ManFriday's Content Bookmarks [Commercial]

Comments

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 549
    edited July 2019
    dougj said:
    ManFriday said:

In Daz's F3 dialog, you can do that already now by editing the bookmark's custom action at the top left under "Custom". I have an update for the plugin ready here that will also allow you to do that in the "Edit bookmarks" dialog directly. I am planning to push that update to Daz in a couple of days.

Is there still a plan to update this plugin?  I think it would be nice if we could rename from within the plugin.

I have submitted an update to Daz, it‘s in their queue for publishing. Give it a few more days :-)

Post edited by ManFriday on
  • dougjdougj Posts: 92
    ManFriday said:
    dougj said:
    ManFriday said:

In Daz's F3 dialog, you can do that already now by editing the bookmark's custom action at the top left under "Custom". I have an update for the plugin ready here that will also allow you to do that in the "Edit bookmarks" dialog directly. I am planning to push that update to Daz in a couple of days.

Is there still a plan to update this plugin?  I think it would be nice if we could rename from within the plugin.

I have submitted an update to Daz, it‘s in their queue for publishing. Give it a few more days :-)

Thanks for the update on the status of the update. Great plugin btw.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,705

Stupid question, what does this do?  I see there is F3 and there is this product.  What is the difference?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,918

Stupid question, what does this do?  I see there is F3 and there is this product.  What is the difference?

Basically one select a folder in the Content Library and Bookmark it. So the next time you want that folder, you simply select the Bookmark and it will be opened instead of browsing through the folders. At the moment it doesn't work with root folders, I don't know if the PA has found a fix for it.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

I can't get this to bookmark any Content Library folders under Daz Studio Formats/Daz Connect. It creates a custom action and a bookmark entry, but they are blank and don't do anything. Help, please!

barbult said:

I can't get this to bookmark any Content Library folders under Daz Studio Formats/Daz Connect. It creates a custom action and a bookmark entry, but they are blank and don't do anything. Help, please!

Which version of Daz Studio are you running? Did it use to work and broke recently?

ManFriday said:
    barbult said:

Which version of Daz Studio are you running? Did it use to work and broke recently?

I am running 4.11.0.383 Release. I hadn't tried bookmarking a Daz Connect Content Library folder before, so it is not a case of something that used to work suddenly failing.I hope you can get that working. I install almost everything with Daz Connect.

It does work to bookmark a product installed with Daz Connect. But, because some vendors organize things in specific folders, it is sometimes much more useful to use the Content Library folder under Daz Studio Formats, than the Product folder, where everything is jumbled together.

barbult said:

Are the folders a root, e.g. D:\, etc?

barbult said:

Thanks for helping, DoctorJellybean. It is not a root folder (I'm aware of that limitation). I can't make a functioning bookmark from any folder or any asset item under Daz Studio Formats/Daz Connect in the Content Library. For example, I tried drilling down to People/Genesis 3 Female folder. It just adds a blank bookmark title that does nothing. Same problem for the Genesis 3 Female figure itself (content item, not folder). Another strange thing is that it lists the bookmark Type as Product, not Daz Studio format. In the F3 Customize Daz Studio interface, it shows the added custom actions with blank names. So, a custom action was created, but it doesn't work.

I am attaching screenshots of the bookmark list and the Edit Custom Action (from F3 Customize Daz Studio).

Screenshot 2019-07-24 12.42.25.png
    879 x 380 - 21K
    Screenshot 2019-07-24 12.45.25.png
    726 x 339 - 19K
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Thanks for helping, DoctorJellybean. It is not a root folder (I'm aware of that limitation). I can't make a functioning bookmark from any folder or any asset item under Daz Studio Formats/Daz Connect in the Content Library. For example, I tried drilling down to People/Genesis 3 Female folder. It just adds a blank bookmark title that does nothing. Same problem for the Genesis 3 Female figure itself (content item, not folder). Another strange thing is that it lists the bookmark Type as Product, not Daz Studio format. In the F3 Customize Daz Studio interface, it shows the added custom actions with blank names. So, a custom action was created, but it doesn't work.

I am attaching screenshots of the bookmark list and the Edit Custom Action (from F3 Customize Daz Studio).

Confirmed on my end.

barbult said:
    barbult said:

Yes, you've hit a bug. I don't use Daz Connect myself so I didn't test for that. Unfortunately it won't be fixed in the update I submitted to Daz last week, but at least you'll get an error message on creating the bookmark now.

ManFriday said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Yes, you've hit a bug. I don't use Daz Connect myself so I didn't test for that. Unfortunately it won't be fixed in the update I submitted to Daz last week, but at least you'll get an error message on creating the bookmark now.

Does that mean that you will try to fix it in a future update? You only need to install a single product with Daz Connect to be able to test this. Once you think you have it working, I will be happy to beta test it for you. 

Daz Connect has been part of Daz Studio for a long long time now. I wonder why Daz QA doesn't check for Daz Connect compatibility when testing new products. That would certainly help avoid customer frustration and returns of products.

barbult said:
    ManFriday said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Does that mean that you will try to fix it in a future update? You only need to install a single product with Daz Connect to be able to test this. Once you think you have it working, I will be happy to beta test it for you. 

Daz Connect has been part of Daz Studio for a long long time now. I wonder why Daz QA doesn't check for Daz Connect compatibility when testing new products. That would certainly help avoid customer frustration and returns of products.

Thank you for your offer. The reason that this didn't work is that I never use Daz Connect and so I wasn't aware that the Daz Connect items show up under "Daz Studio Formats". I'll have a look whether I find a way to bookmark these items too but I'm already relying on undocumented features to get the existing bookmarks to work, so I can't guarantee I'll find something.

Just a heads up that the long-promised update is in the store now. If you bought the product previously, it should show up in DIM.

Changes in the update are:

• Allow renaming bookmark in the “Edit bookmarks” dialog.
    • Show an error message when trying to create a bookmark for a Daz Studio base folder or empty product or category instead of creating a bookmark that silently won’t work afterwards. (This error message now appears for Daz Connect folders as well, even though I wasn't aware of them.)
    ManFriday said:

Just a heads up that the long-promised update is in the store now. If you bought the product previously, it should show up in DIM.

Changes in the update are:

• Allow renaming bookmark in the “Edit bookmarks” dialog.
    • Show an error message when trying to create a bookmark for a Daz Studio base folder or empty product or category instead of creating a bookmark that silently won’t work afterwards. (This error message now appears for Daz Connect folders as well, even though I wasn't aware of them.)

Thanks for the notification of the update. No update in DIM yet for me. I'll check again later in the day or tomorrow.

Any info/progress on the Daz Connect issue? (I know it doesn't make it into the current update).

Still no update in DIM.

I'm wondering whether I have the correct (latest) update or not. The version says 1.1.1, (built 2019-07-07). Is that the latest one?

• barbult said:

I'm wondering whether I have the correct (latest) update or not. The version says 1.1.1, (built 2019-07-07). Is that the latest one?

Yep

barbult said:

Yep

Thank you for confirmation!

• I've just reinstalled Windows and DS, and getting an error when trying to create a Bookmark.

Scenes is a mapped base folder, but Mata Hari isn't. It is a subfolder.

I did get around it by bookmarking a subfolder of Mata Hari and editing the script in DS.

Bookmark Error.jpg
    502 x 96 - 20K
  • And it looks like that the script doesn't like a customized Menu bar entry. Let me explain.

Instead of having multiple ManFriday plugin entries on the Menu Bar, I created a ManFriday entry using F3 on the Menu Bar, and moved the Bookmarks entry to that. Now when I try to edit or add an entry, it complains that it can't find the Bookmarks Menu.

I've just reinstalled Windows and DS, and getting an error when trying to create a Bookmark.

Scenes is a mapped base folder, but Mata Hari isn't. It is a subfolder.

I did get around it by bookmarking a subfolder of Mata Hari and editing the script in DS.

Thank you for the report, I'll have a look at that.

And it looks like that the script doesn't like a customized Menu bar entry. Let me explain.

Instead of having multiple ManFriday plugin entries on the Menu Bar, I created a ManFriday entry using F3 on the Menu Bar, and moved the Bookmarks entry to that. Now when I try to edit or add an entry, it complains that it can't find the Bookmarks Menu.

The plugin looks up the "Bookmars" menu by name in the main menu bar. If you rename it or move it into a submenu, then the plugin gets lost, I guess. A smarter solution would probably be that the plugin look up in which menu its own "Create bookmark" menu item resides, wherever that is, and place the new bookmark there. I'll have a look at that too.

• LimunLimun Posts: 182

This is great , thanks a lot man

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,733

I have this installed in DS 4.10, is there a way to also install it in DS 4.12 beta?

• Taoz said:

I have this installed in DS 4.10, is there a way to also install it in DS 4.12 beta?

Just uninstall and reinstall the Bookmarks plugin, it'll then show up in the Beta.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861
    edited August 2019

I have recently lost all my bookmarks and custom actions, as well.

I have only changed the screen connected to the computer, so I do not know, why Daz Studio thinks, it is a time to remove that items, as well.

How these bookmarks are saved on the computer?

Are they saved in the file, that one could use to recover those bookmarks from it?

Post edited by Artini on
  • ManFriday will have to explain how and where the bookmarks are saved. In the meantime, if you want to install it an easier way in the beta, in Windows Explorer go to

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins

Copy the MF_contentbm.dll file and paste it into

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Beta\plugins

You'll have to manually add it to the menu bar tho, explanation is somewhere in the first pages I think.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861

Thanks for the tips, Doctor Jellybean. I will try that and see what happens.

edited August 2019

ManFriday will have to explain how and where the bookmarks are saved. In the meantime, if you want to install it an easier way in the beta, in Windows Explorer go to

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins

Copy the MF_contentbm.dll file and paste it into

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Beta\plugins

You'll have to manually add it to the menu bar tho, explanation is somewhere in the first pages I think.

Funny, I didn't actually know where that stuff was stored until now. I am not doing any of the storing myself; I create custom actions in Daz Studio, and Daz Studio seems to save them at C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4/ (depending on your version) in the customactions.dsx and menus.dsx files. It looks like the menus.dsx references the custom actions by UUID. So you could back up and restore these two files. Hand-editing to restore only some items looks more risky; I would recommend using the "Customize Daz Studio" (F3) dialog. That has Export and Import buttons at the bottom too, by the way. Hope that helps!

Post edited by ManFriday on