Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

The picture below is my first result after I have bought the package "Vegetation". I had not too much time for Bryce lately, so I just had the time to watch Horo's video about the tree lab and try out a few materials. But I think for Bryce trees are these both not too bad. I switched off the transparency of the fooliage, otherwise the render time were exploded.

Very nice trees here, i think it looks like xfrog one. I wonder how many memory they're consuming?

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

Thank you Horo, Trish, C-Ram.

@C-Ram: I am afraid, I have no idea, but I will look it up for you.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

It's been 40 days since I last rendred something in Bryce and had fun. A dragon from the Stanford Scanning Repository is always a nice object. Here with 75% transparency at a low refraction index and 25% reflection. The HDRI used I found on the DVD that came with Christian Bloch's HDRI Handbbok 2 (Tokyo Big Sight) and I adapted it for Bryce (they are made for 3dsMAX, Cinema4D, Collada, FBX, LightWave, Maya and Modo). It is medium resolution at best and the goal here was to find a balance between HDRI DOF and DOF on the scene. This is not trivial because objects depicted in the HDRI are in reality at different distances but on the same plane in a 2D image. For shadow capture, the conventional method with a transparent ground plane and a negative infinite parallel light was used. The HDRI was not tonemapped - though it looked very nice - the render lacked contrast and drama. The HDRI DOF was set to 20%, the DOF for the scene focused on the dragon's head with a lens radius of 0.03. Rendered with 33% soft HDRI shadows and quality 16 with 64 rpp. It took less then 8 hours in normal priority.

TokyoDragon.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 120K
  • DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I am attaching a landscape render that I am working on. I would appreciate people opinions on it.

Known issues:
    1.) Clouds quality poor (had to use the worse quality for image to render in a reasonable time. Render took over 5 hours to complete)
    2.) material on all terrains is a bit off to my eye
    3.) the mid-ground terrain is a bit bare. I tried adding trees (to act like bushes) but that slowed the system even more
    4.) overall color is a bit bright, may need to reduce IBL lighting or use TA.

Headlands.jpg
    1400 x 700 - 730K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Dangerlad said:
    I am attaching a landscape render that I am working on. I would appreciate people opinions on it.

Known issues:
    1.) Clouds quality poor (had to use the worse quality for image to render in a reasonable time. Render took over 5 hours to complete)
    3.) the mid-ground terrain is a bit bare. I tried adding trees (to act like bushes) but that slowed the system even more

Combining volumetric clouds and IBL is very expensive on render time. Combining volumetric clouds and TA - nightmare! If you do use IBL make sure your volume slab is excluded from the IBL light. Or... produce a mask and render your clouds without IBL (use just sun and ambient light) and your ground without clouds and IBL then recombine. Or - change your lighting to something better suited to your clouds.

Horo, excellent render and good work with the shadow capture!

Electro-Elvis, nice work with the vegetation and thanks for the mention.

Mermaid, I like the effect in that final render it looks like you've got lightening trapped inside the material.

I'm still working on my ever growing to-do list of tutorials to make - here's another I've been intending to make for a few weeks now Bryce Advanced Topic - combining several heightmaps into one - by David Brinnen

edited December 1969

@Dangerlad - When you loaded the HDRI, haze was switched off. Sky and clouds therefore look rather cartoonish. Once you have haze on and adjusted, remove some light. The scene looks over-bright and there are no shadows that give contour to the mountains. Or you have the sun shadows off. This is a global control, even if you don't use the sun, if the sun shadows are off, all other light sources won't cast shadows. And as David suggested, if you use IBL, exclude the volumetric clouds. You won't see a difference but the render is much faster.

@David - thank you.

edited December 1969

Dangerlad said:

Known issues:

Bryce Basics - Free content cloud over Big Sur - by David Brinnen

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Cool looking double helix. And the cube, wow, eye catching. I followed Pam's link and downloaded the flowers, though it took a bit to understand which to load.

@electro: Those are darn good looking trees, and really draw the entire scene together.

@Horo: Way neat scene, nice job.

This is an idea I had after seeing mermaid's scene containing flowers, it's also the first time I tried importing a DAZ figure into Bryce. Please feel free to provide critical comments.

Dragon_Flower_w_Rocks_7_Sig.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
    Dragon_Flower_6_Sig.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited September 2013

Guss; Where did you get that material for the dragon? you must have changed his materials around? the flower came out well. I like the second one better...These are the settings I use to export as a wave front obj.....Then on your desktop you will find a Map folder and a Converted folder and as long as they are there just go ahead and file import with Bryce...just in case you do other things..I leave those folders on the desktop and Daz will keep adding to the same ones and I keep my Daz obj files in the map folder then I can pull them as I need to .....just an idea bring more stuff to play with...Trish

wavefobj.jpg
    503 x 573 - 119K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@Trish: A person on a site I visit created them. There are ten UV mapped coverings for the sub-dragon, which I did tweak a bit by increasing the bump height just a bit on this dragon. I still have the .zip file and if you'd like it send me a PM how to send it to you. I get the same window when exporting from DAZ, the bridge has never worked for me even though I have the required version of Bryce.

edited December 1969

To anyone who knows the answer to this question...........Is there a way to make a blacklight effect in Bryce??? thanks Trish

edited December 1969

To anyone who knows the answer to this question...........Is there a way to make a blacklight effect in Bryce??? thanks Trish

As in UV lighting? Since that seems to be mostly about making things glow in strange colours then I would suggest using the ambient channel in your materials to add some greenish glow, turn down your main light sources and modify the colours to suit the visible component of the UV spectrum (usually a very strong purple/magenta colour is all we see) and then turn up the contrast of your images in a paint package perhaps.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo - nice dragon. I prefer the second one. Interesting rubber material. And thank you.

@Trish - not sure what exactly you're looking for. Maybe Obscure Lighting for Indoors can give you an idea.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

@Thanks David and Guss

@C-Ram: The whole scene with the grass and the 2 trees needs 2,176 GB memory. A single tree needs 855 MB. That's quite a bit. That I did not run into a crash, might be because I am using LAA. I wonder if you saved it as a Bryce object, whether this would reduce the usage of memory.

edited September 2013

Like this.......Google blacklight and you will see Horo

bl.jpg
    668 x 856 - 426K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Oh, I see. Those UV lamps were the hit in the early sixties. I'm not sure they are still allowed hereabouts because of the eye damage they can cause. The only way I see how you could emulate this is by applying blue/violet ambient light to white objects.

edited December 1969

oh I was just thinking ahead to a creepy Halloween render

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Like this.......Google blacklight and you will see Horo

I'd start with David's tutorials on how to make things glow and then tweak the colors from there.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,381
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo, David and Guss. The material for the object was the Glass Bubble 2 from the presets, I got the effect I liked by moving the Hdri- the control in the IBL .

Horo – great render
    Electro-Elvis – the trees and the grass are looking nice
    Guss - cool dragons, really like the material you used on the dragon.

edited December 1969

@Thanks David and Guss

@C-Ram: The whole scene with the grass and the 2 trees needs 2,176 GB memory. A single tree needs 855 MB. That's quite a bit. That I did not run into a crash, might be because I am using LAA. I wonder if you saved it as a Bryce object, whether this would reduce the usage of memory.

Thank you electro elvis, that's a lot of memory for such a complexe scene and too much for me to compose one of my futur picture.

I'm using LAA too but i don't think that those trees cost less in memory usage after saving them in Bryce object format.

edited December 1969

Here is a reworking of my previous landscape post. I changed the clouds as they were not really work for me. I also changed a couple of the materials as well.

Headlands3Master.jpg
    1400 x 700 - 712K
    edited December 1969

And there's some haze now. Great improvement overall. Keep it up.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

c-ram said:
    @Thanks David and Guss

Thank you electro elvis, that's a lot of memory for such a complexe scene and too much for me to compose one of my futur picture.

I'm using LAA too but i don't think that those trees cost less in memory usage after saving them in Bryce object format.

The trees are Bryce trees, they are not Xfrog trees. These trees are already in the Bryce Object format.

Bryce trees use a ton of memory. Most of the memory is consumed in the trunks and branches, the leaves are the inexpensive part. Because the trunks and branches are made from metaballs, they are have a weird surfacing that is highly polygon intensive.

I can rig a similar looking tree in Carrara that uses much less memory. This is one of the main reasons I keep pushing for Bryce to somehow gain access to the tree modeler in Carrara.

Fun Fun!

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited September 2013

I hate it when I can't get in here frequently to stay current with my comments'; always afraid I'll leave someone out. So, I'm going to give a global shout out to all who have posted the last couple of days. Very inspirational work!

Post edited by Fencepost52 on
  • JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @mermaid: Cool looking double helix. And the cube, wow, eye catching. I followed Pam's link and downloaded the flowers, though it took a bit to understand which to load.

@electro: Those are darn good looking trees, and really draw the entire scene together.

@Horo: Way neat scene, nice job.

This is an idea I had after seeing mermaid's scene containing flowers, it's also the first time I tried importing a DAZ figure into Bryce. Please feel free to provide critical comments.

Nice, unusual skin texture. Didn't know dragons liked flowers; thought they mostly went for gold and jewels. Perhaps this is the "Ferdinand the Bull" of dragons, then; or it is just curious. I've been playing with dragons in Bryce a bit lately too. Which model is that? Where did the texture come from - is that the DAZ texture exported to Bryce, or did you add it in Bryce?

edited September 2013

dangerlad; very nice!!!

ok here goes....The more I work with darkside the more I hate it .....can't find content.....frick...frack...razzle...ect.
    The reason I asked about blacklight is I have one see picture ..It exports as a wavefront obj but when it imports into Bryce nothing is there....Any ideas or comments or help???

help999.jpg
    431 x 543 - 193K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you. It took awhile to remember how to pose figures in DAZ Studio but I eventually got there.

@mermaid: Thanks. Glad you liked it.

@Dangerlad: That image is loads better. And those clouds are terrific.

@JStryder: The dragon is the DAZ subdragon, the texture is one of ten textures I acquired from another site a person did for the subdragon. Yeah, dragons are know for liking shiny things, but just suppose how docile they'd be if they like flowers instead. Of course someone would have to do something about all those maidens.

edited December 1969

@Trish - you cannot export lights out of DAZ, neither can you export cameras.

edited December 1969

c-ram said:
    @Thanks David and Guss

The trees are Bryce trees, they are not Xfrog trees. These trees are already in the Bryce Object format.

Bryce trees use a ton of memory. Most of the memory is consumed in the trunks and branches, the leaves are the inexpensive part. Because the trunks and branches are made from metaballs, they are have a weird surfacing that is highly polygon intensive.

I can rig a similar looking tree in Carrara that uses much less memory. This is one of the main reasons I keep pushing for Bryce to somehow gain access to the tree modeler in Carrara.

Fun Fun!

You're right Rashad, Bryce trees often cost more than Xfrog trees in memory and that's why I prefer Xfrogs one to compose a scene.

I usualy use bryce trees for the backgrounds and my favorite tree is the helmlock tree because it use only about 9000 poly and can be easily instanced. My next picture will be composed of a background hill with about 4000 helmlock, memory usage : 300 Mb, not so much..

Your Carrara trees available at share CG are not expensive too in terms of memory and have a better look than bryces one.

Yeah Fun Fun and Fun!!

edited December 1969

Another landscape render, this time a night time look. The image used as the background is from the NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day website (http://apod.nasa.gov/apod). It is a picture of NGC 7822 in the constellation of Cepheus (on the site 10/22/2010 for those interested. I do like how the render came out. I based the look on another picture from the APOD site (I've included it as a reference). I couldn't find a similar background for my attempt at it.

NightWater.jpg
    900 x 1353 - 839K
    mwrock_cherney.jpg
    900 x 1353 - 180K
This discussion has been closed.