ToonyCam Pro: Toon renders, anyone? :) [Commercial] [Contest]

Comments

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Not this week, but it shouldn't be much longer. :)

I will announce the winner of the contest tonight. But I also want to let everyone know that I am working on arranging a coupon for everyone who entered. There are several really fun entries, and I wanted to recognize the effort that went into them.

edited February 2014

Ok... this was really difficult. I finally decided the criteria to go with is "which of these images am I just dying to see rendered with ToonyCam Pro? So the answer is...

Nutcracker Revised, by hawkonthewing!

Because I just couldn't stop laughing when I saw it. I knew exactly what it was about. :lol:

And also because... I suspect a lot of LAMH presets were used in this image, or a combination of LAMH and furry displacement. ToonyCam supports LAMH and displacement, but there may be some challenges to figure out which outline method you'll want to use for this, and I'm very interested in seeing your results. I think you will want to use OutlineID, rather than Normals or Depth, to generate your outlines. You may find you want to manually adjust the OutlineID values in the surfaces tab for this image, to be sure you get outlines where you want them and not where you don't. (For example, you won't want outlines at the seams between different UV map areas on Clara's skin-- I include utility scripts for many figures to help with this).

On the other hand, the lighting in this image should toon up very nicely. :)

(But on the third hand... you'll lose the depth of field focus blur, I think. I actually haven't tried DOF with ToonyCam, though I think there's still a slot for it in the Shader Mixer camera base... I'll try a test and post shortly.)

I'm still waiting to hear from DAZ about how to get the prizes to you folks. I have the final installer, so I'll be contacting the two main prize winners shortly with an advance download, but again, the plan is to have this in your accounts so you can download it again later if needed.

Thanks for playing, everyone!

hawkonthewing-Nutcracker_revised.jpg
    985 x 788 - 132K
    Post edited by zigraphix on
  • fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

Congratulations, I figured that image would win. It was done quite nicely.

edited December 1969

It was a very tough decision, as I said....

Meanwhile, I've answered the depth of field question. And the answer somewhat surprised me....

This rather random scene (literally, a set with some depth and the first figure I came across in my runtime that I wouldn't have to bother putting clothes on) is rendered twice, once with a regular camera, once with ToonyCam Pro, both times DOF is on and focal distance is set to 300. I'm surprised -- I thought the outlines would be applied after the DOF effect, not before.

toon-DOF.jpg
    800 x 600 - 255K
    non-toon-DOF.jpg
    800 x 600 - 202K
    edited December 1969

And here's that same image with no DOF.

(Again, this is just a couple of items thrown together, no lighting other than headlamp, no tweaking of textures, blah blah blah....)

toon-non-DOF.jpg
    800 x 600 - 265K
    edited December 1969

And one more... in this one, I edited the OutlineID for all the "background" surfaces to be the same, but distinct from the foreground figure. I think this is an interesting effect, actually....

toon-DOF-bg-no-outlines.jpg
    800 x 600 - 235K
  • hawkonthewinghawkonthewing Posts: 136
    edited December 1969

Wow, thank you very much! I'm glad you liked it, I had a lot of fun putting it together. Poor Mouse King never wins! Until now, heh heh heh!

Thanks also for the suggestions of how to address the LAMH, that'll give me a good starting place. I like what the DOF does with the camera, and the fact that it adds the outlines like that makes this camera even more useful than I initially thought it would be, YAY!! ! :cheese:

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    Not this week, but it shouldn't be much longer. :)

Auchhh!!! :´- (

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

Wow, thank you very much! I'm glad you liked it, I had a lot of fun putting it together. Poor Mouse King never wins! Until now, heh heh heh!

Thanks also for the suggestions of how to address the LAMH, that'll give me a good starting place. I like what the DOF does with the camera, and the fact that it adds the outlines like that makes this camera even more useful than I initially thought it would be, YAY!! ! :cheese:

Congratulations. I knew the minute I saw your image that it was going to win. It just stands out in my mind.

edited December 1969

I was reviewing this thread for questions and realized I'd missed one:

SmallFry said:
    Also, any chance for presets with the set? That might make it easier to implement.

There are a lot of presets with this camera. A preset is provided to change the Render Settings to use the script needed for the outlines, and another to set it back to the default. I provide presets for switching the type of outlines used (OutlineID, Normals, Depth), the number of shading levels, the amount of blending between shading levels, the thickness of the outlines, and specific to the OutlineID method, presets for adjusting OutlineIDs of objects in the scene or a selected object based on node, MAT zone, current diffuse color, and the name of the image file currently assigned to a MAT zone. I also have a batch of presets for figures going back to V2 and M2 to set all OutlineIDs to the same value except the eye whites and irises.

The camera loads by default with 3 levels of shading, blended at 25%, outline thickness 1, based on normals. This will work well in most scenes, unless there is a lot of transparency on surfaces -- the normals method doesn't respect transparency when figuring out where the outlines should be. When the Render Settings script is used, the scene is scanned and all surfaces have an OutlineID parameter added, and these are set to unique values based on the node and material zone in the scene, so if you switch from Normals to OutlineID, you'll get the most outlines the OutlineID method can provide. (And it's easier to select all the surfaces of an object and set them to the same OutlineID than it is to manually set each surface to a different OutlineID.)

In short, at every step I tried to think of ways to make this camera as easy to use as possible, while still giving good results and a reasonable amount of flexibility. While pwToon still provides the most control over outlines of any product I know of for DS, I find it fussy to have to set the parameters manually for every surface in the scene. I think this camera strikes a good balance between power and ease of use, and I hope all of you will agree when it hits the store. :)

• GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103
    edited December 1969

Congratulations Hawkonthewing!

• bad4ubad4u Posts: 684
    edited December 1969

Great King Rat

Congratulations hotwing, indeed a great image ^^

And nice to hear release of zigrafix' new cams isn't sooo far away anymore !

edited February 2014

I thought folks might be interested in seeing this. The way the OutlineID method calculates outlines is with a two-pass render. The first pass renders each surface as a different color based on the OutlineID, sort of like an ambient-only render. Again, by default and by using preset scripts, you can assign unique numbers to each object in the scene or each material zone, based on a couple of parameters.

In the second pass, the toon render is completed and the outline (generated from the first pass) is composited into the image.

The first pass itself is kind of interesting. You have to cancel the render between passes to capture it, but with a sufficiently complex scene the render is slow enough that this is possible. This one was particularly interesting, I thought. :)

robot-eve-outline-all.jpg
    500 x 650 - 348K
    robot-eve-outline-outlineIDs.jpg
    500 x 650 - 211K
    edited December 1969

And... here's a better Depth of Field example:

robot-eve-DOF-toon.jpg
    500 x 650 - 207K
    robot-eve-DOF-photo.jpg
    500 x 650 - 171K
  • martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:

While pwToon still provides the most control over outlines of any product I know of for DS...

Nope, pwToon have two problems which are awfull for me, and I believe that your camera doesn't have these. I'm waiting for your product to compare directly...but DAZ torturing me postponing it!!!

• fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

It's in the store now. I have to wait to get paid though.

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

SLAM DUNK!!! INTO MY CART

edited December 1969

I mean...where? I musta been drugged. I don't see it.

edited December 1969

Got it! Thanks!

I'm so ready to start tooning again.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

I don't want to clog up the contest post, so was wondering Zigraphix if you will have a thread for this? I'm quite interested in one particular look I saw in the promos and was curious about it....

edited December 1969

I don't think it would be clogging-- what's the question? :)

(Contest winners, I'll have this product to you shortly, and the rest of you, stay tuned for another fun idea...)

• hawkonthewinghawkonthewing Posts: 136
    edited December 1969

Thank you, I am looking forward to testing it out! This looks so fun...and the possibiities, the beautiful possibilities...
    :lol:

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,847
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:

I have a question. What's the process to use these with the Manga Style Shaders? I can't seem to get it to work.

All I want the camera to do is do the outlines without conflicting with the Manga Style Shaders. Like I see in your Manga Style Shader promo image.

edited December 1969

nDelphi said:
    zigraphix said:

I have a question. What's the process to use these with the Manga Style Shaders? I can't seem to get it to work.

All I want the camera to do is do the outlines without conflicting with the Manga Style Shaders. Like I see in your Manga Style Shader promo image.

Looks like I will have to ask for a refund with this one. My question has been ignored, so what else can I do?

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited February 2014

nDelphi said:
    nDelphi said:
    zigraphix said:

Looks like I will have to ask for a refund with this one. My question has been ignored, so what else can I do?
    You can wait more than two hours for an answer...

I seriously doubt that zigraphix would be reading the forums 24×7 - that would leave no time for making more things for Daz Studio. Have patience. If you don't have an answer after 24 hours, then it's time to start thinking about alternate measures.

Post edited by robkelk on
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    nDelphi said:
    nDelphi said:
    zigraphix said:

I seriously doubt that zigraphix would be reading the forums 24×7 - that would leave no time for making more things for Daz Studio. Have patience. If you don't have an answer after 24 hours, then it's time to start thinking about alternate measures.

I thought he was around, he asked someone else to ask a question just about the same time I asked mine, didn't he? Anyway, I guess I am frustrated because I don't even have the benefit of documentation.

If he went to sleep I can understand this, but the lack of documentation also frustrates.

edited December 1969

nDelphi said:
    robkelk said:
    nDelphi said:
    nDelphi said:
    zigraphix said:

I thought he was around, he asked someone else to ask a question just about the same time I asked mine, didn't he? Anyway, I guess I am frustrated because I don't even have the benefit of documentation.

If he went to sleep I can understand this, but the lack of documentation also frustrates.

He (actually, she) is stuck at home with a miserable cold, and was, in fact, asleep. Normally I'd be trying to check this forum all day, but these products don't earn enough to pay the bills, so I do have a full time day job, as well.

There are some directions in the readme, but let's see if I can help you here. When I created the Manga Style render, I really did just apply Manga Style shaders to everything in the scene, set lights to get interesting shadows, load the camera and turn on outlines in the render settings using the included preset, and render.

What have you tried, and what's not working?

edited February 2014

zigraphix said:

He (actually, she) is stuck at home with a miserable cold, and was, in fact, asleep. Normally I'd be trying to check this forum all day, but these products don't earn enough to pay the bills, so I do have a full time day job, as well.

There are some directions in the readme, but let's see if I can help you here. When I created the Manga Style render, I really did just apply Manga Style shaders to everything in the scene, set lights to get interesting shadows, load the camera and turn on outlines in the render settings using the included preset, and render.

What have you tried, and what's not working?

My render should look like this:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10961/P90/#164441

The above is what I want the end result to be, and I was hoping, since I saw this in one of your promo images, to get this result with your ToonyCam adding the outlines. It would save me a lot of work not having to apply a geometry shell around the character or the other objects.

I have attached a render with the ToonyCam with outlines turned on. I see that the camera is doing something to the image, I just want the outlines.

I do hope you get better soon, I am just frustrated, sorry.

Oh, I don't see a readme file, I installed via DIM.

Update: I had to reupload the image, in the first one I forgot to remove the geometry shells.

Ninja.png
    900 x 900 - 633K
    Post edited by nDelphi on
    edited February 2014

Ok, in your original image (very nice, btw!), you're using some very fine screentones, which are actually rendering as shades of gray. ToonyCam is then cutting up areas of your render into the number of shading levels specified in the ToonyCam settings, so you're seeing blocks of different shades of gray, rather than the fine screentone you started with.

Here's how to fix it:

- In the Scene tab, select ToonyCam Pro
    - In the Parameters tab, you'll see all the things you can adjust with this camera.
    - Set "Shading Blend" to 1.00 (100%)
    - Set Shading Levels to some relatively high number, like 10
    - This will give you a render with no toon cel effects, just the outlines.

I hope this helps!

Edited to add: if this does what you want, you can select the camera and use File->Save As...-> Properties Preset... so you can easily apply these settings to future renders.

Also, regarding installing using DIM: you can view the readmes from within DIM -- go to the "installed" tab, filter to find the product you want, and click the "info" icon next to the product. You'll then get taken to the readme page, which in this case is here:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/18362/start

I know it's not that convenient. I wish the readmes were linked from the store pages, and downloaded with the product, the way they used to be. :(