Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Here's an interesting oddity, which I haven't had the time to fully investigate. The plane is a mirror. The objects at right are corrently mirrored, the Utah Teapot is offset by 90° in the mirror, which is really odd.

Weird and very interesting.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited July 2013

Mermaid; very nice!!!!

David; you are getting some really cool effects!!

Horo; maybe this will help...I rolled the whole scene with the trackball to get the sky shot with the ground plane off....so my shadows are above my scene......

Untitled.jpg
    1701 x 706 - 571K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • Mattkire75Mattkire75 Posts: 77
    edited July 2013

Playing with Materials/Textures of rocks just to get a better feel for the Materials and Deep Texture Labs. I think the one on the left would make a nice tile. The one of the right is definitely more rocky. The center one somewhat marine-like texture.

helps if I post the pic. LOL

Rock_Images.jpg
    1300 x 975 - 823K
    Post edited by Mattkire75 on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,530
    edited December 1969

Horo; maybe this will help...I rolled the whole scene with the trackball to get the sky shot with the ground plane off....so my shadows are above my scene......

The shadows in the wire frame view are always on the vertical centre if they are switched on at all. But this is only a help positioning objects. This has nothing to do with the render. In your case where the objects are below, the shadows are above. Nothing to worry about.
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Round 2 of the Blimp in the Mountains.

Blimp-Explore.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 691K
  • M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Michael – another magnificent render

TLBKlaus – both your renders are awesome

Inspired by Trish’s renders, I played with metaballs and give it a premium TA render using one of Horo’s Hdri.

Thanks Dave and Michael for your tips. Now to do some breezy ones.

Very cool! It's nice to see a few little gardens springing up here and there!

edited December 1969

All the MetaBall Renders look great.

I however can't seem to get the hang of it

• Mattkire75Mattkire75 Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Round 2 of the Blimp in the Mountains.

very nice!

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Back to some more traditional type Bryce renders as I had to set up a quick landscape this morning to demonstrate a question someone asked on another thread. I've played with this a bit today... here's the result.

RockyShore.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 235K
    edited December 1969

@Rareth - you make progress.

I've been experimenting a bit with hatching and outlining. Viky's head with toon colours and hatchings. The second is a hatch island scene in a psychedelic look, exploiting a uniqueness in Bryce which amazingly doesn't crash it but gives us these beautiful colours.

HatchedIsland.jpg
    1040 x 800 - 349K
    HatchedHead.jpg
    600 x 800 - 191K
    edited December 1969

@Dave - very nice. The water is particularly amazing.

edited December 1969

Yay I made a Plastic yard decoration... all I need now is a trailer park to put it in.

plastic_Flower.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    edited December 1969

I see Michael's amazing artworks has inspired experimenting with multi-replication - excellent!

Just continued with my material experiments, and given the chance, and I got the chance this morning, thought I would share with you some of my findings. Here the out of range procedural output has yielded another weird effect.

Super metallic effect - making impossible materials - by David Brinnen

It really is nice to see more people showing their model experiments, especially the ones with replication or metaballs.

I really like this super metallic effect...

edited December 1969

@Rareth - nice model, does really look like plastic.

edited December 1969

For those of you interested in metaballs and replication, I'm reposting an old image. "Venus Comb:" an image composed entirely of metaballs and replication. (With the exception of the clouds, of course.) There's an extremely precise level of control in the subtle movements of the plants, and the inputs for x,y and z in all functions (size, rotation, height, etc) closely represents the way in which many plant cells replicate and divide. There are many algorithms found in nature that can be applied to the replication process in Bryce - and for me, this makes Bryce such an ideal choice to investigate plant growth patterns.

If this is starting to sound a bit "scientific" for you, let me stress that I'm not approaching this subject as a novice, nor am I randomly experimenting without a plan; I've studied matters like this for years and have logged in a great deal of study in pre-medicine and botany at an ivy-league university. I take a lot of my inspiration from the likes of the 19th century naturalist Ernst Haeckel and his famous renditions of invertebrate creatures ("radiolarians") and the vastly involving theories of Steven Wolfram, whose book "A New Kind of Science" is always open on my desk. He explains in great detail the beauty of the Golden Mean and the fibonacci sequences that almost all plants seem to employ, with breathtaking complexity. I was extremely surprised to see that I was unconsciously using these numbers and sequences in creating my own forms, and it came as a kind of revelation to think that there was a universal message operating on many levels, something that we all can tap into.

I think there's a certain level of facility that one needs to achieve before really diving off the deep end; that is to say, one must put in the hours of experimentation in order to get a feel for what the replication function can really do. You (and I) can't get this all overnight, nor can it simply be read about... there needs to be a physical interaction and experiment. I'm really pleased to see what people are achieving here. I'm eagerly anticipating the experiments that enthusiastic artists like yourselves are going to come up with!

By its nature, replication utilizes geometry and special number sequences and controls... and an awareness that every construction, whether spiral, radial or otherwise is also a fractal. You don't need a fractal-generating program to build spirals... you can see this by working with your constructions. Technically, every object and motion in space is defined by fractal geometry; it doesn't even have to be regular, smooth or self-generating, like the Mandelbrot or Julia sets. The more you experiment with replication, the greater feel you will have for the workings of Nature... and your place in it. You will have a new awareness for how geometry works (and fails, lol).

If you find certain formulas that give interesting results, write them down. Repeat the experiment and then alter it. Remember too what doesn't work. Your notes will reinforce your memory and your habits, and then the experiments will come more naturally, and be more easily understood. This works for whatever you are designing, whether it be plant, architectural or abstract.

http://michaelf77.deviantart.com/

CVUU1za.jpg
    750 x 600 - 457K
    edited December 1969

Nice effect with the super metalized shader

supermetalized.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 149K
    edited December 1969

another meta-ball attempt.

plant.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    edited July 2013

Rareth; really nice experiments!!!

This is more metaballs....I call it mixture1a

mixture1a.jpg
    1330 x 694 - 585K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Rareth - you make progress.

I've been experimenting a bit with hatching and outlining. Viky's head with toon colours and hatchings. The second is a hatch island scene in a psychedelic look, exploiting a uniqueness in Bryce which amazingly doesn't crash it but gives us these beautiful colours.

These are both beautiful. The mountains are awesome. Great graphic art.

edited December 1969

It's amazing what happens when you peruse the Bryce tutorials site

believe it or not there are only 3 trees making up the foliage on the ground here.

needlespire1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 727K
    edited December 1969

@M1chaelFrank - thank you for sharing your insights. So Nature is your teacher, difficult to find a more competent one. Essentially what you're saying is that if I cannot come up with a pleasing result within 10 minutes, I may have been a bit hasty.

@Rareth - nice examples. Ah yes, trees can be great fun and be used for more than just one tree.

@bullit35744 - great results. It reminds me of vegetables.

@JStryder - thank you.

edited December 1969

OK, this started out as more playing with metaballs and multi-replicating... then turned into something else... I don't know what, but something.

Pearls.jpg
    800 x 500 - 108K
    edited December 1969

@Dave - interesting, whatever will come out of it.

I unearthed a render I did 8 years ago and changed a few settings. There are two spheres, a torus and 100 metaballs.

strings.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 142K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Dave - interesting, whatever will come out of it.

I unearthed a render I did 8 years ago and changed a few settings. There are two spheres, a torus and 100 metaballs.

Very Nice I like it.

in other news, I learned something new.... I did David's Tree export as terrain mesh tutorial and it worked out very well. but I got curious and wondered if I could export a tree object directly, and it turns out you can.

Voila! Bryce Tree in Daz Studio

BryceTree2Daz.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 303K
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    but I got curious and wondered if I could export a tree object directly, and it turns out you can.

Yes, you can. Here's the video Bryce 7.1 Pro tutorial - Saving and Exporting Bryce Trees and this is the text version.
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Rareth said:
    but I got curious and wondered if I could export a tree object directly, and it turns out you can.

Yes, you can. Here's the video Bryce 7.1 Pro tutorial - Saving and Exporting Bryce Trees and this is the text version.

ah ok, while I might not get the procedurals from Bryce for the trees in DAZ, I can use the Shader Mixer in daz to work on creating DAZ Materials for the meshes.

Thanks for the link, I have some experimenting to do

edited December 1969

Rareth; nice scene!!

Horo; I like your effects

Dave; That is turning into a cool picture!!

One more from me...........I call this Mixture2

mix2.jpg
    938 x 860 - 415K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Everybody is coming up with some fantastic multi-replicated metaball creations. I really need to sit down and try that when I get a free moment.
    @Rareth, one problem with the tree import into DS from Bryce that has been an issue for me is where the branch tips break up into rows of unconnected little diamond shapes. zoom in on the left of right sides of your tree and you'll see what I mean. I keep wondering if there could be any way to get around that? It only seems to happen with the smaller parts of the branch, not the main trunk. I wonder if that could be kept from happening by keeping the branch width bigger or messing with some other setting.

edited December 1969

@Trish - that looks awesome. You're a quick learner.

@Sean - that's where exporting as terrain may have an advantage. Disconnected twigs can also be observed in Bryce, if you look close enough. And, by the way, I've also noticed with xfrog trees that the leaves are not always connected to the twig. But you have to bring it in very near to the camera.

edited December 1969

@Rareth, one problem with the tree import into DS from Bryce that has been an issue for me is where the branch tips break up into rows of unconnected little diamond shapes. zoom in on the left of right sides of your tree and you'll see what I mean. I keep wondering if there could be any way to get around that?

I believe it happens because Bryce trees are actually made out of metaballs.
    If you make a tree in Bryce, you can test how it will export by getting rid of the leaves and [C]onverting the trunk/branches to mesh.
    Look at the resulting mesh and then 'undo' the conversion. Then you can increase or decrease the size of the tree and [C]onvert it again until the metaballs don't break up so much before doing your final export.
This discussion has been closed.