Carrara Challenge 35 - Tribute to Cripeman - Kapow - WIP Thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Thanks for the comments on the black and white version (it does have a hint of color) of the classic damsel in railroad distress image.  

@Head wax - I am a huge fan of using the terrain modeler for other purposes, but I am always amazed at the creative ways that you think of integrating the terrain modeler with multipasses.  Very inspiring!

• head wax said:

Here;s another work from Cripmen's displacemt tutorial

For the s'cuplture' I used a depth pass from one of the works I am doing for a show next year homaging Paula Rego - used the depth pass on a terrain -

for the terrain texture I added a coverage pass and a line texture (from Topaz simplify) overlayed on a little bit of wood grain.

ran the whole through Topaz Impression Hopper filter at the end (customized Hopper filter)

if you click on it you can see the Terrain contours

At my level of understanding, that explanation of your workflow was really complicated.  Sometimes an overly complicated process gets a mixed result.

But in this case, as usual, you managed to emerge with something amazing and didn't get lost in the process.

Thanks for keeping the bar set high.  Not sure I will ever be able to do work at that level, but it is important to know what is possible.

That was my long-winded way of saying that I liked it. smiley

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited September 2017

This my composition inspired by Cripman's tutorial about 3 Point Lighting and also is an allusion to one Frank Frazetta's work.

Snakecharmer00.jpg
    1200 x 1543 - 672K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited September 2017

thanks UB Stezza Bunyip02 et Diomede :) Amazing names we all have !

@Vyusur  beautiful work - is it a selfie ? :)

UB ah sorry to be confusing - i was in a rush

Let's see - make a scene - then render out a NPR line pass ala a cripeman tutorial.

then render out a photo real render but also render out a depth pass at the same time.

make sure there are no infinite planes in the scene other wise the depth pass is crap

invert the depth pass in Photoshop

this becomes your height map for the Carrara Terrain,

to use it:

drop a terrain into a Carrara scene,

get rid of the mountain filter with delete

import your depth pass

using the import button then click the button above the import button (cant remeber what it's called)

it will warn you that terrain filters or similar will be collapse - dont worry about that

then you are in a place where you can paint the terrain - dont worry about that just slide the quality slider up to max (I think it is the quality slider)

then go back into the assmbly room and do a partial render

you will have a terrain shader and it will look like crap most probably

go to the shader room, get rid of the terrain shader and replace it with a multichannel shader

put your NPR line render into colour channel

if you are lucky it will line up and add the neccessary details to your terrain - eg eyes in my example

then if you want you can go back into photoshop and combine a wood texture etc with your NPR render and see what you get.

to do your final render make the Camera in the same position as 'Top"

make Camera about a 100 mill to get rid of distortion

light to please yourself

if the terrain is huge then the  Camera might be sluggish, if so make the camera size 500 times or similar and the camera will move more quickly in the scene

hope this makes some sense :)

Post edited by Headwax on
  • Sorry, it was me who was unclear.  I wasn't asking for an explanation.  Thank you for doing it, but the steps you took are very complex for me - too complex to waste your time explaining them (unless you really wanted to do so).

There are many threads on this forum which I cannot follow, and it gets frustrating after a while.

Patience is probably not my strongest virtue.  Sometimes the trees are blocking the forest.  I need to post less, and do more tutorials.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    Vyusur said:

This my composition inspired by Cripman's tutorial about 3 Point Lighting and also is an allusion to one Frank Frazetta's work.

Very nice.

Sorry, it was me who was unclear.  I wasn't asking for an explanation.  Thank you for doing it, but the steps you took are very complex for me - too complex to waste your time explaining them (unless you really wanted to do so).

There are many threads on this forum which I cannot follow, and it gets frustrating after a while.

Patience is probably not my strongest virtue.  Sometimes the trees are blocking the forest.  I need to post less, and do more tutorials.

oh no trouble to explain. I myself too am impatient - with certain things. With others I am very patient. Itr's all about what we want to achieve, and how much we are willing to give up to acheive our goals. If you don't understand soemthing please ask - probably the best way to learn is to want to make/do something that you can't, and then go on the journey to see how you can acvhieve your goal - you will learn things on the way as well.  

head wax said:

@Vyusur  beautiful work - is it a selfie ? :)

Thank you, Andrew! Nope, it is not a selfie. My recent selfie is attached.

Selfie.jpg
    382 x 382 - 10K

Reminder - Entry Thread closes at Midnight Eastern Standard Time on the 30th.

Vyusur - you always amaze me!   yes

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Gee...  I just can't leave you folks alone for a minute before you come up with some kewl stuff.

@Vyusur  thanks for pointing me to Cripeman's 3 Point lighting tut... I suspect I'd seen it but not paid enough attention.  I've been using 3 point lighting since before using Carrara and have never achived exactly what I want... apparantly you know it much better than I... good render.  Did you also use any ambient/indirect lighting or only 3 point?

@head wax  U asked for it now... prepare the-self for questions... they are the reason I know more than I let on. :)

head wax said:
    if you are lucky it will line up and add the neccessary details to your terrain - eg eyes in my example

then if you want you can go back into photoshop and combine a wood texture etc with your NPR render and see what you get.

to do your final render make the Camera in the same position as 'Top"

make Camera about a 100 mill to get rid of distortion

light to please yourself

if the terrain is huge then the  Camera might be sluggish, if so make the camera size 500 times or similar and the camera will move more quickly in the scene

hope this makes some sense :)

I've absolutely no idea what "make Camera about 100 mill" means???  Is that Size?, Zoom or what?   I normally don't have a huge terrain but assume that you mean to make the camera 500 times larger??  correct?

But wait... you are not off the hook yet. :)  Did you save the render of the terrain above then load it in as a backdrop for your final scene with addition of the man, tools and ladder?

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

100 mill = 100mm Focal length I would guess.

Thanks Tim... of course 100 mill = 100 millimeter lens... don't know why that cornfused me.

Diomede, thank you very much!

John, I didn't use indirect lighting in this case. I always try not to use it without obvious necessity.

Nice cranium Vyusur, looks very tactile! 

Hi UB , yep Tim is right, sorry mill could be a measure of fluid.

in portraiture people use around 100 mm focal length to reduce distortion. 50mm lens gives you a big nose. 

If you go to 400mm in traditional photography then you get compression of depth so there are disadvantages and advantages of different focal lengths. Not sure what happens in carrara with 400 mm. To get no distortion an oblique camera in carrara  is good. I think it's called oblique. The one that's not spherical or conical. 

If if you make a really big terrain it's hard to move the camera as it's too slow so making the camera size a lot bigger makes it easier.

yes, the terrain and man and props are in the same scene together. 

Hope this makes more sense :) cheers from oz ! 

Many thanks, Andrew!

• head wax said:

To get no distortion an oblique camera in carrara  is good. I think it's called oblique. The one that's not spherical or conical. 

Isometric? 

MDO2010 said:
    head wax said:

To get no distortion an oblique camera in carrara  is good. I think it's called oblique. The one that's not spherical or conical. 

Isometric? 

Yep thanks Mark, it's Friday here so my brain is having a holiday 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    head wax said:
    MDO2010 said:
    head wax said:

Isometric? 

Friday is POETS day

• head wax said:
    MDO2010 said:
    head wax said:

Isometric? 

laugh

But now I want an oblique camera. It only shows things that are at angles to the camera - anything straight on is invisible!

edited September 2017

Aiko the Pirate says,

There be about 15.5 hours remaining to post your entries, aarrrh.

(from the time of this post)

Aiko Pirate FF Brighter Richer.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 260K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Some really nice images have not yet been entered.  sad

sorry I was going on Utah time, my apologies.

Chohole said:
    head wax said:
    MDO2010 said:
    head wax said:

Isometric? 

Friday is POETS day

ha ha so tomorrow is Saturday?

MDO2010 said:
    head wax said:
    MDO2010 said:
    head wax said:

Isometric? 

laugh

But now I want an oblique camera. It only shows things that are at angles to the camera - anything straight on is invisible!

there'd be a lot of invisable things around here then

edited October 2017

The entry thread is now the voting thread

Post edited by Diomede on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

I love my buddy, Cripeman!

Not sure if I'll be able to enter, but I'm grateful to all of you for celebrating this, most magnificent soul.

edited October 2017

Silly boy... Voting has already started.  You can of couse still create a render or anim in honor of our Cripeman.  I'm thinking about getting back to work on something myself.  It would be great to see what you come up with.

Post edited by wgdjohn on

Voting - Just over 12 hours remaining

from time of this post

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited October 2017
    wgdjohn said:

Silly boy... Voting has already started.  You can of couse still create a render or anim in honor of our Cripeman.  I'm thinking about getting back to work on something myself.  It would be great to see what you come up with.

Yes, silly = me!

These three were a direct result of me watching Cripeman's Frazetta dedication, back when he first released it.

('Twas quite some time ago!)

Post edited by Chohole on