Carrara Challenge Number 6. Movie Poster Phobia! "Work In Progress"

stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
edited December 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Ok,everyones seen Arachnophobia? Whats that you say...you did not go and see it because you don't like spiders?....and it's got spiders in it ! Or maybe that is the reason you did go and see it.
Anyway, you will see what Mr Spielberg wants you to go and see!

So this months challenge is to make a poster for a "phobia" movie!

I have prepared a list for you to choose from as a guide to get you started, you can use any phobia you have heard of that has been documented. When you submit your final entry make it known what the phobia/phobias is you have used please.

1. Spiders - Arachnophobia

2. Snakes - Ophidiophobia

3. Heights - Acrophobia

4. Clowns - Coulrophobia

5. Cars - Amaxophobia-Motorphobia

6. Flying - Aviophobia

7. Dinosaurs - Ornithoscelidaphobia

8. The Dark - Achluophobia-Nyctophobia

9. Vegetables - Lachanophobia

And finally ,you knew I would not let you down!

10. Santa - Hagiophobia ( Santaphobia and er.. Claustrophobia will be accepted.)

General Rules For The Movie Poster.

1. Render in Carrara....All plugins acceptable.

2. All content from the Daz store acceptable ( Our sponsors! ) But you are ecouraged to make your own stuff whether it be in Carrara , Hex or you other favorite software.

3.The name of the phobia does not need to be in the poster. Mainly because they are usually a bit of a tongue twister.So for example, your movie could be called "Fear of Flying" or " Flight of Terror"
or "Aviophobia" which movie would you go see? Would you rather watch "Snakes on a Plane" or " Ophidiophobia" ( I just realised "Snakes on a Plane" covers two phobias at once ...cool! Maybe that is an idea to run with? A plane full of clowns anyone?)

4.But do not forget the actual film title DOES need to be on the poster!

5. The name of the film should be created in the "TEXT MODELER" ( yeah,you just knew there would be a catch!) It can be rendered in the scene or renderered seperately and composited. So the name of the movie could be just the title overlayed or it could intergrated as part of the action. So for example you could have the word "Arachnophobia" built in the text modeler .Stick some spooky lighting on it and have a few spiders clambering over it! ( I think this may be a contender for my entry! But if anyones stuck for an idea...do this one.) The reason for this is to make the text look a bit more exciting and more three dimensional than just stamping something down in Photoshop at the end. And also to explore Carrara a bit more.

6.You are NOT required to put any other type on the poster, like for example the names of any actors or studios or "Coming Soon" but it would be fun if you did.They do not have to be real people,obviously! Any type other than the movie title CAN be done 2d in your favourite photo editing application of choice.

7. When you submit your final entry provide a list of products you purchased or made yourself and mention the phobia.

The Prizes

DAZ 3D are kind enough to donate prize coupons for the challenges.

First Prize. $50 coupon for the DAZ store! Plus three items from RingoMonforts Daz store!

Second Prize. $30 coupon for the Daz store! Plus two items from RingoMonforts Daz store!

Third Prize. $15 coupon for the DAZ store! Plus one item from RingoMonforts Daz store!

Plus $5 from the Daz store and one item from Ringo Monforts Daz store for an Honourable mention chosen by Ringo.

Thank you for the contribution DAZ 3D and Ringo Monfort!

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/

http://www.daz3d.com/ringomonfort

The Small Print.

All renders to be done in Carrara .
Post work is allowed
Enter as many times as you like,but only your top place will be counted for a prize.
( so you may get yourself voted into second place if you share your own votes!)
Post between 1 and an infinite amount of "work in progress"( WIP) pictures in the WIP thread.
Voting... You can vote for 1,2 or 3 pictures.So if there is only one you like just vote for one.If you are shy and want to vote anonymously Private Message me.

Challenge Timescale.

I propose to change this thread to the "Work In Progress" thread at 9 am GMT on Monday the 16th December 2013
I propose to open the " Final Entry" thread at 9 am GMT on Friday the 3rd of January 2014
which will be closed at 11 pm on Friday the 10 th of January when voting will begin, until 11pm GMT on Friday the 17th of January.
So that is 4 weeks build time and 1 week vote time.

So instead of eating mince pies and turkey and drinking eggnog ( whatever that is?) why not make a daft movie poster!

Post any questions here. You have 3 days head start on Monday! Good Luck!

Oh yeah, if you want to use "Ambient Light" knock yourself out!

And remember, all you folks that have swallowed a dictionary ,dont be too clever with your word wrangling. It is a movie poster, you want to make people go and see it .So may be it should be exciting,scary or funny.

Post edited by stu sutcliffe on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Eggnog is a thick and festive favorite of mine - but nobody else in my household touches the stuff - so it's mine, all mine! Commonly (at least in the drinking state of Wisconsin) mixed with Rum or Brandy, I prefer mine straight up, alcohol-free. Kind of like a vanilla shake but without any ice cream needed for thickness - and not quite as cold. Oh... Now I need some eggnog! :ahhh:

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You didn't include my 2 favourite phobias

hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

Cenosillicaphobia

And I am sure the 2nd one of those in particular is something a lot of Carraraists (and Brycers) often suffer from :coolsmile:

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

I think the uk equivalent xmas tipple is Advocaat .Which is basically the same thing I think.

edited December 1969

Chohole, I am not sure they would make an exciting poster! If my Google search was correct!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2013

Ah OK. I did think the 2nd one would have some possibility., but I bow to your better judgement. :coolsmirk:

I tend to be a Cenosillicaphobiac myself. :roll: (hic)

Post edited by Chohole on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 2013

The cenosillicaphobia decreases the effectiveness but makes us more creative and artistic.
    I am also cenosillicaphobiac, and I like that!

Post edited by DUDU on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

Spiders & snakes!

but no cricket phobias .... hmmmmm ;-p

thinking cap on..

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

"A plane full of clowns" - I laughed so much!

Can't agree with you about allowing Ambient Light though...

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Why is that? It's a great feature that really works as it should - my honest opinion. Not all needs to be Real-World Simulation real, right? The ambiance feature can be used as an effect, like anything else in Carrara. But when you really need to lighten up shadows but really need your frames to render in only a few seconds each, that little slider is incredibly helpful. And then they give us a color chip to play with too! ;)
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

10. Santa - Hagiophobia ( Santaphobia and er.. Claustrophobia will be accepted.)

love it :)

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Why is that? It's a great feature that really works as it should - my honest opinion. Not all needs to be Real-World Simulation real, right? The ambiance feature can be used as an effect, like anything else in Carrara. But when you really need to lighten up shadows but really need your frames to render in only a few seconds each, that little slider is incredibly helpful. And then they give us a color chip to play with too! ;)

This probably isn't the right thread to discuss it, but I know what you mean.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    PhilW said:

This probably isn't the right thread to discuss it, but I know what you mean.

I'm using ambient light right now in an animation.

There was a notable individual that seems to have left this forum, that would take the time to tell everybody to turn it off- period. Then get mad at dissenting opinions. :roll: I'm not like that. however, I do think that it is a good idea to learn how to light a scene without it. It's a useful skill to know when not to use it, and also when to use it and how to use it.

As to the topic at hand, personally I don't think I'm going to use ambient light in this challenge. I have an idea or two that are going to use my take on '40s and '50s horror movie posters, and I think extremely deep shadows will help sell the concept.

I'm not discouraging others from using ambient light, just giving a little insight as to why (in my instance) I probably will not use it.

BTW, in the last challenge, my Holocene Park image did not use ambient light, because I wanted to hide unfinished elements in my scene. If I had used it, then everybody would have noticed I had no seat bottoms or floor. ;-)

I did use it in my Eye of the Tiger image. I needed it to fill in where my light rigs would not reach.

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited December 1969

Would flying clown cars count as one entry?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Cbird said:
    Would flying clown cars count as one entry?

ha ha that's three entries :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Is it okay to mix one of the listed phobias with one that is not?

edited December 1969

Questions ,questions... jeesh.........only kidding!

What I am going to do because it is xmas, is to allow ANY phobia. Hey I can do that cos I have the power! And because it does not officially start until monday. So when you submit your final entry make it known what phobia/ phobias you have used.
    I will amend the rules.
    Hey , its only a bit of fun and if minor tweaks will get us more entrys, the better all round!

edited December 1969

Yeah, just in case Carrara users have Dikephobia! (look it up - I had to!)

edited December 1969

Cbird, flying clown cars sounds brilliant. And will scare the bejeesus out of someone ,as long as they have clowns in 'em.
    I will be v. disappointed if we do not see this.

edited December 1969

I know that this phobia alone could make the subject of a contest… but, can one make a project on the “Carraraphobia”?

edited December 1969

No ,its not a documented phobia! And anyway isnt it a sought of paradox?

edited December 1969

I know a lot of animators which are afraid of Carrara, I tried to make them like but without success.
    I will try to take part this month...
    @+

edited December 1969

Good luck Dudu!

Here is a article which lists various sizes for your posters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_poster

But of course you can do it any proportions you wish.
    But if you do it a familiar shape it will help "sell" it.

edited December 1969

Hum, I believe that one will be obliged to use the non realistic render…

edited December 1969

You may use any renderer that appears in the render tab.

edited December 1969

I'm short, maybe very short, so my real phobia is of tall people falling on me. Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be documented, so flying clown cars it is!

edited December 1969
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

I think the uk equivalent xmas tipple is Advocaat .Which is basically the same thing I think.

Absolutely NOT! :) Advocaat is too thickly and sweet but wonderful for making Snowballs. (add Sprite + lime cordial +booze)

If you want a decent US style clone eggnog, get some quality fresh custard from Waitrose (but it won't be yellow) or go for the Birds if you want the cheapy US yellow equivalent, and add your rum or brandy....or vodka or all of it. Thin with a bit of milk. Nutmeg on top is important.

I splurged and bought some US expat stuff in a UHT type carton from Selfridges one year. Too pricey, but it wasn't bad.

Think boozy cold milky puddings... tastes better than it sounds!

;) Silene

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Cbird said:
    I'm short, maybe very short, so my real phobia is of tall people falling on me. Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be documented, so flying clown cars it is!

http://design.sva.edu/offcourse/9.html
    This is close enough!

or: Gigantasophobia – Fear of Giants and tall people.
    http://www.fearofstuff.com/phobialist/

edited December 1969

These are great! Can't wait to tell my 6'4" husband :)

de3an said:
    Cbird said:

http://design.sva.edu/offcourse/9.html
    This is close enough!

or: Gigantasophobia – Fear of Giants and tall people.
    http://www.fearofstuff.com/phobialist/

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 2013

Rather silly concept draft, but I will get the party started. Lots of 3rd party content, which I will tend to replace piece by piece as the month progresses. At the moment, it has a Genesis character with Stephanie 5 morphs, A3 gloves, V3 cocktail dress, V4 shoes and Amelya hair. The clown is a Poser G2 figure and its suit is the clown outfit for G2 males.

Edit - I guess I should say that my rather unimpressive effort was using the tree editor to make the celery. I modified the trunk and branches parameters, and changed the shader settings to make it green (then duplicated and rotated).

celery_poster_1.jpg
    480 x 640 - 50K
    Post edited by Diomede on