Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited October 2013

I watched David's newest videos and I have attached some attempts at the first of the HDRI reflection videos. I thought in looking at the video that it would be a nice effect to have some Anisotropy in the reflection on the ground plane. I went through the process of adding the anisotropic affect to the render but all the reflections were affected. I ended up in combining a good reflection render with the blurred reflections render in GIMP to get the image I had envisioned. At the same time I did a post-work image of the good reflection and used GIMP Gaussian blur effect to blur the reflection on the ground plane.

The first image is the straight render.
    The second image is the post-work Gaussian blur effect combined with straight reflection objects.
    The third image is the blurred reflections render.
    The forth image is the post-work blurred reflections combined with straight reflection objects.

VariousObjects-blurredFinal.jpg
    800 x 800 - 360K
    VariousObjects-blurred.jpg
    800 x 800 - 249K
    VariousObjects-final.jpg
    800 x 800 - 286K
    VariousObjects.jpg
    800 x 800 - 300K
    Post edited by Dangerlad on
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

Haven't been on in quite awhile, but hopefully I can now that my chores are almost finished. :) Don't have time to comment on all the posts I missed, but there's definitely some great work here!

@DaveSavage: Let us know how the polar bear cards work out. I'd buy them. Good luck!

@Dangerlad: I watched that video last night and can't wait to try them out. Your work looks great. Number 3 is my fave. The blurry reflections are nice and pull my eyes to the cube objects in the middle. Don't know if you used DOF, but if you didn't the blurry reflections simulate the effect. Nice job!

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

goofygrmom3, to be fair I'm covering rather exotic topics at the moment. Just happens to be where my experiments have taken me. I would suggest for your scene, making sure your global (sun/moon) shadow intensity is set to 100 and that you set Skydome and Global Ambient to fully black. Then see where you are with your lighting and add more light sources as you need them.

Dangerlad, brilliant! Yes, good idea to try out blurred reflections!

Here's another little idea...

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - Two minute remix of AOLS - by David Brinnen

Starter_for_HDRI_obscure_reflection2_remix1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 251K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

Oh, now that's just snazzy! That's going on my immediate to do list! Nice work, David!

• goofygrmom3goofygrmom3 Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

Thanks David. I'll see what I can do.

I love those blues and the shine.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,530
    edited December 1969

@starionwolf - your green sky looks interesting. I like the scene you used it in. What I don't understand is why you use that sky as a 2D- face (pane) behind the window. It would render in Bryce directly if the window is transparent.

@mermaid010 - the shape look nice, I prefer the second render.

@goofygrmom3 - nice start. Keeop on developing it and then we can perhaps give some advice regarding the light.

@Dangerlad - looking really good. I like the idea with motion blur.

edited October 2013

After a hard day's work, a bit of fun with a dragon from the Stanford Scanning Repository, a ground plane and an HDRI. No postwork.

FunDragon01.jpg
    800 x 533 - 116K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • goofygrmom3goofygrmom3 Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

Awesome dragon Horo!

I found some written tutorials for Bryce. They are much easier for me to follow. I'm going to read thru them and see what I can do. If I get lost for a couple days you'll know where to find me. I'll be somewhere in Bryceland...

• winijawwinijaw Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

First time posting here. But not my first piece of work out of Bryce. It's been years since I've used it, so I've only just started again. I did a few renders before this. But this is my favorite one so far. I think it came out pretty nice. No post work done.

g_ring_planet_sml.jpg
    1080 x 405 - 238K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@winijaw, that's an interesting scene, reminds me of some alien landscape paintings I saw many years ago. I get the feeling that the landscape is miniature though, almost as if there was some depth of field made to the camera?

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited December 1969

winijaw, I like the planetary scene. Thanks for posting.

Horo said:
    @starionwolf - your green sky looks interesting. I like the scene you used it in. What I don't understand is why you use that sky as a 2D- face (pane) behind the window. It would render in Bryce directly if the window is transparent.

old habits die hard. lol. I guess I'm so used to using 2D planes in backgrounds ever since Windows 95. I finally learned how to export an object from Daz Studio 3 to Bryce 5. I know, I should install Bryce 7 Pro soon.

The scene looks ok with the exception of Laura's hair. The hair is bob hair by Kozaburo. I'll go look at the hair settings tomorrow.

Good night all.

Laura_bryce.jpg
    640 x 480 - 36K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

WOW some beautiful renders had by all...........before I go to bed I had to share this I hope I am not cheeting rendered in darkside....moving it to Bryce in the morning.........

dog_cat.jpg
    1580 x 855 - 708K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Betsy: One thing I noticed is the bench, which seems to be floating. Maybe putting it into the ground just a bit will help?

@DangerLad: Like your results following David's latest tutorial. I have to vote for the second one, the last two do funny things to my eyes, even though they do look neat.

@David: Wow, lovely objects. I'll have to watch that video.

@Horo: That's a cool image, love the ground effects.

@winijaw: That's a real nice space scene. I wonder if a few stars wouldn't help make everything pop?

@starionwolf: Looks nice, add the right ground material to make it look better.

@Trish: Cute, Trish, real cute.

Hopefully I'll have a few TE Canyons posted sometime soon, I'm exploring materials that fit the type brush I used to create the canyon. Some work, others don't.

edited December 1969

Awesome dragon Horo!

I found some written tutorials for Bryce. They are much easier for me to follow. I'm going to read thru them and see what I can do. If I get lost for a couple days you'll know where to find me. I'll be somewhere in Bryceland...

Thank you. By the way, if you prefer written tutorials, have a look at my website (see sig). Go to Raytracing > Tutorials and Bryce Documents. And there are many good written tutorials around elsewhere. What goes for Bryce 4 also goes for Bryce 7.1, it just misses the new options we got meanwhile.

@winijaw - welcome to this forum. Interesting space scene.

@starionwolf - you're doing fine. Hair in Bryce can indeed be a major issue.

@Trish - haha. Your avatar has improved :coolsmile:

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Horo; yes I spent enough time as the wicked witch of the west.....The people over at the Darkside are more helpful now also....LOL

edited October 2013

Art and goofygrmom3, Thank you!

Horo, stunning results and without postworks too! On the ground at first I thought I was looking at a fractal. Very interesting.

Winijaw, hello and welcome. Great render, like the composition and the fantastic scale.

Starionwolf, yeah Bryce can be a bit funny about texture transparency. You might have to tinker with the material settings for anything with transparency.

Jamie, well if you liked those...

These two use the same process as in the video

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - Two minute remix of AOLS - by David Brinnen

And the objects themselves come from Horo and mines new product which is in the shop at the moment at a decent discount - for anyone who's got money burning holes in their pockets! http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/bryce-7-1-pro-fifty-funky-shapes-and-fifty-funky-metals That's a goodly slab of funk for your pennies!

Starter_for_HDRI_obscure_reflection2_remix3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 354K
    Starter_for_HDRI_obscure_reflection2_remix2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 403K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2013

And for those of you who are having such fun with these funky shapes, David and Horo's latest hit the store today, and with a power up point for those who are collecting them http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/bryce-7-1-pro-fifty-funky-shapes-and-fifty-funky-metals

Post edited by Chohole on
  • winijawwinijaw Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

@Horo and David: Thanks!

@GussNemo: Thanks, I did try much brighter stars at first. I just thought they stuck out too much.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,381
    edited October 2013

Betsy: that’s a very nice scene to start with.

Dangerlad: love the way you use David’s videos and experiment.

Horo: The dragon render is awesome.

Winijaw: A nice space scene.

Starionwolf: Looks nice

Trish: Very cute I like your new avatar

David : love the effect of the last one, will try it this evening.

My attempt at your new videos – reflecting Hdri

The 1st is the initial setup – I liked the effect so I saved the image

The 2nd and 3rd are as per your videos.

I used Horo’s Sramp Hdri

Edited: oops the 2nd is the initial setup not the 1st one lol

hdrireflection3b4obscure.jpg
    600 x 600 - 42K
    hdrireflection2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 43K
    hdrireflection1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 60K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    And for those of you who are having such fun with these funky shapes, David and Horo's latest hit the store today, and with a power up point for those who are collecting them http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/bryce-7-1-pro-fifty-funky-shapes-and-fifty-funky-metals

Thank you Pam!

Well done mermaid! Particularly on getting the tricky negative one working.

You are welcome, winijaw.

Here'a another of these shapes rendering using the processes described in the latest video's I posted to my youtube channel.

Starter_for_HDRI_obscure_reflection2_remix4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 329K
    edited December 1969

@goofygrmom3 - thank you.

@David - thank you. Considering that the hyper-value trick you discovered has been working since Bryce 5.0 I wonder how it could have taken almost a dozen years until someone stumbled over it. Good catch, you're the champion!

@Pam - thank you. The product was scheduled for tomorrow with an extra bonus for PC members on that day - provided everybody got it right at DAZ3D - and I haven't mixed up everything.

@mermaid010 - thank you. The HDRI you used fits the subject matter very well.

• DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Welcome Winijaw, I agree with Sean in that the foreground of your image gives the impression that it is a miniature, possibly because the camera is close to the ground.

I was looking through my collection of science pictures and one of the them caught my interest, a shot of a total solar eclipse. So I decided to try to get Bryce to do the same. I created and HDRI backdrop using the Scene Convertor. To get the blacked out portion of the sun I simply put a very large sphere in the sight line of the camera, very similar to using a sphere as the sun in a sunset scene. I'm not total satisfied with how the corona turned out. It's a bit dark, I may go back and rework the HDRI image. For the actual image I had the sun enabled but not visible and I positioned the sun in the same spot as the HDRI background sun. I debated using stars in the background but in the end I do not use any because there were stars visible very close to the sun and while I would imagine that some stars would be visible during a total eclipse I don't think that they would visible as close to the sun as they did in my renders.

Eclipse3.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 461K
    edited December 1969

@Dangerlad - it doesn't look that bad. In fact, there's obviously a lot of humidity in the air spreading the light. You may consider using a volume material that glows on a sphere and place it instead or in addition of the sun, then eclipse it with a dark sphere and adjust its size.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Dangerlad...that looks excellent.

I tried this total eclipse thingy once in Bryce (click image below - original post in the Forum about a year ago), so it's quite possible to produce something very close to the original.

The mats used are in Bryce, but I can't seem to find their original name - even when opening up their material (M) properites from the original Bryce file. However, a lot of transparency was applied, and the radial light behind was effective, too.

Jay

Eclipse.jpg
    863 x 1211 - 364K
    edited December 1969

@David: Yeah, I do like those, really like those. All of those objects really pop using that technique. I've a bit of catching up to do.

@mermaid: Great results from the tutorial.

@DangerLad: Nice, really nice.

Finally have my two RW projects finished, at least the majority of the work, just need drawer pulls for the one, so I had time to try my hand at the TE canyon; I've a bit of catching up to get to.

I decided to try one of the other available brushes, just to see the results, and found only terrain material with a lot of bump worked well given the pattern of the brush.

If everything displays as I upload them, the first image is without any material so you can see the brush pattern. The next one is with terrain material containing bump, third a sandstone type material that does not work well, and the next two with, again, bump.

All but the first image are rendered at 144 RPP, TA, standard Bryce sun but with a custom sky where the colors were tweaked just a bit. I don't think this first try turned out to bad, but when I get the hang of doing these canyons I'll try a bit more tweaking with lighting and the sky. And possibly a different water or two.

TEcanyon_8.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    TEcanyon_7.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    TEcanyon_3.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    TEcanyon_2.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    TEcanyon_1.png
    1080 x 810 - 1011K
    edited December 1969

@Jamahoney - I think I remember that one. It looks really very convincing. Considering that the protuberances change all the time, your render looks as real as the photograph.

@GussNemo - good work. The third is the best IMO and the last one second.

edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you. I wasn't too happy with the third one because the wall on the left looked too flat, without real looking features. I was after something like the last image or the other two. But that's what practice is for, right?

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Cheers, Horo...was so close to attending an actual Total Eclipse in Turkey some years back, but other things popped up, so had to decline (but viewing one is still on the 'bucket list').

Guss...I like render 4 best, as I find the geological-looking units (layers..etc.,) in the others just too perfect - give me the dirt, the old, the worn, the mistakes any time ;) That's not to say the others aren't good either, no, it's just that 4 looks more 'natural-like'.

Jay

• vindazivindazi Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

a few more examples of metaballs and replication. Some older work, but stuff that I'm still quite happy with.

Can the animation of these images be captured while they are replicating?

• vindazivindazi Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

Can the animation of these images be captured while they are replicating?

This discussion has been closed.