Carrara Challenge Number 6. Movie Poster Phobia! "Work In Progress"

123457»

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

There are some impressive entries in the challenge thread! This is going to be a hard one to decide again!

What I've found so cool about these challenges is not only the interpretations people come up with, but the flexibility Carrara has to allow the artist to define their style. Stu is a great example of this. He does his modeling/sculpting in another app, and brings it into Carrara and uses the hair tool and other features to add to the effect of the scene. Even if you do it from scratch in Carrara, it has enough modeling and creation abilities to provide a huge amount of flexibility to the artist!

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

There are some impressive entries in the challenge thread! This is going to be a hard one to decide again!

What I've found so cool about these challenges is not only the interpretations people come up with, but the flexibility Carrara has to allow the artist to define their style. Stu is a great example of this. He does his modeling/sculpting in another app, and brings it into Carrara and uses the hair tool and other features to add to the effect of the scene. Even if you do it from scratch in Carrara, it has enough modeling and creation abilities to provide a huge amount of flexibility to the artist!

I do wish i could do more modeling in Carrara, i've been using hexagon and I'm getting more and more comfortable using it, but there are good resources for it on the net when i have a question. I don't find much on carrara modeling and it doesn't seem that intuitive to me. I was a long time spline modeler and i don't think that helps sometimes.

edited December 1969

I've been a long time spline modeler myself. For myself, I don't see many negatives as there are some things the spline modeler does very well that the VM doesn't and the reverse is true as well.

• MicioDueMicioDue Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This is my final work, I'm posting here the latest technical details if someone is interested. A larger size of the render is posted in the official thread.

I didn't want to postwork, so title and all movie credits are part of the scene: many text objects lying on a plane in front of the camera. Different textures for simple text, hot text and titles, different depths too. For the main title I used a creepy free font, I liked the weird effect of the "X" once transformed in a solid object. Text plane rotation follows the camera. Movie title has a visible depth and is illuminated by its own light, flat text has not an external light and an uniform glow makes it visible and 2D-like.

2013-12_WIP_06.JPG
    510 x 364 - 17K
    XIII_20.JPG
    900 x 1200 - 196K
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

MicioDue said:
    This is my final work, I'm posting here the latest technical details if someone is interested. A larger size of the render is posted in the official thread.

I like a lot about this one - good lighting and composition and a great facial expression - but what nails it for me is the subtitle, "The Prime."

Hell, I'd pay to see this in the theater (it's gotta be better than most of the tripe out there).

edited December 1969

I agree with Garstor. That's a great entry!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Very sober and effective… Superb!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited January 2014

well agreed :) The work everybody is producing is superb. Really wonderful to see what Carrara users can come up with.
    I had a chance to do some work this afternoon. Here's my wip before adding the carrara text and post work.
    I cracked up at a few especially dare you look in santa's sack!

cheers :)

oh the border is from post

wip1.jpg
    1371 x 2000 - 316K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • MicioDueMicioDue Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks folks. I see many great renders already posted and remarkable WIPs that will be certainly completed soon: it's really a pleasure to take part in these challenges. :-)

edited December 1969

The time is ticking down! Thanks Stu for hosting this!

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Thanks ! I approached it with a bit of trepidation,but I think it has worked out fine! Some great entries.

edited December 1969

Thanks ! I approached it with a bit of trepidation,but I think it has worked out fine! Some great entries.

The same with me! I think us challenge hosts need a support group! :lol:

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Would that be simply a Carrara contest hosts group, or would it be cross program?

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Would that be simply a Carrara contest hosts group, or would it be cross program?

I would say the stress would be the same regardless of software!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

I would say the stress would be the same regardless of software!

Oh good. Put me on the list to join the group.