Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,530
    edited December 1969

@Dave - interesting effect in the sky.

@David - Sheer walls look great.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Horo,

Fascinating study of the layered renders. I think the glass turned out amazingly well, nearly surreal. I've never quite seen that effect before.

David B.
    The lens looks cool!!! The canyon study is very beautiful. I think the girl is a bit large compared to the scaling of the rest of the canyon. I'd assume she is several hundred feet tall. I think we could also remember (provided we are not in premium render mode) that we can use a 3d Fill light to illuminate areas deep in the canyon where the skylight has difficulty reaching. I'd say that if working with TA then one can surely skip the 3d fill. Also, much thanks for the feedback on Volc Arch. You know how long I've been at this and your continued support is what keeps me going. Maybe one day soon we will see it hit the stores here at Daz.

David Savage:
    I LOOOOVE everything you make, but I love this bear even more. I am so glad to see him back his adventures are always fantastic. I love the way he walks through the water. I love the strong blue casts to these images. Amazing.

Chohole
    Nice landscape. Those trees look too good to be Bryce trees. Am I correct?

Mermaid
    That hdri backdrop blends so seamlessly with the render that I literally have sto study the image to see where one effect and and the other begins. Bravo.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited October 2013

so I finally had a chance to watch the tutorial on how to create a green sky.

I merged the sky with my scene I made in Daz Studio 4. Sorry you can't see much of the sky. At least it is not bright green like in my last render. lol. Don't worry; I'm planning to make a new scene without the high castle wall anyways.

I used Bryce to create the sky. Then I used Gimp to put the rendered image (BMP) of the scene on top of the green sky. I had to create an alpha layer and delete the grey "sky" in the Daz scene. I then saved the resulting image as the Jpeg you see below. Next time, I'm going to create a plane and apply the sky to the plane. That way is easier.

edit: I forgot to mention that I am not using IBL. I will try to use image based lighting to see how long the scene will render.

green_sky.jpg
    349 x 465 - 43K
    Post edited by starionwolf on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Horo,

Fascinating study of the layered renders. I think the glass turned out amazingly well, nearly surreal. I've never quite seen that effect before.

David B.
    The lens looks cool!!! The canyon study is very beautiful. I think the girl is a bit large compared to the scaling of the rest of the canyon. I'd assume she is several hundred feet tall. I think we could also remember (provided we are not in premium render mode) that we can use a 3d Fill light to illuminate areas deep in the canyon where the skylight has difficulty reaching. I'd say that if working with TA then one can surely skip the 3d fill. Also, much thanks for the feedback on Volc Arch. You know how long I've been at this and your continued support is what keeps me going. Maybe one day soon we will see it hit the stores here at Daz.

David Savage:
    I LOOOOVE everything you make, but I love this bear even more. I am so glad to see him back his adventures are always fantastic. I love the way he walks through the water. I love the strong blue casts to these images. Amazing.

Chohole
    Nice landscape. Those trees look too good to be Bryce trees. Am I correct?

Mermaid
    That hdri backdrop blends so seamlessly with the render that I literally have sto study the image to see where one effect and and the other begins. Bravo.

Rashad there are quite a few Bryce trees in there, well ok there are 7, but many instances of the 7. Only the foreground tress are imports.

BTW I am hoping you will join in the render challenge again. Not getting many renders this month so far. Need more entries.

• goofygrmom3goofygrmom3 Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

Lots of awesome work here.

I have to admit to being partial to Peter the polar bear. Love the one with the little reindeer. I'd buy that Christmas card in a heartbeat.

Sorry not to be around much lately. Hopefully this week I'll be able to be around more.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Chohole,

I will get to work on a submission asap. The works uploaded so far are really good for the Halloween contest. See ya soon.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Whole scene looks grogeous - love the water's colour. Could be a canyon on Mars, too, but that would really be controversial - what with all that water ;)

I saw something in the news recently about there being a significant amount of water in the martian soil. I don't know what it would take to make it it fit for human use, but perhaps there will be cost effective methods to extract it, compared to launching it from Earth.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

I took a crack at this one... will continue with the next one in the series

canyon1.jpg
    800 x 400 - 170K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that, I'll be trying that out soon. Although I've been using Bryce for many years and I have made canyons very successfully it's interesting to see another approach, very different from the one I normally use. Definitely worth testing to see how it fits with my own techniques. I'll post an image sometime in the next couple of weeks so you can see how I get on.

You are welcome, I look forwards to seeing your findings.

Here's another related to the same canyon. Bryce Landscaping - lighting a canyon - by David Brinnen

lighting my Canyon with David's tutorial

canyon2.jpg
    800 x 400 - 254K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I have been trying again to get a realistic looking early dawn scene. I quite like this one, because I like silhouettes

After the Darkness

After_the_darkness_3.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 523K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited October 2013

chohole; I think that one is great

rareth; good job on the tutorials...I am going to have to watch the rest of the one I started soon.....

Rashad; Nice to hear from you again...awesome work!!

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@Rareth - good start and improvements but I'm not yet convinced. The first one has a flat looking sky, the second one has waves on the water that are not consistent. However, you did much better then I, I haven't even tried yet.

@Pam - the sky looks great, the silhouettes as well. If that was your aim, you got it.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Rareth - good start and improvements but I'm not yet convinced. The first one has a flat looking sky, the second one has waves on the water that are not consistent. However, you did much better then I, I haven't even tried yet.

@Pam - the sky looks great, the silhouettes as well. If that was your aim, you got it.

The sky in the first one appears flat due to the use (and experimentation) of using a cloud plane (not the volume slab)

not happy with the water in the second one myself, still working finding the right ripple effect.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited October 2013

Yeah, chohole...gorgeous Autumnal feel to it - if you stick your ear very close to your render/work you can just about hear a Blackbird's call ;)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

@Rareth - I thought my comment would be redundant. You have a good eye yourself.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: Canyon walls look great, and another video to watch is great.

@Dave: My first thought on seeing your latest Peter scene was meteors, except they lack fiery tails. Wind driven snow I can go with except it seems to only be above Peter, and not around Peter. Still, whatever it is it looks great and fits in well with the entire scene.

@Rareth: I rather like your first canyon image better because it has that sunrise/sunset quality to it due to how the light lites up the canyon.

@Pam: After seeing many a days at this time of day, that scene hits the nail on the head. The only thing I questioned was the amount of light reflecting off the foreground water. With that small hill between the water and the view of the rising sun, I'm not sure there'd be as much reflection as is in the scene. Besides my nitpicking, it is a terrific scene. I should be so luck to produce something as good.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,381
    edited December 1969

Guss- Thanks, played with the lighting this weekend, but in vain. I will re-watch some David’s videos on lighting later today.

Rashad – Thanks for the nice comment :)

Chohole – love the silhouette

• DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited October 2013

Once again watched David's tutorial on glass material and rendered the following:

Object is based on David's Two part Woven cube in Wings3D. The glass material is the standard Bryce glass material modified via David's video and given a little yellow color in the Transparent node. the metal material is one of the P41 metals ("Metal, Gripped" to be exact).

I am personally pleased as to the material on the ground plane. I watched a little of David's Funky Glass video and tried to mimic the ground material from that video. I was able to create the extreme response value for the reflection (but the setting value is much lower than in the video). The Anisotropy and Bump map nodes used the "Sandy" material from the Sand texture group with only bump output.

It is lit using the Treppenhalle2 HDRI from Horo using the Regular render mode.

2pieceWovenCubeGlassMetal.jpg
    800 x 800 - 711K
    Post edited by Dangerlad on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Taking another break from Peter the Polar Bear.
    I've been working on this house of cards. This is only an initial test and I've only duplicated one card. Next I plan to import more card faces and make my own custom card back. Maybe set up some impossible configurations of balanced cards too.

HouseOfCards.jpg
    450 x 650 - 239K
    edited October 2013

@Dangerlad - the cube shape looks good. The transparent part looks more like jelly than glass to me. It is an interesting effect.

@Dave - no need to worry about any draught. Cool idea, really.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Rareth - The canyon's looking good. I enjoy watching WIPs.

Chohole - Beautiful scene. Very serene.

Dangerlad - Neat cube. I like the contrast in textures.

Savage - Love the cards. Wish I could do that in real life...

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Rashad, thank you, yes the girls scale is a bit large - I don't do much figure work, so it is more luck than judgement if I get something like that right. I do keep meaning to get on with exploring the other light sources, but staggeringly there are still things to discover about how TA works. And you have proven right about boost light, it is the better way if you can beat the noise. Which can be done.

starionwolf, nice to see the tuts are coming in useful for you!

Rareth, thanks for including your images made from following the tutorials, the shape turned out well, better than mine I think.

Pam, After the Darkness - beautiful The enhanced glow - in post? Works very well and the reflection in the river relives the darkness and shows up details close to the camera in a good way.

Dangerlad, excellent render, a bit on the dim side for my tastes, but the materials all work well.

Dave, as ever, brilliantly composed and executed scene. The surface material on the ground really compliments the "flatness" of the diffuse cards.

HDRI reflection effects without using LDRI images? Can that really be done? It would seem so. I continue my quest for perfectly plausible lighting. Bryce 7.1 Pro Experiments - Advanced Obscure Lighting Setup - by David Brinnen

Starter_for_HDRI_obscure_reflection2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 144K
  • DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Horo - How would I modify the transparent material to make it closer to glass?

I am attaching screen shots of the settings I used both for the Skylab and the glass-like material. For the Glass material I started off using the glass material that comes with Bryce and all I did was remove the Specularity, add a little bit of Ambient response, and change the Transparent color to Yellow (255, 255, 0). In the SkyLab, I used the HDRI as the background and added it to the Sky. I increased the Intesity of the HDRI to 10 and applied it to the light source. The rest is set as you see. I would appreciate any advise you might provide.

SkyLab.jpg
    1270 x 541 - 225K
    MaterialSettings.jpg
    1290 x 515 - 166K
    edited December 1969
    Starter_for_HDRI_obscure_reflection1_2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 163K
    edited December 1969
    Starter_for_HDRI_obscure_reflection1_4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 220K
    edited October 2013

@Dangerlad - If possible, remove all ambience but add specularity instead. Glass reflects light, ambience just makes an object glow. There won't be a lot of specular from the HDRI, it's a bit tricky to set it up, but you have it from the sun and that's good. It is, however, in vain because you have it at 0 for your glass. Move it up.

What is missing is your render otions settings. Maximum ray depth may be set to 6 or higher and do use TIR and set it to 2 or higher.

Here's what I'm working on currently if I have a free minute or two. I use max ray depth 8 and TIR 4. Otherwise, the shape has nearly the same settings as yours but I'm using anisotropy and yes, 1.5 ambient.

Klunker05.jpg
    800 x 600 - 263K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited October 2013

My green sky is on a plane behind the window. I need to tone down the white clouds a bit. I do like the blue horizon.

edit: forgot to upload another version of the sky. I actually like the puffy, white clouds in the second render.

green_sky_4.jpg
    640 x 480 - 54K
    new_stephanie_petite_3_green_sky.jpg
    640 x 480 - 62K
    Post edited by starionwolf on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,381
    edited December 1969

Dangerlad- lovely results

Dave- now that’s a cool stack of cards.

Horo – lovely effect

Starionwolf – nice renders

After re-watching David’s and Horo’s videos on lighting, here are my results on the glass renders. The setting are the same, I did not use obscure lighting this time only IBL with an Hdri. Render Premium 256 Rpp, Tir 4, MRD 4, Soft shadows and TA. In the first I had Boost Light checked render time – 5 ½ hours and in the second Boost Light was unchecked – 3 ½ hrs.

Although I used 256 Rpp, I find both are somewhat noisy and I’m not sure if the materials look like glass. Besides that I am happy with the results as balancing material and lighting is difficult for someone still trying to understand the basics of Bryce and lighting glass is a bit more difficult.

Thanks David for the new videos. :)

glassmetal3.jpg
    800 x 400 - 39K
    glassmetal2.jpg
    800 x 400 - 35K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: I know the feeling about lighting, it's still something I'm trying to get the hang of.

@David: Watched your latest three videos, heavy stuff, but oh the results are nice. I really liked the results with the three objects in the obscure lighting video. That one I'll have to watch again.

@Dave: That house of cards scene is extremely nice. Hope we'll get to see the next on with the face cards.

@Horo: Awful nice scene with the glass object in it.

@starionwolf: You're getting some interesting results with your green sky. Comparing both skies, the horizon color in the second image might work better in your first image where that horizon color is much too blue for the rest of the sky.

edited December 1969

So much to learn it boggles my mind. And I have a hard time following video tutorials. But I'll get there eventually.

I was playing this morning. I made the temple a while back but hadn't done anything with it. I decided it was time to use it in a scene. As you can see this is a work in progress. Not sure where I'll go with it. Started to call it 'temple of the birds'. Just others words for a fancy birdbath.

thanks for lookin'

suggestions always welcome

TempleoftheBirds-Birdbath10-23WIP.jpg
    640 x 480 - 73K
This discussion has been closed.