Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David/Horo: Both of you have developed some very nice objects and material. David, the first two cubes have a very nice metallic material and the third a very nice plastic. I haven't watched the glass videos but what you've shown makes me want to.

@Dave: Peter is looking great in all his current scenes.

@DangerLad: Both of those images are really neat, the ground material and color for the group of rings. But I favor the second one because the color helps define all of the rings.

@electro: Love the watch tower, I think it's a very nice composition.

@Trish: Nice bridge.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,530
    edited December 1969

@Trish - as it appears, you're up to another nice render.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2013

I am struggling with my latest render, it needs something, not sure what.

Terrains, symlats and rocks, mostly, with a couple of trees added.

spooky_landscape_4.jpg
    675 x 900 - 455K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Terrains, symlats and rocks, mostly, with a couple of trees added.

An excuse for another light source within the scene perhaps? A fire? A will-o-the-whisp? Something like that?

edited December 1969

Something of an advert for the Lenses and Filters.

Bryce 7.1 Pro - world in a tunnel lens effect - by David Brinnen

GD_pana_to_sm5.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 324K
    GD_pana_to_sm4.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 406K
    GD_pana_to_sm3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 402K
    GD_pana_to_sm2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 262K
    GD_pana_to_sm1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 341K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited October 2013

chohole; maybe a person or animal
    Horo; I am not sure if it came out ok or not pop over and see its on my other thread at art studio
    Guss; Thank you

Post edited by Trish on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,381
    edited December 1969

Horo and David: the experiments by both are very nice and inspiring. Thanks David for the new videos.

Dave: I love all your polar scenes.

Electro: very nice render, I like your color combination

Trish: the bridge looks very nice.

Chohole: I like it as it is, a bit of a mystery.

The 1st - my attempt at David’s super metal. I grabbed the Blue Hex material from Bryce5.com while I was there.

The second -the sunset with glowing stars combining it with the anisotropic reflection tutorial.

sunsetwithglowingstars1.jpg
    960 x 720 - 41K
    supermetaleffect.jpg
    600 x 600 - 62K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Contrast. And, as David suggested, a light to make bump work. It all looks a bit like flat faces, like cardboard. I'd like to propose using an HDRI because of the superb bump it creates, but I rather think it wouldn't work here.

@mermaid010 - it seems to me that the object with the super material lacks some specular. Sunset looks nice, the FOV is probably a bit high with the stars getting elongated towards the picture frame. That they are reflected in the water is a nice effect.

• goofygrmom3goofygrmom3 Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

Looks like y'all were very busy this weekend. Sorry I didn't stop by, but the garage sale just plain wore me out. But I've rested up now and will be playing and posting this week.

I love those funky shapes. I'm gonna have to watch the videos to see how they're made.

And that polar bear is so cool.

• DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited October 2013

I have been playing a little with David's Glass videos, most specifically the Funky Metal to Funky Glass video. I decided to use a couple of metals from David and Horo's Old Heating Room and Treppenhalle2 metal sets and convert (or tried to convert) them to glass-like materials. First one should be the metal version (the object is an Octotoad from Wings3d modified using one of David's Ring Thing videos) and the second should be the glass version. The materials used are as follows:
    Ground plane - Metal, dark and patterned (P41 Metal)
    Outer Rings - Zinc, iridescent (P41 Metal)
    Outer Surface of Core - Rainbow-colored reflective metal (P43 Metal)
    Inner Surface of Core - Fancy Metal (P43 Metal)

I rendered both using Obscure lighting with TA (low rays per pixel) and Horo's Treppenhalle2 HDRI in IBL as the background)

RingedOctotoad-Glass.jpg
    700 x 700 - 602K
    RingedOctotoad-Metal.jpg
    700 x 700 - 539K
    Post edited by Dangerlad on
    edited October 2013

Dangerlad said:
    I have been playing a little with David's Glass videos, most specifically the Funky Metal to Funky Glass video. I decided to use a couple of metals from David and Horo's Old Heating Room and Treppenhalle2 metal sets and convert (or tried to convert) them to glass-like materials. First one should be the metal version (the object is an Octotoad from Wings3d modified using one of David's Ring Thing videos) and the second should be the glass version. The materials used are as follows:
    Ground plane - Metal, dark and patterned (P41 Metal)
    Outer Rings - Zinc, iridescent (P41 Metal)
    Outer Surface of Core - Rainbow-colored reflective metal (P43 Metal)
    Inner Surface of Core - Fancy Metal (P43 Metal)

I rendered both using Obscure lighting with TA (low rays per pixel) and Horo's Treppenhalle2 HDRI in IBL as the background)

The glass version does look more exciting, it does seem to have worked, at least as far as I can judge. Well done for following the tutorials!

I've been amusing myself with the lenses again
    Bryce 7.1 Pro - world in a tunnel lens effect two - by David Brinnen

Sea_tunnel1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 282K
    Sea_tunnel2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 377K
    Sea_tunnel3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 310K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

@Dangerlad - both attempts look nice. Thanks gfor using our products.

@David - nice tunnel effects.

edited December 1969

Horo and David: the experiments by both are very nice and inspiring. Thanks David for the new videos.

Dave: I love all your polar scenes.

Electro: very nice render, I like your color combination

Trish: the bridge looks very nice.

Chohole: I like it as it is, a bit of a mystery.

The 1st - my attempt at David’s super metal. I grabbed the Blue Hex material from Bryce5.com while I was there.

The second -the sunset with glowing stars combining it with the anisotropic reflection tutorial.

Interesting results with the super metal. And the stars effect certainly works. I quite like very wide FOV's in fact... More messing around with the gigantic wide angle lens.

Engine_tunnel1.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 625K
    edited December 1969

That one looks really amazing. Great image used, too.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    That one looks really amazing. Great image used, too.

Thanks Horo, a picture taken at Cadwell Park during the dinnertime break. Here's another GWL mashup.

Sin_loop1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 251K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,381
    edited December 1969

Horo - Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it very much. I still follow David's tutorials without really understanding the whys and hows. lol

Dangerlad- you are getting awesome results with David’s tutorials.

David – Thanks for your comments. The first one with the gigantic wide angle lens is awesome. The second is also nice.

A scene experimenting with a Hdri as a backdrop. I used Horo’s Simplon Hdri.

hdribackdrop2.jpg
    960 x 480 - 93K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo, a picture taken at Cadwell Park during the dinnertime break. Here's another GWL mashup.

Thought it has the looks of a car engine. New one is very nice with the geometric grid and the light chains.

@mermaid010 - oh, that fits nicely. Difficult to tell where the objects end and the backdrop begins. Indeed, I was fooled at first. You've set this up very clever.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Love the object, and the blue tile(?) ground material. One thing I noticed is the front of the object appears to be slightly above the ground, though I'd guess the back of the object is setting on the ground. Still, it looks nice. The landscape is really super, it has a real 3D look to it.

@DangerLad: Really like the color you used on those objects, and your results.

@David: Those lens images are nifty looking.

edited December 1969

Thank you all for the comments on the glass trials.

Yesterday and today I have been playing at true night scenes. These images are based on David's tutorial for including Bryce Star fields in the background (at least I think David did a video on this, could be wrong). I am include three shots, all of which are the same landscape. The first one was rendered using the basic Bryce render engine. The second one is using TA rendering and I increase the lighting proved by the LDR background. The last one I took the land and water from the second picture and merged it with just the star field (with no haze effect) in my image processing program (GIMP to be exact).

Personally I think the first one is too dark. The second is a little better but I prefer the third one as you are able to see more of the stars in the background;

StarryNight3Modified.jpg
    1400 x 700 - 608K
    StarryNight3.jpg
    1400 x 700 - 436K
    StarryNight.jpg
    1400 x 700 - 381K
    edited October 2013

@Dangerlad - nice night sky renders. If your aim was a natural looking scene, I'm not convinced. I've never seen such a blue sky without haze around the horizon, not even from our observatory on the Simplon at 2000 m (6560 ft) in January at -18°C (-0.4°F) at midnight. A bit of haze always lingers around the horizon and the sky is black and the mountains as well. In fact, the mountains can be made out only by the absence of stars. By the way, do you recognise the constellations? The Plejades (M45) in Taurus are quite prominent, left of Taurus Gemini.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited October 2013

Here is FunkyShape 507 with FunkyMetal 505 converted to glass (thanks David for the video), without bump, and lit with the specular convolved Anteroom HDRI. Well, lit is the wrong word since there is no diffuse. A tad of ambience was used and in the centre of the object is a radial with negative red specularity and quadratic falloff. This radial is responsible for the blue. Max ray depth is at 8 and max TIR at 4. There was the issue with fireflies that could only be removed by setting the AA-rays to 12, increasing AA-radius to 1.15 also had a good effect, would have been faster, but the whole object appeared a bit blurred.

The final render was exported as 48-bit TIFF and multiplied by itself to boost the contrast, then color corrected to enhance vibrance, and finally tone-mapped with a logarithmic operator.

DShape507.jpg
    900 x 900 - 204K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Great works/renders/experiments...ALL. Haven't posted in a while - animation is my Bryce thingy, sort of.

And as for the upcoming eclipse you're all talking about (what...who...where...when...;) )...well, who needs to see these silly amazing things, when we have Bryce to show us...hahaaa (David's starry vid came in handy).

Jay

LunarEclipse-Oct-2013.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 176K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Thanks all for the comments about Peter the Polar Bear.
    Work is mostly keeping me away at the moment but I do try and keep up with the posts and there's a still a good constant stream of excellent renders from everyone.

More now from Peter the Polar Bear.
    Cogs are now in motion to try and sell these to a greeting card publisher and although the deal won't be done this year... I'm hopeful that you'll see Peter the Polar Bear in the shops by Christmas 2014. :)

LowFlyingDeer.jpg
    450 x 650 - 180K
    NorthPole.jpg
    450 x 650 - 169K
    SleepTent.jpg
    650 x 450 - 144K
    PeterDeer.jpg
    650 x 450 - 144K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Dave; That is really great news about Peter !!!!

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited December 1969

Thanks all for the comments about Peter the Polar Bear.
    Work is mostly keeping me away at the moment but I do try and keep up with the posts and there's a still a good constant stream of excellent renders from everyone.

More now from Peter the Polar Bear.
    Cogs are now in motion to try and sell these to a greeting card publisher and although the deal won't be done this year... I'm hopeful that you'll see Peter the Polar Bear in the shops by Christmas 2014. :)

Beautiful renders! These really are wonderful. Best of luck I hope you get a publishing deal.

edited October 2013

@TheSavage64, I agree that the polar bear pictures are quite good. At some point I may start using objects imported from DAZ Studio. Until then more landscapes and still-life's.

Here is another attempt at a night scene. In my eye it's okay but it not exactly what I'm envisioning. I was aiming for a lake scene on a cloudless night around midnight with a new moon in the sky (but outside the field of view.).

The beach terrain in the background is a bit too bright for the scene in my thinking. The global ambiance is set to fully black and I turned off any ambient response in the beach material. The sun is at altitude -90 and the sun's diffuse output is at 50. I have a radial light lighting the foreground as though someone was holding a flashlight just to the side of the camera. I wanted the water to have a slight bit of anisotropy to it but I don't really see the effect. The scene was rendered using Super quality mode.

I would love to be in a place that offers a view similar to this picture, but being in the Mid Atlantic region of the USA the night sky suffers too much light pollution.

Black_starry_Sky.jpg
    1400 x 700 - 354K
    Post edited by Dangerlad on
    edited December 1969

Now some still-life's.

The object in all three pictures is the some, I just modified the materials. The object itself is a little doodle I made in Wings3D from a dodecahedron. I rendered each with TA (16rpp) via Obscure lighting and used Horo's Treppenhalle2 specular convolved HDR as a background

Picture 1 is the object with the Bryce default grey.
    Picture 2 is an attempt at Glass using David's glass tutorial again. I think I got it right, but I was making the changes to the material from memory.
    Picture 3 is an attempt at MetalGlass or GlassyMetal, via David's Funky Metal to Funky Glass tutorial. I don't think I got the material to look like glass but it may have been the material I started from. I started with the Copper, Old material from the Treppenhalle2 material set (I think it was Treppenhalle2, I have it listed as P41 Metals in my material list).

Banded_Dodecahedron_GlassMetal.jpg
    700 x 700 - 540K
    Banded_Dodecahedron_Glass.jpg
    700 x 700 - 586K
    Banded_Dodecahedron_Basic_Grey.jpg
    700 x 700 - 533K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Well I would buy Peter the Polar bear chrissie cards.

In the meantime I am trying for sunrise, not sure if I got there.

Autumn_sunrise_over_the_valley.jpg
    675 x 900 - 520K
    edited October 2013

Beautiful image Pam, the overall light looks good but a bit of direct light somewhere can often give things a bit more focus.

Well done Dangerlad, your experiments look good to me.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Dave, it would be great to see your cards in print.

Horo, that glass looks as good as anything Octane could do. Really convincing.

Here's what I've been tinkering with. Not sunrise, but sunset in the "Magic hour".

Edit: oop sorry, Mermaid, missed your post... looking good, nice to see you working with HDRI.

Magic_hour1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 426K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited October 2013

@Jamahoney - very nice scene thought I remember the moon rather yellowish and less red when eclipsed. But that depends a lot of where you are. I like your rendition of a Lunar Eclipse very much.

@Dave - it's difficult not being a fan of your Peter the Polar Bear. I do hope you can sell them as Xmas cards. The snow flakes are excellent. No need to worry about that real snowflakes aren't round. They fit each of the scenes as they are perfectly.

@Dangerlad - I like this night shot much more than the previous ones. I don't think the near isle is too bright. It might be the light of the room we're in looking out.

The shapes came out nicely. Getting them glassy is not always easy. I think the second one is best in this respect.

@Pam - that's a very nice scene, looks almost like a painting.

@David - great scene. Looks simple enough but you've got the colours really great. Very plausible. -- And thanks for the glass comment. I thought it a bit busy.

Post edited by Horo on
This discussion has been closed.