Carrara 8.5 Serial Number No Longer Valid ♦♦NEW SERIAL NUMBER IN YOUR LIST NOW♦♦

Comments

• JamyJamy Posts: 192
    edited December 1969

Carrara 8.5 ne fonctionne plus avec le numéro de série acheté, j'en n'est marre de ce putain de bordel de programme de merde qui a toujours quelque chose qui ne va pas. Si je n'y avais pas laissé tous ce fric il y a longtemps que j'en aurais changé. Pire que bien des logiciels gratuits en beta. Passe plus de temps à régler les problèmes, à trouver un manuel que de bosser avec. Un logiciel réservé aux anglophones niveaux ingénieurs. Ca fait au moins 10 ans que je m'en sert; mais c'est de pire en pire...une pompe à fric qui ne fonctionne jamais correctement. La preuve, jamais aucun developeurs ne sort un plugin pour carrara. Même un simple export objet sur sculpteo ne fonctionne pas. Un logiciel à part pour des gens à part. Des années que je paye pour le pc machin chose en espérant une mise à jour digne de ce nom. J'ai été servis.

Un énervement bien compréhensible.

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Hello folks, let me join the queue :-(

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2013

We are trying to find volunteers to man a refreshments trolley, to sustain those people who are waiting in the queue :coolsmirk:

Post edited by Chohole on
  • gellenburggellenburg Posts: 17
    edited December 1969

This does it.

I'm requesting a refund.

This has been the worst software release ever.

1) Didn't receive full discount amount. It's been 7+ days and nobody has even acknowledged my support ticket on this one.
    2) Finally received a serial number after 4 days (again without even so much as an acknowledgment on a SEPARATE support ticket on this incident).
    3) and now, the serial number I did receive… from "My Serial Numbers" page on My Account has stopped working.

Between Vue, Modo, and ZBrush, I don't need this.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,830
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    We are trying to find volunteers to man a refreshments trolley, to sustain those people who are waiting in the queue :coolsmirk:

I'd render some refreshments for you, but ... I can't use Carrara because it's started rejecting my serial number. :(

What's the best thing to do? Should we file individual support tickets so that they can issue everyone affected with new serial numbers? Or should we count on DAZ finding a solution for everyone's problems (in the form of a blanket re-issue of new serial numbers, or a patch for the app)?

• dr_berniedr_bernie Posts: 0
    edited September 2013

My guess is that DAZ uses an automated system to generate SN's for Carrara. The system has a 'Valid Until' checkbox with a date field to enter the validity date.

They used this system to generate SN's for the beta versions with the 'Valid Until' box checked and 09-01-2013 as the last validity date.

When they released Carrara 8.5 production, they forgot to uncheck this checkbox, hence the problem. I think ALL the generated SN's are invalid.

Hopefully the solution should be very simple: Re-issue SN's (with the 'Valid Until' box uncheched) and that should fix the problem.

Post edited by dr_bernie on
  • RhysF117RhysF117 Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

dr_bernie said:
    My guess is that DAZ uses an automated system to generate SN's for Carrara. The system has a 'Valid Until' checkbox with a date field to enter the validity date.

They used this system to generate SN's for the beta versions with the 'Valid Until' box checked and 09-01-2013 as the last validity date.

When they released Carrara 8.5 production, they forgot to uncheck this checkbox, hence the problem. I think ALL the generated SN's are invalid.

Hopefully the solution should be very simple: Re-issue SN's (with the 'Valid Until' box uncheched) and that should fix the problem.

either way they better fix it soon, as I am at the end of my rope, I needed this to work and now it's putting me back on my project, otherwise I'm just going to request a refund on it, i don't have to put up with all of this.

edited December 1969

vincent09 said:
    dr_bernie said:

either way they better fix it soon, as I am at the end of my rope, I needed this to work and now it's putting me back on my project, otherwise I'm just going to request a refund on it, i don't have to put up with all of this.

Maybe you can use this trick to get your work done until they fix it?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/420308/

edited December 1969

Thanks, it works, but i should't have to figure out a damn work around while they piss about.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Mine either :(

edited December 1969

angusm said:
    chohole said:

I'd render some refreshments for you, but ... I can't use Carrara because it's started rejecting my serial number. :(

What's the best thing to do? Should we file individual support tickets so that they can issue everyone affected with new serial numbers? Or should we count on DAZ finding a solution for everyone's problems (in the form of a blanket re-issue of new serial numbers, or a patch for the app)?

As we are sending requests in all directions I think that it would be better to wait and let us get the problems sorted out, rather than sending umpteen support tickets to an already overloaded Customer service department, please.

• Rich GellesRich Gelles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes this kind of things happens with DAZ all the time it seems. They will fix it up but not sure today as is a holiday in US. I just went back and fiddled with 8.1 in the mean time but I was not working on a project. For those folks who were hopefully the "trick" works for you.

I would get upset but it's just DAZ being Spaz. It happens maybe too often but despite all the issues now and then I still like Carrara for all the possibilties for me to acheive. Sure -you can move on if you get so frustarted with them but bottom line Carrara has ease of use and decent power for a low price.

So hopefully it gets fixed in not so DAZ soon. Smiles.

rich

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    As we are sending requests in all directions I think that it would be better to wait and let us get the problems sorted out, rather than sending umpteen support tickets to an already overloaded Customer service department, please.

Got it.

Thanks for staying on top of this, Chohole.

I suppose this will force me to do what I should actually be doing today, rather than playing with Carrara all day. I suppose I could do the clock-trick, but maybe it's better to take this as a sign from Above to stop screwing around and get some stuff done.

edited December 1969

sorry guys, just a little on edge and been about 52 hours without sleep

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Already submitted separate support ticket before I saw this.

• RealtimeRealtime Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

Same here.
    A holiday - one of the few days that I set aside to jump into the newly purchased Carrara 8.5 This is an "official release" that I officially paid for.
    Still I am unable to use because of an expiring serial number. beyond frustrating.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    angusm said:
    chohole said:

Actually individual support tickets would be a good way to make sure everybody that has this issue is documented, in case DAZ decides to do the right thing and compensate their customers for the hassle they've had to go through. Remember, customer support is there for a reason, and no offense, but you're really just a forum moderator and volunteer, not a representative of the business end of DAZ and maybe shouldn't be telling people to hold off on filing support tickets.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited September 2013

The clock trick works..,. and I have Windows. It's a no-brainer. I didn't have to change it back for emails either, they are going out under the right date. It's only the calendar from your tray you need to roll back.

I'm just thankful there IS a workaround that some thoughtful people here came up with. That does not relieve DAZ of any responsibility and need for apology or to offer a nice coupon to all for a discount as compensation, but I am just very thankful that posters here cared enough to offer help to work around things. I have coursework due this week...so it took major stress off to be able to continue to work on my model today.

Sorry, but I'm from the bad old days in the 80s and early 90s working with software where you had NO network of people to consult when things went pear-shaped!

Keep calm and Carrara on :) SileneUK

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    angusm said:
    chohole said:

Actually individual support tickets would be a good way to make sure everybody that has this issue is documented, in case DAZ decides to do the right thing and compensate their customers for the hassle they've had to go through. Remember, customer support is there for a reason, and no offense, but you're really just a forum moderator and volunteer, not a representative of the business end of DAZ and maybe shouldn't be telling people to hold off on filing support tickets.

But don't you think that the poor customer service staff are going to have enough to do already, without dealing with this extra burden, when we are already trying to make certain that this issue is being highlighted to the right people.

edited December 1969

I think ALL serial numbers become invalid beginning 09-02-2013. If you buy Carrara 8.5 right now and try to use it, it will tell you that your SN is invalid.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    chohole said:
    angusm said:
    chohole said:

But don't you think that the poor customer service staff are going to have enough to do already, without dealing with this extra burden, when we are already trying to make certain that this issue is being highlighted to the right people.

I'm sorry, but that's what they're paid for- customer support. I'm not saying go into it with smoke coming out of your ears and temple veins throbbing, but I think DAZ needs to know the level of their screw up.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

I'm sorry, but that's what they're paid for- customer support. I'm not saying go into it with smoke coming out of your ears and temple veins throbbing, but I think DAZ needs to know the level of their screw up.

I rather imagine that someone at DAZ is already sitting there going "Oh God, oh God ..." and desperately trying to work out how they can change their name and fly to Brazil.

If you do write to support to 'document your concerns', remember to be polite and understanding rather than rude and angry. Not simply because it's the right thing to do, but also because it will get your problem solved faster if you're nice to them. I have a rule in life that there are certain kinds of people who you always want to have on your side, because they are the people in an organization who actually make everything happen. If they like you, things tend to go smoothly; if they don't, they have the power to make your life miserable. My core list consists of "sergeants, secretaries, and system administrators", but I think "support people" probably belong there too.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited September 2013

I can see EP's point here. DAZ should have records of everybody who bought via the store, and could simply issue new SNs into all of our accounts and follow up with an email to the inbox on record. "Should." "Could."

We don't know if they will or won't. If DAZ doesn't do this programatically, then the only way to "know" if a person was put out is if they had opened a support ticket.

Again...NOBODY in this company was "on call" for catastrophic widespread emergencies? Is this merely a playtoy product? DAZ really likes to promote (Carrara at least) as a professional level product, right?

DAZ may observe the US Labor Day holiday and that's their right. But they have customers in the US and worldwide who might be freelance and/or just don't observe US holidays and for whom today is a day of normal business. Normal, COMMERCIAL business. I am on call for my company today; it's a holiday, but if my company has a serious IT problem with any of the systems I support, well then my holiday will be over with. That's how it works when you're serious about your products and services.

If you want to compete with the big dogs, get out from under the porch. Put somebody on call for production problems and authorize that person to make decisions on bringing other people in for widespread emergencies.

Even if it's just to publish the "clock trick" as a circumvention/temporary solution fully supported and endorsed by DAZ.

angusm said:
    I rather imagine that someone at DAZ is already sitting there going "Oh God, oh God ..." and desperately trying to work out how they can change their name and fly to Brazil.

If you do write to support to 'document your concerns', remember to be polite and understanding rather than rude and angry. Not simply because it's the right thing to do, but also because it will get your problem solved faster if you're nice to them. I have a rule in life that there are certain kinds of people who you always want to have on your side, because they are the people in an organization who actually make everything happen. If they like you, things tend to go smoothly; if they don't, they have the power to make your life miserable. My core list consists of "sergeants, secretaries, and system administrators", but I think "support people" probably belong there too.

Always a good rule to live by. I know somebody who got hired solely because the hiring manager's secretary said she liked him. The boss ran all candidates through the "Secretary BS-o-meter". She said he was polite and didn't make her feel bad for having a thick accent, so he got hired!

Other vocations that can impact your life for better or for (a lot) worse:

Your waitress or waiter. Yep!
    Your sushi chef.
    Okay, anybody who touches your food, sushi or not.
    The Janitor staff. These people have access to your desk when it's dark and nobody else is around!
    Your car mechanic.
    The guy or gal rewiring your house electricity.
    ...or your plumbing...or sewage!
    Your garbage collector and your kids' teachers. Yeah, I lump those together....

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • PjotterPjotter Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

I hope we do not have the same mess with C9.

• PiratesMoonPiratesMoon Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    chohole said:
    angusm said:
    chohole said:

I disagree. To overload them with a "denial of service attack" is not a fruitful approach.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

I disagree. To overload them with a "denial of service attack" is not a fruitful approach.

I have not opened a ticket myself. Yet.

But I will tell you that my company requires a ticket for all problems, and this is policy. It's not considered a denial-of-service attack to open a ticket on a widespread or well-known problem. We also have a ticket tracking system that allows the help desk people to link "same problem tickets" together, so that when the "master ticket" gets fixed, then the others can be closed too, if appropriate.

edited December 1969

angusm said:
    chohole said:

I agree, you will catch more bees with honey than with vinegar, but I really disagree with the idea that you shouldn't file a support ticket because the forum moderators sent an e-mail or some other communication to DAZ honchos. It does a disservice to DAZ and its customers, and quite frankly I don't think the Mods are authorized to use their position to tell customers to hold off on filing a support ticket just because they don't want to work customer support too hard. I'm pretty sure it's a bit out of their authority and I'm sure that behind the scenes any DAZ official that sees a post like that is wincing and wondering if Brazil is really far enough away. ;-)

I would be polite, customer support didn't cause this snafu, after all. However, filing a support ticket will cover your bases and let DAZ know in quantifiable terms how many customers were effected by this. That way, when it comes to discussion of QA controls to put in place, they can look at the data- from customers that filed a support ticket for a new serial number and also from customers that were so pissed off they demanded a refund- God forbid, all we need is less Carrara users!

Now this is just my opinion that I'm expressing, just as it was Chohole's opinion about holding off on filing the support tickets. I think it would help if she edited her post to reflect that it's a personal opinion, so that it doesn't come across as an official opinion and thus confuse any new users who are discovering this issue this morning and come here looking for help.

• NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have just hit this issue when installing Carrara on Windows 8.1 as I was doing a clean install, I will hold off making a support ticket for 24 hours after that CS will be getting both barrels, until them I will give them some time, holiday or not, this is an epic **** up

edited December 1969

Now who said anything about an attack? How is exercising your rights as a paying customer an attack? Please, explain.

As a customer, it is your right and DAZ's responsibility to make good on any promises they make. That's why there's a customer support dept. For customer support. You have a EULA and TOS you have to agree to when using any software, DAZ or otherwise. You have a responsibility to follow the contract, and so does DAZ. Customer support is the avenue they provide for that.

In addition, as I said in a previous post, data is important. Companies make decisions based on hard data, not on how many people bitch on a forum about how they were screwed and going to get their money back. DAZ will want to know how many people actually did return Carrara over this issue. They will also want to know other data as well. All that information will help DAZ decide on what controls to put in place to prevent this from happening again, or mitigating the effects if it were to happen again.

So again, how is what I am saying a DNS attack? ;-)

• NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well any sort of load might make their servers fall over :) %-P