Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited September 2013

Horo...that is simply excellent (particualrly the larger view) - I could almost have pulled it out of the screen :)

Many, I believe, don't like 3D anaglyphs - wonder is it because of the effect it has on viewers eyes and heads (headaches etc.,), or simply lack of knowhow, lack of software (here's a free 3D Anaglyph Maker for those wanting one). Have several frineds also who hate the current 3D movie versions - ah, pedants ;)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Here is another attempt at modeling my iPhone using Wings3d. I think this one is more accurate in regards to the model. I just can't seem to get the reflectiveness of the screen to match what I see on my real phone. More work I guess, but for now I'm going to try working on something else to give my iPhone a rest.

iPhoneModel_2.jpg
    1194 x 995 - 811K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@Jay - there are also people who just can't see the effect. A disadvantage of anaglyphs is that you have to wear those goggles and you can't get true colours. But they are popular in science. Many many anaglyphs are created from the Mars pictures sent by the Opportunity and Spirit rovers. I can see that there are going to be anaglyphs and anaglyph movies when I download the images. The camera on the rover is just rotated a bit to one side.

@Dangerlad - the model is much better with the round edges.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,381
    edited December 1969

Starionwolf - nice idea, I like the characters.

Trish – you did a good job with the car. The dragon is ready to attack someone. Love the clouds

David – beautiful shape and renders, this time my favorite the 3rd one (Octane).

Dangerlad – good modeling

Horo – very nice object. I like the material you used

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Horo...that is simply excellent (particualrly the larger view) - I could almost have pulled it out of the screen :)

Many, I believe, don't like 3D anaglyphs - wonder is it because of the effect it has on viewers eyes and heads (headaches etc.,), or simply lack of knowhow, lack of software (here's a free 3D Anaglyph Maker for those wanting one). Have several frineds also who hate the current 3D movie versions - ah, pedants ;)

Jay

I'm one of those that don't like the 3d movies. Actually I've only seen one, that was enough. For me, the 3d effect is a distraction that inhibits me from following the movie. That is just me. The other problem, is that the 3d effect seems to change from scene to scene - expanding, contracting etc. For me, 3d movies are not ready for prime time, certainly not worth the premium ticket price. Now IMAX (not the 3d incarnation) I enjoy and will pay the price.

edited December 1969

@Dino Gramps - movies are yet another thing. When you are outdoors, you also see the environment and how your eyes move makes sense to the brain. In a movie, you only have a tunnel view without the environment around you and you're sitting there without moving your head. This can be very confusing and this is what you feel. Stills are a bit less of an issue, nevertheless you're looking at a surface quite near to you but the eyes must stay parallel like when you're looking into the distance. This confuses the brain.

edited December 1969

Trying out a render following David's Florescent Electron Edge video. I hope no one gets sick looking at it. :)

Some of the "viruses" are actually rendered close-ups of the virus model re-introduced as 2d-faces in order to save memory. The only problem with doing that is initially the 2d-face was not bright enough, so I linked a spotlight to each 2d-face to brighten it up. And as I'm writing this I realize that I could have added a single light source and have it only affect the 2d-faces. That, I think, should work in the same way as long as I set the fall-off to none. Next time...

VirusAttack.jpg
    995 x 995 - 609K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Dangerlad said:
    Here is another attempt at modeling my iPhone using Wings3d. I think this one is more accurate in regards to the model. I just can't seem to get the reflectiveness of the screen to match what I see on my real phone. More work I guess, but for now I'm going to try working on something else to give my iPhone a rest.

To get something looking reflective, like an I phone screen, you need something for it to reflect like an environmental background - HDRI or just a background image, put in the right place. Ideally you want something quite "busy" to generate this impression.

Scene 0 and scene 1 use the same materials and lighting. The thing that makes the materials in scene 1 look more shiny is the HDRI being used as a background. Note that if you use a flat reflecting surface (as opposed to a curved one) you will probably need to employ a higher resolution background image to avoid any obvious pixelation.

Oh good work too with the virusus!

Example_scene_1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 148K
    Example_scene_0.jpg
    500 x 650 - 119K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited September 2013

I’m one of those that don’t like the 3d movies

Yeah, know exactly what you mean...my friends express similar sentiments. However, for my eyes, anyway, it's always the detail, the additional experience...etc - Avatar movie simply blew my mind...superb; opened up new possibilites. There are others who like the B/W versions, too, which have their credits.

Guess it's just one of preference - let no [one] change your mind, your personal feeling and experience; no matter how professional, how opinionated they sound. What matters is how such experiences makes one feel.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited September 2013

@Mermaid: Very nice render of the TopMod shape. I like the composition and it's inspired me try something like that in the future. Thanks for giving the tutorial a spin.

@JStryder: Really liking the crystal tanzanite forest! Great work with the terrain editor.

@Dangerlad: The iphone is looking good. Keep pressing forward with the glass and maybe add some IBL to give it that pop it needs. Cool looking viruses...

@Trish: Nice texturing of the Ranger. Looks very realistic. Love the dragon!

@DavidBrinnen: Really liking the two Octane renders. Thanks for your help with tutorial. Can't wait to see what you come up with in the way of texturing!

Post edited by Fencepost52 on
    edited December 1969

A question, is it possible to blend 2 colors on a helical object? I created an object that looks like a strand of DNA. One side of the helix is colored red and the other side is blue. I want to blend those colors across the bridge making sure that the red end of the bridge stays on the red side of the helix and the same for the blue.

As for my iPhone render, I though I had included an HDRI image in the background but maybe my rendering setting cause that to wash out. I'll try again in a couple of days.

DNA_2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 19K
    edited December 1969

Dangerlad said:
    A question, is it possible to blend 2 colors on a helical object? I created an object that looks like a strand of DNA. One side of the helix is colored red and the other side is blue. I want to blend those colors across the bridge making sure that the red end of the bridge stays on the red side of the helix and the same for the blue.

As for my iPhone render, I though I had included an HDRI image in the background but maybe my rendering setting cause that to wash out. I'll try again in a couple of days.

Interesting question. I'll have to think about that. My initial idea would be to create a "straight" helix, UV map it and then deform it into the helix. The UV map would not "know" about the deformation since it was created beforehand so all you would solve for is the straight helix which would be an easier question.

Here's this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUGVutV3XvU&feature=youtu.be from Fencepost (Art Wade) rendered in one of Horo's HDRI's Anteroom to which I've applied the RTR process to create plausible shadows.

RTR_anteroom_eg1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 205K
    edited December 1969

@David - looks great, really. The vacuum cleaner is a bit amiss, but that's not your fault.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

I like the interlocking star object.

starball2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 607K
    starball.jpg
    800 x 800 - 162K
    edited December 1969

Nice work, all! Thanks for taking the tutorial for a spin! They all look really great.

edited December 1969

Dangerlad said:

you mean blended like so?

dna.jpg
    800 x 800 - 75K
    edited December 1969

@Rareth:

No, not exactly. What I'm looking to do to have the colors follow the twist of the helix. If, as in your image, the top is blue on left and red on right, then at the bottom after a single 180 degree twist the colors would appear to have flipped sides. I have attached a couple of images to demonstrate what I mean as it's hard for me to explain without a visual. I hope this explains what I'm going for. (I apologize for the non-Bryce images and the poor quality of the example)

Twist.jpg
    939 x 1815 - 641K
    ladder.jpg
    549 x 1665 - 284K
    edited September 2013

Dangerlad said:
    @Rareth:

No, not exactly. What I'm looking to do to have the colors follow the twist of the helix. If, as in your image, the top is blue on left and red on right, then at the bottom after a single 180 degree twist the colors would appear to have flipped sides. I have attached a couple of images to demonstrate what I mean as it's hard for me to explain without a visual. I hope this explains what I'm going for. (I apologize for the non-Bryce images and the poor quality of the example)

ah I see, Bryce did its own thing on me again.... well David's suggestion with UV's is probably your answer...
    I know you can do blending within the material lab... will do some more testing, I probably forgot something simple..

sigh.. I was right, I did forget something simple... object mapping instead of world mapping..

dna2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 75K
    Post edited by Rareth on
    edited December 1969

What about using metaballs or is that what you've used? I'm not on a machine that has Bryce installed, but if I recall correctly, the colors will blend. Could be wrong, but it's worth a shot.

edited September 2013

What about using metaballs or is that what you've used? I'm not on a machine that has Bryce installed, but if I recall correctly, the colors will blend. Could be wrong, but it's worth a shot.

for mine its a replicated wings3d object the material just a red and blue wave (1D, Freq 1) smooth clip filter, with object mapping

dna3.jpg
    800 x 800 - 92K
    Post edited by Rareth on
    edited December 1969

@Rareth - both are nice bit the dark is absolutely smashing. Very beautiful material and light. Helixes are nice, too.

edited December 1969

Dangerlad said:

Interesting question. I'll have to think about that. My initial idea would be to create a "straight" helix, UV map it and then deform it into the helix. The UV map would not "know" about the deformation since it was created beforehand so all you would solve for is the straight helix which would be an easier question.

OK I've tested this idea quickly and it does work, if I get some time over the weekend I'll make a short video to explain the steps, it is not too difficult, using Wings 3D and UVMapper - both of which are free.

edited December 1969

@David, I look forward to that video. Take your time there is no rush. I have been playing with the UV Mapping option in Wings3d but have been frustrated, most likely because I'm using a complex object for my test. That's me putting the cart before the horse.

@Rareth, I know that I could do the blending on a smaller/simpler object. I do like your example. But the object that I'm using is a solid helical object. Imagine that the end of yours are fused together, so all the red balls are fused together and all the blue balls are fused together. I am just a bit more ambitious in my object to my detriment.

edited December 1969

well UV mappers and I don't play well together, I am much more comfortable working with procedural textures and material zones. Every time I try to UV map something it all goes cattywompus on me. (especially in Hexagon).

anyway.. back to images of DNA or something..

dna4.jpg
    800 x 800 - 179K
    edited December 1969

I was playing with the UV Mapper in Wings3d and it's still giving me fits. Taking a break and going to go microscopic again.

DNA_and_Viruses2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 243K
    edited December 1969

Dangerlad said:
    I was playing with the UV Mapper in Wings3d and it's still giving me fits. Taking a break and going to go microscopic again.

OK try this Wings 3D, UV Mapper Classic and Bryce - colouring both sides of the helix - by David Brinnen

Coloured_helix1.jpg
    529 x 796 - 134K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,381
    edited December 1969

Nice work from everyone and some cool experiments.

Thanks David for the new tutorial. Something to play with this weekend. :)

edited December 1969

Dangerlad said:

OK try this Wings 3D, UV Mapper Classic and Bryce - colouring both sides of the helix - by David Brinnen

well that was a learning experience.. will have to try that sometime

edited December 1969

ok that UV mapping exercise was fairly painless. volume was a tad low.
    anyway I got things figured out..

hexlix-uvmap.jpg
    875 x 875 - 228K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2013

Another render from me. This one took over 3½ hrs to render, but that could have been because I used a cube fill light stretched to fit the inside of this model as well as 3 other radial lights, one to light the streaming light rays through the broken roof and the other 2 to light the tunnel and the phantom.

My fave photofilter added in PS to ramp up the contrast a tad.

Somewhat unusual for me, no landscape and no trees. :coolsmirk:

Danaides_3b.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 550K
    Post edited by Chohole on
This discussion has been closed.