Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited August 2013

I did one more with the water looking terrain, a material which gives the appearance of cork, I think, but it turned out looking like someone smashed one side of the object.

Ring_Thingy_22.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited August 2013

@Dangerlad - welcome in the Bryce forums. The models came out really nice. I like the second, the wooden one, best. Nicely lit, too, all of them.

@Trish - Now we need a horse jumping over it.

@GussNemo - great experiments. I like the material on the fist two, the watery ones look a bit odd. But experimenting is very important.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Still life with 6 trees and a 2D-disk.

Vegi5.jpg
    600 x 800 - 66K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited August 2013

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Dangerlad - lovely models, I like the second best.

Trish - cool model, I like the complete render with the jumper.

GussNemo - great experiments.

Horo - Wow that's awesome, really beautiful still.

Here's another abstract - torus with one of David's materials from the pro-materials. I used this abstract on a 2D in another render.

abstract-torus.jpg
    720 x 540 - 43K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

Funny, it looks to me like an underwater scene. Well done.

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Alright! I guess this is my first Bryce render. I've been experimenting, but never rendered anything to keep until now. I am planning on using it for my avatar, hence the square format. Don't be afraid to tear it apart. I want to learn.

I used an HDRI of Monument Valley from hdrlabs.com and Brachiosaurus from DAZ. Rendered in 23 minutes using IBL lighting, since I used DOF. No postwork, except for sharpening.

I just realized that this beast would be leaving a pretty big shadow so I will go back and fix that. I the meantime, let me know what you think.

Dino_Gramps_3.jpg
    900 x 900 - 221K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I see two tooth and tongue shadows, but is there only supposed to be a single light source (the sun)? And perhaps the darker of the pair of shadows seem a bit too dark?

edited December 1969

@Dino Gramps - good stuff. What Sean observes is probably from the HDRI. Needs either quite a high quality setting or a low one and soft IBL shadows - which is a render hog. You could also use the HDRI without casting shadows and have the sun as main light source. This may already help the blackness. IBL does not easily penetrate into holes - like the mouth. So putting one or two faint radials without casting shadows may sort that part out.

edited December 1969

Strange stuff is happening. Tried enabling the sun, couldn't make that work without radical changes. Took it out and rerendered and it only took 4:30 minutes, plus the hash shadow of the teeth was gone, but the mouth was overexposed. I then moved the yaw of the HDR by .5 of a degree and got a terrible overexposure of the dino. I then moved it .5 degree in the opposite direction of where it started, and got this render in just short of 5 minutes.

Thank you Sean Riesch for pointing out the shadow problem, I am terrible at seeing errors in my own work.

Horo, thank you for putting on the right path. Even though it does not appear that I used your suggestions, my next step was going to be the radial lights.

Dino_Gramps_4.jpg
    900 x 900 - 210K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited August 2013

Dino Gramps: If it were me I would probably put some color to the mouth parts.....just an idea....Otherwise it looks great

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thanks. That is a very beautiful image.

@mermaid: Whoa, way cool, man. Splatter painting.

@Dino: Two things: 1) the tongue in the first image gives more depth to the mouth than in the second image, 2) comparing the shadow of the foreground objects the sun is low in the sky. Being that low, and the creature being that close to the camera the shadow cast by the things body won't be seen. You would have to pan back quite a ways to be able to see the body shadow. To me, the shadow on the left side of the things body fits the bill for a low sun. And until I saw that thing close up I never realized how cute it is.

Finally took the time to go back and follow David's first mobius tutorial. While I have experienced the crashes TopMod is likely to have, I was able, quite slowly, to create the object, remove the cross, remove the cross members, and add the new cross members. I was going to smooth the object while in TopMod but was unable to find a smooth function. So Wings did the smoothing and adding of material. I think removing would have been faster using Wings because faces can't be deleted in TopMod. The only way to remove a face is to select the surrounding edges and delete those. Anyway, below are four of my creations.

Multi_Colored_Mobius.png
    570 x 570 - 503K
    Silver_Gold_Mobius.png
    570 x 570 - 506K
    Blue_Mobius.png
    570 x 570 - 499K
    Pink_Mobius.png
    570 x 570 - 492K
    edited December 1969

@Dino Gramps - good result. Particularly if the HDRI features a bright light source, like the one you used certainly has, can get you into difficulty blending lit and shadowy parts. In this particular case, reducing Diffuse just for the inside of the mouth could help. At the same time, you can apply a bit of red colour, as bullit35744 suggests.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo - cross posted. Möbiuses came out nice.

• Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 255
    edited August 2013

A thank you to all who posted the abstracts that inspired me to have a go. Another big thank you to David Brinnen for his modelling tutorials; they weren't for Blender which is what I used to make these objects, but in any good modeller you can make anything, so I used my knowledge of the way Blender works to adapt the techniques.

The materials are all my own. The metals are from my old product "Killer metals" which has about 50 metals in it for Bryce 4 or above, and is currently not available anywhere, though maybe I should put that right and see if DAZ want to sell it.

The top one I call "Before and After" and the second is called "Energy 1".

Abstract-Objects-01-Rock.jpg
    1440 x 720 - 572K
    Abstract-Objects-1-Metal.jpg
    1440 x 720 - 344K
    Post edited by Fire Angel on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Funny, it looks to me like an underwater scene. Well done.

Thanks Horo. Funny you should say that, I'm working on an underwater scene for days now, having problems with the lighting, so I'm re-viewing David's tutorials.

Thanks Guss - your experiments with the TopMod and Wings are lovely

Dino Gramps - the smiling dino is coming along nicely.

Fire Angel - your attempts are awesome, I like the 1st render more.

edited December 1969

@Fire Angel - ah Blender. I haven't got the hang of it. Good work!

edited December 1969

bullit35744 - Good idea on the color of the mouth, I will tinker
    GussNemo - Yes, I did like the tongue of the first render. As for the shadow, I came to the same conclusion and stopped messing with that
    Horo - A good suggestion. I will work on it.
    mermaid01011 -Thank you!

• Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 255
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Fire Angel - ah Blender. I haven't got the hang of it. Good work!

Blender, weird and wonderful, hard to learn but easy to use once learned. If I can clearly visualise a shape I can usually make it fairly quickly in Blender. The rendering is pretty capable too, though I've done less of that.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Nice work Jamie, Mermaid and Fire Angel, following the tutorials, adapting them and sharing your renders. I've been busy faffing around with vegetation. But for a break I did create another quick Wings 3D model. Wings 3D project - wrapped torus knot - by David Brinnen

Wrapped_torus_knot1_octane.jpg
    850 x 850 - 279K
    Wrapped_torus_knot1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 478K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

hmmm David's are all nice and shiny, mine looks like I left it out in the rain way too many times..

leftoutinrain.jpg
    875 x 875 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you.

@mermaid: Thanks.

@Fire Angel: Those all look great. Nice job.

@David: Finally got to watch the torus knot video, and see another thing I'll have to try. Those two you created are real eye catchers.

@Rareth: Results you achieved are really good. Really like the ground texture. I've been trying using the DTE for that but haven't caught onto it yet.

Decided to give David's Mobius loops another go, this time with 10 segments and a weight of 15. I also tried the other wire frame option just to see what it did. The first wire frame option allows thickness to be adjusted, while the second fire frame option allows thickness and width to be adjusted. The ones below were made with a thickness of .25 and a width of .40.

While David showed removing the braces in Wings, I discovered they could be removed in TopMod using the Delete Edges command, which is found in Tools/Basic/Delete Edges. Once this function is chosen, an edge is deleted automatically just by clicking on it. But care has to be taken or one of the edges of the loop(s) will end up in the trash can instead.

Thankfully I saved each step during the creation of the loop because when I tried to smooth the object TopMod locked up tighter than a drum. And instead of going back into TopMod I finished the smoothing and dividing the parts by material in Wings. Everything else was done in Bryce, including my first time at showing which .hdr was used for the HDRI lighting. I only had time to do two but I think they turned out pretty well.

Blue_Blue_Mobius_3.png
    570 x 570 - 605K
    Blue_Blue_Mobius_2.png
    570 x 570 - 515K
    edited December 1969

@David - interesting model with the torus knot. I prefer the firsz one because there is more contrast.

@Rareth - I think yours came out quite fine. If the floor were brighter, there would be nothing to complain about.

@GussNemo - yup, knots came out fine.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @David - interesting model with the torus knot. I prefer the firsz one because there is more contrast.

@Rareth - I think yours came out quite fine. If the floor were brighter, there would be nothing to complain about.

@GussNemo - yup, knots came out fine.

@Horo, well I was going for a rusted weathered look, and thanks to comments in the 48bit dithering thread, I turned off gamma correction in render options.

@GussNemo in the Terrain DTE use RND Discrete at low frequencies no octaves turn off color and bump you just need alpha, you might need to use clip or smooth clip in the filter to get the blocks to stand out against one another.

edited December 1969

ok well I lied, the frequency for RND Discrete is at 1200, all depends on how big you want the blocks..

block_terrain-settings.jpg
    912 x 486 - 107K
    edited December 1969

Great renders Jamie and Rareth, the DTE driven terrain surface looks very good too.

I've had an intensive day of video recording for the Vegetation product. I've also been working out how to apply the grass textures to curvy landscapes.

Grass_effect_eg5_converted.jpg
    850 x 850 - 372K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

This is looking so good.

edited December 1969

another perspective on the Torus Knot scaffolding..

whatisit.jpg
    875 x 875 - 558K
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Cool perspective!

Here's some promo shots. Let me know if you spot any spelling mistakes. Also, just in case you'd not noticed, we got the stylized renders out. http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/bryce-7-1-pro-stylised-rendering It's a bit buried under girls, but it's there.

Popup_4.jpg
    500 x 650 - 216K
    Popup_3.jpg
    500 x 650 - 202K
    Popup_2.jpg
    500 x 650 - 161K
    Popup_1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 151K
    Main.jpg
    500 x 650 - 245K
    edited December 1969

As well as...

Popup_9.jpg
    500 x 650 - 158K
    Popup_8.jpg
    500 x 650 - 162K
    Popup_7.jpg
    500 x 650 - 100K
    Popup_6.jpg
    500 x 650 - 140K
    Popup_5.jpg
    500 x 650 - 126K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Oooh, nice!
This discussion has been closed.