Carrara Challenge 35 - Tribute to Cripeman - Kapow - WIP Thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited August 2017

Not sure, but I do.  wink

But seriously, he does have at least one tutorial on rigging, but not one of a book as far as I know.  Here is one Cripeman video of rigging a reindeer.

If you are just looking for a rigged book with pages that turn, here is my rigged book at sharecg.  http://www.sharecg.com/v/88785/browse/5/3D-Model/book-turn-pages

The uvmap for the pages and the book's dimensions are both square.  Just select any image as your book cover or for a page, then change the book's dimensions to match the image's dimensions.

head wax said:

Hi does Cripeman have a tut on rigging book pages or magazine pages by chance? 

Post edited by Diomede on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Diomede said:

Not sure, but I do.  wink

But seriously, he does have at least one tutorial on rigging, but not one of a book as far as I know.  Here is one Cripeman video of rigging a reindeer.

If you are just looking for a rigged book with pages that turn, here is my rigged book at sharecg.  http://www.sharecg.com/v/88785/browse/5/3D-Model/book-turn-pages

The uvmap for the pages and the book's dimensions are both square.  Just select any image as your book cover or for a page, then change the book's dimensions to match the image's dimensions.

head wax said:

Hi does Cripeman have a tut on rigging book pages or magazine pages by chance? 

Rudolf!!  red nose  loll  heartheartheartheart

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

thanks Diomede, much obligio :)

• A3DLoverA3DLover Posts: 198
    Cripeman has left us,i so enjoyed his humor and tutorials.
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited August 2017

Cripeman - Atmosphere tutorial

A Howl of Sorrow and Remembrance

This project went so smooth it was spooky.  Used Carrara clouds, Carrara hair on Millennium Dog, Carrara text.... and a goofy rocket ship with a saddle, which is advertised as ""20 thousand pounds of thrust strapped between your thighs and a little piece of leather between you and the big black beyond....... heck yeah!"  Somehow, that sounds to me like Cripeman, the way he fearlessly plunged into those tutorials. smileyheart

Photoshop (PSE) tweaks at end.

Cripe memory.PNG
    1727 x 964 - 634K
    Cripeman smaller.png
    1600 x 924 - 1M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Excellent choices and execution, UB.  

Sponsors - Horo and David Brinnen

One of my favorite Cripeman tutorials is the one in which he shows how to bring Bryce terrains, heightmaps, and materials to Carrara.  Therefore, I reached out to two of the masters, Horo and David Brinnen.  They have agreed to be the sponsors of this challenge.

https://www.daz3d.com/horo

https://www.daz3d.com/david-brinnen

There are over 200 items to choose from.  Although there are plenty of products for Bryce that would require conversion as per Cripeman's tutorial, there are also products easily used in Carrara.  Here is the Cripeman tutorial that I was referring to.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Today's Cripeman Tutorial

Shadows

Image - When Holdens Ruled

Used an HDRI image and a shadow catcher for the shadows

click for bigga pic

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Mucho Gracias  Horo and David Brinnen...  Already a fan I've works from both of you.

and they are also willing to pop in and vote... +1 yes

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    Stezza said:

Shadows

click for bigga pic

Excellent dedication to Cripeman in your previous render, and also to Holden becoming a part of manufacturing history in this render. Is the Kingswood a Stezza original ?

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    Diomede said:

@Jonstark - used 3 particle emitters yes​  Can we replicate particle emitters?

You know, that's a great question I don't know the answer to  :)  I can't see why not, seems like it should be do-able.  In my case I got the particles to the right size and the forces wher I wanted them to give the right effect, then just duplicated the emitter twice and changed what was being emitted for the other 2 into those awesome LightX bulb lights (I will never use the default Carrara lights again now that I have the excellent LightX plugin)

head wax said:

@JohnStark, nice to see you throwing your hat into the ring

Thanks Headwax, I admit I've felt vaguely guilty because I haven't been able to participate in a while, but no way was I going to miss a tribute to Cripeman challenge.

wgdjohn said:

Welcome jonstark...  glad to have you on board.  anim looks nice.

:)  Thanks, even though I was dumb enough not to save and lose the whole thing (rookie mistake on my part lol), at least I was easily able to recreate it.

Bunyip, somehow I never saw that tutorial before, thanks for turning me onto it.   I like your concept so much I feel an urge to take a stab at something similar, though not for the challenge as I would only be ripping you off lol.  My thought though is that your scene is so bright that I immediately wondered what the impact would be like if the angel was in a very dark hellish environment.   And of course that sparked an idea for an image, so I might have to play around with it when I find some extra time.

Diomede said:

Cripeman has a tutorial on a mountain of skulls.

Cripeman has a video on Frank Frazetta.

But - can't link to it because a non TOS image becomes the icon in the forum thread.  sad

The fact that there is a tutorial for this exact purpose just shows how awesome Cripeman is  :)

edited August 2017

Stezza, very cool image, I like it very much, how did you get the banner to look like that?  Soft body physics or some bend and stretch modifiers, or something different?

Post edited by Jonstark on

This project went so smooth it was spooky.  Used Carrara clouds, Carrara hair on Millennium Dog, Carrara text.... and a goofy rocket ship with a saddle, which is advertised as ""20 thousand pounds of thrust strapped between your thighs and a little piece of leather between you and the big black beyond....... heck yeah!"  Somehow, that sounds to me like Cripeman, the way he fearlessly plunged into those tutorials. smileyheart

Nice!  Atmosphere looks great (well, so does the rest too).

So my 1st entry was based on 2 different tutorials, the main one was the forces tour:

Cripeman mentioned that the point force would be good for generating a magic effect which got me thinking, and then this steam tutorial: 

turned me onto the idea of using the glow effect of a bulb light to enhance the effect.

So my idea was to create a sort of a screensaver of a mage generating some sort of magical force in his hand.  I always loved those vids that Dimension Theory and Age of Armor did way back when where the only lighting came from the particles themselves, so I wanted a scene that started in darkness and then grew with light as the particles were emitted, then faded back to darkness again.  Here's a couple of screenshots of my setup:

Cripeman Challenge Setup1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 375K
    Cripeman Challenge Setup2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 377K

Pretty dead simple, single camera, one Michael 5 (even using the default skin) One Genesis hair and not even the full outfit since it was going to be a closeup shot.  There are 3 magnets on the head to make the hair fit inside the hood.  The hood has morphs to make it expand to cover the hair anyway, but that looked to stiff to my eye, I wanted a more natural looking hood effect.  I started to make a morph in the hair, but there were so many different material areas I was like 'why am I doing this the dumb way when there's a simpler/easier way).  Loaded up a couple of magnets, probably took me 10 seconds total to make the hair get inside of the hood.

Cracks me up that there's a discussion in the main forum with people trying to figure out how to make hair fit inside of hats naturally.  Makes me want to shout 'Just get Carrara, you poor souls!'    Super easy fix in Carrara (like almost everything is)

There's only 2 bulb lights in the scene, one of which doesn't light anything at all and is only there to give the glow effect.  There are 3 particle emitters (though it looks like there's only one since they are in the exact same spot). One emits the particles, the 2nd emits bulbs that light the scene and the 3rd emits bulbs that give the glow effect.  Here's the video:

I made a slight mistake in that I didn't let the animation render far enough that every particle disappears from the scene and it's left in total darkness, instead there are still 3 particles (and therefore 3 bulbs and 3 glow effects) even in the very last frame.  Anyone know of a video editor software that would allow me to render , say, another 20 frames at the very end of the animation and patch it all together with this one into one continual whole?

Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

Shadows

click for bigga pic

Excellent dedication to Cripeman in your previous render, and also to Holden becoming a part of manufacturing history in this render. Is the Kingswood a Stezza original ?

no... not the Kingswood.... lol

Thanks, I grabbed that from 3D Warehouse and converted and fixed it to work in Carrara... yes

thanks Jonstark... glad you like it smiley

awesome animation you got going there yes

edited August 2017
    Diomede said:

Excellent choices and execution, UB.  

Thanks Diomede!  Wonderful theme.  This was my first shot at Carrara hair.  Carrara is flat-out amazing.

Jonstark said:

Nice!  Atmosphere looks great (well, so does the rest too).

Much appreciated Jon.  Very cool animation!  I'm looking forward to a possible darker version of the floating planet as well.

Jonstark said:

The fact that there is a tutorial for this exact purpose just shows how awesome Cripeman is  :)

Ha, I agree!

edited August 2017
    Stezza said:

Stezza, you are killing it as always.  I'm almost glad to know that you didn't model that other car.  Your productivity is superhuman already.  smiley

Jonstark said:

I made a slight mistake in that I didn't let the animation render far enough that every particle disappears from the scene and it's left in total darkness, instead there are still 3 particles (and therefore 3 bulbs and 3 glow effects) even in the very last frame.  Anyone know of a video editor software that would allow me to render , say, another 20 frames at the very end of the animation and patch it all together with this one into one continual whole?

I use AVS4YOU, it's a one time pay for Pro or whatever they call it, mainly for converting videos but then I've not explored all it's many tools... one is an editor.  Of course you are welcome to ask in my Animation in Carrara - Let's Animate - Q&A - Come One & All thread if you wish

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    Stezza said:

Stezza, you are killing it as always.  I'm almost glad to know that you didn't model that other car.  Your productivity is superhuman already.  smiley

i second that, Stezza is having a well spent adulthood :)

• I want to enter this but am very stressed out due to work and possibility I may need to find another job, so my brain has not been able to focus on one thing for long.

I wanted to honour Cripeman's memory but just feeling I cannot do him justice at the moment, just explaining in case any wondering why I have not posted anything.

am glad you went with this theme heart

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Wendy - I hope you get your job situation sorted out.

edited September 2017

Wendy - sending positive karma your way.  wishing u the best

Here is the current status of my Frazetta and mountain of skulls project.  Combined 3 renders (photoreal, toon, NPR), and then used my render at 80% and a filter forge at 20%.  Misty's G3M Jonathan with Vyusur's Lukas character.

frazetta 1g filter forge composite.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 763K
    background NPR of background 2 trees right purple.jpg
    1480 x 1973 - 263K
    frazetta 1a photoreal.png
    1200 x 1600 - 2M
    frazetta 1b toon.png
    1200 x 1600 - 2M
    frazetta 1d NPR 2.png
    1200 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by Diomede on

Wendy... I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

Meanwhile I've been asking about Partical Emmiters and Forces in my Animation thread... got some great advice there... seems that I might be headed in the wrong direction... not unusual for me.  Instead of an anim I might be entering a still render of one frame that looks promising... maybe.

I ran accross a few posts by Dartanbeck in Misty's thread that some here and everywhere might be interested in so I've created Scene Lighting and Atmosphere - Come One & All in hopes of improving my own Lighting setup as well as creating kewl Atmophere and steping up my renders. 

Whew... Now I can concentrate on my WIP.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Beautiful, Diomede! Looks like classical book illustration. The composition is perfect.

Cripeman - Atmosphere tutorial

A Howl of Sorrow and Remembrance

cool use of items... I like how this one has come out.. did you model that helmet on the dog?

Reminds me of my old bikie mate who always asked the girls how would they like something red hot and throbbing between their legs... he had a red Kawasaki smiley

he would scare the crap out of me on that bike more times than I care to remember surprise

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341

UB - very nice, like the dog howling as well.

Jonstark - excellent.

Diomede - top render, and a nice double dedication !!!.

Wendy - hugs !!!!!

Stezza - always looking forward to your renders

Headwax, Misty, wgdjohn, PhilW, & Vyusur - hoping you enter as well.

Thanks to Horo and David Brinnen for being sponsors.