is there a Face Transfer thread

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
edited September 2019 in Art Studio

the new Face Transfer in the beta

I don't want to clog the beta thread with my renders so was wondering

anyway

the facegen plugin I bought from Singiular Inversions on Genesis 1 on the left and two Genesis 8 with my face using two different photos ( last 2 below) and the new FaceTransfer beta on right

it seems the photo makes quite a difference

facegenandfacetransfer.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 2M
today13919.jpg
1483 x 1920 - 2M
WendyFaceTransfer.jpg
1920 x 1920 - 3M
facetransfer.jpg
1920 x 1920 - 2M
69866621_10218582005455361_6448776198171394048_n.jpg
720 x 960 - 164K
IMG_0327.JPG
960 x 1280 - 294K
Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Comments

• is anyone else actually playing with this?

I only learnt about it on facebook there has not exactly been a big reveal?

and since I started this thread instead of one of the popular users not many are likely to read it cheeky

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I read it. cheeky

Before I start playing with the new feature, I want to know how much the plugin is going to cost. But I'll happily look at images from the rest of you!

• information is scant, I am trying to find some to post here

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154

I thought your renders look really good Wendy, I saw them in the daz beta threads , I have not even tried playing with it yet for the same reasons as L'Adair i was kind of waiting to see how much the plugin was going to cost too, before dumping a lot of time learning it, it find out it was like a trillion dallors or something.  it looks interesting though

• Ivy said:

I thought your renders look really good Wendy, I saw them in the daz beta threads , I have not even tried playing with it yet for the same reasons as L'Adair i was kind of waiting to see how much the plugin was going to cost too, before dumping a lot of time learning it, it find out it was like a trillion dallors or something.  it looks interesting though

yes but I was only one posting renders after the initial few, other stuff was being discussed so felt as though I better leave it for the bug etc discussions not post lots of renders

why I thought a rendering thread a better idea maybe it should be in Art studio, I never know

• HoMartHoMart Posts: 480
    After realising the plugin exists I only had one hour to "play" with it yesterday. I only had some not so well lit images to play with. My first impression is, it has ... Potential The face textures created are IMHO better than the ones I get from the other 2 face\head plugins. (using same images) I think it reads the eye color from the image. But the head\face shape ..... Nice, but there is room for improvement. With the front AND side image approach the other plugin uses you get better shapes. The lips and mouth region is IMHO just flat with this face transfer.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
    edited September 2019

the watermark doesn't show in this render but its there

my blimp next to me

a cutout made from a photo is like a cushion

with friendsOut.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 356K
    edited September 2019

I have not got enough Genesis 8 female morphs to do my odd body shape 

and I don't think the face looks like mine anyway

at best a sister

sister at best.jpg
    1029 x 1080 - 710K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Ivy said:

yes but I was only one posting renders after the initial few, other stuff was being discussed so felt as though I better leave it for the bug etc discussions not post lots of renders

why I thought a rendering thread a better idea maybe it should be in Art studio, I never know

Yes please.  To move it there click on gear icon on your first post,  click on edit   and then change the category from the left side drop down and save comment.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I feel the Genesis 1 looks the most like you but because the Face Transfer test you ran is using the picture you used to do the Face Transfer as a texture it looks as geometrically accurate as the FaceGen morphs you did but I know from the accuracy control tests I did with my own pictures with Face Transfer and FaceGen that it isn't as accurate geometrically as FaceGen.  It's only the 1st beta though.

As convenient as it'd been to have Face Transfer built into DAZ Studio I can't justify buying Face Transfer unless it's substantially better than Face Gen and it's not. Heck, I bought FaceGen with the ideal of testing it for inclusion in mobile games for instant player avatars (and have since realized that's that runs into all sorts of privacy laws particularly if the player is 13 years old or less so I scrapped that ideal).  

edited September 2019

from the gullible expessions Aprilfools product a few years ago, different management

I am not terribly impressed by it to be honest

Chris.jpg
    1029 x 1080 - 597K
    gullible06.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
  • from the gullible expessions Aprilfools product a few years ago, different management

Well, the source does have too things thata re advised against - a beard, and there's a raised hand obscuring part of the face.

edited September 2019

from the gullible expessions Aprilfools product a few years ago, different management

Well, the source does have too things thata re advised against - a beard, and there's a raised hand obscuring part of the face.

I used Gimp to remove the hand on the one I used, I just posted the original, the beard is close trimmed and not the bit that really doesn't look like him

• This is really interesting, I feel like the feature would be good for making realistic crowd scenes. 

I think the "Gullible" Face Transfer is pretty good but mostly because the texture it makes is disguising that most of the face geometry wasn't used to create the face morph it uses.

OK, this is the control test I made the other day.

2 of the models used the same picture of me made in Oct 2017. One of those two models also used a profile picture of me made on that same date. One is Face Transfer and one is FaceGen Artist Pro 2.x.

1 of the models is a uni id of myself in Aug 1986. 1 of the models is myself in Nov 1989  And one of the models is of a person taken from a search engine search that looks similar to me but is not me but similar enough to me that I knew if Face Transfer didn't do a good job the model made from his picture would have the same problems I seemed to think it had with mine. So yes, the different individual after Face Transfer had chin shaved, lips shaved, nose shaved - this is not a case of an outlier test case result because of me in particular.

What's left, oh, the texture set is a mix of what FaceGen created from it's own generic textures combined with my Oct 2017 photos combined with RedStudioz Albino Tyrone for Darius 8 combined with some shader shaders for Maxx HD for the Brute 8 combined with some manual adjustments to the surfaces settings.  So not professional done shader materials completely but enough so that the original photographs do not trick people into thinking the job FaceGen or Face Transfer have done in creating morphs is better than is the actual case. That doesn't really matter I could of used any DAZ 3D texture set from the DAZ 3D Store so long as I used the same texture set on all the test cases.

So you can see the chin is shaved flat, the lips are shaved flat, The nose has the details shaved off of it. My weight in all those pictures was within 5 pounds but some faces look thinner, some wider,  some longer, some shorter,  although that's probably the angle of my face when the pictures were taken. I'm such a bad artist I really can't tell you which is the most accurate unfortunately.

2 of the photos where standard Polaroid ID machines of the 80s and 2 were taken with digital cameras. It seems a lot of available information in the photos must be ignored with regards to the digital photos at least, even if side profile photo use is discounted, but I guess there are surfaces that are exactly perpendicular to the camera lens & camera film surface.  The FaceGen model with the side profile has loss of detail too but not nearly as exaggerated as Face Transfer. I included it as visual illustration of the problem that gets hidden when the texture made from the original photo is used it contains the geometry information that was shaved in the form of different brightness levels on the skin surface.

The more accurate FaceGen 3D model while it might be more accurate I don't think looks too much like me either to not give Face Transfer people too hard a time. A wildly exaggerated 3D caricature sculpted using one of the same college IDs used above does though look more like me than FaceGen or Face Transfer and if you notice the same features I mention as being shaved off in both to differing degrees are much exaggerated in the 3D caricature sculpt. It makes you wonder what is the brain recognizing that makes a person recognize someone? See how the 3D caricature shouts 3D more effectively than the more accurate algorithmic geometry morph creation programs? 

When you think about it, for over a decade digital cameras and computer monitors have been claiming to have over an over 16 million color palette at their disposal which means digital photos and the computer monitor those photos they are drawn on should have more than enough detail for a Face Transfer app such as what's in DAZ Studio to make a very good geometry representation for a morph. Those apps don't manage it though so either digitals photos are almost universally poor in quality these past 10 years or the Face Transfer type apps are discarding or never even taking into account more of the information stored in those digital photos. The digital 3D sculptor may of had training in human anatomy with regards to muscles, skin, tendons, and all those other things that get ignored.

Anyway, I found it interesting to compare them. I'd buy the DAZ Studio Face Transfer serial number if they pushed to to something like the accurate elasticity in people's faces as demonstrated by the digital 3D caricaturist's sculpt. You can see the FaceGen DAZ model with it's front and side use of photos is getting close to the actual correct geometry. 

Face Transfer vs FaceGen Tests.png
    1920 x 720 - 2M
    caric.png
    523 x 693 - 217K
  • I am using beta 4.12.0.47 and I cannot find where this plugin is run from. Can anyone help?

edited September 2019

I am using beta 4.12.0.47 and I cannot find where this plugin is run from. Can anyone help?

You have to update your DS PB 4.12.0.47 to DS PB 4.12.0.73 & upgrade the Genesis 8 Starter Essentials Female & Genesis 8 Starter Essential Male before 'Face Transfer' is available.

After you do:

Window - Workspace - Update and Merge Menus

You can then do:

Window - Panes (Tabs) - Face Transfer

There you will have a tab (pane) that you can dock or keep floating. On that dock are tutorial videos on how to use it but if you read the UI elements on that tab they are pretty clear. It's easier to use than FaceGen. 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Thank you very much for your help nonsuch00

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

This is cool! I think it will lead to lots more characters. 

I pulled an image off the net and made a priest:

test.png
    889 x 862 - 510K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,837
    edited September 2019

Definitely a great achievement of Daz 3D team.

Just a random image from the net applied to Genesis 8 Male and rendered in iray.

and it takes quite nicely expressions from Daz 3D store.

ft01pic01.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 410K
    ft01pic02.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 319K
    ft01pic03.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 320K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited September 2019

Does anybody knows, why is that?

Never mind - found it:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4903221/#Comment_4903221

I wish, I have read the above thread before.

a2freeSavesLeftCt.jpg
    564 x 73 - 13K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Artini said:

Does anybody knows, why is that?

Never mind - found it:

I wish, I have read the above thread before.

You are allowed to preview as many as you like, but save only three in these testing phases.

edited September 2019

Copied from 

Just to make it easier to find

• Face Transfer pane
      • Windows 64-bit only
      • A new pane that allows selection of a source portrait photo to transfer to a Genesis 8 Male/Female
        • Lighting should be uniform, without shadows, and not too bright or dark
        • Face must be clearly visible, with no obstructions like glasses, hair blocking the forehead, etc.
        • Facial expression should be neutral
        • Facing direction should be straight ahead
      • Requires latest update to Genesis 8 Starter Essentials Male/Female
      • Generates a morph, associated facial bone adjustments/links, and a texture set
        • Texture set is based on default textures provided by Starter Essentials packages
        • Materials
      • Uses a "trial usage" activation policy
        • Allows unlimited generated previews
          • Generated preview textures are watermarked and not preserved between transfers or sessions
        • Allows 3 saves via Face Transfer, per release channel, before requiring a valid serial number
        • Entering a valid serial number does the following:
          • Removes watermarking from generated previews
          • Enables unlimited Face Transfer save operations
      • A Face Transfer save performs the following
        • Renames and/or relabels temporary morph, property, alias, and textures based on user-specified values
        • Generates a Scene Subset consisting of the figure, the generated morph and textures and any fitted/parented items
      • See in-pane Guide and Tip pages for more information
  • This is, I think, in part testing the new Usage policy for demos, fixed uses as opposed to a fixed number of days for a trial - it was discussed in the beta thread just before this update dropped.

edited September 2019

There will be the longest wait for the full product for me.

I like the results very much, besides the teeth on the lips = double teeth rows.

FT10pic01.jpg
    1564 x 1200 - 342K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited September 2019

But anyway, I like the transfer...

FT11pic01.jpg
    1564 x 1200 - 430K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Glad you like it

I was so unimpressed myself I actually loaded G8F into Zbrush with my images on the document and had a go at sculpting with the move and smooth brushes myself 

and even used zproject, polypaint and Gimp to do my own texture!

but it would be good for quick background people who resemble known celebrities etc, close ups, not so much

edited September 2019

Exactly, you have pointed out the most important features.

Right now for me is the time that takes to make a different characters very important.

I really like to have quick results instantly.

Post edited by Artini on
  • Can anyone tell if this is doing morphs or just textures? I guess I'll need to load the beta up on my windows machine now.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Maybe a dumb question as all I have used is an old version of HeadShop (or FacShop) which I returned for a refund.  I can see the facial morphs this is doing, and I presume some textures too, but how far do those textures extend?  With HeadShop/FaceSHop it was just face, head, neck etc., not torso, arms, etc.  Does this go that bit further and extrapolate the texture into full-body material zones?