Carrara Challenge 41: The Super, Legendary, Epic Render Challenge!

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2018

I can't seem to get my moon to show in a render. it shows light reflected on fthe water. but no big, glowing, half-eaten cookie in the sky.

Skylight is on in render settings.

RSE, Night is checked. Sfow the moon is checked, clouds are off.

Moon light at 5 to 20 degree angle

Can you see the moon in your assemble room?  

- with realistic sky enabled in the scene atmosphere, I inserted a moonlight fron the light menu

- I checked the night box in the realistic sky editor

- in the assembly room, I rotated the moon light icon until the moon icon appeared on the working box within my production frame.

aa01b moon icon in workig box.jpg
    1902 x 1039 - 377K
    aa04b moon upper edge produciton frame.jpg
    640 x 480 - 27K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited July 2018

- Haha - one thing abut going through the thread in order is that I see that I double posted what Stezza posted.  blush

- Thank you for your comments on mine, everyone.  I'd reply to each, but I think I should just go clear the cobwebs out of my head and back to sleep.

EDIT: OK, I quadruple posted what Selina, Bunyip, and Stezza posted.  blushblush Good night.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited July 2018

It was the first time I tried metaballs in Carrara. I can't say I liked it. The topology turns out bad. Anyway, here is the result.

2018-07-12_1054_001.png
    1042 x 835 - 146K
    2018-07-12_1055.png
    834 x 841 - 152K
    2018-07-12_1059.png
    1079 x 811 - 207K
    2018-07-12_1100.png
    1028 x 833 - 299K
    2018-07-12_1102.png
    993 x 822 - 311K
    2018-07-12_1114.png
    1024 x 833 - 295K
    2018-07-12_1206.png
    976 x 846 - 259K
    Doc2.png
    1000 x 1081 - 442K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

Sorry I haven't posted much today. Been really spotty for my internet connection due to storms (and more specifically lightning) causing connection issues.

Bunyip, your work looks really good.

LightofHeaven, if you use the night setting in the RSE, but the sky looks to dark, you can also add a color, color gradient, hdri,or image map to the scene's Background. It will appear behing the atmosphere, and also contribute as a light source if you enable Skylight in the render room. Don't forget to also enable Light Through Transparancy in the Global Illumination settings, as well as in the regular render settings.

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499
    Selina said:
    Bunyip02 said:

I don't know what Selina's settings were but [] here are mine, I do not check the Night - but decrease Global Brightness in the atmosphere to 1%.

Default Scene looks in the North West position so I moved the moon to the NW position and adjusted from being high in the sky down towards the horizion. Adjust Aura/Phase/Tilt to suit. If you rotated your scene you may need to move the moon around the horizion until it shows up.

Thanks Bunyip02,

I attach my settings for all to improve upon wink

Selina

Finally found my moon last noght. Thanks guys.

Selina, I'm not clear. Are you usng a plugin for that super glowy effect?

edited July 2018

Test/QIP:

Added my legendary bit.

Doc2.jpg
    1067 x 800 - 49K
    Post edited by VIArts on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
    edited July 2018

@LightofHeaven, did you also have a moonlight in your scene? It will illuminate like distance light, except that is linked to the RSE for both positiion and color. For instance, in your render, if you were to do as Selina did, and enable a lens flare, the origin would be the moon disk, as that is where the moon light is originating. In the RSE you can also define the moon's aura and the aura color.

Post edited by evilproducer on

I have a moonlight in there, yes. I'm just sort of new to this le s flareystuff. lol. i think i have presets i can look at to get an idea

edited July 2018

If you want more control of your moon, you can always insert a simple disc and map an image of the moon on it.  Place the image in the glow channel as well.  Then use the effects tab to get your aura.

NASA has convenient pic or two.  https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/40th/images/apollo_image_25.html

For one project, I also created a ring around my moon disc so I could play with the aura even more.

bb01 moon disc.JPG
    1372 x 873 - 96K
    bb02 b hader tree alpha channel.JPG
    1317 x 795 - 93K
    bb02 c effects aura play around.JPG
    1479 x 852 - 119K
    bb02 moon ring.JPG
    1047 x 941 - 79K

Great idea Diomede!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited July 2018

My WiP for Georgio scene..

GeorgioWiP.jpg
    1500 x 2122 - 592K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Awsone work Stezza! Nice use of hair and metaballs!

edited July 2018

I've taken a U-turn and am working on a concept that may turn out to be a complete environment.

A little background here. Ever since I was a little kid, I've always loved Ray Harryhausen, Land of the Lost, stories about ancient ruins and lost cities. I used to gobble up the National Geographics issues that covered archeological digs, and especially their artist conceptions of what they were like- particularly their ancient city or temple reconstructions.

I am also probably one of the few people that actually liked the film Congo. I liked the book, and the movie, even though the movie didn't get a lot of the book right. The one thing it did get right about the book was the feel of the lost city of Zinj. The feeling of wonder, danger, and mystery were captured very well in Tim Curry's description and story about it, and then in the depiction of city when they finally arrived. My only complaint is that I wished they had spent more time there before blowing it up. The book did a good job with that too.

Anyway, I will upload screen shots of my intitial terrain of the city and mine complex, and the base of the main temple/palace. There will be elements of a previous entry for a past render challenge, but I want to refine it and make it more sophisticated and epic in scale. For reference, here is the image I did for a past challenge.

The father's legacy.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 451K
    Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 10.08.42 PM.png
    3514 x 1768 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 10.09.23 PM.png
    3514 x 1774 - 2M

Well...I kicked my render settings into the sky...

So..;it's rendering...

edited July 2018

I called it “Bone-Tree Planet”. I used hair on my metaball trees instead of leaves. The terrain is also metaball creation converted to vertex object with some geometry cleaning. Procedural shaders were used on both. Carrara native render.

BoneTrees.jpg
    1300 x 1040 - 2M
    2018-07-14_0937.png
    976 x 825 - 218K
    2018-07-14_0938.png
    1231 x 807 - 232K
    2018-07-14_0940.png
    924 x 751 - 582K
    2018-07-14_1122.png
    1226 x 884 - 906K
    Post edited by Vyusur on

@Vyusur: Very cool! A really nice effect with that hair. I bet with the right setting a nice Spanish moss would be possible.

edited July 2018

Thank you, EP! I kept in mind Spanish moss when doing hair on the trees, but on an alien manner.

Post edited by Vyusur on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

@Vyusur: Very cool! A really nice effect with that hair. I bet with the right setting a nice Spanish moss would be possible.

+1 yes

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Vyusur said:

I called it “Bone-Tree Planet”. I used hair on my metaball trees instead of leaves. The terrain is also metaball creation converted to vertex object with some geometry cleaning. Procedural shaders were used on both. Carrara native render.

Compelling composition, nicely done!

UB, thank you very much!

I let it render just this much at high settings to see how it'd look. Not satisfied.

I can't find a way to get rid of that big black strip in the backgroumd. Show ground isn't checked.

Capture4.PNG
    1677 x 1039 - 557K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

In the atmosphere tab your realistic sky try a large negative number in the Horizon Altitude... it may take a few goes to get it.. just do a part test render to see the results.. put your lighting/render settings to a low value whilst testing so not to wait ages for the test render to render it.. yes

edited July 2018

Your settings are very high. I don't think there will be much of a visual difference between "good" values and "best" values. Not enough to justify the additional render time at any rate.

The Best values won't get rid of that line anyway. It is the horizon line at night, and since the ocean doesn't go to the horizon, it will remain visible. What you could do is place an ininite plane very slightly below the ocean, add a water shader to the infinite plane, and it will extend to the horizon. You may need to extend the main ocean a bit further out to hide where it ends. Other ways to hide the black strip include adding fog in the RSE and adjusting its color, intensity, altitude, etc. You could also increase the haze and haze altitude and intensity and kind of do an atmospheric forced perspective and edit the fields that say 1.00 Mi in the scene equals 1.00 Mi and change it to 1.00 Mi equals 10.00 Mi.

I'll attach some screen shots and the water shader I made for my example. It is basically a modified version of one that came with Carrara. I applied it to both the infinite plane and the replicated ocean.

zip
    zip
    Ocean turbwatercomplex.cbr.zip
    Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 10.18.44 PM.png
    2114 x 2008 - 835K
    Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 10.22.08 PM.png
    3518 x 1782 - 219K
    Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 10.20.53 PM.png
    4070 x 2250 - 3M
    Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 10.33.02 PM.png
    1886 x 1660 - 577K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Epic ocean/moon scene example there, EP.  Also, very helpful instructions and screenshots, thanks!

Insane what this software can do.

I've been busy today, but I have managed to get a bit more done with my scene. I'm in the process of building a temple/palace. I will have to take a couple pillars and break them apart to sell the ruins aspect. I still need to work on the roof. After that, I will build some more ruins, but I may build them on little terrain islands so that I can duplicate and rotate them and place them wherever it is aesthetically pleasing, I also want to paint certain areas of the main terrain to suggest old stone pavers and such pealing out from the (eventual) jungle floor. I think I will also attempt a crumbling reflecting pool. It is ambitious, so we'll see how far I get before the challenge ends.

Oh, I built the steps out of a gradient image map applied to a terrain with the terrace filter, height filter and erosion filter. I then modified the Tapui Terrain texture that came with Carrara to get the even more weathered look.

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 12.31.12 AM.png
    4028 x 1776 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 12.31.55 AM.png
    4026 x 1774 - 3M
    edited July 2018

lol. I only set it up high for fun while i slept and to test and glimpse how it'd look, but thanks for the info on he good-best settings. i've knocked it back down. Here's my latest render.

Doc2.jpg
    1067 x 800 - 44K
    Post edited by VIArts on

Looking good! Just a suggestion to make the kraken stand out a bit more. Add a light such as a shape light or a spot light and place it so it is next to the ship and aiming at the kraken. Set the light so that it only illuminates the kraken, and then adjust the color to match the light cast from the ship. Set a short range and a high falloff, and a lowish brightness. The light would illuminate the nearest tentacles and fade out quickly to keep the rest of the monster in shadows. I would also use soft shadows with the light to suggest a more diffuse light such as the light cast from the myriad ship lights. Again, this is only a suggestion. It is a great and imaginative scene!

I haven't got fhse best eyesight in the world,  but i get what you mean and i'm trying. lol

Capture2.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 1M