Carrara Challenge 41: The Super, Legendary, Epic Render Challenge!

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited July 2018

Been working on my scene. It is not progressing as well or as fast as I had hoped. It can be frustrating when you have a clear vision of what you want, but have a difficult time executing it.

test.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 721K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499
    edited July 2018

I may not get this done in time, but...

Dynamic hair blast  Converted it with philoemo's plugin to add a glow/aura

Capture.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 404K
    Capture2.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 420K
    Post edited by VIArts on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Great idea for the blast force.  Hope you get time to finish because the start looks cool.  

- EP, sorry about your frustration, I know what you mean.  So, I take it we are NOT going to be treated with a clip from a 1970s perfume commercial?  You already have the key elements of Chanel #5, Share the Fantasy.  Meant as an exceptionally high compliment, as that was reportedly a very successful campaign.

Diomede said:

Great idea for the blast force.  Hope you get time to finish because the start looks cool.  

- EP, sorry about your frustration, I know what you mean.  So, I take it we are NOT going to be treated with a clip from a 1970s perfume commercial?  You already have the key elements of Chanel #5, Share the Fantasy.  Meant as an exceptionally high compliment, as that was reportedly a very successful campaign.

Not unless Chanel had a Land of the Lost type camaign.

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,411

This is not an entry, only and old example of use of dynamic hair

Tha falls are hair.

https://www.deviantart.com/alvin-bemar/art/Veils-Falls-Cataratas-de-los-Velos-679781688

edited July 2018

@Alberto - wow, that is an amazing waterfall.  The rainbow is a great detail.  Beautiful.

I started over and made a new metaball monster to attack Tokyo, or wherever.  Perhaps the best name for this one is Chickenzilla.  My question about permission to convert from metaball to vertex object turns out to be academic.  When you apply Carrara rigging to a metaball object, Carrara automatcally converts it to a vertex object.

metachicken 1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 15K
    metachicken 2.JPG
    1804 x 1016 - 119K
    metachicken 4.JPG
    1863 x 981 - 116K
    metachicken 3.JPG
    1697 x 1019 - 148K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on

Thanks - it is all funny until the rubber-suited monster knocks over some buildings and blasts some little toy tanks.  But time is ticking.  Hope I get my projects finished and entered.

Diomede said:

@Alberto - wow, that is an amazing waterfall.  The rainbow is a great detail.  Beautiful.

Thank you!

Diomede said:

I started over and made a new metaball monster to attack Tokyo, or wherever.  Perhaps the best name for this one is Chickenzilla. 

Very Dangerous! He can grow quickly by absorbing metaballs!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited July 2018

Chickenzilla Metaballs..... sounds like a cool snack to munch on whilst rendering with a coffee

Here is an Epic render seeing the blood moon thingy is on this Saturday..

I could say the moon and earth were modelled from metaballs... but they weren't.. I could also say that the flame from the Interceptor was a clump of Carrara hairs but they're not...

I guess nothing qualifies this image ...... but I'll stick it here anyways... and over in the music thread in the art studio board.. cool

Post edited by Stezza on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    Diomede said:

I started over and made a new metaball monster to attack Tokyo, or wherever.  Perhaps the best name for this one is Chickenzilla.  My question about permission to convert from metaball to vertex object turns out to be academic.  When you apply Carrara rigging to a metaball object, Carrara automatcally converts it to a vertex object.

chickenzilla - that's so sick ;) ! (means 'is good')

Alberto said:

Tha falls are hair.

https://www.deviantart.com/alvin-bemar/art/Veils-Falls-Cataratas-de-los-Velos-679781688

rterrific - I was mucking roun last night with hair as falls oddly enough - and failed miserably! great realisation :)

Been working on my scene. It is not progressing as well or as fast as I had hoped. It can be frustrating when you have a clear vision of what you want, but have a difficult time executing it.

Looks like a second life set - be careful - bimboes will want to dance :)

edited July 2018
    Stezza said:

Chickenzilla Metaballs..... sounds like a cool snack to munch on whilst rendering with a coffee

Here is an Epic render seeing the blood moon thingy is on this Saturday..

I could say the moon and earth were modelled from metaballs... but they weren't.. I could also say that the flame from the Interceptor was a clump of Carrara hairs but they're not...

I guess nothing qualifies this image ...... but I'll stick it here anyways... and over in the music thread in the art studio board.. cool

eclipse should be amazing - but now I have seen it I can stay in bed ;) nice render stezza

Terrific renders so far.  This will be another tough Challenge to judge.

head wax said:

Just sensational, HW.  It is such a great whole, that I am finding it difficult to parse why I like it so much.

As someone on this forum occasionally says, "You got the job!"

thank you UB :)

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited July 2018

Never one to let a good render stop me screwing around... this is a combo of shadow pass, volumetric pass, toon pro pass. I used a depth pass to screen the background to set the figure a little forward - the volumetric pass enhanced the streaks (hairs)

I also used a set of filters in photoshop passed on/revealed  by the Cypriot lecturer Tasos Anastasiades  in his Poser Webinar. He is Assistant Professor of Graphic Design at European University Cyprus

I highly recommend watching his work on facebook. 

Some settings seen in attachments. 

For the post work I also used Waterlogue, Filter Forge (in very small increments) and Nik filters

Ironically the ToonPro render couldnt have stood by itself.

manrunning1toonproNEW-HDR.jpg
    2000 x 2500 - 3M
    Untitled-1.jpg
    1936 x 1400 - 2M
    Untitled-2.jpg
    2238 x 1027 - 1005K
    edited July 2018

Oh here's the Jack in the box finished. Used Eric's brilliant wireframe he just realeased for free. Thank you!

Cant wait to play with the rest

A little oversharpned on the front part - not to worry.

jackinbox1.jpg
    1422 x 2000 - 3M
    Untitled-JACK.jpg
    2280 x 1279 - 892K
    edited July 2018

Thanks for the comments on Chickenzilla, Alvin, Headwax and Stezza.  

@Headwax, the latest jack in the box is epic.  Always amazed at the ways you combine all the elements Carrara makes available to us.

I swapped out my Captain Sunburn entry.  Here is the latest.  Changed the camera angle (meant losing the villain, but OK with that).  Titles and logo added in PSE.

Captain Sunburn 2a composite entry.jpg
    2000 x 2667 - 2M

@Selina, I saw that your entries were withdrawn.  Hope it is just for last minute updates.  They are excellent.

Love that new angle Diomede!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    Diomede said:

@Selina, I saw that your entries were withdrawn.  Hope it is just for last minute updates.  They are excellent.

+1 on that.. yes

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

Death inb the fam. can't get my scene done in time...

Oh. My sincere condolences.

Diomede said:

Thanks for the comments on Chickenzilla, Alvin, Headwax and Stezza.  

@Headwax, the latest jack in the box is epic.  Always amazed at the ways you combine all the elements Carrara makes available to us.

I swapped out my Captain Sunburn entry.  Here is the latest.  Changed the camera angle (meant losing the villain, but OK with that).  Titles and logo added in PSE.

thank you. This has a wonderful pallette - very 60's feel with the colour chords.

Stezza said:
    Diomede said:

+1 on that.. yes

Plus Three. :(

I'm so sorry. You have my condolences. Take care of yourself and your loved ones.

Diomede said:

Yes @Selina, please enter! Your work was really great!

edited July 2018

The more I work on the scene, the more it is not going where I want it to go, so I am shelving it for now. I have another purpose in mind for it at a later date. I need to take a step back from it, and look at it with new eyes later.

So, I also had another idea I was going to do (as I had not anticipated wasting my time with the other scene). This one is an homage to Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. I love the asteroid field scene, and I wanted to do my take on it. I used four different metaball objects for the asteroids. I did not convert them to vertex objects. They are still editable as metaballs.

Falcon sample.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 490K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,119

evilproducer : Very well done_cool

edited July 2018

Thanks for the nice comments EP and HeadWax.  I do prefer the new camera angle and the changes to the color palette, so I am much happier with Captain Sunburn now. Might go back and use the shadow pass and other multipass elements to adjust the eyes, might not.  Similarly, the shadow on the back wall is distracting me.  Suggestions welcome, as always.

Last minute revision foiled!

Was considering revising my ancient landscape/city project to reference an ancient epic story, maybe a very ancient epic like Gilgamesh.  In my research, I came across something called the Epic of Kumarbi, a story dating back to 1300 BC that I had never heard of before.  Naturally, I delved in to learn more.  This is a key summary of the tale.
                     - When Anu tried to escape, Kumarbi bit off his genitals and spat out three new gods.

Somehow, I don't think I can get that story through the forum TOS.  surprise

Excellent Star Wars scene, EP.  Worthy of the super and legendary Kixum!

Condolences, LightOfHeaven.  Wishing for you and your family.

Sorry for your loss. Rest in peace.

The more I work on the scene, the more it is not going where I want it to go, so I am shelving it for now. I have another purpose in mind for it at a later date. I need to take a step back from it, and look at it with new eyes later.

So, I also had another idea I was going to do (as I had not anticipated wasting my time with the other scene). This one is an homage to Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. I love the asteroid field scene, and I wanted to do my take on it. I used four different metaball objects for the asteroids. I did not convert them to vertex objects. They are still editable as metaballs.

It's good you can't compite, nor an artist can win in more the one category... because you could have won all the prizes! surprise

head wax said:
    Alberto said:

Tha falls are hair.

rterrific - I was mucking roun last night with hair as falls oddly enough - and failed miserably! great realisation :)

Thank you! I used multipass rendering and latter used the volume primitive pass to do gaussian blur (more in Y than in X).