box with arrows for translations and rotations out in the viewport) getting in your way, the Node Tool was suggested. It is an arrow. But other than going to Windows>Pane/Tab>Tool Settings, how do you get that little sucker to attach to the toolbar, like by the Universal Tool?  And the hotkey is Alt+Shift+V.

Post edited by Novica on
  • kloolessklooless Posts: 115

Mada has a video on how to add custom icons to the toolbar, just adapt as needed:  Adding Custom Menu Icons in Daz Studio

• NathNath Posts: 2,771

I think this is my best dforce explosion yet: the G8 Hinata dress.

hinata_g8.jpg
    893 x 977 - 150K
    Nath said:

That's impressive!  lol!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Nath said:

That's actually pretty cool. Hide the figure, scale the dress down a lot, and use it as a flower in either a bouquet, or on a bush. You could export it as a Wavefront OBJ after scaling it, import it, and then you can duplicate or instance it if you need more flowers. Use the X, Y, and Z Scale to give each bloom a slightly different shape. (Yes. I'm serious. That explosion really does look like a flower to me.)

• NathNath Posts: 2,771
    L'Adair said:
    Nath said:

That's actually pretty cool. Hide the figure, scale the dress down a lot, and use it as a flower in either a bouquet, or on a bush. You could export it as a Wavefront OBJ after scaling it, import it, and then you can duplicate or instance it if you need more flowers. Use the X, Y, and Z Scale to give each bloom a slightly different shape. (Yes. I'm serious. That explosion really does look like a flower to me.)

LOL - unfortunately I only have the screenshot and the initial scene, as Studio crashes shortly after the explosion (twice tonight). I do see what you mean, and I might try to salvage the explosion eventually. First now over the next few days/the weekend is to get the dress to work in dforce.

L'Adair said:
    Nath said:

That's the first thing I thought of too, like a peonie of some sort. Rather cool! Good luck with it @nath

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

thank you!! 

jakiblue said:

I made snow mobile poses for g3. You might try. They are on sharecg. Link in my sig file

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104
    edited November 2017

I got around to doing a render of Lucas 8 and thought it might be of interest.

2017-11-08 00:43:35.620 Total Rendering Time: 3 hours 49 minutes 19.68 seconds

Lucas 8

George Hair and Beard

Time Rogue Outfit

HDRI lighting

Click on image for full size.

lucas-8-001.jpg
    1000 x 1500 - 787K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
This discussion has been closed.