Carrara Challenge 41: The Super, Legendary, Epic Render Challenge!

Comments

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499
    Diomede said:

Sorry for the rambling aside.  How are you creating your ocean?  One option is to use replicated terrains set to seamless.  I believe that was how FractalDimensia made his winner for an earlier challenge.
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/422293/#Comment_422293

I used PhilW's Realistic Seas, which I bought who-knows-when. I've used replicated oceansc before too.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    Diomede said:

Titanic is a great project.  Probably already know this, but for general consumption, objects with reflecton and similar attributes are affected by their surroundings.  Therefore, for outdoor scenes, test renders will be affected by the sky, or whatever is placed in the background tab of the scene settings.  I generally set the background tab to thedefault bigradient even if it is not being used just so that something is there for the test renders.

Sorry for the rambling aside.  How are you creating your ocean?  One option is to use replicated terrains set to seamless.  I believe that was how FractalDimensia made his winner for an earlier challenge.
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/422293/#Comment_422293

You may know this already, but the ocean primitive in a replicator set to seamless will also work like the terrain. The cool part is that it works even when animated.

+1

In most cases, I have little interest in authenticity for authenticity's sake.  I'm more interested in how cool it looks. :)

I agree. Unless you're trying to do a scholarly work or illustrating for National Geographic, artistic license is a plus!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Ancient Carrara theorists suggest that ancient software mentioned in these sacred texts are in fact extraterrestrial beings with highly advanced technologies who were misinterpreted as “Gods” by ancient modellers.

I've always been intrigued by the hanging gardens of Babylon since I was a little boy, dunno why.. but what if the hanging gardens where not about how awesome the gardens were but in fact a place where sacrificial offerings where given by hanging peoples in the gardens....  surprise

anyways @Diomede that is going to be awesome when done ... and also a Titanic image.. @lightofheaven wow... there is a webpage somewhere which actually goes through the whole scenario in real time from hitting the ice berg to sinking.. goes for hours!!... who would sit there and watch all that.... umm... yep... me!

great stuff... as usual .. 'Live Long and Boolean'

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2018

Thanks for the oceans tips.

Here is a metaball donkey. (this is the pure primitive view - no blob smoothing)

Here is a metaball donkey carrying packs (two cubes and a cylinder).

Here is a pack metaball donkey being led by a low res ancient guy (vertex model) on a roof.

Here are 100 pack metaball donkeys being led by low res ancient guys (vertex models) in a hanging garden.

donkey metaball.JPG
    1790 x 1034 - 106K
    donkey pack animal closeup.JPG
    1678 x 968 - 153K
    donkey pack aimal 1b.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 724K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited July 2018

Here are some more Lo Res folks to make the city feel lived in.  Intended to be replicated in the distance.  For those of you who have watched PhilW's advanced tutorials, this approach to city populations should look familar, but with an ancient twist.

Base Lo Res

Some variations.

lo res guy.JPG
    1025 x 917 - 68K
    lo res guy dressed up.jpg
    640 x 480 - 30K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited July 2018

epic @diomede ... yes

all I got to show is Georgio ... with metaball balloons, prolific use of Carrara hair and a discovery of Ancient Aliens! 

Georgio's Ancient Aliens.png
    900 x 675 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited July 2018

Mostly camera work today. A lirtle shading. No lights yet lol

And yeah, I have my makeshift framing grid on. lol

test.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 140K
    Post edited by Chohole on

Loving your rule of thirds guide! 

I prefer to call it the guidelines of thirds. wink

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Diomede said:

Here are some more Lo Res folks to make the city feel lived in.  Intended to be replicated in the distance.  For those of you who have watched PhilW's advanced tutorials, this approach to city populations should look familar, but with an ancient twist.

Base Lo Res

Some variations.

i sees candy canes

edited July 2018

You can probably see where I'm headed with this. I'm using the V4 Super Suit (or is it Body Suit?), and I am in the preliminary stages of painting it. I tried Carrara's 3D paint tool and it wasn't accurate enough for this stage. I may try it later. Right now, I'm using Affinity Photo and the exported UV map as my template.. So far it is just the bold colors and dark lines to define the shapes on the eagle. Next it will be the bold lines on the body of the suit. After that, I will try and paint in details and shading. This is the first time I have really gone all out and painted a clothing texture. Usually I prefer to use procesurals.

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 9.07.15 PM.png
    2260 x 1158 - 404K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on

I'm shooting for a night sceneon the ocean, so i have a replicated Carrara ocean and a moon light with realistic sky on. but i can't seem to get my ocean to look real. any tips?

Selina said:

That's a very sharp beak to have between one's breasts, EP surprise [ouch]

Agreed.

Careful, it pecs! (pun intended)

edited March 2021

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited July 2018

UB - Very nice, like the lightning/energy burst in your render behind your posed figure.

Selina - great idea for a wooded scene

Diomede - enjoying the progress of Captain Sunburn, Hanging Gardens of Babylon are great

Stezza - Super Sausage Dog is definately epic !!!! Georgia needs a good barber.

EP - love the Viking scene. I agree with Selina that beak does look sharp.

3drendero - nice progress with Anything Glows

LightofHeaven - looking forward to seeing those icebergs finished

Me - update on Catch those Critters.

Overall scene is now setup. I took the template for the van into PaintShopPro and added a custom paint job. Added the completed texture to the van. Posed the figures. Still to do dynamic hair on the critters.

Homage to Men In Black.    "Due to budget cutbacks the MIB program has been abandoned, replaced with the cheapest contractors available."

Catch Those Critters Carrara 2a.png
    2276 x 1037 - 725K
    Catch Those Critters Carrara 2b.png
    1875 x 1001 - 644K
    Catch Those Critters 1 1600.png
    1600 x 989 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited July 2018

Dynamic hair on critters done, also went crazy and added some metaballs as scouts for a UFO.

Catch Those Critters Carrara 3.png
    2270 x 1035 - 706K
    Catch Those Critters 3 1600.png
    1600 x 989 - 2M
    edited July 2018

Final render

Catch Those Critters 4 1600.png
    1600 x 989 - 2M

I'm shooting for a night sceneon the ocean, so i have a replicated Carrara ocean and a moon light with realistic sky on. but i can't seem to get my ocean to look real. any tips?

Can you post a screen shot? What about it doesn't look right to you?

@LightofHeaven: Try this and let me know if it helps. It adds whitecaps based on the altitude of the waves.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/718t7ua3w4sypnk/Water_scene_and_shader.zip?dl=0

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited July 2018

sorry quick visit got rl issues that need attending visit tomorrow

here's a jack in the box after seeing the j i b thread.

not really epic = hands and key with philemeno's plug in = hair as spikes in box - face painted in carrara paint - it's pretty powerful I see now I know what to look for - cant tell by the face though :)

jackinboxcropped.jpg
    1379 x 1832 - 1M
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited July 2018

Thanks, EP, I'll have a look.

This is where I left off before dragging my nonexistent butt to bed at...ahem...5AM (that's how fun art is!). Now that I'm lookinh at pics of tfhs Titanic at night, it seems the water should be blackish and really shiny/reflective (ugh, how am i ever gonna lighdt that ship).

Working in a different scene, btw

Capture4.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 368K
    Post edited by VIArts on

Not sure of the shading domains, but if there are separate ones for the lights, add a glow to them maybe.

Remember, if you have a reflective surface, it needs something to reflect. You may have better luck with Highlight and Shininess. The other thing to remember, is the images you see of the wreck if the Titanic are artist's conceptions.

edited July 2018

Just a quickie using Realistic Seas.

Added a spotlight to light the boat, also added a bulb within the bridge structure to act as internal lighting.

Ship 1.png
    2270 x 1037 - 3M
    Ship spotlight 1.png
    2272 x 1040 - 3M
    Ship Bulb 1.png
    2272 x 1044 - 1M
    edited July 2018

Hairy Critter Carrara setup - still deciding if I will add to the scene.

Hairy Critter 2.png
    3008 x 1035 - 2M
    head wax said:

sorry quick visit got rl issues that need attending visit tomorrow

here's a jack in the box after seeing the j i b thread.

not really epic = hands and key with philemeno's plug in = hair as spikes in box - face painted in carrara paint - it's pretty powerful I see now I know what to look for - cant tell by the face though :)

Looks like a torture chamber !!!!!

edited July 2018

Raw render

Postwork setup

After Postwork is done.

Hairy Critter 3 1600.png
    1600 x 903 - 3M
    Hairy Critter 3 TopazImpress AbandonMining SS.png
    1918 x 1035 - 2M
    Hairy Critter 3 TopazImpress AbandonMining 1600.png
    1600 x 903 - 3M
    edited July 2018

Super SteamPunker set-up. Uses the Space Hair but you need a close-up to do it justice, need to find a use for metaballs......

Super StemPunker 1 Carrara.png
    2272 x 1040 - 2M
    edited March 2021