[Released] ROG Red Crow Inn [Commercial]

Comments

• So, uhhhhhh, I might die of happiness if you decided to do a modular set that would work with that new dungeon generator script....

• StrangeFateStrangeFate Posts: 758

I'd have to look closer at it but I suspect it would make since rather repeating, making it harder for spaces to look unique.

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

Just picked this up with Scar Bundle. Cannot wait to try it out.

A suggestion, sometime in the future if you could put out an exterior for this with maybe a bit of cobblestone street and a facade or two perhaps. I am sure you would do an exemplary job!

One of the future projects planned is a Fantasy/medieval town square which would have a building that matches the windows/door etc of the Inn to serve as an exterior for it.

The only issue will probably be video memory for Iray if you try to cram everything into 1 scene.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,324

One of the future projects planned is a Fantasy/medieval town square which would have a building that matches the windows/door etc of the Inn to serve as an exterior for it.

The only issue will probably be video memory for Iray if you try to cram everything into 1 scene.

Hopefully, I will have my 2080ti by the time this comes out.

Cheers,

Alex.

• brimstoneomegabrimstoneomega Posts: 343
    edited July 2020

Some adventurers relaxing at the Red Crow after a long campaign.

Cindi and Callen at the Inn.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by brimstoneomega on
  • One of the future projects planned is a Fantasy/medieval town square which would have a building that matches the windows/door etc of the Inn to serve as an exterior for it.

My RTX Titan and I are READY! 

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

Some adventurers relaxing at the Red Crow after a long campaign.

Wow... Fantastic Job Brimstone.... awesome.  That really tells a story!

Hopefully we'll all have cheaper 3080s by then :)

@brimstoneomega - Nice Render!.

Been seeing a lot of renders in the galleries these last few days using the armor, always nice to see them :)

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

Glad you're all enjoying it :)

There will be more of everything for sure.

@Colin - That's a Daz bug I reported back in 2016 when I first started doing stuff. I don't use 3Delight anymore so I'm guilty of not testing our stuff for it, but I really figured they'd fix it... I had provided them with a scene and models as they asked to replicate it.

The issue is that in 3Delight, open edges with weight (for edge creasing) cause the creased polygons to not be rendered in SubD. I don't think many vendors use SubD or especially edge creasing so running into the bug is probably rare.

I actually didn't know that Loop SubD worked. I can tell from your render that it doesn't smooth edges the same as Catmark, it probably interprets the edge crease values differently than Catmark does, making them stronger.

It's not too hard to work around the bug when you plan for it so we'll do that in future. Adapting existing props right now would mean going back to 3D and make sure the creasing can be removed on those edges without affecting the model and reimporting the object back into Daz. 

I'll see if there's some way to update the Daz object without having to redo all the Daz stuff (moving and setting morph properties, materials etc). Not sure only updating base geometry would do atm.

EDIT: Checked in Daz... It looks like rasing the SubD level by 1 in Daz when using the Loop algo, will render about the same as Catmark at 1 level lower in 3Delight. Almost everything in the Inn that uses SubD should be at SubD lvl 2, going up to 3 for renders with loop should make the smoothing look properly.

Raising SubD level will consume more memory and probably take a bit longer to render of course :/

I ran into that missing polys issues too. Haven't started dealing with the Tavern, yet, but I hit it with some of the furniture in the Bedroom package. It only seems to afftect wood surfaces. But then, those are the ones most likely to have the softened edges.

In any case, being stuborn, and despising Iray, I found that I could bypass the missing polys problem by exporting the figure as an .obj, then importing the .obj back into the scene, and then applying the original textures. With unrigged props that's the end of it. With rigged props, like the dresser and wardrobe, Turning the doors invisible before exporting the case worked well. It does mean needing to load two versions of the figure into the same place and parent the case to the rigged prop. But with the overlap, there will be polys everywhere there are supposed to be. If I had the patience to re-rig things, I'd probably do that. But I'm used to working with frankenfurniture.

I still need to go in and restore bump and displacement, and what all. But so far everything has its polys back.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,861

a video

edited August 2020

Well, once I started doing conversions of the tavern package I found that metal also sometimes loses polys in 3DL as well. Nowhere nearly as badly as wood, however. Stone doesn't seem to do that, though. Or at any rate, it hasn't done it yet. I haven't converted *everything* in the package, but I've worked my way through most of it.

For the Red Crow Inn conversions, I didn't use converters. I used them for the bedroom, and they work quite satisfactorily, but they lose the ability to apply the normals, since the resulting converted surfaces lose that channel. So these were done with the full do-si-do of export as .obj, re-import the .obj, and then re-apply surfaces, including the normals.

With that method, you lose any rigging. However, it's posible to do an end run around that by going through the do-si-do for each component of a rigged item, parenting each converted portion to its original counterpart, and then deleting the polys of the original. You end up with something that functions as a rigged item, since the bones of the rig seem to remain, despite the loss of the polys, and you don't end up doubleing the poly count like you would if you just hide the original. But you do end up making a bit of a mess in your scene tab from a slew of parented components. Learning rigging might be more effective in the long run. But I wasn't ready to do that.

In any case, this is not actually a render. It's just a screenshot of a spot render test of an illustration in progress. I still need to add the characters and may shift some of the props about. 

I'm really liking the result. I'm doing illustrations for one of my publications projects and for that kind of thing, I don't want photorealism. I want the images to look like something that has been printed in a book. 3DL does an excellent jb of that.

Leaky_Cauldron.jpg
    793 x 1293 - 193K
    Post edited by JOdel on
  • Since I installed the new daz-studio version, with the filament preview mode.... I'm having lots of problems in the tavern

Preview is way too bright, renders are extremely dark.

smoke items don¡t look well in preview, but is not a big deal.

I worked to separate different parts of the inn in different groups to hide in an easier (for me) way. I don't know if the problem is my file, or anyone using this product out of the box is experimenting any problem too...

thanks!

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,241
    edited November 2020
    Zarquen said:

Since I installed the new daz-studio version, with the filament preview mode.... I'm having lots of problems in the tavern

I worked to separate different parts of the inn in different groups to hide in an easier (for me) way. I don't know if the problem is my file, or anyone using this product out of the box is experimenting any problem too...

thanks!

filament is not an iray preview mode, if that helps.

Post edited by lilweep on
  • Zarquen said:

Since I installed the new daz-studio version, with the filament preview mode.... I'm having lots of problems in the tavern

thanks!

Filament makes shadows optional, so you are probably getting external environment light streaming in. On the other hand, Filament doesn't (currently) do emissives in DS. It will take some experimentation to get a reasonable match on lighting, and even then it is going to be far from exact.

edited November 2020
    Zarquen said:

thanks!

To fix the bright Filament viewport:

Find the exterior lights group in the Inn scene you have open, should be called 'Light Sources - Exterior - DAY Light Setup' or NIGHT if it's a night scene.
    Open the group and click on the Sun DistantLight (Or moon in night scenes if I remember correctly)
    Then in Parameters Tab > Display > click OFF 'Visible in Viewport'

That should fix things in Filament without affecting Iray renders.

As for the rest... renders look as they should in the last Publishing build and I didn't notice any difference in previous builds. Perhaps some lighting settings got changed in the scenes  if they're too dark in Iray ?
    If it's too dark in Texture shaded mode, just hit Ctrl + L

The smoke issue seems to be a problem with FIlament not liking the Diffuse map used in the smoke material for some reason. There's nothing special about it so I don't know what's causing it.
    A simple solution is to find all the Smoke nodes/meshes in the Daz scene (most will be instances) and remove the 'Base Color' texture map in the Smoke material. That should fix the smoke in Filament.

The smoke will perhaps be slightly brighter in Iray renders after that. If so, you can either make the base color a bit darker or lower the Cutout Opacity to 0.75 or so to compensate, haven't really tested it, but that would be the 2 quickest ways to compensate if the smoke changed intensity.

Hope that helps.

Post edited by StrangeFate on
  • efron_24efron_24 Posts: 473

great idea.. we hope you do it

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,241
    edited December 2020

In the interim, for people wanting an external, this building by fernieski could work - it has similar windows.  It's what im using.  Fernieski has quite a number of external medieval houses/buildings.

Capture22.JPG
    1926 x 1167 - 234K
    Post edited by lilweep on

What market? Or is that shop on DevianArt or some such?

• JOdel said:

What market? Or is that shop on DevianArt or some such?

Sent you a message 

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited December 2020
    Nvm.
    Post edited by thd777 on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,324

I've just tried Googling fernieski and got nowhere. Can someone point me in the right direction, too?

Cheers,

Alex.

• alexhcowley said:

I've just tried Googling fernieski and got nowhere. Can someone point me in the right direction, too?

Cheers,

Alex.

Message sent 

• epep Posts: 7

This is a really well done product. A question though: why is the topology of the rectangular table tops composed of triangles whereas the other props that I've seen are all quads?

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

I'm interested in that asset as well...why are we being so secretive about it? 

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

That is a really nice one for sure, almost afraid to find out the price..

• cajhincajhin Posts: 154
    edited March 2021

I googled "LMGrafika" instead of "fernieski", first hit.

Finally found a rather simple, medieval house.

How much effort is it, to assemble/apply textures on everything in DAZ? (I assume it's not ready to render out of the box)

update: got the "Medieval house fantasy 01" to serve as the outside of R/S Medieval Fantasy Bedroom.

I think it's well done and doesn't clash with the R/S style, but, the number of issues exceeds my patience. (plugged in the 15 base maps for a start, looks decent, but 1/4 of the roof is magically semi-transparent, the window blinds intersect with other stuff, can't make them invisible because that would take the window frames with it, etc pp. There are 15 surfaces but a single geometry. Found no magic Blender bullet, either. That might all be solvable, but not by me in 2 hours. Would rather spend my free time playing with something polished, so thanks once more for the beautiful Crow Inn with all the details and rigging).

Poor witch in the wood still has no home. She deals in herbs, not in fancy 3D stuff, so she can't afford a luxo four bedroom apartment stuffed with preciously carved furniture (but Mr fancy hobbit tells me to say thanks for the new home, much pleased).

Post edited by cajhin on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,861
    edited June 2021

a half hour of inn ambience

(rendered in UE4)

with patrons

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,188
    edited January 2022

Is it OK to render a modern guy in the Inn?

G81M Meta Mixer Character 4 mod with body morphs_001_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on

If the inn  is still in business, why not?