Carrara Challenge 41: The Super, Legendary, Epic Render Challenge!

Comments

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    Selina said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Just a quickie using Realistic Seas.

Like your night sea Bunyip02, here's mine...

Selina's Sea

Selina

Very nice Selina, the moon effect is great !!!

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited July 2018

Metaball power blast coming up. Made a spiky metaball - refer screenshot for settings.

Also added a plane with plasma effect pngs as a force shield.

Finally added some flames to the rockets on the combined helicopter/jetpack.

Super StemPunker 2 Carrara metaball.png
    2272 x 1033 - 225K
    Super StemPunker 2 Carrara.png
    2270 x 1042 - 769K
    Super StemPunker 2b Carrara.png
    2270 x 1037 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2018

Quick WIP update now, Comments for everyone soon after.

Captain Sunburn and Tomato Boy remain in hairy peril.  As per a great suggestion by DesertDude, Captain Sunburn now has a logo on his chest.  This uses two filters in the Carrara scene tab, one GMIC comix color and then Carrara's native toon renderer. I've turned down the toon effect settings to 50% or less. Unfortunatley, I forgot that the native toon filter doesn't handle hair well.  That is why the comic line for the edge of the back wall can be seen through the hair spikes.

wip update captain sunburn.jpg
    1600 x 2133 - 283K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

Wow everybody! Great work so far!

Sorry I haven't commented directly yet. I'm dealing with an issue with my community theatre right now, and it has put me in a bit a mood. Venue problems for the show I am slated to direct this fall. Grrrr...!

@Bunyip - you have been very busy!  Hard to keep up the pace.  Great work.  The metaball power blast is very convincing.  If I was going to offer one suggestion, it would be to have something that indicates direction, like a trailing part or maybe the center piece could indicate direction.  Ignore me if I'm not taking into account stuff because it is just a screenshot.  Your creature project might be my favorite.  You have a gift for the critters.  I've got a butterfly net prop/figure designed for dForce, but if I can get it to work in Carrara I'll see if one of my toonies can help with the alien roundup.

@Selina, excellent moonlit ocean.  Is that the realistic sky moon or your own?  I generally insert a disc and map a NASA moon pic in the diffuse and glow channels.  Really like yours.

@Light of Heaven - RE: your issue with lighting the ship.,  Maybe the ship's own deck lights etc might help?  Just a thought.  Off topic, my morning walk took me past our local Titanic Memorial.  Still poignant.

@EvilProducer - I think I'd want to softe some of those pointy edges on the bodice, but definitely SUPER.

@Stezza - ancient aliens is brilliant!  Hits all three themes.  I've heard the ancient aliens appear on the walls of Mayan pyramids flying in, you guessed it..., balloons!

@Headwax - what do you mean jack in the box is not really epic?  I beg to differ.  It combines fear of clowns with classic fea/surprise.  I'd ad a hockey mask and a chainsaw, but that is just me.  wink

Keep going, everyone.  Always a joy to check in the forums and see more than a dozen updates to my favorite threads.

Wow everybody! Great work so far!

Sorry I haven't commented directly yet. I'm dealing with an issue with my community theatre right now, and it has put me in a bit a mood. Venue problems for the show I am slated to direct this fall. Grrrr...!

Hey, EP - The Show Must Go On.  Break a Leg.  All those things.  Hope everything works out for you.

edited July 2018

@EvilProducer -  Rules question, but no hurry.  If we are using hair to satisfy the challenge requirements, are we allowed to use Philemo's plugin to convert it to an obj?  That would be one way for me to use the Carrara native toon render with my spike hairs.

EDIT:  Question 2 - Similar issue - can we convert our metaball objects to vertex objects?  For example, I can't use Carrara's 3D paint directly on my metaball Ultraman monster unless I convert him.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

epic @diomede ... yes

all I got to show is Georgio ... with metaball balloons, prolific use of Carrara hair and a discovery of Ancient Aliens! 

Diomede said:

@EvilProducer -  Rules question, but no hurry.  If we are using hair to satisfy the challenge requirements, are we allowed to use Philemo's plugin to convert it to an obj?  That would be one way for me to use the Carrara native toon render with my spike hairs.

EDIT:  Question 2 - Similar issue - can we convert our metaball objects to vertex objects?  For example, I can't use Carrara's 3D paint directly on my metaball Ultraman monster unless I convert him.

mmm good question I guess...

with my meatball balloons I converted them to a vertex object for some shape editing.. so if we gang up on him..... eeeeek! heart

for the first question I reckon so
    6) Plugins are allowed. If you do use a plugin, please let us know how you used it in the WIP thread.

but we shall wait for an official answer from the Wiley Wizard of Wisconsin 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    Diomede said:

Quick WIP update now, Comments for everyone soon after.

Captain Sunburn and Tomato Boy remain in hairy peril.  As per a great suggestion by DesertDude, Captain Sunburn now has a logo on his chest.  This uses two filters in the Carrara scene tab, one GMIC comix color and then Carrara's native toon renderer. I've turned down the toon effect settings to 50% or less. Unfortunatley, I forgot that the native toon filter doesn't handle hair well.  That is why the comic line for the edge of the back wall can be seen through the hair spikes.

wow this is seriously good - wonderful effect straight out of a comic book!!! - you got the job! 

Bunyip02 said:

Metaball power blast coming up. Made a spiky metaball - refer screenshot for settings.

love this effect and thecreative glowing meatballs - didn't know thay had a spike modifier in built~!!

Selina said:
    head wax said:

Sorry quick visit ...

Interesting use of metaballs for vomit around the 'jack'

thanks I forgot to mention the metaballs - I used partcle thingo with a spring as the emitter - spring from Carrara objs folder!

Selina said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Selina's Sea

Selina

loveley glow, and a touch of surrealism - nice combo!

Bunyip02 said:

Raw render

Postwork setup

After Postwork is done.

that's a humdinger Bunyip02 - you are getting better and better - it's almost beautifiul - in an alien way!

You can probably see where I'm headed with this. I'm using the V4 Super Suit (or is it Body Suit?), and I am in the preliminary stages of painting it. I tried Carrara's 3D paint tool and it wasn't accurate enough for this stage. I may try it later. Right now, I'm using Affinity Photo and the exported UV map as my template.. So far it is just the bold colors and dark lines to define the shapes on the eagle. Next it will be the bold lines on the body of the suit. After that, I will try and paint in details and shading. This is the first time I have really gone all out and painted a clothing texture. Usually I prefer to use procesurals.

well from the results I think you should do it more - I reckon you would look good in this top too ! :)

Mostly camera work today. A lirtle shading. No lights yet lol

And yeah, I have my makeshift framing grid on. lol

terrific effect on the ice - looks like an illustration from an tv animation

Mistara said:
    Diomede said:

Stezza said:

epic @diomede ... yes

all I got to show is Georgio ... with metaball balloons, prolific use of Carrara hair and a discovery of Ancient Aliens! 

ha ha great job on the scary columns!!!

Diomede said:

Here are some more Lo Res folks to make the city feel lived in.  Intended to be replicated in the distance.  For those of you who have watched PhilW's advanced tutorials, this approach to city populations should look familar, but with an ancient twist.

Base Lo Res

Some variations.

love these variations - remind me of things you get incereal packets - did you ever see the old carrara artists who made his characters out of boxes ??? they were wonderful - now if onli I could find a link to the wqrk

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

UPDATE: I'm still alive on the Titanc.People are getting mad at me bsecause I keep mkessng with.... omg, what was that? Felt like something hit ths ship. I better have a look outside.

edited March 2021

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    Diomede said:

Go for it! Feel free to convert the hair and metaball. It might be cool if you showed us how to use the controls in Philemo's plugin. Not a manual or anything, but maybe a screen shot or two of any parameters or whatever.

We decided to cancel the fall show, so now I don't have to worry about setting up auditions, putting together a crew, setting up a rehearsal calendar, etc. I'm still not pleased, but it will free up a lot more time for me, especially as this challenge ramps up.

I can't seem to get my moon to show in a render. it shows light reflected on fthe water. but no big, glowing, half-eaten cookie in the sky.

Skylight is on in render settings.

RSE, Night is checked. Sfow the moon is checked, clouds are off.

Moon light at 5 to 20 degree angle

edited July 2018

Screenie

i k ow its daaaaark

Capture3.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 993K
    Post edited by VIArts on
    edited July 2018

I can't seem to get my moon to show in a render. it shows light reflected on fthe water. but no big, glowing, half-eaten cookie in the sky.

Skylight is on in render settings.

RSE, Night is checked. Sfow the moon is checked, clouds are off.

Moon light at 5 to 20 degree angle

I don't know what Selina's settings were but they are excellent. Here are mine, I do not check the Night - but decrease Global Brightness in the atmosphere to 1%.

Default Scene looks in the North West position so I moved the moon to the NW position and adjusted from being high in the sky down towards the horizion. Adjust Aura/Phase/Tilt to suit. If you rotated your scene you may need to move the moon around the horizion until it shows up.

If I need an object to show up more I add a spotlight but have the light setting for only that object.

Moon 2.png
    2272 x 1040 - 1M
    Moon 1.png
    2270 x 1040 - 697K
    Ship spotlight 1b.png
    2272 x 1040 - 3M
    Selina said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Such a fun piece 'MIB' - shouldn't that be WIJ (Women in Jeans!) laugh

Thanks Selina, was trying to keep the fun from the movies in the scene. Maybe WIJ could be made as a seperate movie - hope you copyrighted it.

Selina said:

Fantastic creature Bunny...

Looking forward to you finishing this one too...

Thanks Selina.

Critter in the first one is the excellent Seasectoid https://www.daz3d.com/seasectoid-creature

Refer this for the Carrara workaround https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3753646/#Comment_3753646

Planet is the https://www.daz3d.com/planet-selena

I thought the two items would go together extremely well, which they did. Added the post-work to get some extra oomf out of the colours.

Second critter is Genesis with a combination of over 20 morphs. Skin is the M3 Demon Skinz converted to M4 with Texture Converter 2 https://www.daz3d.com/demon-skinz

Diomede said:

@Bunyip - you have been very busy!  Hard to keep up the pace.  Great work.  The metaball power blast is very convincing.  If I was going to offer one suggestion, it would be to have something that indicates direction, like a trailing part or maybe the center piece could indicate direction.  Ignore me if I'm not taking into account stuff because it is just a screenshot.  Your creature project might be my favorite.  You have a gift for the critters.  I've got a butterfly net prop/figure designed for dForce, but if I can get it to work in Carrara I'll see if one of my toonies can help with the alien roundup.

@Selina, excellent moonlit ocean.  Is that the realistic sky moon or your own?  I generally insert a disc and map a NASA moon pic in the diffuse and glow channels.  Really like yours.

@Light of Heaven - RE: your issue with lighting the ship.,  Maybe the ship's own deck lights etc might help?  Just a thought.  Off topic, my morning walk took me past our local Titanic Memorial.  Still poignant.

@EvilProducer - I think I'd want to softe some of those pointy edges on the bodice, but definitely SUPER.

@Stezza - ancient aliens is brilliant!  Hits all three themes.  I've heard the ancient aliens appear on the walls of Mayan pyramids flying in, you guessed it..., balloons!

@Headwax - what do you mean jack in the box is not really epic?  I beg to differ.  It combines fear of clowns with classic fea/surprise.  I'd ad a hockey mask and a chainsaw, but that is just me.  wink

Keep going, everyone.  Always a joy to check in the forums and see more than a dozen updates to my favorite threads.

Thanks Diomede, metaball "propulsion" will be by post-work using Ron's Digital Energy brushes in PaintShopPro. Was thinking of adding them to a plane in Carrara, but doing pst-work in PSP allows for a bit more creative poetic licence to be used.

head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

love this effect and thecreative glowing meatballs - didn't know thay had a spike modifier in built~!!

Selina said:
    head wax said:

Sorry quick visit ...

Interesting use of metaballs for vomit around the 'jack'

thanks I forgot to mention the metaballs - I used partcle thingo with a spring as the emitter - spring from Carrara objs folder!

Thanks Headwax. The spike effect is interesting, especially when you experiment with shaders and effects.

head wax said:
    Selina said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Selina's Sea

Selina

loveley glow, and a touch of surrealism - nice combo!

Bunyip02 said:

Raw render

Postwork setup

After Postwork is done.

that's a humdinger Bunyip02 - you are getting better and better - it's almost beautifiul - in an alien way!

You can probably see where I'm headed with this. I'm using the V4 Super Suit (or is it Body Suit?), and I am in the preliminary stages of painting it. I tried Carrara's 3D paint tool and it wasn't accurate enough for this stage. I may try it later. Right now, I'm using Affinity Photo and the exported UV map as my template.. So far it is just the bold colors and dark lines to define the shapes on the eagle. Next it will be the bold lines on the body of the suit. After that, I will try and paint in details and shading. This is the first time I have really gone all out and painted a clothing texture. Usually I prefer to use procesurals.

well from the results I think you should do it more - I reckon you would look good in this top too ! :)

Mostly camera work today. A lirtle shading. No lights yet lol

And yeah, I have my makeshift framing grid on. lol

terrific effect on the ice - looks like an illustration from an tv animation

Thanks Headwax. I do a fair bit of trying different figures in different environments. I don't show the failures (unless you need a good laugh !!!!!!)

edited March 2021

Sky Settings.png
    1207 x 946 - 620K
    Sky Settings 2.png
    1207 x 946 - 429K
    edited July 2018

Metaball propulsion effect done, many thanks to Ron for his brushes. Also did a bit of work on the UV map joins on the monster which were showing quite a bit - still it's a good skin for M3.

Raw render

Post-work

Super StemPunker 2c render 1600.png
    1600 x 1029 - 2M
    Super StemPunker 2d render 1600.png
    1600 x 1029 - 2M
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited July 2018

just to add to the others...

if it hasn't been mentioned drop a moon light into the scene and you can locate it on the grid after selecting the moon in realistic atmosphere..

image to show..

moon show.png
    800 x 1274 - 580K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    Diomede said:

Go for it! Feel free to convert the hair and metaball. It might be cool if you showed us how to use the controls in Philemo's plugin. Not a manual or anything, but maybe a screen shot or two of any parameters or whatever.

We decided to cancel the fall show, so now I don't have to worry about setting up auditions, putting together a crew, setting up a rehearsal calendar, etc. I'm still not pleased, but it will free up a lot more time for me, especially as this challenge ramps up.

Thanks for the decision.  Yes, I'll be happy to post some info on my progress. - yes

Sorry about the fall show.