Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    another perspective on the Torus Knot scaffolding..

Cool perspective!

Here's some promo shots. Let me know if you spot any spelling mistakes. Also, just in case you'd not noticed, we got the stylized renders out. http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/bryce-7-1-pro-stylised-rendering It's a bit buried under girls, but it's there.

leaves, not leafs

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Thank you Pam, will update accordingly!

• Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 255
    edited December 1969

Nearly there... Distant mountains are too low res, especially now I've lowered the density of the haze a little. Ground material is a heavily tweaked version of a Jonathan Allen "seriously real" material.

On-The-Move-Stage-15.jpg
    1876 x 844 - 676K
    edited August 2013

Thank you Pam, will update accordingly!

It's a very common one. In fact one of the on line American dictionaries does actually show it as an alternative, but does admit leaves is the preferred form.

It's a weird set of plurals Leaf...leaves loaf ...Loaves Calf....Calves.

I think it goes back to ye olde English. Welsh is the oldest language used in the UK and does have some connections to the original British language before the AngloSaxons arrived, and the Welsh alphabet doesn't have a V in it. Instead you have F and FF. The F is pronounced as the V sound so presumably leaf was originally pronounced leav which makes leaves more logical as the plural form.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you very much.

@Rareth: Thanks for the information. Thinking this DTE stuff through I think my main problem is applying what's made with the TE DTE to a terrain. Yet I'm determined to get something nice created. Your scaffold looking structure image is great.

@David: Thanks. Your latest grass(?) really looks good. Reminds me of some weeds we have around here, I really was thinking heather but that's something I've only seen in pictures. The promo shots will really grab someone's attention. Luck to you both on that one.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

@Rareth: Thanks for the information. Thinking this DTE stuff through I think my main problem is applying what's made with the TE DTE to a terrain. Yet I'm determined to get something nice created. Your scaffold looking structure image is great.

@GussNemo

There shouldn't be any problems applying the TE DTE to a terrain, anything I do in that seems to get automatically applied to the Terrain I happen to be editing. you are Shift-clicking the button next to picture to get into the Deep Texture Editor from the Terrain Editor right?

This tutorial of David's goes into more detail, its where I got the idea to try other things with terrains other than mountains.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Seeing as we're getting all grassy...

GrassSign7.jpg
    1000 x 300 - 208K
    GrassSign4.jpg
    1000 x 300 - 349K
    GrassSign2.jpg
    978 x 303 - 299K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited August 2013

Rareth; I like your ...left out in the rain...very real looking!!

Guss; I see you have been playing with ships metal ...The shape you made reminds me of a roller coaster

David; you new products are very nice!!

Savage; golfing lately?? Nice job with the grass by the way!!

Fire angel; I like the things your are doing to your scene(not sure what kind of animals) but I like them

This is just a butterfly with 2 dollar grass....LOL not a pretty as David and Horos stuff

The_Butterfly.jpg
    615 x 867 - 412K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@Rareth: I was thinking about this off and on throughout the day, and decided to give an idea a try; I needed a ground texture for another model I made following one of David's ring tutorials. And shock of shocks, it worked. Created a terrain, went into the TE, Newd that terrain, held down the shift key and pressed the button next to Picture, followed your previous suggestions and when I exited the TE DTE what I'd created was in the preview window and the working window. Played around with that in the TE and got something I liked and the result is in the image below. I now know how to create a terrain using the TE DTE, I need to learn how to get symmetrical looking ones. And I think I might know what to do, it's just a matter of giving the idea a try. Oh, and which video were you referring to? There's no link in your last post.

@Dave: The grass in those three images looks real good, though I'm more convinced of it being grass in the third image when I can compare it to the fence, curb and street. However, had you not had the sign, and bird, all three would have been less interesting to me.

@Trish: I think the composition of your recent image makes it very appealing. No one thing in that image overdrives itself, thereby detracting from the overall look. You've created a central focal point, and used everything else to draw the eye to it, whether or not you meant to do this. I really like what you've done. But then again, I'm easy. ;-)

Backtracked a bit and worked one of David's ring tutorials I'd missed. I also continued trying to create a terrain using the TE DTE, and think I succeeded somewhat in the image below. The material is was a dark cobblestone/brick type but I adjusted the colors in the DTE to get what you see.

Ring_Thingy_24.png
    570 x 570 - 721K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited August 2013

@Pam - interesting comment about the -f -ves. My Etymological Dictionary of the English Language, Oxford 1882, has a lot to say about leaf: Middle English (13 to 15th century) leef, plural leues (where the u stands for v); Icelandish lauf, Geraman Laub [which is not correct for Laub is foliage, leaf is Blatt, leaves Blätter]. It may have come from the Greek lepos. It is obviously a very old word which should not surprise, these green thingies have been hanging around for quite a while. History of the language is most fascinating.

@Dave - the sign is just great!

@Trish - the tuft of grass looks great. The butterfly is nice.

@GussNemo - That one came out awesome.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Fire Angels elaborate project continues and is looking good.

Nice work with the grass Dave, the DOF and contrast of the picket fence version is particularly nice. The materials respond very well to shadows. Probably should talk about the render times though!

Trish, nothing wrong with your "2 dollar grass" that a bit of smoothing wouldn't help. You could try importing the object into Wings3D, giving it a smooth and exporting again, that might take the edge of some of those angular joints. It depends how it is made if it will tolerate this treatment. But it is a possibility.

Good going Jamie with the TE DTE work, you figured it out by yourself. OK here's another video and model for you.

Wings 3D project - twisted mobius cube interlocking shape thing* - by David Brinnen

Bryce then Octane.

Twisted_mobius_cube1_octane1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 186K
    Twised_mobius_cube1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 346K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2013

"It’s a very common one."

Agree with chohole...it's a very common mistake, as I think when you introduce plurality the rules sometimes change; especially going from two (e.g. objects, people...anything, literally) to more than two (three, four, five... etc.,). Remember the issues surrounding supermarkets advertising incorrectly the '10 or less' check-counter as opposed to the correct '10 or fewer' check-counter...hahaa.

The leaves/leafs also reminds me of the story behind as to why Lynne Truss titled her book...'Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation'.

Save you looking up the story, someone on Wikipedia has given it (see below) - I'm sure I'm not breaking any copyright rules by including it here.

STORY:
    A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and proceeds to fire it at the other patrons.

"Why?" asks the confused, surviving waiter amidst the carnage, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

"Well, I'm a panda," he says. "Look it up."

The waiter turns to the relevant entry in the manual and, sure enough, finds an explanation.

"Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."
    Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Rareth: I was thinking about this off and on throughout the day, and decided to give an idea a try; I needed a ground texture for another model I made following one of David's ring tutorials. And shock of shocks, it worked. Created a terrain, went into the TE, Newd that terrain, held down the shift key and pressed the button next to Picture, followed your previous suggestions and when I exited the TE DTE what I'd created was in the preview window and the working window. Played around with that in the TE and got something I liked and the result is in the image below. I now know how to create a terrain using the TE DTE, I need to learn how to get symmetrical looking ones. And I think I might know what to do, it's just a matter of giving the idea a try. Oh, and which video were you referring to? There's no link in your last post.

@Dave: The grass in those three images looks real good, though I'm more convinced of it being grass in the third image when I can compare it to the fence, curb and street. However, had you not had the sign, and bird, all three would have been less interesting to me.

@Trish: I think the composition of your recent image makes it very appealing. No one thing in that image overdrives itself, thereby detracting from the overall look. You've created a central focal point, and used everything else to draw the eye to it, whether or not you meant to do this. I really like what you've done. But then again, I'm easy. ;-)

Backtracked a bit and worked one of David's ring tutorials I'd missed. I also continued trying to create a terrain using the TE DTE, and think I succeeded somewhat in the image below. The material is was a dark cobblestone/brick type but I adjusted the colors in the DTE to get what you see.

That looks great, the terrain came out very well, you can save the terrain height map to a library inside the TE DTE then use it in the Mat Lab DTE as a base or alpha map for a texture.

here is the tutorial I was referring to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm9U9sWbO0Y

The geometry synthesis tutorial.

edited December 1969

@David - very interesting shapes. The material on the first one is particularly nice.

edited December 1969

Seeing as we're getting all grassy...

And this latest discovery lends a whole new meaning to "Keep off the grass" http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-23824099

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

David – love the new wrapped torus knot examples. The new products are awesome. Best of luck to you and Horo. I like the latest video, especially the Bryce render. Thanks

Rareth – love your experiments with the wrapped torus knot especially the Torus Knot scaffolding. Thanks for sharing how you did the background in the 1st example.

Guss – all your experiments are so cool. The background using Rareth's idea came out lovely.

Fire Angel – the scene is looking nice.

Dave – got you - keeping of the grass.

Trish – lovely simple render.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    And this latest discovery lends a whole new meaning to "Keep off the grass" http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-23824099

:lol:
  • dyretdyret Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

LOL. Someone might not think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence after that.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

dyret said:
    LOL. Someone might not think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence after that.

Certainly looks like someone's business has gone to pot. :D
    edited December 1969

dyret said:

Certainly looks like someone's business has gone to pot. :D
    But not to the pothead.
    edited December 1969

Added another twisted block in the middle, so it became a 4x4 cube instead of a 3x3 cube.

Twisted_mobius_cube2_octane1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 212K
    Twised_mobius_cube2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 371K
    edited December 1969

Look clearer than the previous ones.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,379
    edited December 1969

Lovely interesting shapes David, I really like these. I seem to be having problems with the rotation in the mobius strips, and I'm using the tab key for degrees for the rotation. The gray cells are not allowing me to think clearly. Not giving up. ;)

• JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Just playing around with rays. Nothing too impressive but its a learning process.

Sparkly_Cube.jpg
    612 x 792 - 259K
    Chocolate_Elephant_3_DOF.jpg
    918 x 1188 - 515K
    edited August 2013

@Horo: Thank you very much.

@David: Thanks. I figured out how to apply the texture by myself, but it was your videos and help from Rareth that have given me enough information so actually create something. I've even figured out if a texture is created in the TE DTE, accepted, then reenter the TE DTE and set everything back to nothing, you still end up with some kind of texture. The beige colored ground in the last two images below is the result of doing what I just explained. I've done it twice and both times the resulting texture is different. Those first images are neat, though I won't say what the first one reminds me of since I don't think I can post it on here. The next two are way cool, so when I have time I will watch the video and post what I come up with.

@Jay: That is priceless.

@Rareth: Thanks, it was a bit of a surprise after it rendered. I have been saving the textures I've created, though it's only been 2-3 so far. Ah, yeah, I've watched that video and will do so again to gain a better understanding.

@mermaid: Nice of you to say so, though there are times I do have my doubts. Especially when the render looks like a cat walked through the wet paint.

@JStryder: Like the light on the elephant and stone. I almost get the feeling the elephant is about to become a member of a very foreign zoo.

Okay, finally took the time and worked through David's Torus Mobius video. And David was right, adding the braces to this object was quicker than the TopMod loops. I'm also crowing, to some degree, because the ground in these images is a terrain I created in the TE DTE. I haven't played around with the DTE enough to yet predict the results, but I was pleased, and surprised, I finally got some cubes to form. The other ground is creating a texture in the TE DTE, going back into the TE DTE and removing all the settings. The result is some type of texture as seen in the last images. Stay tuned, more are sure to follow.

Torus_Mobius_6_Sig.png
    570 x 570 - 761K
    Torus_Mobius_5_Sig.png
    570 x 570 - 768K
    Torus_Mobius_4_Sig.png
    570 x 570 - 930K
    Torus_Mobius_3_Sig.png
    570 x 570 - 873K
    Torus_Mobius_2_Sig.png
    570 x 570 - 858K
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

Actually, this time I find all 5 renders beautiful.

edited December 1969

@JStryder - nice experiments. The first one looks better because the elephant is in the rays and the cube has them mainly on the far side.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

David; I really like the contrast with the clear one the best...nice job!!

J Stryder; your elephant came out great!!

Guss: awesome!!! but as usual the last one is my favorite...The colors!!!

edited August 2013

Thank you Mermaid.

HStryder, rays are challenging, no doubt. With effects, remember the tendency is that as you work on them, you get used to them and as a result turn them up a bit at a time to retain their initial impact.

Great results Jamie, I particularly like the last one also.

As a bit of a relief from vegetation (I've looked at a lot of vegetation this weekend) - I too have been playing with wings.

Glass material from the x-change at Bryce 5. com, metals and light from http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro-50-metals-the-treppenhalle-set

Edit. Also...

Bryce 7.1 Pro - Stylised Rendering

Stylised renders - a brief overview and a bit of a tutorial - by David Brinnen

Wings_thing_with_loops_again2s.jpg
    850 x 850 - 289K
    Wings_thing_with_loops_again2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 318K
    Wings_thing_with_loops_again1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 403K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

The toon one is breathtaking!

This discussion has been closed.