Carrara Challenge Number 6. Movie Poster Phobia! "Work In Progress"

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I happen to like "rather silly"! :)
    Yo Stu, something that I can no longer hold in,
    Funny thing about one of your rules that is very interesting:
    My up coming product, which I am incredibly proud of, uses the text modeler in a built in tutorial. It has some really cool samples and shaders... really kind of a great coincidence that you've picked that particular tool!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I happen to like "rather silly"! :)
    Yo Stu, something that I can no longer hold in,
    Funny thing about one of your rules that is very interesting:
    My up coming product, which I am incredibly proud of, uses the text modeler in a built in tutorial. It has some really cool samples and shaders... really kind of a great coincidence that you've picked that particular tool!

Be careful about leaving text a primitive, as it needs the font used to create it. I discovered this during a network render when one of the Node computers didn't have the font I used on the host. Whenever a tile from the node hit the text, I would get a tile with all the rest of the data for the render, but no portion of the text. Converting the text primitive to a vertex object solved the problem.

I mention this, in case your product uses an un-converted text primitive. If the buyer doesn't have the font, then it may not work correctly.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Rather silly concept draft, but I will get the party started. Lots of 3rd party content, which I will tend to replace piece by piece as the month progresses. At the moment, it has a Genesis character with Stephanie 5 morphs, A3 gloves, V3 cocktail dress, V4 shoes and Amelya hair. The clown is a Poser G2 figure and its suit is the clown outfit for G2 males.

Edit - I guess I should say that my rather unimpressive effort was using the tree editor to make the celery. I modified the trunk and branches parameters, and changed the shader settings to make it green (then duplicated and rotated).

(a)RT Frahm, :lol:

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

nice start diomede64!
    here's a bit of a muck around from oz

insectocarnivaliaphobia

;)

Doc2.jpg
    640 x 683 - 60K
    edited December 1969

Oh... is THAT ever creepy! Awesome, Head Wax! Yikes!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 2013

Head Wax, that should be prohibited to put this kind of image on the forum, I am afraid to open the page!
    However, it is super excellent! (I am ready for a nightmare, me…)

Post edited by DUDU on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

@Headwax - Fantastic. I especially like the hair on the fly's legs. Am I right in believing that you used the hair modeler for the legs of the spider and the fly? Also, for the man, did you shorten the pants leg by addressing the model (a morph or actual shorter mesh on that leg), or did you use an alpha map, or something else entirely?

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Dart, get your product out quick you could sell a few for the challenge.
    Hang on to your WIPs until Monday folks, thats when I will change the thread name to Work in Progress!
    The next couple of days is just a bit of a pre-amble for questions and stuff.

But it is good to see you chomping at the bit! Perhaps it will not be the disaster I was fearing!

edited December 1969

Hang on to your WIPs until Monday folks, thats when I will change the thread name to Work in Progress!
    The next couple of days is just a bit of a pre-amble for questions and stuff.

But it is good to see you chomping at the bit! Perhaps it will not be the disaster I was fearing!

Sorry for jumping the gun. My bad because you had announced the dates. I just want to get my entry (or maybe entries) in early because I will be traveling later in the month. Speaking of which, will you allow us to post a final render (and labeled as such) in the WIP thread if the time period for final entries will be troublesome? That has been accommodated in a couple of prior challenges by moving the piece over to the new thread.

edited December 1969

No worries diomede, just make sure that when you post your entry I acknowledge it . I would not want to overlook it! I am not quite sure how you move things from one thread to another but I guess cut and paste will do the trick.

edited December 1969

Waaaaaait....
    I'm not finished yet! :grrr:
    edited December 1969

Be careful about leaving text a primitive, as it needs the font used to create it.

Worry not, my friend! ;)
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    nice start diomede64!

insectocarnivaliaphobia

;)

In the best possible context: Yuck! :ahhh:

edited December 1969

he h e thanks dart and evil and diomede64 and DUDU_00001

sorry too stu for jumping the gum, I didn't realise you weren't open for business,,,, better do more reading next time (me)

:)

diomede64 it's a quickie about ten mins as I was supposed to be getting my barbecue going before my wife got home instead of screwing around

yep plenty of hair on the spider for sure, I used Fenricks shader plugin to get rid of all the shiny bits on all the models which is why the beetle is black because it comes as all shine, I got rid of the trouser leg by just making the shin invisible in the assembly room, I got rid of the right shoe be selecting it in the vm room and using the scale tool to scale it very very small - that's being lazy and inelegant of course

there is one light a light bulb with soft shadows

thanks for the positive squirms everybody :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    nice start diomede64!

insectocarnivaliaphobia

;)

Great render head wax but you should do one of the big spiders we have here in oz! ;-)

edited December 1969

Thanks Stezza. :) Oh you mean one of those? I didn't want to scare our European and American cousins, we need all those tourist dollars :) Also I need to have a little bit of M4 sticking out, I guess I could have used a baby trap door and just had one leg sticking out ;)

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Thanks Stezza. :) Oh you mean one of those? I didn't want to scare our European and American cousins, we need all those tourist dollars :) Also I need to have a little bit of M4 sticking out, I guess I could have used a baby trap door and just had one leg sticking out ;)

If you're talking Brown Recluse, they're in the states now- albeit the southern US. I know a guy that went turkey hunting in Missouri and was bitten in the kiester by one. Had have the necrotic flesh removed from the wound.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Be careful about leaving text a primitive, as it needs the font used to create it. I discovered this during a network render when one of the Node computers didn't have the font I used on the host.

Oooooh! Very nice catch on that little gotcha! I hope that converting the text primitive to the vertex modeler doesn't violate the rules! :lol:

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    I didn't want to scare our European and American cousins, we need all those tourist dollars :)

Trust me, the Discovery Channel does not do Aussie tourism any favours. Seriously, when I tell me people I was born in Oz, I often get looks of terror and they invariable mention some wicked nasty critter.

Their loss! Australia is a beautiful and unique country!

edited December 1969

Thank-you Stu for opening this up to all phobias!

Right now, I may try something for acrophobia...we'll see if the idea pans out.

edited December 2013

Converting the text primitive to vertex is fine....In fact I think it is almost a necessity ,I think it neatens up everything.

I an not sure if I am going to enter this one as I am supposed to be in charge of it .But I have a few ideas I am mulling over so you never know! Here is a thumbnail of my front runner if you can make it out.

001.jpg
    686 x 1020 - 124K
    Post edited by stu sutcliffe on
    edited December 1969

Have those Aussie spiders really made it to the US? That is going to scare the hell out of me, Stu.

Now, I have diagnosed the real Cowrarist horror movie.

revenge_of_the_formula_modeler.jpg
    640 x 480 - 38K
    edited December 1969

Converting the text primitive to vertex is fine....In fact I think it is almost a necessity ,I think it neatens up everything.

I an not sure if I am going to enter this one as I am supposed to be in charge of it .But I have a few ideas I am mulling over so you never know! Here is a thumbnail of my front runner if you can make it out.

Since you set the rules, you can enter. One of the previous winners, made it a rule that if they won again, the second place winner would have to host the next one.

edited December 1969

Trying to get as many phobias as I can into this one!

So far I'm thinking I have a few but I'm afraid I could be wrong :

Heortophobia - fear of holidays

Coulrophobia- Fear of clowns

Arachnophobia- Fear of spiders

Santaphobia - Fear of Santa

Araneophobia - fear of spiderwebs

Ortographobia - fear of spelling mistakes

Then setting out a scene for it all:

WIP2_fobia_clown.jpg
    347 x 800 - 204K
    WIP_fobia_clown.jpg
    650 x 1500 - 482K
    edited December 2013

Stezza said:
    Trying to get as many phobias as I can into this one!

So far I'm thinking I have a few but I'm afraid I could be wrong :

Heortophobia - fear of holidays

Coulrophobia- Fear of clowns

Arachnophobia- Fear of spiders

Santaphobia - Fear of Santa

Araneophobia - fear of spiderwebs

Ortographobia - fear of spelling mistakes

Then setting out a scene for it all:

What? No fear of Kangaroos? ;-)

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 2013

lol @ EP.. nope no fears of kangaroos or koalas... but I do hate them creepy cockroaches running over your face!! the ones that eat the spiders :-(

Here is my workflow and final render for the challenge..

edit: forgot to mention the christmas hat from Tate's Grinch ;-)

fobia_WIP.jpg
    900 x 1000 - 386K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

I have started to do some ground work for a movie idea of mine.

You can probably see what phobia that I'm having.....

Just hope that I have time enough to complete this time. This time of year is one of the busiest for me at work.

Doc2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 126K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

So my villain and some of the elf henchmen are nearly there.

So now we need a hero, and off course a scantily dressed girl.... :cheese:

And a background for the plot....

Doc4.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 234K
    edited December 2013

Cool stuff so far.

Here's a concept I'm working on. All spline models so far. Colored to help me keep track of what I'm doing.

Bathmophobia – Fear of stairs or steep slopes.

Picture_1.png
    826 x 701 - 104K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Experimenting with lighting, atmosphere and colors.

Sample01.jpg
    480 x 640 - 116K