Hylas' corner

Comments

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

Good to see you back, Hylas! laugh Not that I've been around too much for a while either!

Hey, the guy in your latest image looks a bit like Captain Kronos (Hammer Film version), just a bit more muscular! 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,779

WinterMoon said:

Hey, the guy in your latest image looks a bit like Captain Kronos (Hammer Film version), just a bit more muscular! 

Was not familiar with him, but yeah, I can see it! I think the hair does some of the work here.

Gallery Link

Procrastination render with character I got for the Halloween treat.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I got a render going right now with one of my 2 Halloween Treats!!!

Yours looks amazing @Hylas!!

Saphirewild said:

Can't wait to see it, maybe post it over in Commons!

Hylas said:

Saphirewild said:

Can't wait to see it, maybe post it over in Commons!

Maybe I will once I get it done I had to stop it and going to redo it today!!

I'm hosting another freebie challenge, come and join us!

My freebie challenge cover renders are always a little half-assed, but it is what it is laugh

And here's the one from August that I forgot to post here:

Just wanted to let you know I posted my first Halloween treat over in the Commons!

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited November 2022

Hylas said:

vrba79 said:

Hylas said:

^ Yes, it's VSS

Then I am using it all wrong...

I can never get it to look right on dark skinned characters like that. How'd you pull that off?

Well, I´ve only just started using VSS so I´m not exactly an expert...

I do find adjusting the skin colour with VSS tedious because one has to adjust 7 different parameters and they all have to be in harmony with each other.

But one thing that I love about 3DL - and I will be using this for my IRAY renders as well going forward - is that it´s really easy to make masks. Just delete all lights, remove all maps except opacity maps, colour everything either white with 100% ambience or black with 0% ambience, and you get a really crisp mask. So I adjusted the skintone of the character in post with help of a mask until it looked like I wanted it to.

The one thing I love about 3DL is that, when you do the reverse, you get some really nice shadow renders. I used this technique to do some shadow renders to simulate those old silhouette portraits. Does anyone remember those or am I too old? They used to be very popular back in the day. My mom had silhouettes made for all three of us kids when I was younger.

ETA: And I think I'm all caught up with your thread. Some really nice renders in here. I dropped a few hearts in the gallery and made some comments. I really hate that the forums no longer make it easy to do multiple quotes in replies. It was just easier to comment on images in the gallery.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on

Knittingmommy said:

And I think I'm all caught up with your thread. Some really nice renders in here. I dropped a few hearts in the gallery and made some comments.

Thanks, that's very sweet of you :)

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,172

It's a nice render, but all my VFX brain sees is the lightning not emitting any light.

edited November 2022

Gordig said:

It's a nice render, but all my VFX brain sees is the lightning not emitting any light.

Funny enough they actually are emissives in the scene and not post work... just not bright enough I guess.

Anyway, you are right but it doesn't bother me :)

Post edited by Hylas on
    edited November 2022

Gallery link

I've been screwing around with GenX again lately. I barely know what I'm doing. I just about manage to (very inaccurately) transfer most Gen4 characters to G8 and might be showing some of them off in the coming days.

But some characters just won't transfer for whatever reason. Like Nick over here. So I tried to approximate his shape using various dials. What I ended up with here is not all that accurate but I still quite like him. Nick's skin is by Jenny Morris so of course no complaints there.

Post edited by Hylas on

Gallery link

Gypsy Angel's Jericho did let himself be transferred but something about his morph screwed with the auto-follow, now beards don't follow his chin properly. Had to bust out the mesh grabber to yank it back into place.

Drools alot over that last hottie!!

• bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,028

@Hylas - from sweet to a little surly, thanks for all your images - you always pique my interest.  You have quite the eye for the varied types of  masculine beauty.

bohemian3 said:

@Hylas - from sweet to a little surly, thanks for all your images - you always pique my interest.  You have quite the eye for the varied types of  masculine beauty.

Thanks, that's very sweet of you to say :)

Gallery link

Taric's skin. Didn't bother transferring his shape because I don't think it's that special.

I realise his body hair would probably be covered by the blue paint in certain spots but I didn't have the patience to make that happen.

They all look great. smiley Extra steps are worth it IMO if the end result is good, and that sure seems to be the case here. I've been wanting to try out GenX, to see what I can do with it.

Cover render for the DEC Freebie Contest. It was a bit of a rush job and I'm not really happy with her facial expression in particular, but I did have fun using the Cosmic Magic props I got a few days back.

Gallery link

Was excited to get some items in during the Black Friday sale that don't often see steep discounts, including Nasiri here.

Of course I had to butch him up a bit :)

(Droollllllssssssss) Clean up on Asile 4!!!!!

Hummmmina hummmmina what a hottie!!!!

Gallery Link

I have a million things to do, so of course I sit down and compose big, detailed scene for no reason.

Using some items I got recently in various sales... Ninive 6 and Scott 6 (for G3, transferred to G8), Woodland Playset and Haunted Dale, and Cosmic Magic.

I first made a version that used the 'Ground Fog' function. It rendered forever and was still grainy in the end. No thank you, better (and faster) to just slap on some mist in post.

I think cycloramas and billboards are so underrated!

edited December 2022
    Post edited by Hylas on

Gallery link

Another M4 transfer. He takes expressions rather awkwardly but I think he's a cutie none the less.

Hylas said: He takes expressions rather awkwardly but I think he's a cutie none the less.

I think some of his cuteness is in the quirky expression. smiley Happy Holidays!

WinterMoon said:

smiley Happy Holidays!
    Thanks, Happy Holidays to you!

Gallery link

Impulse-bought Valandar's Genesis Cavalier, and... well.

I'm low-key obsessed with lights. By now I have so many I'm having a hard time choosing. All the pretty lights!