This is not the thread you're looking for...

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,100

This isn't the thread I am looking for as I am looking for that HDMI cable to connect that TV to my Dell Notebook.  I did plug in my TiVo streaming device but had to look for the remote.  It was next to the fan near my bed.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,578

Sfariah D said:

This isn't the thread I am looking for as I am looking for that HDMI cable to connect that TV to my Dell Notebook.  I did plug in my TiVo streaming device but had to look for the remote.  It was next to the fan near my bed.

Where's the remote for the fan? 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,034

my TV's Magic remote broke my fan

seriously, it also has a remote I never use, it's a fancy misting fan but now after all it's LEDs flashed when using the TV it won't run and won't stop oscillating and misting with no fan action, unplugging it did not reset it

tossed it in the kitchen for now but guess I will have to try and open it up and find if there is a chip or something I can isolate from some sort of battery backup because it's useless as is.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,722

I'm eventually going to need a new remote control. I have a Logitech Harmony remote and Logitech have apparently gotten out of the remote control business. So whenever mine stops working, I'll need a replacement. But all of the ones I see on Amazon are from randomly named companies that appear to have been created within the last ten minutes, and they all look like they could have been created with the same internal parts with a different shell on the outside. I saw a couple of startup companies with products that seemed interesting, but they both disappeared.

NylonGirl said:

I'm eventually going to need a new remote control. I have a Logitech Harmony remote and Logitech have apparently gotten out of the remote control business. So whenever mine stops working, I'll need a replacement. But all of the ones I see on Amazon are from randomly named companies that appear to have been created within the last ten minutes, and they all look like they could have been created with the same internal parts with a different shell on the outside. I saw a couple of startup companies with products that seemed interesting, but they both disappeared.

The latest in planned obsolescence:  remotes that disappear. 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

We have a speaker bar that turns on the fan, but the fan remote won't do anything with the speaker bar except for messing up the connection to the sub woofer(the speaker thingie, not the under-dog)... the fan remote however will cause the oscillating ceramic heater to stop working if you accidentally touch the it (usually the fan is not on when the heater is)... the remote for the heater barely operates the heater so no chance of it bothering anything else.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,439
    edited January 15

I'm an old timer, I remember when people had legs.  Something happened to leg evolution after "Zenith Space Command" appeared(based on ultrasonic tones).  But even then they had problems.  Like changing channels when you jiggled your keys.indecision  

Zenith_Space_Command.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 248K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

I dunno, I knew someone in my childhood using a broomstick to change channels

edited January 15

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I dunno, I knew someone in my childhood using a broomstick to change channels

Small world.  We did that too.  In the mid-sixties we had a b/w Zenith TV, but the somewhat cheaper model without the "Space Command" option.  We had, instead, a button.  Big button. One inch diameter, on the front where the channel dial would be.  It activated a motor that rotated the actual channel selector mechanism inside the chassis.  Closest person to the TV had the job of leaning over and punching the button until it stopped on the desired channel (2-13), but that was too much movement.  So sometimes a long stick came in handy, but that was still too much effort.  So, 14 year old me solders a long piece of lamp cord and a button in parallel with the TV button, and lounged on the couch as master of the remote button.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930

...we kids were the "remote control" back then.  The old B&W and the Colour sets  we had (both were Zenith) had rotary dials for changing the channel and volume instead of push buttons.   Living under the approach and departure path for the city's airport didn't help, as every time a big propeller plane like a four engine DC-6, Stratocruiser, or Lockheed Constellation passed overhead,  Didn't happen with the early jets but, those were loud, much more than today.

The colour set was the biggest on the market at the time a 25" diagonal screen  which was more rounded on the sides. 

1964-zenith-color-tv.jpg
    400 x 300 - 33K
    edited January 15

Those old color "roundies" are hard to find these days.  But this guy fixed up one of those upscale Zenith 25 inchers.  I remember that even the bog standard 21 inchers drew about 500 watts.surprise  (vacuum tubesfrown

LeatherGryphon said:

Those old color "roundies" are hard to find these days.  But this guy fixed up one of those upscale Zenith 25 inchers.  I remember that even the bog standard 21 inchers drew about 500 watts.surprise  (vacuum tubesfrown

I'm glad to see it's wearing a mask -- can't be too careful. 

...so does the stuffed gorilla's arm need to be in that position for better reception?

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,722

Yes.

• kyoto kid said:

...so does the stuffed gorilla's arm need to be in that position for better reception?

It's celebrating not exploding (yet).

When I was in grade school, I used an ancient black and white tv to watch cartoons.  It was ancient in the 90's.  My dad wanted me to throw it out, so I had to throw it out.  I didn't want the tv be thrown out but father knows best. (aka kid can't argue with father)

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,641

Sfariah D said:

When I was in grade school, I used an ancient black and white tv to watch cartoons.  It was ancient in the 90's.  My dad wanted me to throw it out, so I had to throw it out.  I didn't want the tv be thrown out but father knows best. (aka kid can't argue with father)

When I was in grade school, my father used a color tv to watch westerns. It was modern in the 60's. And whenever I asked to watch it, the step-monster threw me out in sub zero weather . . . training me to never ask people for anything, (aka never ask a stepmonster).

ArtAngel said:

Sfariah D said:

When I was in grade school, my father used a color tv to watch westerns. It was modern in the 60's. And whenever I asked to watch it, the step-monster threw me out in sub zero weather . . . training me to never ask people for anything, (aka never ask a stepmonster).

Some parenting techniques aren't thought out other than my father did this, so it is good.

My father has other horrible ideas on how to help me.  I am not neuro typical so don't treat me like one.  I want to be understood as neuro-divergent.  Some of his ideas is to force me to live in extreme minimalist life style without taking my personality into consideration.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,641

Sfariah D said:

ArtAngel said:

Sfariah D said:

Some parenting techniques aren't thought out other than my father did this, so it is good.

My father has other horrible ideas on how to help me.  I am not neuro typical so don't treat me like one.  I want to be understood as neuro-divergent.  Some of his ideas is to force me to live in extreme minimalist life style without taking my personality into consideration.

Son (now 42) has been neuro-divergent for all of his life, and brilliant, and . . . 

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744

LeatherGryphon said:

I'm an old timer, I remember when people had legs.  Something happened to leg evolution after "Zenith Space Command" appeared(based on ultrasonic tones).  But even then they had problems.  Like changing channels when you jiggled your keys.indecision  

I remember the jingling keys bit, it was RCA,  but keys changes channels!  The cobweb removal for that recollection generated plenty of dust.  

• I'll never forget the Zenith Color set we had back in the 60's.  It featured an almost-round picture tube and a vast assortment of vacuum-tubes which had to be replaced every 2 years.  You knew it was time to change them when football fields began to look purple.  I have fond memories of going to Radio Shack with our bag of tubes to test.  We always had to purchase a few replacements. When the set was powered up, it emitted a series crackles and pops and faint traces of ozone wafted through the air.  If you sat too close, the hair on your arms would stand up.  Touching any metal surface would usually result in a small shock :-)  I logged countless hours in front of that wonderous beast.  

...I remember thise days. 

Seemed to take forever to warm up and the colour to stabilise  Often you had to turn it on about 10 min before the programme you wanted to watch because you'd have to fine tune the colour balance and adjust the antenna for the best reception..

The first time I came across cable television was in summer of 1976 when I was visiting a college friend in New York (Long Island). Watching advert free films and programmes on HBO back then was like, "wow".

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited January 18

kyoto kid said:

...I remember thise days. 

Seemed to take forever to warm up and the colour to stabilise  Often you had to turn it on about 10 min before the programme you wanted to watch because you'd have to fine tune the colour balance and adjust the antenna for the best reception..

The first time I came across cable television was in summer of 1976 when I was visiting a college friend in New York (Long Island). Watching advert free films and programmes on HBO back then was like, "wow".

When I was a little kid I didn't know what cable TV was... I didn't know it was a thing until I saw an episode of Sanford and Son where Fred wanted cable TV, apparently I wasn't aware it existed in Manhattan at the time, but not in the outer boroughs like Queens where I lived (it didn't show up there until the 80s)... I didn't see much use for it because there didn't seem to be much else special about it besides more sports and a lack of commercials.

By the time it came to Queens, it was full of commercials and lots of useless stuff... 24 hour news and science stuff seemed interesting, but Nova and frontline were on regular public TV, and at the time the NYC area had good signal strength so it took years for me to get an HBO package... probably the early 90s, by then there was The History Channel, The Science Channel, Discovery Channel and Science Fiction channel... this was all before the History, Science and Discovery channels all became dedicated to Ancient Aliens, Alternate WW2 history speculation, Bigfoot and ghosts... 

By the end of the 90s it was no longer "57 channels and nothin' on" it was like 187 and half of them were alien conspiracies, "what if Hitler..." or six half-naked dumb people in a jungle trying to survive by being as tasteless and b--chy as possible... 
    If anyone is ever is confused how we got down the road to the social media hell we are in today:... Tabloid gossip and bigfoot newspapers → afternoon broadcast trash TV → dedicated trash TV cable stations → most cable turns into "Reality TV"/conjectural/conspiracy/Alien-bigfoot TV → Social Media serving 24/7 buffet of your deepest and dumbest fears that everyone is happier then you are and that lizard men are breeding with Hollywood celebrities and trying to control you through the fluoride in your minty toothpaste... (for the record, it's penguins... it's always been penguins).

It was all fun and games when it was the 70s and you'd see that silly tabloid headline "Elvis Is Alive On Mars" and 95% of the people would laugh at the ridiculousness of that, knowing he was probably just on the moon in cryogenic recovery mode while his human brain adapted to his cyborg body... 95% of the people still saw the ironic silliness of that... until TV shows started "speculating" on the possibilities these things are real... "What if?" became "Why not?" and eventually it all went from silly speculation to "its a fact" because if it's on TV it has to be true... 

Rod Serling warned us with the Twilight Zone episode "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street", but we failed to make that a required course in high school, so now we live with the consequences of fifty years of speculation on the possibility that Cyborg Elvis and his army of Space Penguins are waiting on mars to return to earth to reclaim his Blue Suede Shoes and retake his throne in Graceland...

But yeah... once upon a time Cable TV didn't have commercials and Bigfoot wasn't real.

Post edited by McGyver on

We have glorified stupidity.  Which in itself is pretty stupid.frown

...amen.

This is not the thread I am looking for, but what is the thread I am looking for?

I watched a tutorial the other day that the uploader videod using their Ring Doorbell 

edited January 24

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I watched a tutorial the other day that the uploader videod using their Ring Doorbell 

Ah ha, the old "stone knives and bearskins" situation. 

I keep looking for an on-line "Zoom" court case where the litigant logs in with his doorbell camera.  I've already seen several court Zoom logins from car dashcams.indecision  

edited January 24

I wish I could recall what the tutorial was for to refind it, was not logged in to YouTube so not in search history

I can record sound with my security camera too so I guess it's always a homemovie option

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

I rather use my webcam for making YouTube videos.  Unless I'm doing a DS tutorial.