Comments

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,781
    edited December 1969

I am inviting the LAMH guys to maybe help explain things

Rawn

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

orcadude said:
    I probably wasn't too clear (sorry, i tend to ramble).
    This screenshot should illustrate what i'm talking about (check the knee).

Oh, and to clarify - i'm not complaining, it's just a limitation of LAMH in its current state.

It is not so much a limitation of LAMH as it is that there is little to work with in that region for guide control. The sparseness of the mesh there coupled with the stretching that can occur can indeed lead to artifacts. Very similar to texture map stretching.

With that being said, it is possible to compensate for areas such as that. One can allocate a shavegroup specifically for the knee area to specifically allocate a number of hairs to the region. This would keep the haircount from decreasing over the expanded surface. One could also increase the random roots in that area so that the randomness keeps the pattern caused from the mesh from showing through.

There are a number of exciting developments coming for Look at my Hair, many of which will allow for easier manipulation so that this kind of thing is less likely to be an issue.

Kendall

edited December 1969

orcadude said:
    A really quick multi-pass render test of the default panther LAMH figure preset (with various genesis beefyness morphs applied).
    The fur is creating some bizarre interference patterns, due to LAMH follicles grown on a low-poly mesh (i presume).

I'll need to play around with it to figure out if i can frizz it out or something.
    There's no .lmh file provided for panther and for some reason, i can't get the existing scene preset to save in LAMH (it crashes), so will probably have to grow my own instead.

What version are you using that is crashing? If you experience a replicable crash situation, please report it to devel (at) look-at-my-hair.com , krsears (at) trdc.biz, or report it to the LAMH forums so that we can track down the origin of the problem.

Kendall

• orcadudeorcadude Posts: 24
    edited June 2014

It is not so much a limitation of LAMH as it is that there is little to work with in that region for guide control. The sparseness of the mesh there coupled with the stretching that can occur can indeed lead to artifacts. Very similar to texture map stretching.

With that being said, it is possible to compensate for areas such as that. One can allocate a shavegroup specifically for the knee area to specifically allocate a number of hairs to the region. This would keep the haircount from decreasing over the expanded surface. One could also increase the random roots in that area so that the randomness keeps the pattern caused from the mesh from showing through.

It's not the hair sparseness that's creating the artifacts, it's the starting position of the hair fibers.
    Since all the hairs are starting from a plane, the ends will form an approximation of a plane too, making the vertices between the plane visible. The solution would be to perform a faux catmull-clark or something similar on the face from which the hairs are grown + the neighbouring faces, then adjust the starting positions of hairs with a delta between that and the actual LAMH shave group face. In essence, subdividing the shave group mesh without keeping the actual subdivided mesh in RAM all the time.

But that's just a stupid and probably ill-informed idea, as i've never done any 3D graphics development.

What version are you using that is crashing? If you experience a replicable crash situation, please report it to devel (at) look-at-my-hair.com , krsears (at) trdc.biz, or report it to the LAMH forums so that we can track down the origin of the problem.

I would have, but for some reason, it stopped crashing and i can't reproduce anymore.
    Successfully saved, managed to reload.

It crashed once just now, but when i've tried to load again, it worked.

It's just a hunch, but i think it's something geograft related.
    I've removed the geografted tail, re-added it, then tried saving and it worked.

Similarly, when loading the preset failed, i've deleted the geografted tail and LAMH object, re-added the geograft, created a new LAMH object and reloaded and it worked.

Might just be a coincidence, though, as - like i've said - i can't reproduce it anymore.

Post edited by orcadude on
  • orcadudeorcadude Posts: 24
    edited June 2014

Ditched LAMH (for now), fooling around with Garibaldi's marschner shader...

1.jpg
    879 x 869 - 126K
    Post edited by orcadude on
  • DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited December 1969

Okay, I am getting a lot of confusion and hopefully someone can help. I got Cat Regenesis to use the LAMH presents as well as the skins, but not for the shape. So, I have my own cat-morphs applied to Genesis but it seems the LAMH group from Cat Regenesis refuses to go onto Genesis. It will only seemingly load another figure with the LAMH group already on it... what gives? I want to use the hair group with my own Genesis but I can't figure out hair, and experimenting causes DAZ to crash ~_~

Before anyone asks--I use DAZ Studio 4.6 and yes I bought and have used LAMH previously.

edited December 1969

the lamh for catworld is made with the geograft tail applied. If you do not have the tail on, it will not read the preset.

• smaker1smaker1 Posts: 275
    edited December 1969

Hello,

one stupid question! What is the best/quick way to suppress the hair on the body and keep only the hair on the face for catpeople wearing clothes?

I own the LAMH plug-in but I didn't found the way

Thanks

edited June 2014

smaker1 said:
    Hello,

one stupid question! What is the best/quick way to suppress the hair on the body and keep only the hair on the face for catpeople wearing clothes?

Thanks

Creating a custom density map that clears the areas that you don't want furred is currently the quickest/easiest way, unless you are using DS 4.6.3.50. In the latest version of DS something changed and we are tracking it down.

If you don't need "fine grained" control, you can change the visibility of the parts in the scene control.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

smaker1 said:
    Hello,

Thanks

In the "scene" tab you will see a drop-down arrow on the LAMH figure.....in the dropdown you will see the various parts to the LAMH figure. If you click on the "eye" icons for the various parts, it will turn off the visibility of that part.

Rawn

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,030
    edited December 1969

Okay, I am getting a lot of confusion and hopefully someone can help. I got Cat Regenesis to use the LAMH presents as well as the skins, but not for the shape. So, I have my own cat-morphs applied to Genesis but it seems the LAMH group from Cat Regenesis refuses to go onto Genesis. It will only seemingly load another figure with the LAMH group already on it... what gives? I want to use the hair group with my own Genesis but I can't figure out hair, and experimenting causes DAZ to crash ~_~

Before anyone asks--I use DAZ Studio 4.6 and yes I bought and have used LAMH previously.

One way is to load one of the Cat Regenesis figures. Go into the Shaping pane and find the slider for the Cat R. figure. Set it to zero. Turn up your cat-morphs. That should do it.
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    smaker1 said:
    Hello,

Thanks

In the "scene" tab you will see a drop-down arrow on the LAMH figure.....in the dropdown you will see the various parts to the LAMH figure. If you click on the "eye" icons for the various parts, it will turn off the visibility of that part.

Rawn

Thanks for your answer. I didn't give enough precisions: even If I hide some group in the scene tab, the fiberhair export use all the group defined in LAMH. I render in octane so I want to have only the face group to generate the fiberhair (less memory, no poke trough) That's why I was thinking of something in Lamh plug-in.

edited December 1969

smaker1 said:

Thanks for your answer. I didn't give enough precisions: even If I hide some group in the scene tab, the fiberhair export use all the group defined in LAMH. I render in octane so I want to have only the face group to generate the fiberhair (less memory, no poke trough) That's why I was thinking of something in Lamh plug-in.

Sorry, I dont know anything about octane...maybe Kendall Sears answer would help you better for that then.

Rawn

edited December 1969

smaker1 said:
    RawArt said:
    smaker1 said:
    Hello,

Thanks

Rawn

OK. For the fiberhair output you will need to create a custom density map. The 3d paint area is where you would do this. A word of warning: in DS 4.6.3.50+ the 3d paint facility and DS do not get along. A new beta is imminent that resolves that problem, but for the current store version you will need to use an external 2D paint program to create the necessary map then import it.

You may contact me at krsears (at) trdc.biz and I will help you along if you need it.

Kendall

edited December 1969

smaker1 said:
    RawArt said:
    smaker1 said:
    Hello,

Thanks

Rawn

OK. For the fiberhair output you will need to create a custom density map. The 3d paint area is where you would do this. A word of warning: in DS 4.6.3.50+ the 3d paint facility and DS do not get along. A new beta is imminent that resolves that problem, but for the current store version you will need to use an external 2D paint program to create the necessary map then import it.

You may contact me at krsears (at) trdc.biz and I will help you along if you need it.

Kendall

Thanks! If I well understand I must create a new density map from start. I can't create one from the provided file from Rawart and then delete the body part just to have only the head part. Yes?
    It's time for me to take the plunge in the lamh Plugin!!

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,760
    edited August 2014

I am trying to figure out what uv map this texture uses. I am trying to use this on Genesis 2 male creature creator set and I was wondering which uv set to make it work.

Edit: I restarted dS and now it looks better.

Post edited by Sfariah D on
    edited December 1969

I am trying to figure out what uv map this texture uses. I am trying to use this on Genesis 2 male creature creator set and I was wondering which uv set to make it work.

The males were based on M4's UV's

Rawn

edited December 1969

RawArt said:

The males were based on M4's UV's

Rawn

Thanks so that means I needed Micheal 4 for Genesis 2 and I just installed that which explains why it now works.

testrender000.png
    1356 x 922 - 2M
    edited August 2014

I have had problems with Cat World Regenesis HD since I bought it. I CANNOT get the LAMH to work. Instead, every time I go to click on the LAMH load icon, all it does it load a second Genesis figure with the hair (and if I go to delete it or move it, DAZ crashes). This really sucks. How can I load JUST the hair by itself, and onto my current figure? Any time I go to People-->Genesis-->Cat World and load any of those icons, it just loads yet another Genesis. Like what the heck is the use of that?

Sorry but after months of trying I still can't figure it out!! >.>

Previously, someone also said just load one of the Cat World Regenesis Figures... No, that didn't work. When I go to click on LAMH, again, it just loads yet another figure. Besides, I already have a character made, I don't want to start from scratch! Shouldn't have to!

Post edited by DrowElfMorwen on
    edited December 1969

If you click on the LAMH icon it is supposed to load the genesis figure with the hair. It is a full character preset, so it is working exactly as it was designed to.

If you want to load the hair on a different character, or a genesis already in the scene you will have to use the LAMH tab.
    Select your genesis figure in the scene, open the LAMH tab, and click on "Attach LAMH preset"..then you will have to sort through your library and find my catworld folder and choose the appropriate LAMH preset from there (the different cats have different presets)

Rawn

edited August 2014

Thank you for the suggestion. I went to try this, however, apparently there are only 3 available lmh files:

Cat World Regenesis HD - Lion LAMH

Content :
    /General/Look At My Hair Presets/RawArt/CatWorld/Raw_CWFurTail.lmh
    /General/Look At My Hair Presets/RawArt/CatWorld/Raw_CWFurTailF.lmh
    /General/Look At My Hair Presets/RawArt/CatWorld/Raw_CWTailMane.lmh

All three have to do with the tail, but I know one exists somewhere else. It's the one that loads with the figure. How do I figure out where it is? Searching my entire DAZ/content folder brings up nothing except those three files.

Alternatively, I have tried to see if I can just "steal" the hair group from the extra Genesis figure and place it on my character, but I haven't figured out if this is possible.

Post edited by DrowElfMorwen on
    edited August 2014

Thank you for the suggestion. I went to try this, however, apparently there are only 3 available lmh files:

Cat World Regenesis HD - Lion LAMH

Content :
    /General/Look At My Hair Presets/RawArt/CatWorld/Raw_CWFurTail.lmh
    /General/Look At My Hair Presets/RawArt/CatWorld/Raw_CWFurTailF.lmh
    /General/Look At My Hair Presets/RawArt/CatWorld/Raw_CWTailMane.lmh

All three have to do with the tail, but I know one exists somewhere else. It's the one that loads with the figure. How do I figure out where it is? Searching my entire DAZ/content folder brings up nothing except those three files.

Alternatively, I have tried to see if I can just "steal" the hair group from the extra Genesis figure and place it on my character, but I haven't figured out if this is possible.

Those ARE the files.
    The first is "Cat World Fur and Tail"
    The second "Cat World Fur and Tail for female"
    The Third " "Cat World Fur with mane" for the male lion

There is nothing else to look for.

Rawn

Post edited by RawArt on
    edited December 1969

Okay, I guess the names just confused me! Thank you. I think when I clicked them nothing happened, but I'll try again.

edited December 1969

Have you ever thought of making a tail for genesis 2 that would take textures from these sets?

edited December 1969

Have you ever thought of making a tail for genesis 2 that would take textures from these sets?

Nope, because the textures for the tail would not make sense without the body textures.

Rawn

edited December 1969

RawArt said:

Nope, because the textures for the tail would not make sense without the body textures.

Rawn

Hmmm but with M4 for g2m I can use the textures on genesis 2 but I do not have a way to use the tail on g2m. I understand that out of the box the textures won't work on g2m. Wonder if I could figure out how to use Photoshop to texture g2m creature creator tail to work with these textures. I know I cannot use your textures if I want to redistribute the tail textures.

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited December 1969

In Hinduism Narasimha Deva is the fourth Avatar of Lord Vishnu. Nara means Human, Simha means Lion and a Deva is a divine entity.

Namaste Narasimhaya

NamasteNarasimhaya.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 484K
    edited December 1969

MN-150374 said:
    In Hinduism Narasimha Deva is the fourth Avatar of Lord Vishnu. Nara means Human, Simha means Lion and a Deva is a divine entity.

Namaste Narasimhaya

Very Cool!

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 575
    edited December 1969

I know this might have been asked somewhere else, but... is there a way to simulate a nice huge lion's mane for the lion morph? Might there be a LAMH setting which does this, or maybe an existing hair prop which can be resized for a proper leonine look?

Thanks!

edited December 1969

The mane should have a separate hair group, so with lamh you should be able to adjust its length. If you have the full version you could also style it to a different look too if that is what you want.