Carrara Challenge 41: The Super, Legendary, Epic Render Challenge!

Comments

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited July 2018

Everyone's work is so amazing, sorry I haven't been around to make comments yet...

LightofHeaven, I'm sorry for your loss. Hope you are surrounded by family and loved ones.

Hoping I can finish by the deadline tomorrow. I really flailed around for ideas. This was really inspired by a landscape photo, I wanted to try to create the same sense of light, but now that I started putting objects (well, just one so far) in the scene I may have to change the lighting and mood. 

The back mountains are made from a Terrain object, - just dialed in some mountains. The foreground was made using a custom height map made in an external app. The tornado thing is an entity from my paintings. It will have a central eye and be hurling a volley of flying forks at two hapless people fleeing for their lives. Plan on using some hair for close up grass and have an idea for an experiment using metaballs. Modeled the arm and the 'tornado' today. I also did a test render with post work, mainly the back mountains.

So much to do...

test_comp_001.jpg
    791 x 527 - 154K
    assembly_room_001.jpg
    790 x 531 - 55K
    height_map_002.jpg
    790 x 790 - 10K
    arm_model.jpg
    790 x 534 - 35K
    tornado_model_wip_001.jpg
    790 x 530 - 47K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    Diomede said:

Last minute revision foiled!

Was considering revising my ancient landscape/city project to reference an ancient epic story, maybe a very ancient epic like Gilgamesh.  In my research, I came across something called the Epic of Kumarbi, a story dating back to 1300 BC that I had never heard of before.  Naturally, I delved in to learn more.  This is a key summary of the tale.
                     - When Anu tried to escape, Kumarbi bit off his genitals and spat out three new gods.

Somehow, I don't think I can get that story through the forum TOS.  surprise

Yes. Might not pass the TOS! But that scene would be a great use of metaballs and hair! Bwahahahahaaaa!

So, the following screen caps show my lights and their settings. I Also used a volumetric cloud and a replicator.

Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 7.02.33 PM.png
    492 x 1068 - 78K
    Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 7.02.42 PM.png
    486 x 1084 - 89K
    Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 5.59.06 PM.png
    3518 x 1772 - 1M
    Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 7.02.12 PM.png
    4028 x 1768 - 737K
    Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 7.02.51 PM.png
    478 x 908 - 75K
    Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 7.02.59 PM.png
    508 x 920 - 77K
    Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 7.03.36 PM.png
    3488 x 1754 - 757K
    Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 7.05.08 PM.png
    3522 x 1776 - 233K

Just a reminder that tomorrow evening is the deadline for entering!

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

...and then the tough part begins -- judging.

...and then the tough part begins -- judging.

So very true!

edited July 2018

Here is the larger final version of my Falcon scene. I didn't do any postwork on it, except to knock the size down for the forum.

Falcon in asteroid field-small.jpg
    2200 x 1238 - 2M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,411

Here is the larger final version of my Falcon scene. I didn't do any postwork on it, except to knock the size down for the forum.

Fabulous! surprise

Like I said, better you cannot compete now !cheeky

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

LightofHeaven, I,m so sorry.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Death inb the fam. can't get my scene done in time...

LightofHeaven - Condolences to you and your family, take care.

Scene can wait for a better time.

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on

Thanks, everybody. I'm alright. just sucks i couldn't make it to Vegas with the huge family when it happened

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2018

last minutes - I am scrambling

since I'm not going to have an ancient near Eastern god bite the gentials off another god and spit out 3 new gods, I decided to use my terrain stream technique to create lava flows.  Here is a supervillain's volcanic island.  I made some hair and brushed it out of the volcano cone like smoke.  I applied a kink shader to the hair, converted it to vertex object with Philemo's plugin, ad then applied a blur in the effects tab to make the hair look like smoke.  The low res palm trees that I modeled are replicated on the island.

I think if I can get most of the shaders sorted out that this can be salvaged and submitted in time.

villainous volcanic island test 2.jpg
    2000 x 1200 - 221K
    villainous volcanic island test.jpg
    2000 x 1200 - 219K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Neat effect Diomede. Lowering the wave height may help with selling the scale of the island. Adding some atmospheric haze may help add depth to the image.

edited July 2018

Thanks, EP.  Great advice.  The sea/sky are a separate render from the island.  I reduced the sea terrain size in the replicator, reduced height, and added more noise.  Hopefully, that helped with the scale of the island.  I also increased the atmospheric haze scale and density, and added more red, but didn't get the desired effect when slotted as the background with the island.  Therefore, I also added some volumetric clouds behind the isand, which could also be steam from lava in the back of the island hitting the ocean.  Not sure about depth.

As always, more suggestions welcome.

Meanwhile, I'll see if I can crank up a chickenzilla render while I take a closer look at villainous island.  Maybe the volcanic island needs a superspy escaping the island toward the camera?

islans on fire 3d.png
    2000 x 1200 - 2M
    edited July 2018

Latest version.  It is final unless I add a superspy racing away from the island toward the camera.

volcano lair composite 222b.jpg
    2000 x 1200 - 1M
    edited July 2018

Ack, this isn't turning out the way I was hoping and I don't have the time to devote to it. I bit off more than I could chew.

The foreground grass clumps are dynamic hair grown on a flat vertex object with it's sides shuffled around so the shape is irregular, then Replicated.

The trees are simple vertex objects with subdivision turned up to 3 and then some Displacement painting added, also Replicated.

I experimented with making some clouds using flat planes with a Turbulence Noise texture and a mask in the alpha channel using the Subtract Operator. The mask was made using metaballs in a 'cloud' shape with a pure white color in the Glow channel. I added some Blur to the Metaball object under the Effects tab. It would probably be better to blur the image in an external editor, but this was just an experiment that could use a lot of improvement. These are painfully duplicated 3 times.  indecision

test_comp_003.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 431K
    Cloud_001.jpg
    500 x 500 - 18K
    Metaball_Blur_001.jpg
    500 x 500 - 17K
    Post edited by DesertDude on

Really quite interesting!

edited July 2018

@DesertDude - looks fascinating, but I feel your pain in things not looking the way I had started out.  Yours looks really cool, though!

Here is Chickenzilla, the Legendary Pinup.

chickenzilla pinup jpg entry.jpg
    1250 x 2000 - 719K

+1 yes

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

Thanks @evilproducer and @Diomede. Love the Chickenzilla!

Selina said:

+ 1 - love the colours, weirdness and innovative use of Carrara

Thanks @Selina

edited July 2018

Thanks, @Selina, @Desertdude and EP.  Sort of scrambling to make last minute changes and to clean up my entry information.  I might be able to add a longstem cigarette holder for Chickenzilla. 

@Selina - I hope you are going to add your entries back in.  They are seriously wonderful.  Very inspiring.

Just want to say that I had grand plans for a serious landscape scene with waterfalls, paths, bridges, and folks strolling about - Hanging Gardens of Babylon.  Never got it done.  I also had grand plans for a rubber-suited monster to attack a city that looks like a train set, in homage to the Japanese monster TV shows of my youth.  Never got that done either.  Feel disappointed.  Bit off much more than I could chew.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

@DesertDude a right handed snowcone with an eye... I love it yes
    (take that all you lefties) lol

@Diomede you just continue to amazball us with your imagination... from hanging gardens to chickenzilla .. wow 

@LightofHeaven sorry to hear of your loss.. sad your ideas were coming along nicely

@evilproducer happy birthday for the other day... Kanga kisses for you and your hosting surprise

@Head Wax how bizzare... but so encompassing ... brilliant as usual 

really great effort by all ... as usual I enjoy so much watching it all unfold.. rip snorta yes

Hi everybody! In about an hour I the entry thread will change over to the voting thread! If you need a bit of extra time, say the word. I did say "about" after all. wink

i need 10 years! :D

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,119

i need 10 years! :D

_yes