[Released] Character Converter from Genesis 3 Female to Genesis 8 Female(Now Conv JCMs) [Commercial]

Comments

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited July 2019

I tried upping the tolerance to help fix my wonky eye issue and it still doesn't seem to help. Is that the direction I should be going or is there something else I'm doing wrong? I wouldn't really have considered her an "extreme" character. 

Eyes 2.JPG
    2257 x 1258 - 218K
    Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,318

I converted a character in scene, ie a character dial spun using lots of different dials, characters and morphs, not everything seems to have transferrred, the head of one character transfered but not the body.

Also and this is a problem for me, I can not autofit clothing  from genesis 2 or 3 (didn't try the original) when trying the box pops up but the ''What Type of Item It Is'' box is greyed out - is this expected behaviour?

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,902
    edited July 2019

As I understand, this converter create Genesis 8 Female characters, so cloths or hair should also be designed for Genesis 8 Females.

Never mind. It should work, if you have clones.

Post edited by Artini on
    edited July 2019
    Jael03pic02.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 217K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,061
    edited July 2019
    scorpio said:
    Also and this is a problem for me, I can not autofit clothing  from genesis 2 or 3 (didn't try the original) when trying the box pops up but the ''What Type of Item It Is'' box is greyed out - is this expected behaviour?

Does autofit work properly when you use the base G8F? Since this product creates G8F characters the actual figure is still G8F, so autofit should be working as it does on any G8F figure...

Post edited by Leana on
    edited July 2019

Just tested on the converted Jael character and there is no problem with the Autofit.

Used Genesis 3 Female clothes and hair. Left the shoes from the previous render, though.

https://www.daz3d.com/aery-mage-for-genesis-3-female-s

https://www.daz3d.com/nova-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s-and-genesis-2-female-s

Jael04pic02.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 202K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255
    edited July 2019

These are looking very inspiring. I've made the purchase and will be installing it later on today. I'll weigh in once I have it avaialble.

Something to add to the considerations list regarding conversions from earlier figures than G3; you've got another potential market out there. Poser users who are only just now deciding to test out Studio. They've got the G1-G8 bases already, since those are free. They may or may not have decided to put down the money for the base morph sets.

Still, they are bound to have favorite figures in their current collection that they really don't want to set aside yet. The specifically Poser figures are one thing. But most Poser users still pretty overwhelmingly use gen4. And, sure, they can still use gen4 in Studio, but after they've been dabbling with the more current figures, they may well have seen some advantages that they would like to have access to with figures that they have already "made their own" as it were.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • I can get this converter to work with the G3 to G8 scene method but the batch convert option does not work for me at all.  It says no character files selected even though there are. Any ideas or hints would be appreciated ???

Leana said:
    scorpio said:

Does autofit work properly when you use the base G8F? Since this product creates G8F characters the actual figure is still G8F, so autofit should be working as it does on any G8F figure...

Yes  I would have thought autofit should work but I'm not able to use it on a converted character. If this is a limitation of the product then I will have to return it as for me it makes it rather useless.

• I haven't yet found a male g8 character I like as well as my g3 characters, so as soon as there's a g3 > g8 converter, I'll be ALL OVER THAT.

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,962

I can get this converter to work with the G3 to G8 scene method but the batch convert option does not work for me at all.  It says no character files selected even though there are. Any ideas or hints would be appreciated ???

Getting the same error.. Trying now the scene method

Artini said:

Just tested on the converted Jael character and there is no problem with the Autofit.

Used Genesis 3 Female clothes and hair. Left the shoes from the previous render, though.

For me there is a problem with autofit.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    scorpio said:
    Artini said:

I'm getting the same problem with autofit, but I've seen it in the past too...not sure if the same steps would fix it, but what I did before was delete the character, load a fresh base figure and then load in a shaping preset to get the custom shape back again. For whatever reason, that fixed it in the past. I'll have to see if it also works in this case. 

• modernvinylphilemodernvinylphile Posts: 22
    edited July 2019

I can get this converter to work with the G3 to G8 scene method but the batch convert option does not work for me at all.  It says no character files selected even though there are. Any ideas or hints would be appreciated ???

I am having the same thing
    Post edited by modernvinylphile on
  • ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 820
    edited July 2019
    scorpio said:
    Artini said:

I'm getting the same problem with autofit, but I've seen it in the past too...not sure if the same steps would fix it, but what I did before was delete the character, load a fresh base figure and then load in a shaping preset to get the custom shape back again. For whatever reason, that fixed it in the past. I'll have to see if it also works in this case. 

Interesting, I just tried several autofit tests with pants and tops from G2F and G3F and everything worked fine for me. Unless I'm misunderstanding something which is very likely. I've never used autofit for G8F before today so I'm not sure what options there should be in the transfer. I see the same autofit options for the Converted Character and the base G8F character.

Edit: thought I should add I'm still on 4.10 and I used the character scene converter not the 'base' converter. I just tried a few more outfits: a G1 top, G2 skirt, G3 full outfit (bracers, pants, top, boots), and except for the usual autofit issues with the older generations, everything is working fine for me. 

Post edited by ZippyGuitar on
    scorpio said:
    Artini said:

Problem is this is a dial spun character I did myself using numerous dials so there is no shaping preset.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099
    JOdel said:

These are looking very inspiring. I've made the purchase and will be installing it later on today. I'll weigh in once I have it avaialble.

Something to add to the considerations list regarding conversions from earlier figures than G3; you've got another potential market out there. Poser users who are only just now deciding to test out Studio. They've got the G1-G8 bases already, since those are free. They may or may not have decided to put down the money for the base morph sets.

Still, they are bound to have favorite figures in their current collection that they really don't want to set aside yet. The specifically Poser figures are one thing. But most Poser users still pretty overwhelmingly use gen4. And, sure, they can still use gen4 in Studio, but after they've been dabbling with the more current figures, they may well have seen some advantages that they would like to have access to with figures that they have already "made their own" as it were.

+1 Couldn't agree more.

• JasonCantyJasonCanty Posts: 62
    Artini said:

NICE,  glad to see My Cheetah girl can survie the conversion process.  

(though we do have a G8 version up too ;D)

But good to see, I was considering getting this for some other G3 Unique Non-Human characters to convert to G8!  

• JasonCantyJasonCanty Posts: 62
    Artini said:

NICE!  Was thinking of converting her!  Glad to see she looks good after the conversion!  

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,376

I keep getting the error "failed to save morph asset" - is there anything specific I should -not- include in the character preset as far as morphs go? She's based off Victoria 7 and doesn't have any geografts or anything. The only oddity is that I do have a couple custom-created x-tools morphs that I use for her (isolated Ophelia 7's legs and Georgia's mouth). 

*edit* Even forcing the conversion fails. :(

Strange.  Can you post the full Daz log (not the abbreviated one in the script dialog)?  Have you tried using the other convert custom scene character script?

Not sure if this helps? - 

2019-07-30 18:13:29.493 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\fileoutput\dzassetoutfile.cpp(611): Failed to create file path.
    2019-07-30 18:13:29.493 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzAssetIOFilters\dzmorphsupportassetfilter.cpp(935): Failed to write Morph Asset(s).
    2019-07-30 18:13:47.346 Failed to save Morph Asset(s). See the log for more details.
    2019-07-30 18:13:47.353 DEBUG: Error: Operation failed
    2019-07-30 18:13:47.354 DEBUG: Error saving morphs

I haven't tried the scene character script yet. I did try removing the x-tools morphs and those don't appear to be the problem (which is good because most of my characters use stuff tweaked from x-tools).

*edit* The scene character script does appear to work, though I'm not entirely sure how to save that off as a character preset. Or do I just save that as a new shaping preset and then I'm good to go?

*edit #2* The converter finished and the base shape seems pretty close, albeit with some tweaks needed (pretty much the lips need the most tweaking). However the eyes seem off. The area around them is fine...but the eyeballs are weird. Like distorted? I guess? Like the pupils don't sit right in the eyeball or something. And trying base G8 eye set after eye set doesn't seem to help fix the oddness about them. There are wierd reflections, etc that I've never seen when using the same G8 eye textures on out-of-the-box G8 characters. I've attached a couple screenshots. Left is my dial-spun G3 character and right is the conversion before tweaking. I knew the G3 eye textures would need to be replaced, so the conversion is using a G8 texture from Muosso. The smooth shaded screenshot really shows the distorted eyeballs. 

It is saying "Failed to create file path".  I need to see some of the log from BEFORE that message.

Yes, you can save as a character preset.

The eyes are probably a tolerance issue.  Try again with tolerance around 0.02.  (to be faster, it is better that you delete the morphs from My Library (or whatever is your first content directory)/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/VENDOR NAME/PRODUCT NAME.

Artini said:

Thanks.

How to delete the character, that does not converted well or not at all?

This best way is to use the Content Library pane and delete from there (this makes sure DS cleans up after the metadata).  Then go to My Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/VENDOR NAME/PRODUCT NAME and delete the morphs there.  Then restart Daz.

I tried upping the tolerance to help fix my wonky eye issue and it still doesn't seem to help. Is that the direction I should be going or is there something else I'm doing wrong? I wouldn't really have considered her an "extreme" character. 

You should be moving the tolerance TOWARDS zero, i.e., from 0.06 to 0.02.  It looks like she has HD morphs so you are not going to get a perfect copy.

scorpio said:

I converted a character in scene, ie a character dial spun using lots of different dials, characters and morphs, not everything seems to have transferrred, the head of one character transfered but not the body.

If you clicked the "Currently Used" in the Parameters Pane, are there body morphs that are not equal to 0?

scorpio said:

No, it is not.  The converted character should act EXACTLY like a G8F.  Perhaps restarting will help.

Artini said:

Artini said:

Looks beautiful!

scorpio said:
    Leana said:
    scorpio said:

Yes  I would have thought autofit should work but I'm not able to use it on a converted character. If this is a limitation of the product then I will have to return it as for me it makes it rather useless.

This is NOT a limitation of the product.  That is very strange that it is not working for you.  What is the Scene Identification of the character when you load it?  It should look like this

Scene Id.jpg
    719 x 307 - 67K
    JOdel said:

Thank you for your purchase!  smiley

You make a good point.  I will definitely consider that.

edited August 2019
    scorpio said:
    Artini said:

Huh.  Thank you for sharing.  Please let us know if that works.

EDIT:  If you load a vanilla G8F and dial up the morphs for your character, does Autofit work?

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
    GlenWebb said:
    scorpio said:
    Artini said:

Interesting, I just tried several autofit tests with pants and tops from G2F and G3F and everything worked fine for me. Unless I'm misunderstanding something which is very likely. I've never used autofit for G8F before today so I'm not sure what options there should be in the transfer. I see the same autofit options for the Converted Character and the base G8F character.

Edit: thought I should add I'm still on 4.10 and I used the character scene converter not the 'base' converter. I just tried a few more outfits: a G1 top, G2 skirt, G3 full outfit (bracers, pants, top, boots), and except for the usual autofit issues with the older generations, everything is working fine for me. 

Yes, that is what should happen.  Thank you for sharing.

scorpio said:
    scorpio said:
    Artini said:

Problem is this is a dial spun character I did myself using numerous dials so there is no shaping preset.

Oh, I see.  Well does Autofit work with Vanilla G8F?  If you delete the converted morphs from My Library/Data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/VENDOR NAME/PRODUCT NAME and restart Daz, is there a difference?

Artini said:

NICE,  glad to see My Cheetah girl can survie the conversion process.  

(though we do have a G8 version up too ;D)

But good to see, I was considering getting this for some other G3 Unique Non-Human characters to convert to G8!  

I hope it works for you!