Starion's WIP and test thread

starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
edited May 2015 in Art Studio

Current computers that I am using:

AMD FX 6300 @ 3.5 GHz.. Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Old:
Single core AMD running at 1.8 GHz. 3 GB memory. Windows XP 32 bit. Nvidia Geforce 630 for Octane 1 demo

Intel i7 2.5 GHz laptop with 12 GB of memory Windows 8.1 64 bit

Dual Core Intel Pentium running at 2.6 GHz. 4 GB memory. Windows 7 64 bit.

Memory usage and tips have moved here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/559103/

Memory usage of female outfits sorted by size: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/507782/

Unofficial list of unfinished projects: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/621182/

Victoria 4's characters commentary

V4's clothing commentary

Genesis
1 texture commentary

1 clothing commentary

2 texture and character commentary

2 clothing commentary

observations and information of running Daz Studio 4 on 32 bit Windows

to do - generation 3 textures

to do - generation 3 clothes

to do - skin textures that use V5's UV map

---- Links that I should move later:
Luxrender benchmark

Single Core computer: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/529399/

Dual-Core Pentium G630: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/529530/

Other threads and 3rd party links:
IRay: Start here

Random skin rendering problems with Victoria 6, teen Josie 6

Sub Surface Scattering settings in ds4 by RawArt

AMD Processor Temperature Information and Guide - Overclock.net

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013

Updated Genesis & Genesis 2 Products List & Thing To Be Aware Of

Non-Genesis Content with Metadata

Updated Platinum Club products

---- end of links

I'm going to post my works in progress here instead of my DeviantArt account.

Here is genesis 2 with default Bree skin in Daz Studio 4.6. She is wearing the evening gown and basic wear. I'll change her clothes later. I was just messing around with the clothes. Her skin is a bit bright in spots. I have circled the bright spots in red. I will have to edit the lights. I need a background too. The scene took about five minutes to render. I told you that my computer is slow. lol

I'll post a new version later in the week.

Copy_of_Genesis_2_test.jpg
590 x 576 - 48K
Post edited by starionwolf on

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Welcome to the art studio section!
    Those bright light sections appear to be from a spotlight coming from the front, am I correct? I don't know your level of expertise, but you can either turn down that particular light, or try a different one (say a distant light) in its place. A distant one at 30% or more can work very nicely to get even lighting. Should be fun to see what you do with her this week.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

oh wow, I forgot to mention what kind of lights I was using in the scene.

I have two distant lights and a spotlight in the front. One distant light is rotated at -45 degrees along the Y axis and the other is at 45 degrees along the Y axis. I will try reducing the intensity of the lights and rotating the distant lights too. I'm so used to using preset and pre-made lights that I forgot how to setup my own lights. At least the new skins don't have the weird pinkish glow that some generation 3 skins have.

Thanks for the ideas. Bye

edited August 2013

Quick test render of Laura 3 in Dream Home Upper Floor Guest Room. I like the skylight in the room. I forgot to move my sky plane so that it is near the window. lol. The sky plane is still on the ground.

I need more practice setting up indoor lights to cast shadows the way that I want them.

Laura_Guest_Room.jpg
    498 x 576 - 84K
    edited December 1969

Yes, darned those pesky sky planes on the floor lol!

If you want to experiment, since you have that sky opening, you can put her forward of it, and have a spotlight coming in through the window and hitting her shoulders. It gives it a nice "pop" effect where she stands out. A light gold or grayish blue works nicely. This skylight lets you have both indoor and outdoor lighting, quite a nice opportunity :)

Did you tweak the first one?

edited September 2013

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to work on my first scene. My hard drive is going bad. I lost some dream home furniture. I won't be able to play with 3D graphics programs until I replace the hard drive. I am typing on my friend's netbook.

edited September 2013

I can still use Daz Studio 3. I just can't create complex scenes or scenes using generation 4 figures or neweri.

Here is Laura on an asteroid. lol The spotlight is too bright. I forgot to lower the spotlight from 80 to something lower. I did lower the distant lights to 50% intensity. I need to work on the lights and camera angle. I'm going to install some simple backgrounds and furniture to work on some old scenes.

Laura_in_space.jpg
    640 x 480 - 205K
    edited December 1969

Let me render something more realistic. lol. I had to trade her skirt for shorts because I had trouble posing the skirt. I decreased the intensity of the lights. Therefore, he skin looks better; it is not washed out. Thanks for looking.

Laura_Jeep.jpg
    640 x 480 - 175K
    edited December 1969

Different version of with Jeep and camper. I forgot to buy the extra textures fro the World War II Jeep.

Laura_jeep.jpg
    640 x 480 - 149K
    edited October 2013

I found some old renders.

Laura with 3D Celebrity Kenya texture.

Laura in morphing fantasy dress.

Laura_Luxrender.jpg
    518 x 610 - 126K
    Laura_Kenya_3.jpg
    521 x 610 - 84K
    edited October 2013

i managed to fit JeanZ over Catgirl's boots and the voluptuous body shape.

catgirl_jeanz.jpg
    640 x 480 - 187K
    edited October 2013

really quick test render of Josie with Lisa's texture. I applied a stone/granite shader to the clothes. I should work on my older scenes soon.

edit: forgot to add my other render of Josie with stone texture. I can now make my own stone people with the new shaders that I bought.

Lisa_rock.jpg
    274 x 531 - 26K
    Lisa_stone_bikini.jpg
    280 x 540 - 24K
    edited December 1969

I found some old renders.

Laura with 3D Celebrity Kenya texture.

Laura in morphing fantasy dress.

I like the second one the best. It looks very comfortable, an easy fit, and the hair and expression nicely add to the scene. I also love the jeep one pulling the camper- very clever! :)

edited December 1969

Hi Novica, thanks for the comments. I need to work on my old scenes.

I loaded a horse to see how it would look like in Daz Studio 3. The Millennium Environment takes a while to render with ray traced shadows. I think the grass uses transparencies. I'm glad that I am not using uber area lights or Lux Render.

daz_horse.jpg
    521 x 617 - 116K
    edited December 1969

LOL- wait until you get so many lights that in ten minutes you're sitting at 3%. THEN you know it's going to be a very long night. The render looks good coming in, lots of detail in the grass.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    LOL- wait until you get so many lights that in ten minutes you're sitting at 3%. THEN you know it's going to be a very long night. The render looks good coming in, lots of detail in the grass.
    Ten minutes at 3%? That's nothing. My current render is at only 78% after almost 46 hours ad counting.
    edited December 1969

And we're going to see it, right? :)

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Not here, but it will be on my DA page, after I make the necessary corrections to the scene involving "issues" discovered during rendering and re-render it. It's a full nude and thus would break TOS here.
    edited December 1969

This render only took six minutes. I lowered the shader samples to from 16 to 2 and I also increased the shader rate to 1.0. I reducedd the shader rate to deal with some seams in my other renders. I'm going to work on my old scenes now before I forget.

laura_horse.jpg
    516 x 610 - 97K
    edited October 2013

Novica said:
    Not here, but it will be on my DA page, after I make the necessary corrections to the scene involving "issues" discovered during rendering and re-render it. It's a full nude and thus would break TOS here.

I need to find some underwear for my generation 3 figures before the moderators delete my renders too. lol Let me just just say that skirts reveal too much skin in certain poses.

edited December 1969

Novica said:

I need to find some underwear for my generation 3 figures before the moderators delete my renders too. lol Let me just just say that skirts reveal too much skin in certain poses.Yeah. Anytime I have my ladies wear a skirt, I put panties on them for certain. This is especially true given that the skirts they were tend to be rather short.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    The render I was talking about is complete and posted on my DA page.
    edited October 2013

Thanks for posting the link. I'll take a look at the render.

I finally found a car that has a steering wheel on the right side. I loaded it into Maclean's street scene. The scene uses about 215 MB of video card memory.

I know, I need to change the camera angle and render some shadows.

Laura_car.jpg
    755 x 610 - 84K
    edited December 1969

Matt 3 and Victoria 4. I'm looking for the bald hair in my backup. If I can't find it then I will need to buy some.

Matt_V4.jpg
    519 x 610 - 55K
    edited October 2013

I am missing some parts of the bottom floor of the Dream Home. I need the front yard, kitchen, dinning room, garage and dressing room. This scene uses 300 MB of video (OpenGL) memory. Eek

Dream_home.jpg
    1024 x 710 - 120K
    edited November 2013

My render of Teen Josie 6 does not look like the promotional renders. lol I forgot to change the shading rate.

Josie_shadow.jpg
    477 x 576 - 53K
    edited December 1969

My render of Teen Josie 6 does not look like the promotional renders. lol I forgot to change the shading rate.

You'll honestly find the Josie materials give dark shadows under the eyes, you'll have to watch out for that. Particularly watch lighting from the top, if she doesn't get direct facial lighting, you may have a semi- raccoon, lol. If you get the Lisa Textures, you'll be very happy with them. You probably saw those over in my studio and in the official Josie thread. Your renders are coming along nicely :)

edited December 1969

Novica said:

Not to hijack the thread, just wanted to let you know I viewed it and I love the camera angle you did with it. Very tastefully done :)

edited December 1969

Starionwolf, one suggestion if I might- go to Surfaces tab/ Diffuse and change the diffuse of the teeth to a very light grayish blue, unless you wanted the bright Pepsodent smile. Some folks do.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Novica said:

Not to hijack the thread, just wanted to let you know I viewed it and I love the camera angle you did with it. Very tastefully done :)Thanks. The original camera angle ended up making the line of the shower door run right down her face and body. It took over 60 hours to render because of the glass and water shaders.

edited November 2013

edit: image deleted because I uploaded a better version