Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,530
    edited December 1969

@Fire Angel - great renders. As you know, Bryce does everything in memory. Bryce 5.0 saves the scene file normal, since Bryce 6 the file is compressed. This saves HD space. Unfortunately, the compressing is done in memory. This means that the scene is partly duplicated in memory - once as the scene and once while this very scene is compressed. Personally, I think the compression was a bad move. It's certainly cool to save a bit of cheap HD space but for a 32-bit application that can only hold 2 GB it's counter productive.

@bullit35744 - if you continue at that rate, you'll overtake M1chaelFrank in no time. ;)

@David Brinnen - great effects!

• M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Fire Angel; Beautiful images, looks like jack black is a recurring theme here lately ......LOL

Ok heres another experiment with the meta meat balls....The Italian accent does work out to well in writing.....oh well what am I thinking the wicked witch of the west is not Italian anyway.....LOL :coolcheese:

Very nice. Now you need to make it flow in the breeze...

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited July 2013

I've always been very impressed with the time and patience you have Michael, the extreme detail you build into all your renders is mind boggling and your ability to bring them life in such wonderful ways is great to see.

Inbetween getting my Bottle of Jack to be the right colour (another render in an another thread), I've also been playing with multi-replicate metaballs to try out building plants... gosh it's not easy and one of my first three attempts went straight in the bin (the other two were lost when Bryce decided I was asking too much of it).

Here is where I'm at at the moment. Consisting of a total of 500 metaballs, it's rough looking because really it needs 2000.

PlantLife.jpg
    544 x 650 - 146K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

I've always been very impressed with the time and patience you have Michael, the extreme detail you build into all your renders is mind boggling and your ability to bring them life in such wonderful ways is great to see.

Inbetween getting my Bottle of Jack to be the right colour (another render in an another thread), I've also been playing with multi-replicate metaballs to try out building plants... gosh it's not easy and one of my first three attempts went straight in the bin (the other two were lost when Bryce decided I was asking too much of it).

Here is where I'm at at the moment. Consisting of a total of 500 metaballs, it's rough looking because really it needs 2000.

I can see by this that you are getting a grasp on the necessity of fine adjustments in the controls. As the objects replicate, they rise, spin, squish, etc. This has to, of course, with the way you manipulate your input of the x- y- and z-axes. That's where the fun begins, as you are increasingly able to anticipate what these changes do to your plant. Very nice!

• Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 255
    edited July 2013

Horo said:
    @Fire Angel - great renders. As you know, Bryce does everything in memory. Bryce 5.0 saves the scene file normal, since Bryce 6 the file is compressed. This saves HD space. Unfortunately, the compressing is done in memory. This means that the scene is partly duplicated in memory - once as the scene and once while this very scene is compressed. Personally, I think the compression was a bad move. It's certainly cool to save a bit of cheap HD space but for a 32-bit application that can only hold 2 GB it's counter productive.

@bullit35744 - if you continue at that rate, you'll overtake M1chaelFrank in no time. ;)

@David Brinnen - great effects!

Thanks for that information; well if that's a part of the reason for the stability problems then all of us who care about Bryce need to be petitioning DAZ to remove the compression routines completely, and to write a proper pipelined decompressor utility to decompress existing files. As you rightly point out, hard disk space is cheap, constant crashes are expensive and decreasing the capabilities of Bryce where the complexity of scenes is concerned is a very bad move. As I wrote above, I am actually considering getting an old out of date Mac again so I can run Bryce 5.01 for assembling my more complex scenes, and I shouldn't have to do that to continue using an application I have been using since Bryce 3.1 came out in 1997. I'm still annoyed with DAZ over the stability problems with all the versions of Bryce they have produced. The "Teamwork" Bryce scene file is a mere 2,936,410 polygons and I've built scenes with 50 million polygons in Bryce 5.01 without problems, yet try to build that in 5.5 onwards and you're asking for trouble.

Post edited by Fire Angel on
  • Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 255
    edited December 1969

Actually I like that as it is; the extra cuts and points on it make it look like some kind of alien plant; if you want to do a smoothed out version it might be interesting to compare the two.

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited July 2013

Escaped from work and pollen for a day. So... back to styalised rendering project. Here the aim was to convert an old image into a cartoonesque version of itself and in the process test how robust the methods are to achieve this.

That carnivorous plant with eyes got my attention .
    Really nice and interesting sci-fi scene on page 79 [link]http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19391/P1170/#372766[/link] .
    I would like to create something similar with more than 1 type of alient plant with eyes :) on a planet. Where can i get some inspiration for this or some plants with eyes as obj ? If it's free to redistribute as free scene it would be awesome ,if not i guess i should start Mudbox to create my own models but at least some inspiration links ?
    Ty very much David or anyone .

Post edited by cris333 on
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

something I've been working on, I might have to switch the cloud plane to a cloud slab

blimpfly.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 806K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Pam: Pigs, ah yes, I forgot about those critters. If I may say so, now that image looks complete. Very nice work. ...sigh.

@Trish: Neat results you're getting playing with your food. Just not enough tomato sauce for my tastes. :-) (still no darn smileys) I've never worked with my round food before, so how to you get the different shapes without resorting to using your spoon? The last image is very beautiful. And as to the contest, tomorrow is another day.

@David: I agree that the images of your latest experiment are interesting. Especially the last one, IMHO.

@Fire Angle: Nice images. Looks like there's going to be a big bash in the first one. Hope they don't have anything special planned for the next day. :-) (still no darn smileys)

@Dave: I think that's the first comb plant I've ever seen. Now if you could come up with a brush plant. Nice look for playing around.

@Rareth: I think you've got a Mysterious Island look going there. Switching might be good but it really depends on what you're after. The blimp in the background makes me wonder what type of expedition is being carried out. Mountain, cloud bank, wonders to behold.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2013

Guss I actually used an old lithograph thing to help me reproduce the Village square, but it actually hasn't change a lot over the years and I have always tended to use it as an old fashioned village. It is in Ireland, so it had to be pigs.

I was there a few years back, actually on St Patrick's day, so even though the main reason for the visit to Ireland was not a happy one I did come away with some happy memories of that area, which is where my younger son now lives. The actual old village square hasn't changed too much, as you can see right at the beginning of this, which I found by accident on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMREGLJVC4M You don't need to watch right through but it does how how the old blends with the new throughout the twon (as it is now)

The worst bit was doing the old church, which is now a Heritage centre

Post edited by Chohole on
  • JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Time permitting, this will be the next product. This will include Horo's converter. Pre-made scenes for outline effects and guides on how to process existing scenes into styalised scenes. Of which there are many options to choose from.

The test images are looking very interesting! I've added your as-yet-unreleased product to my mental wish list, it'll be a "must-have" for me, once you release it.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Pam: That is a nice looking place. Is it mostly farming in the area?

• JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

I had also experimented a bit, though I'm presently a bit distracted by another project.

Wow! These are striking render effects, textbook quality both.
    Trying to catch up on this thread .. losing battle I'm afraid.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2013

GussNemo said:
    @Pam: That is a nice looking place. Is it mostly farming in the area?

Actually nowadays it is mostly a dormitory town for the People who moved into Dublin during what they called the "Celtic Tiger" years.

You know the sort, work in the city live out in the rural areas and commute.

The Central Statistical Office notes that 62% of all private dwellings in Lusk were built in the five years between 2001 and 2006

There are still a few farms, but mostly just residential nowadays, sadly.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited July 2013

Alrighty then; This is my attempt at yet another meta meat ball ....I'm still work on a whole plant but I got movement.....I am quite proud of my basket!!!.....Trish P.S. Dave your plant reminds me of a venus fly trap...Good looking

exp7.jpg
    825 x 838 - 291K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

I can see by this that you are getting a grasp on the necessity of fine adjustments in the controls. As the objects replicate, they rise, spin, squish, etc. This has to, of course, with the way you manipulate your input of the x- y- and z-axes. That's where the fun begins, as you are increasingly able to anticipate what these changes do to your plant. Very nice!

Thanks Michael.

What would help an awful lot would be if you could set the components to 'Object Space' instead of their default 'World Space'. Then the rotations would be a lot easier to follow and predict. I can see just from my plant above and from previous times when I've played with the multi-replicate settings, there is a lot of skill and most likely a fair bit of planning required... Not to mention the time it takes to do anything after you've got a single object consisting of so many metaballs, it was taking a good few minutes just to apply or tweak a material and took about 15 minutes to save the file... Rendering was quite quick though.

edited July 2013

@Rareth - this island is going to look great when it's finished. Lots of potential.

@Trish - nice plants and yes, basket looks "basketish".

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Rareth; Nice Island in the clouds

Horo; Funny play on words

Chohole; It would make a pretty beaded pattern or an idea for a pattern for on of your dresses

Guss; I hope today is the day.....

edited December 1969

Thank you Michael I am having so much fun with this!!! Here are 2 new experiments

exp8.jpg
    666 x 582 - 109K
    exp9.jpg
    650 x 747 - 209K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Bullit....wow...that last one reminds me of chinese petals. Tried this multi-replicate thingy before, and while really an art now by Michael above, I found it can get very confusing - you're essentially thinking on a 3-dimensional level. But very cooool.

Jay

edited December 1969

Jay; If I can do it anybody can..I got to be one of the hardest people on the planet to teach just ask Horo and David.....When Michael said make it like its blowing in the breeze that confused me so I popped over to renderosity to check out his other work to get a clue...and in the tutorials there I found one that talked about the numbers and rotation..ect....multi-replicate has never been my friend either in fact the x,z deal messes me up a lot .....The y I remember from algebra ( which I hated cause I could not see it in my head) I kinda have to be able to see things to learn them......Trish

exp10.jpg
    948 x 757 - 133K
    edited December 1969

Jay; If I can do it anybody can..I got to be one of the hardest people on the planet to teach just ask Horo and David

Well, I can ask myself. I'm incredible complicated and have to note down and repeat steps until I get it. You're not alone. But then, each success is a great accomplishment. Your newest flowers show again great progress. Keep it up. And yes, I also think Michael has kicked off some interest in modeling.
    edited July 2013

Jay; If I can do it anybody can..I got to be one of the hardest people on the planet to teach just ask Horo and David.....When Michael said make it like its blowing in the breeze that confused me so I popped over to renderosity to check out his other work to get a clue...and in the tutorials there I found one that talked about the numbers and rotation..ect....multi-replicate has never been my friend either in fact the x,z deal messes me up a lot .....The y I remember from algebra ( which I hated cause I could not see it in my head) I kinda have to be able to see things to learn them......Trish

Do you also know you can drag the 'Origin Handle' around for the object you're about to multi-replicate, and create even more effects?

In [A]ttributes, check the little 'Show Origin Handle' button and you'll see a very small green dot (it's much easier to see if you set the background colour to black in the mini menu on the right.), you can then select the green dot and drag it outside of the object's bounding box and any rotation you set in multi-replicate will rotate from where you set that point... just to add some more confusion. :+)

Edited to add: I just knocked this up (using a model I made earlier this year that was in my user library) in literally four minutes (plus 2 minutes to render). Moving the origin handle and then multi-replicate 25 times only altering Y rotation by 6°

PencilsFan.jpg
    798 x 542 - 362K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited July 2013

Dave; ok I have cut and pasted your directions so I can play with that later........ yet another new thing I am liking this....you know what they say when the student is ready the teacher will appear........I really don't know who said that but I heard it somewhere. LOL Your pencil model is really cool!!

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

...you know what they say when the student is ready the teacher will appear....

In my case it was; When the student is smoking behind the bike sheds, the teacher will appear. :+(

Glad to be of help. Also note that the origin handle will affect all rotational movement of the object not only in multi-replicate but also any object based manual rotation. It's a great thing to have when animating.

edited December 1969

Dave; ok my pencil is shorter than yours and not as great but I got the idea......Thanks!!

trish_pencil.jpg
    903 x 324 - 75K
    edited July 2013

ok one more ....I had to put some lights in for Horo...LOL

pencil_update.png
    816 x 485 - 185K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

You are making leaps and bounds here. Now set the x,y,z sizes to about 98%. Right now they appear to be at 100. After you've tried that, set x and z at 96, and y at 100.

edited December 1969

Michael; ok I understand how that works now the x,y,z at 98 makes them smaller as they go and the x,z at 96 and y at 100 stretches the ends....Cool !!! This is fun!!!

exp10.png
    800 x 834 - 345K
    edited December 1969

Michael; ok I understand how that works now the x,y,z at 98 makes them smaller as they go and the x,z at 96 and y at 100 stretches the ends....Cool !!! This is fun!!!

Actually, 'Y" doesn't stretch anything; it maintains the height. leaving y at 100 means that each replication will bee 100% of the previous one; in this case, the height will be the same for each object. X and z will manage "left to right" and "front to back" on your 3-dimensional graph.

If you set the percentages to reduce equally, the object will reduce equally as it replicates. Set all the xyz sizes at 96 and the second object will be 96% of the first, and then the third will be 96% of the second, and so on, without distortion. Set one of those numbers at 105, and watch the fun begin: while 2 sizes are reducing, one will be enlarging, and that can provide for some interesting effects.

The offset works the same way: Let's say "1" is an increment of distance. set x and z to zero, and y to 1. The object will raise 1 increment for each replication. Set the y increment at 5, and there will be 5 increments of space rising according to the y axis.

Rotation works the same way. Set the y axis only, and each object will "rotate" according to the y input. Set a different number for each xy and z axis, and your object will rotate in 3 "directions" at once. Hence the bending appearance.

If you fine-tune each input, you will have a complicated set of movements and resizing, and directional activity. If you input your numbers with great sensitivity, your objects will indeed appear to grow, move and bend.

This may sound like a lot to think about, but it's only just the beginning. When you start anticipating the action of these controls, you can envision the type of object and growth by seeing it in your head. (At least, that's how I see it.) This activity applies to any object you can think of, realistic or otherwise. I hope people will see the possibility for replicating architectural objects as well; there's really no end.

This discussion has been closed.