Carrara Challenge 41: The Super, Legendary, Epic Render Challenge!

Comments

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

Have you made sure they are conformed to the figure?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Is Captain Sunburn's sidekick Tomatoe Boy.... I wonder.... 

Ooseven hang in there, something will come to mind and feed the muse 

@Selina ... getting very eeeeerie is that... and like Wendy my mind is wandering !! arrrggghhh...

UnifiedBrain that render kinda reminds me of what's his name... MegaMind!

Bunyip.. you can never have too many Krazy Kritters in a render... yes

hmm... Super, Legendary, Epic Render

I must look and see if I have any basketbrawl stuff for a 'Thrilla in Manila' render... devil

@Selina: I love where this is going. What a great use for the hair!

@Diomede: Cool and funny character!

@UnifiedBrain: I love the concept. It is great you were able to make the captured image look so fresh and vibrant. Great use of metaballs!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Diomede and evilproducer, many thanks!

0oseven said:

I am still struggling with the topic to come up with inspiration for the competition - but trying, just so you know I am frown

One thing I do is open a product or two in Carrara that I haven't used yet, and start playing with it - poses, textures, everything.  Make it look as cool as you can.  While playing, lightly be aware of the Challenge theme.  At some point, the direction to take with the product(s) (regarding the theme) starts to form.  Basically, it's just being open to your intuition and imagination during the process, and letting it steer you into a render that works in the Challenge.

I start most renders with almost no idea where they are going.  Maybe it shows. smiley

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

enjoying all these posts - especially captain sunburn and astro boy - bit paedophillic there tho Stezza.

hairs as trees? who would have thought - what a good idea - looking forwrad to seeing them textured too

Super, Legendary, Epic

Super Sausage Dog... the newest crime fighter on the scene... Batman - Legendary and a Labrador, just because they are epic.. 

head wax said:

enjoying all these posts - especially captain sunburn and astro boy - bit paedophillic there tho Stezza.

do you think.... eeeek! ... hope Bishop Wilson don't see it! devil

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

Selina said:

..started to look at texturing the scene...

Epic 3

Still need to add interest and some metaball thing. Still can't get the clothes to conform, maybe I'll have to swop out the Genesis 2 Base Male for a Genesis 2 Character - don't really know what I'm doing yet ! Other than getting really good at camera manipulation to align props by eye (which is not a bad skill to develop I suppose!)

Selina 

Looking good! You only need to do one or the other- metaball or hair. You can do both if you want to, but it is not required. 

edited July 2018

@Selina: Did you get the clothing issue sorted out? If not, you need to select the clothing item, and then the Fit To option in the General tab. With Genesis and later, you may need to expand the heirarchy as in my screen shot.

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 6.45.48 AM.png
    500 x 1856 - 162K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    Stezza said:

Super, Legendary, Epic

Super Sausage Dog... the newest crime fighter on the scene... Batman - Legendary and a Labrador, just because they are epic.. 

head wax said:

do you think.... eeeek! ... hope Bishop Wilson don't see it! devil

Great work Stezza. And my two Labs agree. They are epic! heart

edited July 2018

Just a little scene I whipped together that I would call legendary because of the Vikings. wink

The grass is extra large hair.

Homecoming.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 1M
    edited March 2021

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2018

Selina, feel free to run!  You are going to be running one of these challenges very soon, I expect.

If you ever have questions about functions, etc., please ask.

EP - great render, very inspirational use of your free set (thanks again for that!)

Meanwhile, back in some evil lair, Captain Sunburn and Tomato Boy (thanks, Stezza, for the suggestion) face the infamous spike wall trap.  The spikes are created with Carrara hair scaled up in the hair modeling room and then the hair shader allows control of the hair thickness at root and tip.  Root set to 100% and tip set close to 1%.  Still no votes on whether Captain Sunburn has a cape? I'm thinking that the evil foe will be in the window watching.  Any preferences on the evil foe?  I've also included a faucette above the window if some liquid is desired to fill the room to further endanger our hero. Maybe sunscreen oil?  

Suggestions most welcome.

captain sunburn and tomato boy in danger.jpg
    480 x 640 - 43K
    spike wall trap settings.JPG
    1656 x 978 - 173K
    spike wall shader.JPG
    1785 x 859 - 119K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited July 2018

Diomede, didn't you learn anything about capes from The Incredibles? cheeky

That's a great use of hair. Carrara is so versatile, and its users are so creative, I am always in amazed.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Thanks, EP.  I should say that Tomato Boy's head is a morph for the free killer tomato offered by GK Dantas used in Challenge 33.  Anyone can get their own killer tomato by following the instructions in Stezza's second post in the following thread.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/168881/carrara-challenge-tomatoes-et-al-33-chat-time/p1

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

I've used them for asteroids. I used spherical mapping on them and then applied a moon or planet image map from NASA or maybe I ripped one out of the space scene preset... I can't remember for sure.

Those were cool videos evilproducer! I'm sure you've posted links before, not sure how I missed them, but nicely done.

3drendero said:

For the Legendary category, a first and very early WIP render of the Cannon Spiker.

3drendero - that's a great start, can't wait to see more glow and how your energy field evolves. 

Stezza said:

Well, I started on my super, epic, legendary project and then when I got to the finish point I saved it, rendered a test image and then crash.... can't load up the saved file either... nil point error... or in other words it's been bunyipped!

Stezza - Oh no! I'm glad you figured out the problem, love the comic style explanation, lol. Love the image - great camera angle!

Diomede said:

Quick update on my setting.  Ultimately, I want the rubbersuited monster walking through skyscrapers and towering over trees with a nearby river and distant hills.  May or may not have a harbor close to the camera.

Diomede - that landscape is looking fantastic! Thanks for the detailed explanations. Love the 'noise filter' tress - genius!

Bunyip02 said:

Me - "Catch those Critters" WIP1, early days yet - just setting up the scene. Showing a bit of love to Aiko 3 this time around. Used the DAZ Hair Cap with Fit to A3 for the Dynamic hair used.

Bunyip02 - those little critters look adorable. Will be great to see what kind of compostion you create.

Mentallis - super hero...or super villian?

UnifiedBrain - great dynamic image. I love the background energy blasts!!

Selina said:

Thanks Bunyip02 for the prompt ... just thinking of setting the scene.

Here I used hair as tree trunks - awaiting texturing, etcetera... Just a daft draft of a wooden area, nothing special [yet]

Selina - that is looking and developing very cool. Who would have thought hair for tree trunks? I love the creativity of this community.

Diomede said:

Brash Lonergan's alter ego, Captain Sunburn!!!

Diomede - Captain Sunburn, I love it! Not sure if he needs a cape, but maybe he needs a super cool Captain Sunburn logo on his chest? 

Stezza said:

Super, Legendary, Epic

Setzza - wow, all three themes in one great image! Awsome!

Just a little scene I whipped together that I would call legendary because of the Vikings. wink

The grass is extra large hair.

evilproducer - great image, nice use of hair for grass. Great looking landscape cliffs and nice atmopshere.

I think I decided on a theme/image but need to do some sketches first.

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited July 2018

Thanks for the kind words for the Cannon Spiker render.
    Here is an update, added a colorful shader and made it semi-transparent.
    Though no luck with the glow channel yet, to spread that rainbow energy around the scene...

/EDIT, finally Anything Glows has lit up the scene with an energy bolt of happiness...

spiker_wip2.png
    1440 x 1080 - 1M
    spiker_wip3.png
    1440 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by 3drendero on
    edited March 2021

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024

Thanks Selina, works now.
    Was also hoping for a small glow effect around the bubble to, sort of brighter/blurrier, without post processing.

3drendero said:

Thanks Selina, works now.
    Was also hoping for a small glow effect around the bubble to, sort of brighter/blurrier, without post processing.

To get that, select the object with the glow, then select it's Effects tab, and enable and edit the aura.

As an FYI, the glow channel can illuminate and act like a light source if you use Indirect Lighting in the render room.

@3drendro: It kind of looks like you have a reflection on your energy bolt. Was that something you wanted?

@diomede I thought Tomato Boy would come in handy, especially for our Great Britain/European friends who are not familiar with sunburn and are presently in the middle of a heat wave.. that's if you call 30c a heatwave devil

Tomatoes of course can be applied to any sunburn you may get from being out in the sun for too long without protection... cut it in half and rub over the affected skin... super stuff that....

thanks @Selina ... luckies we have thick skins lol ... is that a miniature kangaroo I spotted there? we had two full grown ones in the backyard yesterday munching away on the grass.

Now to see what can be done with that hotdog bun Daz is sorta giving away.. see if I can get it on my Hivewire sausage dog smiley

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499
    edited July 2018

My attempt at a meatball--er, metaball iceberg. Looks more like  pile of crap. lol

Capture4.PNG
    1920 x 1040 - 500K
    Post edited by VIArts on
    edited July 2018

@LightofHeaven: I think it looks just fine. Also, aren't 9/10's of an iceberg below the surface? So if there is a part you don't like, sink it below the waves!

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

I'll sink it for sure.

Are fhere any ice shaders?