is there a Face Transfer thread

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,871
    edited October 2019

Yes, I have HeadShop 11, but I do not know, how it could help with Face Transfer created characters.

What I have asked, is to make corrective morphs for the lips and the other parts of the created characters,

that will improve Face Transfer or HeadShop conversions.

Post edited by Artini on
  • info_b3470fa520info_b3470fa520 Posts: 881
    edited October 2019
    Artini said:

Yes, I have HeadShop 11, but I do not know, how it could help with Face Transfer created characters.

What I have asked, is to make corrective morphs for the lips and the other parts of the created characters,

that will improve Face Transfer or HeadShop conversions.

Artini, I don't think you can change the morphs that Face Transfer creates. On the other hand, if you are asking how to improve morphs that HeadShop 11 creates, we have a feature called Autodots. It directly interacts with the shape (mesh), either one dot at the time or group of dots. Watch the video posted below at 6:40 it talks about how to modify mouth shape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-8Gho1YUIc

autodots.jpg
    1263 x 719 - 334K
    Post edited by info_b3470fa520 on
  • Sorry if I missed it somewhere on the thread, but how are people getting the head shapes with face transfer? Every time I try It's like someone just peeled off the skin and slapped it onto the gen8 base model..Are you shaping the faces/heads manually? Or is face transfer supposed to be able to follow facial structure as well?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Sorry if I missed it somewhere on the thread, but how are people getting the head shapes with face transfer? Every time I try It's like someone just peeled off the skin and slapped it onto the gen8 base model..Are you shaping the faces/heads manually? Or is face transfer supposed to be able to follow facial structure as well?

I, more or less had the same experience & since I read that the code is a 3rd party plugin & not developed by DAZ 3D, I returned it.

• Sorry if I missed it somewhere on the thread, but how are people getting the head shapes with face transfer? Every time I try It's like someone just peeled off the skin and slapped it onto the gen8 base model..Are you shaping the faces/heads manually? Or is face transfer supposed to be able to follow facial structure as well?

Actully face transfor will automatically structer the head morphs, though you have to choose a nice photo ( no Shadows or strong lighting )

it's simmilar to facegen - only face transfor will make it so easir to just copy and transfor it becouse it's pluging within daz it self 

here is my first attemp to face transfer

the orignal photo 

Right side, is a simple one click transfer 

I had an iisue with the eyes and lips 

On the Left side I've add a view things ( eyeleshes ,lips, some blushes )

and in poerpose function you will find a ( Face controler )

If you're not happy with the some structer, you can fix them 

Note; this only work for G8 genration 

but al in all, face transfor is really nice and easy to use.

111616-emma-watson-hair-lead.jpg
    684 x 821 - 86K
    Emma watsomn01.jpg
    1920 x 1920 - 2M
    power pose.jpg
    1211 x 768 - 175K
  • After several hours experimenting, I have concluded that Face Transfer is largely a waste of time -- there's a difference between "simple and easy to use" and "dumbed down to the point of uselessness", and sadly this falls into the latter category. If your subject has nice smooth skin and a symmetrical face it may provide usable[1] results, but on pictures of real people with our skin imperfections, wrinkles, bumps, wonky noses, etc., the results are barely any better than if you just slapped your photo in as a texture and hoped for the best, and the lack of any tweaking means that if it didn't work first time you're pretty much out of luck.

[1] Usable in the sense of "doesn't look like a train wreck", not in the sense of "looks like the person in the photo" -- running a few famous faces through it generated a bunch of characters that looked like they were just really cheap lookalikes or maybe distant cousins of the subject.

• XaatXuunXaatXuun Posts: 871
    edited October 2019

not sure if it uses  all morphing dials or not, I don't have any for G8,

I do how ever have many for G3

updated up to 4.11 and gave it a go, found this pic on the web to test with,  I think it worked out pretty good, for just having G8 essintials

would had loved to test it on G3

when I have  the extra $, I'm getting it

Face transfer 001.jpg
    1600 x 1598 - 1M
    441.jpg
    2560 x 1707 - 559K
    Post edited by XaatXuun on
  • I can't get this to show up -- did all everyone said (and I'm on Win 64bit if anyone might wonder).  Newest Daz, newest Gen 8 male/female starter essentials and merged the menus but can't see it in the panes.

Anyone else having trouble seeing it?  I don't know what else to do at this point.

• XaatXuunXaatXuun Posts: 871
    edited October 2019

I can't get this to show up -- did all everyone said (and I'm on Win 64bit if anyone might wonder).  Newest Daz, newest Gen 8 male/female starter essentials and merged the menus but can't see it in the panes.

Anyone else having trouble seeing it?  I don't know what else to do at this point

take it as a stupid question,

are you sure  you have version 4.12 ?

forgive me for asking if you do

I just updated a  couple days ago, and that's the version I got and have

4point12.jpg
    1109 x 765 - 210K
    Post edited by XaatXuun on
  • Yeah, it's 4.12.  I even tried installing on another Win 10 64bit machine with no luck.

However, after looking at results here, I've decided I don't want it.  Here's what I can already do with just two of the user images posted here (out of the box with no tweaking at all):

Test01.png
    952 x 907 - 2M
    Test02.png
    952 x 907 - 2M
  • colcurvecolcurve Posts: 145

can the body texture be changed or is it hardcoded in the plugin?

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    colcurve said:

You can change the skin easily.

• colcurvecolcurve Posts: 145

while keeping the generated face blended correctly to the new skin?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    colcurve said:

while keeping the generated face blended correctly to the new skin?

That's not going to work.

• Does anyone know when FACE TRANSFERT will be available for Mac ? ? ?

• charlescharles Posts: 775
    peterbob said:

Does anyone know when FACE TRANSFERT will be available for Mac ? ? ?

I don't find it that great actually and still prefer to use facegen.

But there is a new plugin for it I haven't tried yet so maybe that will change my opinion, especially if it is extendable and people actually add to it.

Why don't you buy a cheap used $100 windows system from a pawn shop or ebay?

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,738
    edited December 2019

First try with this.  1-2 is the original transfer, 3 after a bit of morphing and with new eyes. 

face_transfer_01.png
    1000 x 590 - 838K
    face_transfer_02.png
    806 x 921 - 718K
    face_transfer_03.png
    1004 x 576 - 805K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • HoMart said:
    After realising the plugin exists I only had one hour to "play" with it yesterday. I only had some not so well lit images to play with. My first impression is, it has ... Potential The face textures created are IMHO better than the ones I get from the other 2 face\head plugins. (using same images) I think it reads the eye color from the image. But the head\face shape ..... Nice, but there is room for improvement. With the front AND side image approach the other plugin uses you get better shapes. The lips and mouth region is IMHO just flat with this face transfer.

I just bought this and the Face Transfer Shapes for Genesis 8 which is supposed to correct the flattened side views and add more realistic morphs. I played with it last night in the free version and the results are cool. I will practice with photos that have flat lighting to avoid skin aberrations, and I will take higher resolution photos. Also, I think no expressions will work best in the long run. I am excited to use this so I can 3d my whole fam...I am going to make myself a god or a superhero!!!

• CELESRACELESRA Posts: 86
    edited December 2019

I wanted to test it before deciding to purchase it, and this built-in plugin can do a lot of things like add folds around the eyes and on the skin that is a lot harder to achieve with morphs etc. Of course there is discoloration on the face in terms if one side of the face has darker shadows than the other, then yes, it won't look that good. But I also make sure I get good quality images and just tried it with one asian character, not sure if it is a celebrity or not, but he had a decent head on shot I wanted to try. I don't need the daz character to look exactly like the image so I am alright if it doesn't resemble perfectly, but can see where it would be a problem if you wanted to portray yourself in this instance.

Anyway, these are my tries:

The first woman face was published by a newspaper as a generic model face...or generalistic view of a lot of vogue models, so I grabbed that to try at first. Loved the result. But next wanted to challenge the software by doing something that is heavier in folds and skin around the eyes, hence the asian guy. Both came out brilliantly.

I have the Genesis 8 Morphs and that may help with it, not sure.

Last picture is the Iray render with a spot light added and a soft coloured light to make sure the skin matches.

In my case, I am a digital artist, so any imperfections I can manually fix in Adobe Photoshop afterwards and usually digitally paint over the 3d characters in any case, so for me personally, this is worth it.

The only downside from this is the textures. If the shadow is dark where the textures are more noticable, it will show on that side of the face. You can do what I did and position the best side towards the camera. Or make sure that the head pictures are taken in a light where all areas of the face is highlighted properly.

Facetransfer1.png
    962 x 648 - 373K
    facetransfer2-2.png
    1094 x 798 - 958K
    Asian3.png
    700 x 963 - 902K
    Post edited by CELESRA on
  • amyw12amyw12 Posts: 63

So I find Face Transfer to be hit or miss. The chance of getting a hit is drastically improved when you use the Face Transfer Shapes for Genesis 8 by PhilW. There's a "fix" in there that reduces the wonkiness and poor job that Face Transfer does. With the fix, I've found myself getting decent results. Example shown below, where I kept the skin Face Transfer generated but swapped out the eyes, and then used the Face Transfer Shapes for Genesis 8. 

In all, Face Transfer still needs a lot of work. But you can get good results with a bit of fiddling here and there.

example1.PNG
    761 x 756 - 561K
  • The OP asked if there was a face transfer thread - I suppose this thread must be it. (I'm sure the mods will correct me if I'm wrong)

I've been playing with it for a bit now and I just want to point out a couple of tips.

Firstly, If you don't save face, then it keeps the face morphs but loses the textures. I use the default basic options and enter a name in the Shape: Label: of the save dialogue box. Saving face creates and uses a bunch of files located (depending on your configuration)

I:\DAZ3D_Originals\Runtime\Textures\[user]\Face Transfer\[label]

The generating algorithm uses only one image, so the quality of the transfer is down to the image available. However, navigating to the above location means you can air-brush the image if there are any marks such as shadows that need sorting out.

Secondly, I've found (in doing portraits at least) that the the hairstyle makes a lot of difference, as does the pose - I stick a reference plane behind the actor and put the original image (with a suitable aspect ratio) as its surface, then fiddle about with PowerPose.

I then save a scene subset of the character (saving as character seems to loose the morph.

• I have a MAC.  Face transfer only wirks with a Windows operating system.  Does anyone know if it would work with Windows Parellels for MAC?  If not, are there other options?

• i'm having troubles with this face transfer

always when i try i get the message:

Face transfer failed to generate. Try a different source image

• i'm having troubles with this face transfer

always when i try i get the message:

Face transfer failed to generate. Try a different source image

And you are trying different images each time?

• whenever i apply skin 8 skin after face transfer face does not look same is there any solution i only wanted to  look model more realistic.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    edited July 2020

This thread talks about changing the default skin that is used, but without going into specifics.

How would I go about changing default used skin for facetransfer, while keeping good blending ofcourse? Not sure how to go about this, or what is the smartest way.

Post edited by Paintbox on
  • emotionaldreams2emotionaldreams2 Posts: 141
    edited December 2020

Leonides02 said:

You can change the skin easily.

how? and i dont mean just use one from content. i mean using a different texture before the transfer? because the default texture is terrible.

Post edited by emotionaldreams2 on
  • emotionaldreams2emotionaldreams2 Posts: 141
    edited December 2020

Paintbox said:

This thread talks about changing the default skin that is used, but without going into specifics.

How would I go about changing default used skin for facetransfer, while keeping good blending ofcourse? Not sure how to go about this, or what is the smartest way.

that what i want to know. default skin is ugly and never matches with the body. wish it was like FaceArtist. where u can use your own texture before it creates the morph

Post edited by emotionaldreams2 on
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 734
    edited January 2021

Anyone get Face Transfer to work with Genesis 8.1? FaceGen morphs work but Face Transfer do not show in morphs or as an option. My Avatar is a combination of Face Transfer and Character Creator 3  from iClone.

Post edited by Tugpsx on
  • Gonna try Face Transfer. My results with Facegen, even when using FG files from a modller version, are not great. It has  issues with the eyes and overall face shape. The FG model came out great, the facegen to Daz, not so much. And headshot did at times give really good results in its progream but BARELY made any realy changes to the actual model. Again still an issue with eye size, even with Headshop. (If I encounter big eye issues with Face Transfer, I'll have to assume my DAZ is corrupt and reinstall it completley). And some Headshot results are just weird....

Screenshot 2022-08-29 063059.png
    2719 x 986 - 1M
    Screenshot 2023-08-29 050629.png
    1315 x 703 - 798K