Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Same Valley, later in the day.

Later_in_the_Valley.jpg
    675 x 900 - 605K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited October 2013

WOW chohole it just keeps getting better and better!!!!

David; Very good mountains!!!

mermaid;I like that landscape

dangerlad; your experiments are working out well...keep it up

Horo; nice diamond looking texture on your shape

Post edited by Trish on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,530
    edited December 1969

@Pam - the autumn leaves look great.

@Trish - thank you.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

A random noodle with the Gigantic Wide Angle Lens of the inside of a Funky shape captured with the Spherical Mapper. Just for fun.

Sm_cube_wrap_tunnel1.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 960K
    edited October 2013

David; I bet you can't say that 3 times really fast.....

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Ah, that one looks really funky, David. Great material choice, the rills complement things nicely.

edited December 1969

Thank you. Continuing with the lighting experiment.

Magic_hour3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 462K
    Magic_hour2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 403K
    edited December 1969
    Canyon_recipe1.jpg
    1700 x 567 - 489K
  • Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 255
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that, I'll be trying that out soon. Although I've been using Bryce for many years and I have made canyons very successfully it's interesting to see another approach, very different from the one I normally use. Definitely worth testing to see how it fits with my own techniques. I'll post an image sometime in the next couple of weeks so you can see how I get on.

edited December 1969

Thanks for that, I'll be trying that out soon. Although I've been using Bryce for many years and I have made canyons very successfully it's interesting to see another approach, very different from the one I normally use. Definitely worth testing to see how it fits with my own techniques. I'll post an image sometime in the next couple of weeks so you can see how I get on.

You are welcome, I look forwards to seeing your findings.

Here's another related to the same canyon. Bryce Landscaping - lighting a canyon - by David Brinnen

Canyon_recipe1_defaut_sky2.jpg
    1700 x 567 - 524K
  • DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

David, I look forward to looking at those video's of yours sometime later tonight or early tomorrow.

Another Metal to Glass attempt.

This time I used the "Yellow metal with fine regular pattern" as the base and changed the mapping mode from Object Cubic to Spherical (mainly because of some breaks in the tiling of the material). The object itself does not look glass-like but if you look at the shadow the object casts you do see it's glass-like nature. I used the Old Heating Room HDRI as the background and rendered using Regular quality (if I recall correctly). The ground plane is using the Bryce Automotive Paint metal material (Champagne is what it is called).

I think my next attempt is going to be combining the Extreme Value Metals tutorial with the Funky Metal to Funky Glass tutorial, but first I will need to review both video sets.

geodome_pattern_spherical.jpg
    700 x 700 - 342K
    edited December 1969

David: I really like the canyons....Did the first one not render all the way??? Trish

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Here's another related to the same canyon. Bryce Landscaping - lighting a canyon - by David Brinnen

Whole scene looks grogeous - love the water's colour. Could be a canyon on Mars, too, but that would really be controversial - what with all that water ;)

Jay

edited December 1969

David: I really like the canyons....Did the first one not render all the way??? Trish

Good catch. Indeed it didn't go to the end. nevertheless, canyon and colours are great - almost Marsian, as Jamahoney suggests.
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: That image is gorgeous. The glass object is extremely plausible. Nice job.

@DangerLad: Your star field images are good starts. Even with a moon visible, the sky is going to be black black. Without a moon visible, mountains can be seen but only as shapes against whatever stars are showing. Living in an area that gets black black when the sun sets, I can attest to absolute nothing definite being recognized without some amount of moon visible. Really like the shapes you've done, especially the glass one.

@Jay: That's a neat image.

@Dave: Simply lovely scenes of Peter. Best of luck getting these to the market, they're worth it.

@Pam: First scene is so very nice, but the second one--wow, lovely.

@David: Love the landscapes, they look like scenes I've seen in desert areas. And the noodle, marvelous. I'll have to watch your new videos when time permits.

edited December 1969

Horo said:

Good catch. Indeed it didn't go to the end. nevertheless, canyon and colours are great - almost Marsian, as Jamahoney suggests.

Yes, I must have got confused since I decided half way through to try and tutorialise the process. I have another stage yet I will try to get done. But in the mean time here's the fully rendered image.

Thank you Jamie,

And Dangerlad, keep up the experimentation, it is the best way to learn just this side of trying to put together a tutorial. Also good to see you finding your way around the mapping modes. Definitely an advantage Bryce has over both Octane and DS.

Magic_hour3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 479K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,381
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the comments about the Hdri backdrop landscape. I got lucky with everything falling into place. ;)

Dangerlad- all your experiments are very encouraging, the landscapes and the still life.

Jay- lovely night scene

Horo – the funky shape metal to glass is awesome. Thanks for sharing the other bits of information.

Dave – Best of luck with the Polar Bear Cards

Pam –both are nice. I agree with Horo the 1st one looks more like a painting.

David – your experiments with the lighting are very inspiring. The latest render with Gigantic Wide Angle Lens is magnificent. You and Horo have a winner with your Funky Metals and Objects. Best of luck with your products.

Thanks for the new tutorials, looking forward to doing them.

My attempt at your latest glass rendering and metal to glass tutorials. Obscure lighting, TA Premium Render 64 RPP, MRD 6 and TIR 4

The one on the left is a Bumpwine metal from the Pro Materials which I tried to modify based on your video. And the one on the right is the glass material as per your tutorial.

glassrenders1.jpg
    800 x 400 - 36K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the comments about the Hdri backdrop landscape. I got lucky with everything falling into place. ;)

Dangerlad- all your experiments are very encouraging, the landscapes and the still life.

Jay- lovely night scene

Horo – the funky shape metal to glass is awesome. Thanks for sharing the other bits of information.

Dave – Best of luck with the Polar Bear Cards

Pam –both are nice. I agree with Horo the 1st one looks more like a painting.

David – your experiments with the lighting are very inspiring. The latest render with Gigantic Wide Angle Lens is magnificent. You and Horo have a winner with your Funky Metals and Objects. Best of luck with your products.

Thanks for the new tutorials, looking forward to doing them.

My attempt at your latest glass rendering and metal to glass tutorials. Obscure lighting, TA Premium Render 64 RPP, MRD 6 and TIR 4

The one on the left is a Bumpwine metal from the Pro Materials which I tried to modify based on your video. And the one on the right is the glass material as per your tutorial.

Mermaid, renders look very good, but somewhat lacking in light, if you patience will take it I would suggest adding standard Bryce sun to give a focus and cast a key light shadow. This will add contrast to your image and maybe some highlight to your materials - depending how they are setup.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Eclipse:

Cheers, Horo, Mermaid and Guss...I doubt it will be anything like this tonight (best at around ~ 23.00h UTC), and if it is, doubt further in viewing it as the weather here is rainy and cloudy...grrrrrrr.

Jay

edited October 2013
    Canyon_recipe2.jpg
    1700 x 567 - 506K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - the shapes are good, the general lighting as well. What is missing are highlights from either reflection and/or specular. The setup has really potential, it is just a bit flat the way it is.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

This thread is full of fantastic pictures.

@David: Thank you for your canyon tutorials. I made a rather narrow canyon. The first pictures is lighted with Bryce Sun and TA. It got a little bit too dark, I think. The second it is also the Bryce sun and TA plus a distant light to enlight and tint the shadow areas a bit.

canyon_ta.jpg
    400 x 800 - 50K
    canyon_ta_dl.jpg
    400 x 800 - 55K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,381
    edited December 1969

Thanks David and Horo for your suggestions. I will try to view David's latest videos on lighting to get some ideas how to improve the lighting.

Electro-Elvis - nice canyons

edited December 1969

This thread is full of fantastic pictures.

@David: Thank you for your canyon tutorials. I made a rather narrow canyon. The first pictures is lighted with Bryce Sun and TA. It got a little bit too dark, I think. The second it is also the Bryce sun and TA plus a distant light to enlight and tint the shadow areas a bit.

I think they are both good, both work, one is brighter than the other but the darker one does not look out of place either. The deeper the canyon the more challenging the lighting. If you go any narrower, you might find it better to try using terrains on their sides instead. I can't remember if I've covered that before, but if not or I have, I will probably make a video for it to accompany these.

edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - I find the one with the darker shadows more interesting, the lighter one is a bit soft, less dramatic. Maybe the lighter one is what you would perceive if being at this spot, the darker one the photo you would have taken.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: Finally took the time to watch the canyon videos, they are great. Thank you for making them. This is something I will try when I can single my mind in on them.

@mermaid: Love the shape of the objects, and the material you chose. Since lighting has already been mentioned, I'll not go there again. Hope to see those again with the suggested lighting.

@electro: Wow, makes me feel as though I'm there. While both are really good, I'm drawn more to the right scene because the left wall face is more illuminated. But that just my preference. Nice job all around.

edited October 2013

David; WOW the finished one is awesome I feel like I need a boat to float down the river...LOL your tutorials are great...Thank you !!

Elvis; I really like both of them very good job!!

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Occasionally DS will play ball with Bryce. This figure is Lora http://www.daz3d.com/lora-for-v5-and-young-teens I had to adjust some of the transparencies, as you do, but otherwise the process was relatively painless.

Thank you for the kind remarks on the tutorials and images.

Canyon_recipe_lora1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 303K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Great canyons!

This one is one of those "I don't know what I just did but it looks interesting" renders. :D

LookingOver.jpg
    450 x 650 - 348K
    edited December 1969

Great canyons!

This one is one of those "I don't know what I just did but it looks interesting" renders. :D

Looks like a blizzard - works well.

Continuing with the canyon theme.

Bryce Landscaping - Adding sheer walls to the canyon - by David Brinnen

Canyon_recipe4.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 571K
This discussion has been closed.