Carrara Challenge 35 - Tribute to Cripeman - Kapow - WIP Thread

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    Stezza said:

Today's Cripeman Tutorial is

NPR

This render is incorporating a Kapow! angel

finished render is postworked in PSE14

This is genius!  What a brilliant concept, kudos Stezza  :)

• Diomede said:

Thanks, UB.  I was definitely going for a fantasy theme.  Still time to make changes, so open to suggestions if you have them.

The creature on the left is well-posed.  However, from the neck up, I am lost.  I can't tell what is the head, and what is the left arm, or if he has a weapon.  Maybe it is just me.smiley

The right hand on Jonathan is not gripping the sword.  Have you been taking lessons from HW? smiley

I really like the old feel of the overall texture.  The colors are pretty dull, but if you make them pop a bit, it may change the feel.

Perhaps you could and some paper grunge and make it look like an old cover. 

An actual old cover is attached as an example.

amazing annual scaled.jpg
    1772 x 2416 - 3M
  • Stezza said:

Very nice, Stezza!  You beat me to the Kapow.  I've got one as well, coming soon.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Thanks, UB.  All excellent observations and suggestions.  Appreciate the cover reference pic.  One of my favorite attributes of the Carrara challenges is getting such helpful suggestions.  Outside of the new user forum, few challenges seem to have such a sense of camraderie - or maybe I'm not very good at tapping in to the other communities.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited September 2017

​sorry to be tardy, I've been busy saving the world, here's a quick start on mine using Cripeman's excellent blueprint tutorial.

​rendered out garoud and NPR then combined in post 

all.jpg
    2000 x 1489 - 2M
    North_Korea_Koreas_Tensions_79081.jpg
    1378 x 963 - 572K
    Post edited by Headwax on

World being saved = yes .  Way to go, Phantom.  I have the first two Phantom B&W serials saved to my TV.

When you say rendered out Garoud, do you mean using phong in the shader tree under lighting shader?  or something else?  Not sure I am following you.  I have the feeling that I am completely off base.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouraud_shading

• thong in the shady tree?

OK, never mind.  I think I found it.  Are you using the DRAFT renderer setting in the render room, and then the gouraud setting under rendering mode?  

You wedged that thong bit up in there when I wasn't looking.  wink

th3Digit said:

thong in the shady tree?

Diomede said:

OK, never mind.  I think I found it.  Are you using the DRAFT renderer setting in the render room, and then the gouraud setting under rendering mode?  

hya sorry for being obtuse, I was tired after saving the world and finding wendy's thong up my tree

;)

Yes, I rendered out gouraud render - used that as the base layer

then usuing cripeman's blueprint tutorial rendered out a NPR layer of just lines

I put that over the base layer and used multiply parametr

to drop down the intensity of the gouraud layer I sandwhiched a layer in between, filled that with midblue

and dropped the opacity to 33percent

over the top of it all I dropped in  ron's Blueprint layer, changed the parameter to overlay and dropped the opacity of that to suit

Filter F0rge also has a reasonabl blueprint filter but it tells me my image is too big and I have to uprade to pro .....

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited September 2017
    head wax said:

Really well done, HW.  Thanks for the explanation.  Cripeman's NPR  blueprint tutorial was one of the few I had seen before his passing.  Very cool effect, and the result he got surprised me given his settings.

Also, more motivation for me to keep collecting Ron's stuff.smiley

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited September 2017
    head wax said:

Really well done, HW.  Thanks for the explanation.  Cripeman's NPR  blueprint tutorial was one of the few I had seen before his passing.  Very cool effect, and the result he got surprised me given his settings.

Also, more motivation for me to keep collecting Ron's stuff.smiley

pleasure the gouroud gives just that touch of colour and three d shading

I didnt do a good job of the NPR because a lot of the lines are missing, but that's just a tweaking of the width i think.

but the overdrawing where the lines go too far adds a bit of feeling of handone

there's some good work along these lines on one of the carrara mags that Danas et al made, i'll dig it up when I can

edit here it is see page 39 Dennis Richter's work amazing

http://carraracafe.com/c3de/c3de-03/

Post edited by Headwax on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

thanks for the yes

Deviney's brushes are on sale at the moment.. good opp to grab some

I grabbed the blueprints... and some others.... great work HW 

edited September 2017

I could probably point to several Cripeman tutorials, but instead I want to connect my entry to his Frazetta appreciation video.  As the Cripeman said, "If you're a guy of a certain age, Frazetta probably got you through puberty."

As someone "of that age," I have a pretty good idea what he meant.smiley

Most of the work was in Carrara (including volumetric clouds), but many tweaks in PSE as well.  V4 is the warrior.  A lot of kitbashing to make the outfit, with modeling room adjustments.

The snake is a product called desolation-earth-serpentallica, a very useful critter which is almost free if you are PC+.

Kapow final smaller.png
    1000 x 1381 - 2M
    SCWarrior Cripeman Carrara setup 1_smaller.PNG
    1462 x 862 - 1M

I could probably point to several Cripeman tutorials, but instead I want to connect my entry to his Frazetta appreciation video.  As the Cripeman said, "If you're a guy of a certain age, Frazetta probably got you through puberty."

Most of the work was in Carrara (including volumetric clouds), but many tweaks in PSE as well.  V4 is the warrior.  A lot of kitbashing to make the outfit, with modeling room adjustments.

The snake is a product called desolation-earth-serpentallica, a very useful critter which is almost free if you are PC+.

Hubba Hubba! That's absolutely terrific! And I'm not just saying that. What a cover. You have the job!

• Thanks HW, for the nice comment.  A labor of love.  And yes, I did get the job!  As the creator of the magazine, I saved a few bucks and hired myself very cheaply. smiley

ha ha, yes I find myself paying money to be hired

that's after leaving my shoebox and licking road with tung.

Stezza said:

thanks for the yes

Deviney's brushes are on sale at the moment.. good opp to grab some

I grabbed the blueprints... and some others.... great work HW 

thanks Stezza, I have so many of Ron's brushes I forget what I have :)

great quote on Douglas Bader at the girls school btw

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited September 2017

Great work UB... yes

can't help but see the similarity between your scantily clad warrior and a neighbour I once had!... the things she could do with a blue handled Stanley ScrewDriver would amaze you surprise

HW... Douglas Bader must of been a character for sure 

Post edited by Stezza on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

UB - fantastic work!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

That's awesome UB! I'm off down the newsie to buy it - can't wait for issue 2!!! laugh

+1 - and even the background terrain is very impressive to me.  The color is great.   The project could only be better if it were scantily-clad women, instead of scantily-clad woman.  Maybe that could be the October issue?  yes

That's awesome UB! I'm off down the newsie to buy it - can't wait for issue 2!!! laugh

• head wax said:

thanks Stezza, I have so many of Ron's brushes I forget what I have :)

Got two of Ron's bundles and two solo products in the past two days.  Can't wait to try them out.

head wax said:

great quote on Douglas Bader at the girls school btw

Sometimes you guys are obscure.  I had to look it up.  Laughed for 5 minutes!

UnifiedBrain, that looks fantastic!  Terrific work, also I wanted to point out that to appreciate Frazetta, one only needs to be male, not necessarily 'of a certain age'.  :)  

edited September 2017
    Stezza said:

Great work UB... yes

can't help but see the similarity between your scantily clad warrior and a neighbour I once had!... the things she could do with a blue handled Stanley ScrewDriver would amaze you surprise

HW... Douglas Bader must of been a character for sure 

Thanks Stezza!   I envy your luck in neighbors.

PhilW said:

UB - fantastic work!

Phil, thank you!  Buying your Carrara basic course was - by far - the single most important 3D purchase I've made so far.  Still learning from it.

Thanks TA.  Really appreciate the positive words!  But this was issue #8.  You mean that you missed the first seven issues???

smileysmileysmiley

I picked the number 8 for an obscure reason.  In the 2011 issue #8 of C3DE, there are some cools renders from Cripeman starting on page 54.

https://issuu.com/c3de/docs/c3de-issue-08

There is also a great Nassos interview, and some renders from a guy named Andrew Finney (who was just as stupidly talented back then as he is now).

Diomede said:

+1 - and even the background terrain is very impressive to me.  The color is great.   The project could only be better if it were scantily-clad women, instead of scantily-clad woman.  Maybe that could be the October issue?  yes

Many thanks, Diomede.  The background is a free PSE brush.  When I was finally kicked awake by Stezza and HW to the glories of PSE, I discovered that there were an almost unlimited supply of resources online to improve renders.  Really it's an embarrassment of riches, between PSE brushes and online 3D products.

And, not to quibble, but it's Scantily Clad "Warrior," not "woman."  smiley  Still, I see your point  It started out as "WarriorS," but the S on the end looked bad in that font.  The R looked good, so I changed it to the singular.

Stezza said:

And, not to quibble, but its Scantily Clad "Warrior," not "woman."  smiley  

I dunno, I was just thinking that armor is covering way too much skin to be really effective as armor.  If it was covering say 50% less skin, it would be more realistic and believable  laugh

• Jonstark said:

UnifiedBrain, that looks fantastic!  Terrific work, also I wanted to point out that to appreciate Frazetta, one only needs to be male, not necessarily 'of a certain age'.  :)  

HaHa, thanks Jon!

edited September 2017
    Jonstark said:
    Stezza said:

And, not to quibble, but its Scantily Clad "Warrior," not "woman."  smiley  

I dunno, I was just thinking that armor is covering way too much skin to be really effective as armor.  If it was covering say 50% less skin, it would be more realistic and believable  laugh

Well, you're right.  I'll do better next time. :)  For sure, gaps make scale armor more ... um... aesthetically pleasing.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,339

Stezza - Beautiful render and concept.

Headwax - Awesome blueprint.

UB - Excellent !!!!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,339
    edited September 2017

A Cripeman- Frazetta dedication from me as well.

Bryce Terrains to Carrara Terrains

Kapow Frazetta Carrara 1.png
    1921 x 1035 - 970K
    Kapow Frazetta 1b Topaz FiltForge Acrylic FtSkPaint7 1200.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on