Carrara Challenge 35 - Tribute to Cripeman - Kapow - WIP Thread

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,339
    Vyusur said:

Anything glows lights, 3d aura etc.

Great atmosphere - keep waiting for the menacing alien to pop out !!!!

Diomede said:

Need to add my villain with a curly mustache and a stovepipe hat.  And, I need a better train.

Here, I've been experimenting with different ways of putting train tracks on a sloping and curving terrain.  A little more complicated than putting a road there.  There is a free program for roads, not sure if it would work with tracks.  I used the polyline tool and a sweep path to get the tracks.  The wooden slats are duplicated.

I don't like the sky, the light or the shaders.  angry​  We'll see if I can clean it up in time.  smiley

I will be doing some repicating along the terrain, as per Cripeman tutorial linked in my previous WIP landscape posts.

Nice damsel in distress - there are some free trains at ShareCG and also Renderosity.

Jonstark said:

Vyusur, that's looking great so far, I agree with the sentiment that it reminds me of Dartanbecks' awesome sci-fi lighting techniques.

Diomede, I love that concept and it's looking good, the expression on the girl's face is quite believable.  Did you model the gag yourself, or find that somewhere?  Also the way the hair is laying, was it VWD used?  I just realized the train looks really close, it seems she's done for.  :)

There's a free program for roads?  I hadn't heard of that, and that could be immensely useful.  Anyone know the name?

http://www.shapemagic.com/roadmaker/

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    Bunyip02 said:
    Jonstark said:

Vyusur, that's looking great so far, I agree with the sentiment that it reminds me of Dartanbecks' awesome sci-fi lighting techniques.

Diomede, I love that concept and it's looking good, the expression on the girl's face is quite believable.  Did you model the gag yourself, or find that somewhere?  Also the way the hair is laying, was it VWD used?  I just realized the train looks really close, it seems she's done for.  :)

There's a free program for roads?  I hadn't heard of that, and that could be immensely useful.  Anyone know the name?

That's freakin' awesome!  Thanks for the pointer, one of the (many) things I had no idea how to do was to put roads in that follow the terain and intersect with it.  Looks like from the example pics you can use it to make a great great, very beautiful wall too.  :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited September 2017

Roadmaker by the shapemagic guy RGcincy

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited September 2017

Vyusur said:

Anything glows lights, 3d aura etc.

different coloured lights make this special

thanks @Bunyip02 et @Dioemede

Post edited by Headwax on
    head wax said:

<p>&nbsp;</p

Diomede said:

Need to add my villain with a curly mustache and a stovepipe hat.  And, I need a better train.

Here, I've been experimenting with different ways of putting train tracks on a sloping and curving terrain.  A little more complicated than putting a road there.  There is a free program for roads, not sure if it would work with tracks.  I used the polyline tool and a sweep path to get the tracks.  The wooden slats are duplicated.

I don't like the sky, the light or the shaders.  angry​  We'll see if I can clean it up in time.  smiley

I will be doing some repicating along the terrain, as per Cripeman tutorial linked in my previous WIP landscape posts.

that looks terrific, wonderful narrative element too

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

and then along came Jones .... smiley

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

UnifiedBrain, Jonstark, thank you very much! Dartanbeck is an endless source of inspiration for me.

Diomede, thank you! Love your recent picture! But poor, poor lamb! I hope her hero will be in time.

Bunyip, thank you very much! I will look for some character for my scene in my library.

Andrew, thank you! Glad that you like it.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited September 2017

​Thank you, Bunyip.  I found a more time-consistent train from sharecg. 

Jonstark. the hair is Carrara dynamc hair draped.

Stezza, like the Ray stevens version of along came jones.

Thanks for the comments, Head wax and vyusur.

I did apply VWD to the dress.  

I've also added some peripheral scene elements.

I've been working on a villain character for Genesis 8, but I don't think I am going to have time to do the costume for this project.     I may fall back on a Canadian Mountie outfit for M4 that I have buried in my runtime.  I still need to edit my first entry (Frazetta) for the comments that I got.

train2 photoreal vwd.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Nice damsel in distress, Diomede!  Maybe lower the scene a bit and add some smoke coming out of the smokestack?

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

WoW...  Looking great folks!

Finally got caught up with all the kewl renders I missed while away.  Doubt that I'll have time to pick up where I left off but will give it a try.  See my WGD Crazy Artwerks if you want the details of my absence... just got back home yesterday.

@Diomede

was the first thing that came to me when I seen your image.... love it

I got so bugged I turned it off and turned on another show
    But there was the same old shoot-'em-up and the same old rodeo
    Salty Sam was tryin' to stuff Sweet Sue in a burlap sack
    He said, "if you don't give me the deed to your ranch
    I'm gonna throw you on the railroad tracks!"
    And then he grabbed her (and then)
    He tied her up (and then)
    He threw her on the railroad tracks (and then)
    A train started comin' (and then, and then!)

And then along came Jones
    Tall, thin Jones
    Slow-walkin' Jones
    Slow-talkin' Jones
    Along came long, lean, lanky Jones

edited September 2017

diomede looks great sorry have to cook dinner so is rush post  nice poem stezza :) 

been mucking round all after noon

this is the long way to do something -

the figure in this is a terrain that I have displaced with a depth render of vivki 4 , the back wall is also a terrain

using some of Cripeman's methods in 

crucifix_Color-HDR.jpg
    1559 x 1556 - 2M
    MDO2010 said:

I've been playing around a bit lately with low poly modeling and have been wanting to try it in a Carrara challenge. Here's my entry so far. I'm not sure how much more I am going to do, but I may play with the light cone effect to make it a bit clearer and I'm not 100% sold all of on my color choices at the moment. I may redo the painting on the headstone too; I painted that in Carrara and I like the hand-painted look of it in this scene, but I got a bit messy with my lines.

I used/referenced these Cripeman videos:

Scene Setup:

Render:

Final with post-work:

This is awesome

simplistic yet powerfull... really like this ... good job @MDO2010 yes

head wax said:

diomede looks great sorry have to cook dinner so is rush post  nice poem stezza :) 

Lyrics from a song by Ray Stevens.. you never heard it before?

Great image as well... hope it don't get pulled down like mine did.. yes 

@UnifiedBrain - yes, smoke is a must!  My method of smoke involves replicating tiny greebles on the shape I want and applying a blur.  There are other ways to do it but for this project the plan is to just start a new scene, insert the current image as a backdrop, and render some smoke over it.  In addition, I actually attempted to use motion blur for the train, but either my setting was too weak or I didn't do it correctly.  

@Head wax - very clever use of the terrain modeler to get the figure.  It looks like the figure is wearing that V4 purple skin shader bikini.  Or am I projecting that on her?

@Stezza - yeah. along came Jones is an old favorite of mine.  Damsel tied to railroad tracks is one of the oldest movie tropes.  Many people assume that it comes from Pearl White in the serial Perils of Pauline (1914), but even that was not the first.

http://www.filmsite.org/peri.html

​"There are numerous reports (some say they are only myths or legends) about her [Pearl White] most famous stunt in this serial - in which she was tied to railroad tracks and had to be rescued from a speeding, rapidly-approaching train. Reportedly, the scene was filmed near New Hope, PA at a place now known as "Pauline's Trestle." Unfortunately, a copy of this episode has never been located, and written film plot summaries do not describe the scene. More famously, a year earlier in 1913, Mabel Normand was tied to train tracks and cried out for rescue in the Keystone comedy Barney Oldfield's Race for a Life (1913), and the scene was also enacted in Sennett's Teddy at the Throttle (1917) with Gloria Swanson."

I grew up not far from New Hope, where the famous but lost railroad scene was reportedly filmed.

edited September 2017

So, here is the NPR version.  After adding smoke as described above, I took my base photoreal render and inserted as a backdrp in a new scene - as per the Cripeman tutorial.  I lowered the brush sizes for the NPR renderer quite a bit.  In my image editor, I then inserted the base photoreal rener as the background layer an placed the NPR version over it.  I lowered the NPR opacity to 50%.  I also used multipass rendering a little.  I copied the diffuse layer of the heroine to a new top layer and reduced opaciy to about 10%.

No filter forge for this one.

Damsel Train Composite NPR 2.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 428K

Here is Cripeman's tutorial on the NPR renderer.  yesyes

edited September 2017

Sorry, couldn't resist playing with some filters.  Really like this, which is a combination of several Filter Forge black and white filters and PS film grain filter.

Damsel Filter Forge Entry 2.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited September 2017

And here is my attempt to improve my Frazetta project as per suggestions.  I've added some vibrancy to the colors, especially the monster's weapon.  The hand of the hero should have a better grip of the sword.  

frazetta 5 composite entry hand fixed.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 767K
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    Diomede said:

Sorry, couldn't resist playing with some filters.  Really like this, which is a combination of several Filter Forge black and white filters and PS film grain filter.

Completely agree, this one looks terrific!  I'm going to have to go get Filterforge  :)

Jonstark said:
    Diomede said:

Completely agree, this one looks terrific!  I'm going to have to go get Filterforge  :)

+1 yes

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

I'm worried that I'll not rescue the poor gal in time.

Stezza said:
    head wax said:

Lyrics from a song by Ray Stevens.. you never heard it before?

Great image as well... hope it don't get pulled down like mine did.. yes 

hi well it's still a great song :) yes I have heard it!

thanks Stezza and Diomede - yes indeed she is clothed in a wood shader and the default shader mixed together

Diomede said:

diomede raises the bar again - nice work!

edited September 2017

Here;s another work from Cripmen's displacemt tutorial

For the s'cuplture' I used a depth pass from one of the works I am doing for a show next year homaging Paula Rego - used the depth pass on a terrain -

for the terrain texture I added a coverage pass and a line texture (from Topaz simplify) overlayed on a little bit of wood grain.

ran the whole through Topaz Impression Hopper filter at the end (customized Hopper filter)

if you click on it you can see the Terrain contours

sculpture.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    head wax said:

Here;s another work from Cripmen's displacemt tutorial

For the s'cuplture' I used a depth pass from one of the works I am doing for a show next year homaging Paula Rego - used the depth pass on a terrain -

for the terrain texture I added a coverage pass and a line texture (from Topaz simplify) overlayed on a little bit of wood grain.

ran the whole through Topaz Impression Hopper filter at the end (customized Hopper filter)

if you click on it you can see the Terrain contours

Looks great !!!

Just great HeadWax ... yes

really rockin' it