Carrara Challenge 41: The Super, Legendary, Epic Render Challenge!

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

There might be. I know there is snow. If you want to build one, I would suggest using transparency, translucency, refraction, and bump, among others. All driven by color gradients, fractal noise, and probably elevation.

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

That'll be a challenge for a guy with 10/20ish visionm but i could try.

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited July 2018

I'll sink it for sure.

Are fhere any ice shaders?

I don't know where I got it from but there is a Glacier shader

Glacier Shader 2.png
    3096 x 1040 - 704K
    Glacier Shader 1.png
    3704 x 1040 - 898K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited July 2018
    Selina said:
    Stezza said:

@diomede I thought Tomato Boy would come in handy, especially for our Great Britain/European friends who are not familiar with sunburn and are presently in the middle of a heat wave.. that's if you call 30c a heatwave devil

Greece can get temperatures up into the 40s and in London, (UK) temperatures on the Tube in hot weather like this can soar too! Especially when they stop in the tunnels for any length of time and you're just sat there along with your fellow 'stinking' passengers - I can't tell you how many hours I spent under the arm pits of my compatriots in carriages full to bursting down there cheeky

Stezza said:

Tomatoes of course can be applied to any sunburn you may get from being out in the sun for too long without protection... cut it in half and rub over the affected skin... super stuff that....

Great tip - I'll try to remember ... but in this heat I might find it difficult wink I recall someone else mentioning onions were a good anticeptic - so next time you get sunburn and want to clean up the area first... you know what you can do wink

Stezza said:

.. is that a miniature kangaroo I spotted there? We had two full grown ones in the backyard yesterday munching away on the grass.

Yes my mini-roo is the pink one that comes pre-installed with Carrara in the Vertex Objects tab.

By the way, on Sat TV there was a programme about huge trucks rolling along the Australian outback collecting grain my other half was watching and at night apparently these animals come to the road sides to eat the vegetation that grows there and we got to see a large 'male' jumping across the road and as soon as the truck's lights shone on 'him' he turned and jumped on the truck instead of leaping out of the way!!! Not good for him, the travelling trucker nor the truck no

Selina

One night when I was travelling on a winding country road I had another car trying to overtake me. I then drove down to a creek-bridge crossing and had about half a dozen roo's jumping alongside my car, fortunately none of them crossed in front of the vehicle. The other car that was trying to overtake stayed behind me for the whole trip after that.

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited March 2021

edited March 2021

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

That iceberg would make a great fantasy castle shape!

And yes, 30 degrees C is a heatwave. And no rain for weeks!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2018

@LightofHeaven - that iceberg is going to be great when you place it in the water.  No need for concern, unless you are on the Titanic.
    @3DRendero - as EP pointed out, you can get an object to emit light by combining the glow channel with indirect light.  When you set the value in the glow channel, remember that you can go over 100% using the Value 1-1000% option.  You can also use OPERATION : MULTIPLY in the shader channel to get even higher.  Higher numbers in the glow channel will emit more light with indirect light turned on.
    @Selina - Very dramatic with your figures in the woods.  Can't wait to see how yu texture your trees.
    @Stezza - I don't remember Batman having a hot dog, but it would be EPIC. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My 3rd and final Super, Legendary, and Epic project will be the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. I used primitive cubes to block out spaces for ancient buildings.  I used the landscape techniques described for my first project to create the duplicate water object to fit in the water channels.  The Ziggarat is from the Carrara object tray but I hope to replace it with a palace and aquaduct.  Some replicators with plants to add some preliminary detail. 

This landscape object is preliminary.  I want the water channels to be narrower with more waterfalls.  I want the hillsides to have a few terraces.  I want some walking paths through the gardens.  I need better buildings and plants, etc.

wip hanging gardens.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 225K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Diomede - that is already looking very nice - legendary AND epic!

edited July 2018

Thanks, @PhilW.  Depending on the ultimate camera angle, etc., I may be using your city block method to fill in the urban areas visible beyond the hill.  I'm thinking that the area to the lower left may best be a hand-placed bazaar or market, but the distant area to the upper right may need replicators.  I'm also considering surrounding the gardens with a fence instead of a wall.  I used white dots in a terrain layer to raise fence posts on an uneven landscape in a prior challenge.  Here, I raised the walls with a solid line in a separate map, but I'm not happy with issues applying textures to the sides of the wall.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

cant think of anything more EPIC than Metallica. ... or AC/DC

or  epic wedgie, tee hee, but cant think what to hairify for epic wedgie laugh

Diomede said:

@LightofHeaven - that iceberg is going to be great when you place it in the water.  No need for concern, unless you are on the Titanic.
    @3DRendero - as EP pointed out, you can get an object to emit light by combining the glow channel with indirect light.  When you set the value in the glow channel, remember that you can go over 100% using the Value 1-1000% option.  You can also use OPERATION : MULTIPLY in the shader channel to get even higher.  Higher numbers in the glow channel will emit more light with indirect light turned on.
    @Selina - Very dramatic with your figures in the woods.  Can't wait to see how yu texture your trees.
    @Stezza - I don't remember Batman having a hot dog, but it would be EPIC. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My 3rd and final Super, Legendary, and Epic project will be the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. I used primitive cubes to block out spaces for ancient buildings.  I used the landscape techniques described for my first project to create the duplicate water object to fit in the water channels.  The Ziggarat is from the Carrara object tray but I hope to replace it with a palace and aquaduct.  Some replicators with plants to add some preliminary detail. 

This landscape object is preliminary.  I want the water channels to be narrower with more waterfalls.  I want the hillsides to have a few terraces.  I want some walking paths through the gardens.  I need better buildings and plants, etc.

cute.  is like a epic shoots and ladders.

Mistara said:

cant think of anything more EPIC than Metallica. ... or AC/DC

or  epic wedgie, tee hee, but cant think what to hairify for epic wedgie laugh

I think you have identified the epic right there.  See https://youtu.be/J9RXvRHW7FM

Thanks regarding mine.  Maybe I should add amusement park rides.  Did the Babylonians have roller coasters?

AC/DC was my first proper gig - around 200 people at a college gig, maybe around 1977? Of course they have gone on to bigger things since!  The next week I was one of 8000 people at a Pink Floyd gig!

edited July 2018

I went to hear AC/DC in 2001.  Things had changed a lot from 1977!  The people rocking out were grandparents, and some of them brought the grandkids!  Not quite how I imagine it was like for Phil in 1977.

Playing around with another garden landscape concept.  This one would have an aquaduct represented by the diagonal cubes bringing water to a cylinder tower perched on a hill, with the water radiating out to the gardens, which would be on terraces.  The terraces would have a mixture of plants and buildings that have plants on them.  Would still surround the gardens with desert and ancient buildings.

Any preferences between having the gardens as an extension of the general slope vs a separate hill for the gardens?

yy another try tower garden wip.jpg
    800 x 500 - 41K

I beleive I read once that the Hanging Gardens of Babylon were actually believed to have been built on top of walls tor built terraces.

Babylon 5?

edited July 2018

I beleive I read once that the Hanging Gardens of Babylon were actually believed to have been built on top of walls tor built terraces.

Historical accuracy would indeed require a lot of changes.  The most unfortunate fact being that the hanging gardens may not have been real.  They are the only of the ancient wonders of the world that we don't have confirmation of its existence and location.  According to several internet research sources, including but not limited to Wikipedia, the hanging gardens of Babylon were neither hanging nor in Babylon. According to this theory, they were actually...

The Screwed Gardens of Nineveh.

While we don't have any first hand historical or archeological confirmation of hanging gardens in Babylon (on the Euphrates River), they have found archeological evidence of extensive canals and irrigation in Nineveh (near modern Mosul on the Tigres River).  Nineveh's King bragged about his gardens in written records, there is a surviving stone bas relief depicting his gardens, in addition to the physical evidence of the aquaducts and canals built to the distant mountains to allow the gardens to be raised above the city, His gardens used screws to raise water in addition to the aquaduct.  For Babylon, a couple ancient sources do exist that quote sources no longer in existence that Babylon had hanging gardens, but these authors lived much later.  We have not found any archeological eviedence of the gardens there, yet.

edited July 2018

Very interesting. I had have heard about Nineveh, and its aquaducts. Never drew the connection to Babylon though.

Ancient history is fascinating.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited July 2018

Agreed, I love ancient history.  Although I don't feel encumbered with a need to be accurate, I can certainly take it into account.  If so, that would seem to argue more for the second approach (terraced separate hill with an aquaduct), but I should make the footprint of the gardens more square instead of circular.  The gardens should be even higher relative to the nearby side buildings.  And, I should get a screw in there to raise water from a nearby river.

I can do that.  yes

More ideas and suggestions welcome.  (EDIT: more than just welcome - very much encouraged - thank you EP! )

edited July 2018

Here is a quick test.  River edge is a little off and the base terrain needs some smoothing.  However, here is a square shaped gardens with water channels and a tower on top.

Thoughts or preferences?  Remember, have to imagine plants replicated and buildings in the surroundings.

wip from bb01 series.jpg
    800 x 500 - 39K

I think you are off to a great start!

edited July 2018

Work for the day: two meta-bergs with a glacier shader  (thanks for pointing out the built in one) and the you-know-what. i don't havae mfy real deal in it yet.

Capture3.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by VIArts on

I know they're too blue, but i's tired and lazy to fiddle at the moment

Titanic is a great project.  Probably already know this, but for general consumption, objects with reflecton and similar attributes are affected by their surroundings.  Therefore, for outdoor scenes, test renders will be affected by the sky, or whatever is placed in the background tab of the scene settings.  I generally set the background tab to thedefault bigradient even if it is not being used just so that something is there for the test renders.

Sorry for the rambling aside.  How are you creating your ocean?  One option is to use replicated terrains set to seamless.  I believe that was how FractalDimensia made his winner for an earlier challenge.
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/422293/#Comment_422293

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

@Diomede - awsome work on the landscape! I don't know, I guess I personally prefer a litttle more the circular gardens...looks more organic? But all fantastic! 

@LightofHeaven - lookin' great! Great use of the Metaball Modeler. There's plenty of time. I haven't even finalized my concept yet, lol.

edited July 2018

Thanks for the feedback, Desertdude.  The second one (circular) is still my favorite as well. I'm stll experimenting with some details closer to historic theories (next to a broad river (Tigris or Euphrates), high squared off walls, towering over nearby urban area.  In this one I've got some simple cube buildings again.  I don't like how the big river (other side of gardens), far bank, and sky cut across the top.  

Plenty of time to experiment, and open to more suggestions.  Maybe what I should do is a futuristic New Babylon (#6, #7 or #8?) on some alien world with mutant plant gardens?

In any case, here is the most recent WIP as per internet research.

wip big river in background 2.jpg
    800 x 500 - 68K
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Awesome. Epic!!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

@Diomede - awsome work on the landscape! I don't know, I guess I personally prefer a litttle more the circular gardens...looks more organic? But all fantastic! 

+1

In most cases, I have little interest in authenticity for authenticity's sake.  I'm more interested in how cool it looks. :)

@LightofHeaven - lookin' great! Great use of the Metaball Modeler.

+1 again.