ManFriday's Content Bookmarks [Commercial]

Comments

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 549

If the install does not seem to have worked and you don't see the "Bookmarks" menu, here's a couple of hints:

1. Please check that the DLL is in the plugins subdirectory of your Daz Studio software installation. In other words, you should have a file C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\MF_contentbm.dll or similar. If that DLL is not there, then the install didn't work at all. I don't make the installers myself and can't easily tell what goes wrong, so please file a support ticket with Daz in that case.
    2. If the DLL is there, then you should also have the PDF under C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\docs\Plugins\MF Content Bookmarks. For plugins, the Daz convention seems to be that their documentation is copied to the Daz Studio docs subdirectory. That PDF has additional instructions, which I'm copying here:
    3. If the DLL is there, please check under “Help” → “About installed plugins” that there is an item called “ManFriday’s Content Bookmarks” in the list, and that it shows a green plug. Otherwise something's wrong with the install as well. The only time I've seen the entry present but not green is if a 32-bit DLL got installed on a 64-bit Daz or vice versa.
    4. If the plugin is listed and green, but the menu is still not there, to add the menu item manually, go to “Window” → “Workspace” → “Customize” (F3 hotkey by default) to bring up Daz Studio’s actions and menu customization. In the tree on the left, you should see a new item “ManFriday’s Content Bookmarks” with the two actions under it. In the right half of the window, click on the “Menus” tab and expand the “Main Menu Bar” item at the top. Create a new “Bookmarks” menu and drag the items from the left into that new menu and press “Apply” and “Accept”. Alternatively, in the main menu, select “Window” → “Workspace” → “Update and merge menus”. That should force adding the “Bookmarks” menu, but this variant might destroy your other custom menu items if you have any.

Hope that helps!

• IllidanstormIllidanstorm Posts: 655

@ManFriday

I just bought it and it works very nice. Thanks :)

Could you maybe add an option to add a serparator? I want to sort it by G2/G3 and G8 and a serparator would be nice.

edited May 2019

@ManFriday

I just bought it and it works very nice. Thanks :)

Could you maybe add an option to add a serparator? I want to sort it by G2/G3 and G8 and a serparator would be nice.

I can do that, but for now you can do that yourself. Press F3 for the Daz "Customize Daz Studio" dialog, click on "Menus" at the top right, "Main menu bar" at the top, then expand the "Bookmarks" menu, select the item after which you would like a separator, right-click on it, "Add Separator". Then press Apply and Accept in the dialog.

I'm glad you like it!

Post edited by ManFriday on
  • Blacky13Blacky13 Posts: 67
    Blacky13 said:

There is a PDF manual mentioned... where can I find it at? I can use the product just fine, but I would like to give it a read.

Thanks!

I founf the PDF in:   C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\docs\Plugins\MF Content Bookmarks

Hey thanks!

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556
    ManFriday said:

If the install does not seem to have worked and you don't see the "Bookmarks" menu, here's a couple of hints:

1. Please check that the DLL is in the plugins subdirectory of your Daz Studio software installation. In other words, you should have a file C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\MF_contentbm.dll or similar. If that DLL is not there, then the install didn't work at all. I don't make the installers myself and can't easily tell what goes wrong, so please file a support ticket with Daz in that case.

Ticket submitted. Thanks for your assistance.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

I bought the product and it looks incredibly useful, but if I can make a request:  I find it really inconvenient when the only way to read a manual is to down load the product and then dig through the content folders, so a faster route to the documentation would be really appreciated.  For future products, could you atach the actual manual to the product documentation page or some other location so that I can download JUST that if I wanted to read through it before installing?   . 

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

I'm playing with this now and it's a great product, but to make it even better it should install two bookmarks menus on the toolbar - one for things that you use all the time and one for things that you are use all the itime (the top of the G3F and G38 menus, Shaders, or a one of your product catgegories, and one for quickie bookmarks for the particular project you happen to be workin on at the momen... like the foot pose for a particular set of shoes so that you can quickly re-apply it after re-posing the figure. I've configured the base bookmark folder to have a submenu for this right now, and it really helps keep your main bookmarks toolbar from getting too cluttered.. 

• CerragCerrag Posts: 242

This is an Excellent utility!  So far I'm using it as a project bookmarker, where I bookmark all the areas I'm working with on a current project and when I'm done with that project, I just remove those bookmarks.  Talk about a huge timesaver!  And I like that it's really easy and fast to use and IMO, has already paid for itself.  smiley

• jimmyzpopjimmyzpop Posts: 116
    edited May 2019

Duplicate post. 

Post edited by jimmyzpop on
  • jimmyzpopjimmyzpop Posts: 116

Holy crap!!! This one of the best utilities that I own! Been wanting something like this for a long time. Extremely versatile for bookmarking folders,Characters / assets, scenes and more. Creating sub menus has drastically increase my work flow and a time saver. This is a must buy for every daz owner. Thanks ManFriday. yes 

Also, I DIM installed and works great. 

ManFriday said:

Where are the Bookmarks saved? I'm asking because if one is reinstalling DS, can one re-use saved bookmarks?

The bookmarks are regular custom actions with a little bit of scripting. You can see them under "Custom" in the Daz Studio "Customize" (F3) dialog at the top left, and then they are inserted into a new "Bookmarks" menu. So if you export your actions and menus though the "Export" button of that dialog and import it on another machine, that should work.

I seem to remember reading about the XML files where this is stored but I can't find that info right now. I'm pretty sure there's a way to copy and paste this information too, but I'll have to dig some more. Maybe someone else can help out too. :-)

Replying to @DoctorJellybean 's original question, I found the post again where I read about the XML files where the custom actions are stored: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4581896/#Comment_4581896

Hope that helps!

jimmyzpop said:

Holy crap!!! This one of the best utilities that I own! Been wanting something like this for a long time. Extremely versatile for bookmarking folders,Characters / assets, scenes and more. Creating sub menus has drastically increase my work flow and a time saver. This is a must buy for every daz owner. Thanks ManFriday. yes 

Also, I DIM installed and works great. 

Thanks everyone for the kind words, they‘re much appreciated and motivate me to release more tools!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,850

More tools will be nice - just wonder, what you will come up next.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,918
    ManFriday said:
    ManFriday said:

Where are the Bookmarks saved? I'm asking because if one is reinstalling DS, can one re-use saved bookmarks?

The bookmarks are regular custom actions with a little bit of scripting. You can see them under "Custom" in the Daz Studio "Customize" (F3) dialog at the top left, and then they are inserted into a new "Bookmarks" menu. So if you export your actions and menus though the "Export" button of that dialog and import it on another machine, that should work.

I seem to remember reading about the XML files where this is stored but I can't find that info right now. I'm pretty sure there's a way to copy and paste this information too, but I'll have to dig some more. Maybe someone else can help out too. :-)

Replying to @DoctorJellybean 's original question, I found the post again where I read about the XML files where the custom actions are stored: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4581896/#Comment_4581896

Hope that helps!

Thanks!

• gbmorphsgbmorphs Posts: 33

Love this TOOL! Just one questions. When it saves it seems to force me to save images as PNGs. I have the scene set to TIFFS. Is there an option to make all saves as TIFFs, I prefer it if possible. Otherwise this is a fantastic tool!

gbmorphs said:

Love this TOOL! Just one questions. When it saves it seems to force me to save images as PNGs. I have the scene set to TIFFS. Is there an option to make all saves as TIFFs, I prefer it if possible. Otherwise this is a fantastic tool!

I'm assuming you're talking about my Render Queue product, not the Content Bookmarks. I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that there is anyone not using the PNG format. I'm afraid the PNG extension is hard-coded into several places. I'll have a look if that can be fixed for a future update But for now the only fix I can suggest is using an external converter that converts PNGs to TIFFs. There shouldn't be a quality loss since PNG uses lossless compression.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

I can't find a Readme file for this product in the Daz documentation center.

edited June 2019
    barbult said:

I can't find a Readme file for this product in the Daz documentation center.

Hm. I'm not sure what's going on here. With the Render Queue, A link to the PDF is here: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/59787/start and the PDF is at http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/59787/59787_renderqueue_v1.1.pdf .

This seems to be broken for the Content Bookmarks. I'll ping Daz to see what happened.

However, after installation, documentation for plugins is also copied to the Daz Studio installation directory, so you should have the PDF in the C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\docs\Plugins\MF Content Bookmarks directory or similar.

Post edited by ManFriday on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,733
    edited June 2019

Great tool, but I'm having a minor problem with it. It registers the My Library folder correctly when I add it, but when I try to access that folder from the menu, nothing happens.

ETA: just found out that if I map a folder inside the My Library folder it works, so maybe it just doesn't work when trying to map standard base folders. Some base folders, like Daz Studio Formats also just create a blank entry in the menu.

content_bookmarks-my_library.jpg
    658 x 309 - 64K
    Post edited by Taoz on
    Taoz said:

Great tool, but I'm having a minor problem with it. It registers the My Library folder correctly when I add it, but when I try to access that folder from the menu, nothing happens.

ETA: just found out that if I map a folder inside the My Library folder it works, so maybe it just doesn't work when trying to map standard base folders. Some base folders, like Daz Studio Formats also just create a blank entry in the menu.

It works for me with a path like E:\_Scenes

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,733
    Taoz said:

I've tried F:\test, it picks it up but doesn't go there when I select it.

content_bookmarks-test_folder.jpg
    380 x 140 - 20K
    Taoz said:
    Taoz said:

I think you are correct. My previous statement that E:\_Scenes  works doesn't seem to be true. Try this: create a folder inside F:\test and bookmark that new folder. If that works, then it seems that root\base folders don't work, but sub folders do. In my case E:\_Scenes\Poses work, but E:\_Scenes doesn't.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556
    rrward said:
    ManFriday said:

Well, they were no help. But I did figure it out: My download archive for DIM is on a network share. DIM can't run installers with internal executable files from a network share. Found this out when Stuidio 4.11 wouldn't install. Moved the download archive to a local disk and the installer ran fine.

rrward said:
    rrward said:
    ManFriday said:

Well, they were no help. But I did figure it out: My download archive for DIM is on a network share. DIM can't run installers with internal executable files from a network share. Found this out when Stuidio 4.11 wouldn't install. Moved the download archive to a local disk and the installer ran fine.

Now that you mention it I had the same problem too about a year ago. Should have reported it then and will do it now.

Taoz said:
    Taoz said:

I think you are correct. My previous statement that E:\_Scenes  works doesn't seem to be true. Try this: create a folder inside F:\test and bookmark that new folder. If that works, then it seems that root\base folders don't work, but sub folders do. In my case E:\_Scenes\Poses work, but E:\_Scenes doesn't.

I can confirm this. Sorry, this slipped through my testing. I'll have a look if something can be done about this.

• MinktKXMinktKX Posts: 6

Thank you for the very useful utility.

However, loading layouts  (menu Window - Workspace + Select Layout )

often results in the loss of bookmarks.

• ManFriday said:

Nice!

Can one rename the bookmarks, so it displays e.g. Converted Clothing instead of E:\_Converted Clothing\_G8F?

In Daz's F3 dialog, you can do that already now by editing the bookmark's custom action at the top left under "Custom". I have an update for the plugin ready here that will also allow you to do that in the "Edit bookmarks" dialog directly. I am planning to push that update to Daz in a couple of days.

Any sign of the update being implemented..?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

Thanks for describing the location of the installed product documentation. I have bugged customer service again about the missing online readme file for this product. Every product should have a readme file accessible from the Daz Documentation Center.

I apologize for not getting the update release out yet. I am currently traveling on a two week holiday and got too busy with other projects before leaving. I‘ll get back to the updates as soon as I return!

• dougjdougj Posts: 92
    ManFriday said:

In Daz's F3 dialog, you can do that already now by editing the bookmark's custom action at the top left under "Custom". I have an update for the plugin ready here that will also allow you to do that in the "Edit bookmarks" dialog directly. I am planning to push that update to Daz in a couple of days.

Is there still a plan to update this plugin?  I think it would be nice if we could rename from within the plugin.