Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,381
    edited December 1969

Lovely models from everyone.

Chohole –love the cart and the houses, the little village render is beautiful.

StuartB4 – very nice collection. It’s hard to believe that these were made in Bryce.

MichaelFrank – your work is very inspiring, beautiful. Wow using tens of thousands of meatball; just curios how long is the render time normally for your work.

Trish-the plant is so cool and love the houses too. The last one is awesome. Are you using metaballs like Michael suggested.

Redid one of my previous work using the suggestions from Stuart and Horo. Thanks guys.

seascape4.jpg
    720 x 540 - 76K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Escaped from work and pollen for a day. So... back to styalised rendering project. Here the aim was to convert an old image into a cartoonesque version of itself and in the process test how robust the methods are to achieve this.

Firepit1.jpg
    850 x 714 - 346K
    Firepit0.jpg
    850 x 714 - 241K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

mermaid: the dolphins are really great now!!! yes I kinda used Michaels metaballs idea and did my own concept of it .

David; How are you turning things into a cartoon state??? Did you make a video on it??? Is it a new product??

edited December 1969

mermaid: the dolphins are really great now!!! yes I kinda used Michaels metaballs idea and did my own concept of it .

David; How are you turning things into a cartoon state??? Did you make a video on it??? Is it a new product??

Well, it is a mixture of automation and method. Many of the components of the process have already been covered in videos yes, though not combined in this way. So for example in this case the scene was converted into a heightmap using white haze, saved as a 48 bit tiff and converted using Horo's conversion program to make it loadable by the Terrain Editor. This then was fed into a pre-made scene that produces the outlines. For the colour the materials were adaped to toon style. This also includes some steps to deal with skies and instances where procedural texture components need simplification (in essence final stage quantisation) an easy step once you know how. These rendered into a cartoon image and then the main feature (the monster) rendered in white and that used again in a heigtmap to drop in the hatching. So that's one converted heightmap, one rendered heightmap, on toon shaded scene and a final render.

Time permitting, this will be the next product. This will include Horo's converter. Pre-made scenes for outline effects and guides on how to process existing scenes into styalised scenes. Of which there are many options to choose from.

Basic_thin_white_outline_with_1_x_smooth_5.jpg
    850 x 850 - 125K
    Fogged_weave_1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 161K
    Altitude_controlled_outline_3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 142K
    Simple_effects_combine_3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 67K
    Simple_case_1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 152K
    edited December 1969

Also... strange things happen if instead of renders you feed photographs in and treat them this way. Starting with a picture of my musical friend Dan http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8HAGXY794_xjiOo3RlOVqQ lounging around at his girlfriends. Then a re-render with white outlines applied.

Dantest2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 269K
    Dantest1.jpg
    918 x 918 - 165K
    edited December 1969

David; looking forward to the completion of the product.The photo came out really cool!

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,530
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - the smoothing of the dolphins came out excellent. I'm not that happy with the lighting. It seems to me that the cliff at right that was completely black is a bit on the bright side, almost as if it were glowing, but the shadows on the left cliff and the dolphins are unchanged. It appears that the radial is near the right dolphin. Try square falloff or if diffusion is already at 1, make the colour of the light grey.

@M1chaelFrank - I've seen this already, it is absolutely beautiful. Not only the modeling, also the colours and the composition.

@bullit35744 - nice western style place. The plant is interesting and with the red flower quite nice.

@Pam - looks medieval with the pigs and the coach. Like it.

@David - great examples. The strange image of Dan looks quite far-out. Great example, too.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited July 2013

Pigs and farm...a chohole classic.

Yeah, Mermaid...looks great now...was wondering what the thing was by the rightmost dolphin's body, but Horo, I think, answered it. Nice render all the same...love the water effect, too.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited July 2013

Ok another experiment #3 these metaballs are kind of relaxing somehow........LOL The background is David and Horos stained glass

exp3.jpg
    940 x 820 - 847K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @mermaid010 - the smoothing of the dolphins came out excellent. I'm not that happy with the lighting. It seems to me that the cliff at right that was completely black is a bit on the bright side, almost as if it were glowing, but the shadows on the left cliff and the dolphins are unchanged. It appears that the radial is near the right dolphin. Try square falloff or if diffusion is already at 1, make the colour of the light grey.

I'm not happy with the lighting either. I tried different things and kept losing the fluffiness of the clouds. I will play with it some more using your suggestion. Thanks

@ Thanks Jay

@David - you and Horo are working on some very cool stuff, I love the effects you are getting.

@ Trish - another lovely image.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I'm not happy with the lighting either. I tried different things and kept losing the fluffiness of the clouds. I will play with it some more using your suggestion. Thanks

When you're trying different pre-set skies with your clouds, the important thing to do is make sure the universal ambient colour is set back to white (presuming you've got it set to white at the moment).

Hope this helps.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,530
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - good advice from TheSavage64. If Ambent colour in the Sky lab is black, no material will have ambient, no matter how high you set the control. Personally, I have set it full white and control ambience for each material.

@Trish - looks a bit like candles.

• M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ok another experiment #3 these metaballs are kind of relaxing somehow........LOL The background is David and Horos stained glass

It reminds me a little bit of musical notes on a page!

edited December 1969

StuartB4 – very nice collection. It’s hard to believe that these were made in Bryce.

MichaelFrank – your work is very inspiring, beautiful. Wow using tens of thousands of meatball; just curios how long is the render time normally for your work.

Trish-the plant is so cool and love the houses too. The last one is awesome. Are you using metaballs like Michael suggested.

Redid one of my previous work using the suggestions from Stuart and Horo. Thanks guys.

I just love these dolphins.

(My average render time is usually excessive. Sometimes a simple object with a complicated material might take several hours, while a "complicated object" might take as little as 45 minutes with simple materials and lights. My longest render was probably over a hundred hours. Some images with composited items might represent a cumulative time of several hundred hours. In a couple of years I've made thousands of objects, so I've averaged at least ten hours of rendering a day.)

edited December 1969

Escaped from work and pollen for a day. So... back to styalised rendering project. Here the aim was to convert an old image into a cartoonesque version of itself and in the process test how robust the methods are to achieve this.

Wow, I really love this effect!

edited December 1969

Horo said:

@M1chaelFrank - I've seen this already, it is absolutely beautiful. Not only the modeling, also the colours and the composition.

@bullit35744 - nice western style place. The plant is interesting and with the red flower quite nice.

@Pam - looks medieval with the pigs and the coach. Like it.

@David - great examples. The strange image of Dan looks quite far-out. Great example, too.

Thanks very much!

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Funny you should say that Guss. Not chickens though, will pigs do

This is a beautiful image.

edited December 1969

Chohole; The pigs are taking over the town.....run. I like this image a lot!!! lots of movement

Guss; please please please enter the contest......

Michael; I must admit this is fun!! but I keep crashing Bryce I guess I keep rendering too much to see what it will look like.....LOL

Agreed; this is a great little object, and it looks like you're really getting the hang of it! You might try eliminating the wireframe view and reducing it to outlined boxes; that'll make things easy to toggle back and forth between rendering and working on it.

edited December 1969

Michael; I don't know about the getting the hang of it part but it is fun learning something new.....Thanks Trish

edited December 1969

Michael; I don't know about the getting the hang of it part but it is fun learning something new.....Thanks Trish

I look forward to seeing more of your experiments!

• Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 255
    edited July 2013

It's been interesting to see the attempts early in this thread to get decent looking skin in Bryce. I had it nailed in the Bryce 3.1 days and will have to put some scenes together that I can show here (the ones I have contain nudity). I was able to get very convincing skin in Bryce but it was only convincing in certain light conditions. One strange requirement that I was never able to eliminate was that you have to have multiple light sources lighting the figure, and one of them must be blue. Yeah, really. No true Sub-Surface-Scattering but using carefully designed specular settings, a subtle bump map and multiple lights gave an illusion of SSS.

Anyway, on with an image contribution: I submitted an earlier version of this image to the Stonemason render contest, but it's improved quite a bit since then. It was a real test assembling this in Bryce 7.1 Pro but sadly I have to say I am certain it would have been easier in Bryce 5.01. I may even buy an older Mac so I can reinstall Bryce 5.01 and use it for all my more complex Bryce scenes. Bryce 7.1 just cannot cope with scenes as complex as some of those I build, yet 5.01 could easily. Bryce 7.1 does render them faster, but you can't save them at all or alter them much without it crashing, so I'd like to go back to building complex scenes in 5.01 and then just render them in 7.1.

Anyway, a bunch of reduced-resolution V2 figures, a few custom models, Stonemason's Enchanted Forest, the Tree Trunk and Ivy, and a bunch of work in Bryce to get the lighting and materials right. Tons of texture maps though I did scale them down in some cases to save memory. The JD bottle was made and mapped in Blender and I used one of the old label designs because I prefer it to the current version. Scaled down from 4000x1894 here's "Enchanted Forest: Party Time!":

Faerie-Party-Stage-18k.jpg
    1680 x 795 - 714K
    Post edited by Fire Angel on
    edited December 1969

Here's one of my favourite of my own works in Bryce. This scene could not be assembled or even saved to disk in Bryce 7.1, so I built the scene in Bryce 5.01 and rendered it in 7.1 to get the faster rendering. I had to load the scene and tweak the fire materials before every render. Sadly my more up-to-date Mac can't run the older Mac OS required for Bryce 5.01, so scenes like this with many millions of polygons and many texture maps just aren't possible with my current system; there's a lot more RAM and processing power but sadly versions of Bryce since 5.01 just aren't up to the job and crash constantly long before the scene becomes as complex as this.

So here's "Teamwork". The monsters are Sanctum-Arts Havoc figure, then there's M4 at the back wearing a Xurge3D outfit, the M4 ranger, with the Duval character applied; in front of him in the red armour is the original Freak wearing the RDNA fantasy armour with Knights Extraordinaire textures (also RDNA), then rear centre is of course a large DAZ Troll with a scaled up sword from somewhere. In front throwing blue fire is V4 with the Mirandus-Arts Louise character applied wearing the V4 Rogue outfit from Xurge3D. On the right of the image is the Reby Sky V4 character, again wearing a Xurge3D outfit, the V4 Ranger outfit. The setting is the Hall of Lore by NAZ, with a mixture of texture maps and Bryce procedural materials on it. All the custom Bryce materials are my own, including the fire materials. The original render was 4000x2400, so this is scaled down quite a bit.

Teamwork-Stage-13.jpg
    1600 x 960 - 437K
    edited December 1969

Here are a couple of clippings from the "Teamwork" image clipped from the 4000 pixel wide original render:

Clipping-01.jpg
    1058 x 1315 - 395K
    Clipping-02.jpg
    2000 x 1039 - 452K
    edited July 2013

Fire Angel; Beautiful images, looks like jack black is a recurring theme here lately ......LOL

Ok heres another experiment with the meta meat balls....The Italian accent does work out to well in writing.....oh well what am I thinking the wicked witch of the west is not Italian anyway.....LOL :coolcheese:

exp5.jpg
    1066 x 749 - 473K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

When you're trying different pre-set skies with your clouds, the important thing to do is make sure the universal ambient colour is set back to white (presuming you've got it set to white at the moment).

Hope this helps.

Thanks Dave, I think it is set to a light gray.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @mermaid010 - good advice from TheSavage64. If Ambent colour in the Sky lab is black, no material will have ambient, no matter how high you set the control. Personally, I have set it full white and control ambience for each material.

@Trish - looks a bit like candles.

Thanks Horo, I will try what you and Dave suggested.

edited December 1969

I just love these dolphins.

(My average render time is usually excessive. Sometimes a simple object with a complicated material might take several hours, while a "complicated object" might take as little as 45 minutes with simple materials and lights. My longest render was probably over a hundred hours. Some images with composited items might represent a cumulative time of several hundred hours. In a couple of years I've made thousands of objects, so I've averaged at least ten hours of rendering a day.)

You work is so amazing and has lots of details, I thought it took weeks to render.

edited December 1969

@ Fire Angel- Beautiful renders

@ Trish - I love it . I also took time out from the dolphin render, to try the metaballs, it is fun. The first time I played with them., but I kept getting blobs, till I realised the closer together, the bigger the blob. lol

@ Michael - thanks for the mentioning them- the meta-meat balls lol

edited December 1969

Wow, I really love this effect!

Thank you for your kind words Michael. As ever your artworks are outstanding and it would be a real loss to the Bryce community if you were unable to continue using Bryce due to the lack of Lion OS compatibility.

As to the cartoonerising project. It has snowballed - as these things often do - in trying to solve seemingly smile problems the solutions themselves has opened up other unexpected possibilities. It is no longer a question of what are the limits of what Bryce can do, it's more down to deciding where to stop.

To begin water, clouds and transparency offered the greatest puzzle, since none of these effects can be gathered using a distance mask, object mask or altitude mask. Here I've used fog to gather the hight information I need to feed into Horo's converter and create the outlines and layers of "toon" colour.

First image is my starting point. I've included some steps because I thought they were interesting images in themselves.

+Water_Clouds_Transparency_example6a.jpg
    850 x 850 - 164K
    +Water_Clouds_Transparency_example5a.jpg
    850 x 850 - 139K
    +Water_Clouds_Transparency_example4.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 40K
    +Water_Clouds_Transparency_example3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 187K
    +Water_Clouds_Transparency_example1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 331K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Fire Angel; Beautiful images, looks like jack black is a recurring theme here lately ......LOL

Ok heres another experiment with the meta meat balls....The Italian accent does work out to well in writing.....oh well what am I thinking the wicked witch of the west is not Italian anyway.....LOL :coolcheese:

That is pretty. I could see someone using that as a beading embroidery pattern.

This discussion has been closed.