This is not the thread you're looking for...

Comments

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,722

All of this is making sense.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,641

kyoto kid said:

LeatherGryphon said:

My mother was an energetic person.  A simple small town  girl.  Played Fernch horn in high school orchestra.  Married in '47.  Tended kitchen & counter in the small cafe/gas station that my dad owned at the crossroads in our little town.   Later she bought her own ladders & table & extendable walking planks, and created a small business hanging wallpaper.  She was a little woman but would take on jobs that big burly men would turn down.  As her reputation grew she was in demand by owners of some of the biggest houses in the area and met a lot of influential people.
    Later she became interested in town history and county politics.  She collected a large library of historical  town & county records and geneological records of local people. She was the goto person for information about people, places & history in the town and county.  She eventually became the first woman legislator for the county.  There is a historcal roadside sign honoring her placed in the town by the State.  She died too young at 64.  Probably because of her incessant cigarette smoking.  Her library was added to the historical library for the county.

...very nice story, sounds like she was a wonderful person. 

Yeah unfortunately cigarettes became immensely popular for our parents' generation (the war and films of the day only made it worse) and was passed on to ours.  Crikey even doctors endorsed certain brands in adverts. 

I never knew my mother well. People spoke highly of her. Said she was beautiful, an angel, and yodeled like there was no tomorrow, but all Iknow is she never smoked and died of cancer just before Christmas 1960 at age 34, just after I turned four. Every morning, before she died, she lit the coal stove so my brothers would have a warm room to dress in. My father was away (military) so we were raised by babysitters (sometimes I get shipped out to fake Aunts. And, God knows we went thru those sitters like tissues, but that's what happens when your brothers light their pantyhose on fire while they are wearing them. How she managed to raise a family while dying of cancer for four years while my father was stationed away, is nothing short of amazing.

Did any of the sitters survive?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,100

That is not the rodent you are looking for!

wait?  Was I looking for a rodent?  I know how to prove a rodent exists in the house (by finding it) but how can I prove there is no rodent hiding in the house
    house!

I think I need a new DS mouse, but not a screaming little mouse in my squeaky house.  Or did I get that messed up!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,578

Sfariah D said:

wait?  Was I looking for a rodent?  I know how to prove a rodent exists in the house (by finding it) but how can I prove there is no rodent hiding in the house
    house!

I think I need a new DS mouse, but not a screaming little mouse in my squeaky house.  Or did I get that messed up!

I wouldn't want my house to be squeaking or screaming. 

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

-38°C outside, and yeah my house is doing all that and more...this is not the winter I'm looking for.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,439

Sven Dullah said:

-38°C outside, and yeah my house is doing all that and more...this is not the winter I'm looking for.

That's nigh on the mark where neither C nor F ain't no never mind. surprise

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,100

Fixmypcmike said:

Sfariah D said:

house!

I wouldn't want my house to be squeaking or screaming. 

Thanks!  Actually I needed that little laugh. 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

I've been looking for this thread.  Finally found it.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,034

I stepped on a plastic stegosaurus toy yesterday, it was worse than a Lego

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Oh, he bit you, did he? And he wouldn't lego? 

LeatherGryphon said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

LOL, no the spikey back scales hurt

edited January 6

A Ponderable:  The "oh he bit you, did he?" line reminded me of this. 

Could it be that Elmira Gulch was the first viral Karen?indecision

And for what it's worth, from what I've heard, stegasourasi are gentle creatures.  With gentle people that is.angel

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

WendyLuvsCatz said:

LeatherGryphon said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Further proof that the back plates not only served to regulate body temperature, but as a defense against giant humans who roamed the prehistoric world, trampling poor dinos as they pleased.

McGyver said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

LeatherGryphon said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Further proof that the back plates not only served to regulate body temperature, but as a defense against giant humans who roamed the prehistoric world, trampling poor dinos as they pleased.

Also enough data to form a theory that, as humans got smaller, Stegosaurus evolved into Lego. 

• They've also learned to hide in trees.

I think it was Emily Twain or Mark Dickinson that said "He that runs barefoot, blindly beneath the Cantaloupe tree, will soon feel the spikes of the new fallen stegosaurus"...

Honestly though... having fallen and rolled down a hill layered in dry chestnut shell spikes (while being chased by my older brother)... I'd take barefoot and the stegosaurus... 

If one has never seen a dried sweet chestnut shell, it's like a tree got jealous of whatever cacti were up to and decided it could make entire swathes of woods painful to fall down in or walk through. 

Speaking of weird creatures up trees...

Those are peacocks (peahens actually) sleeping in a tree... large ghostly light colored birds that tuck their heads back so they look headless, perched in the creepiest, most haunted as hell looking tree.

The North Shore of Long Island has lots of places were it's not uncommon to see peacocks... back in the Guilded Age, it was very fashionable to have flocks of them roaming your palatial estate... over time many got fed up looking pretty for the rich jerks and decided to move into the woods outside the grounds... Apparently they do fairly well as they have similar diet and needs as turkeys, which are native... 

Actually, turkeys are far weirder to see in a tree since they are generally larger and more ungainly looking, but the light colored headless peacocks are just creepy... (for some reason a lot of the peacocks here seem to have light colored bodies... but still have the colorful plumage).

edited January 7

I cannot imagine they fly very far, the males at least with those tails

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

NylonGirl said:

LOL. Are you referring to my dreadful brothers? Or is this an hilarious coincident?
  • McGyver said:

Those are peacocks (peahens actually) sleeping in a tree... large ghostly light colored birds that tuck their heads back so they look headless, perched in the creepiest, most haunted as hell looking tree.

The North Shore of Long Island has lots of places were it's not uncommon to see peacocks... back in the Guilded Age, it was very fashionable to have flocks of them roaming your palatial estate... over time many got fed up looking pretty for the rich jerks and decided to move into the woods outside the grounds... Apparently they do fairly well as they have similar diet and needs as turkeys, which are native... 

Actually, turkeys are far weirder to see in a tree since they are generally larger and more ungainly looking, but the light colored headless peacocks are just creepy... (for some reason a lot of the peacocks here seem to have light colored bodies... but still have the colorful plumage).

Gilded Age (as in, coated with gold) I think. Guilds were pretty much in eclipse by the Gilded Age.

edited January 7

WendyLuvsCatz said:

The males can be found in trees too, but I mostly see them on roofs open structures like a trusswork support or something like that... There are a lot more females than males, from what I've seen, probably like a six to one ratio or something.

The ones in the area I took the picture at actually live mostly around a restaurant that was an inn in the 1600s... while it's nice (expensive actually) and has a little "village" of tiny old timey shops around it, it's adjacent to a big shopping center with a large parking lot... the real estate company my wife works for has its headquarters there and she's always taking pictures of the peacocks just milling about near where she parks.

They are very out of place looking because you'll see them hanging out by the Whole Foods supermarket or in front of Marshals clothing store, which are chain-store places you generally don't see peacocks at (I have no idea where they do their shopping in general)... and they are absolutely fearless of people, they just walk into traffic or in front of people walking... it's funny to see people unfamiliar with their presence walk up to the males, who'll fan out the tail feathers... it'll usually stop people dead in their tracks.

And the reaction to the calls is amusing too... it's a loud and piercing "Meow-like" sound...  totally freaks people out.

Post edited by McGyver on

ArtAngel said:

NylonGirl said:

LOL. Are you referring to my dreadful brothers? Or is this an hilarious coincident?

This question was actually about your babysitters. For some reason, stockings catching on fire tend to get my attention. 

Richard Haseltine said:

McGyver said:

Gilded Age (as in, coated with gold) I think. Guilds were pretty much in eclipse by the Gilded Age.

Missed that... Apple spellcheck pretty much writes whatever it wants at this point, if you don't go back and read everything word for word you're bound to miss something idiotically replaced... unless I'm remembering incorrectly, it kept trying to replace the correct spelling of "gilded" with "guilty" (its doing it now)... I probably saw it stop trying to insert "guilty" or the lack of a "y" and figured it finally accepted what I typed... predictive text has gotten so bad since iOS 17 it's worse that the earliest iOS versions... it seemed like the fixed the thing where you type something, see the correct word is accepted, and move on to tge next few words and suddenly see the words move, indicating something just changed, and sure enough it substituted a different word for the one you typed and it accepted... it wastes so much time because now it's super difficult to select a word if it a bad substitution like "Flaw" instead of  "Flawed"... you have to constantly retype several words or play "whack-a-mole" poking around trying to select what you want... I should have left it as guilty* age though, because so many of the gilded age rich folks built their empires on some crime or exploitation or otter** awful deeds.

I feel like when the AI revolution occurs, it won't nuke us or unleash killer robots on us... it will just annoy the snot out of us until collectively our brains explode.

*So right there it now insisted on "gilded" instead of "guilty" like I typed.

** I'm leaving that one... "other" was the word I wrote... admittedly I recently wrote "otter" several times, but not today.

NylonGirl said:

ArtAngel said:

NylonGirl said:

This question was actually about your babysitters. For some reason, stockings catching on fire tend to get my attention. 

My brothers were known as the little terrors, but that's what happens when a mom (6 kids from age 10-4) dies. We had sitters for years while she was dying of cancer. My brothers rebelled, lit their pantyhose on fire while they were wearing them. They were so bad that locals chased them with salt guns. Yet at the church, 6 velvet prayer stools awaited our arrival every sunday, when they acted like little saints. Word travelled fast. Sitters refused to work for Dad after the last stunt, so my sister raised us . . .  sort of . . .  until she turned 14, when we headed to the other side of the island. That's where we met the sitter demon. The monster from hell. It was payback time for the boys and me. But sometimes the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited January 10

McGyver said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

The males can be found in trees too, but I mostly see them on roofs open structures like a trusswork support or something like that... There are a lot more females than males, from what I've seen, probably like a six to one ratio or something.

The ones in the area I took the picture at actually live mostly around a restaurant that was an inn in the 1600s... while it's nice (expensive actually) and has a little "village" of tiny old timey shops around it, it's adjacent to a big shopping center with a large parking lot... the real estate company my wife works for has its headquarters there and she's always taking pictures of the peacocks just milling about near where she parks.

They are very out of place looking because you'll see them hanging out by the Whole Foods supermarket or in front of Marshals clothing store, which are chain-store places you generally don't see peacocks at (I have no idea where they do their shopping in general)... and they are absolutely fearless of people, they just walk into traffic or in front of people walking... it's funny to see people unfamiliar with their presence walk up to the males, who'll fan out the tail feathers... it'll usually stop people dead in their tracks.

And the reaction to the calls is amusing too... it's a loud and piercing "Meow-like" sound...  totally freaks people out.

...I'm familiar with the sound they make as they also roamed about in Audubon Park down in New Orleans where I lived for a while. 

McGyver said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Missed that... Apple spellcheck pretty much writes whatever it wants at this point, if you don't go back and read everything word for word you're bound to miss something idiotically replaced... unless I'm remembering incorrectly, it kept trying to replace the correct spelling of "gilded" with "guilty" (its doing it now)... I probably saw it stop trying to insert "guilty" or the lack of a "y" and figured it finally accepted what I typed... predictive text has gotten so bad since iOS 17 it's worse that the earliest iOS versions... it seemed like the fixed the thing where you type something, see the correct word is accepted, and move on to tge next few words and suddenly see the words move, indicating something just changed, and sure enough it substituted a different word for the one you typed and it accepted... it wastes so much time because now it's super difficult to select a word if it a bad substitution like "Flaw" instead of  "Flawed"... you have to constantly retype several words or play "whack-a-mole" poking around trying to select what you want... I should have left it as guilty* age though, because so many of the gilded age rich folks built their empires on some crime or exploitation or otter** awful deeds.

I feel like when the AI revolution occurs, it won't nuke us or unleash killer robots on us... it will just annoy the snot out of us until collectively our brains explode.

** I'm leaving that one... "other" was the word I wrote... admittedly I recently wrote "otter" several times, but not today.

...yeah the auto spell "feature" in MS Word was like that.  Many years ago while i was writing the manuscript for a sci-fi Story, I kept getting annoyed  as the auto spell feature kept substituting "Serbian" for the name of one of the major races in my story. It was very frustrating. However, I now wonder if it may not have just been acting a bit clairvoyant as my current future story does involve Serbia.

I haven't seen it try to substitute the name of the race from the old sci-fi story for "Serbian" as I "permanently" disabled the feature a while ago (still using the same version, Word 2000).

Of course once I move to W11 much of the old software I have will become unusable unless I set up a W7 VM to run it in.

I for one refuse to welcome our new AI bot overlords. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • McGyver said:

Richard Haseltine said:

McGyver said:

As is patently, and painfully, obvious I don't have any kind of auto-correct on. They do seem a mixed blessing.

Richard Haseltine said:

As is patently, and painfully, obvious I don't have any kind of auto-correct on. They do seem a mixed blessing.

I feel that way too... but lately at least in iOS it seems like it's gone from "six of one, half dozen of another" to "four of one, seven of the other"... I don't get why they keep messing with features and adding stuff nobody asked for, while ignoring glaring problems they created and everyone hates... 

I keep spellcheck on because without a real tactical keyboard (versus the "virtual keyboard"), I miss keys or land between them... so I'll often spell a word correct, except for one letter that's completely wrong... like often I miss "n" and hit "m" or "g" instead of "h"... like one of my most common misspellings is "tge"... iOS ignores that... even suggests that... "tgem", "tgey", tgat"... it did that immediately after an iOS update and forcing it to unlearn it is useless, so I'm guessing it's either "built in" or as someone I know suggested, something the algorithm has picked up via collected user data... if enough people make a mistake, it's not a mistake anymore and it thinks it's a word... which I tend to believe because about the same time, whatever they tweaked to produce that abomination, also allowed it to recognize a ton of Gen Z and X slang words and abbreviations which it refused to months before... 

Which I'm all for, but screw it not understanding "th" is real...

I'm simply not having that... I'm not going in a time machine into the future and finding "tg" has replaced "th" because of a stupid garbage algorithm... I let it go with the old English "F" and "S" thing because those early English robot scribes had crossbar issues, but the hell I'll let this go... I seriously will go back in time and help the dinosaurs survive the damned asteroid and the hell with mammals and their stupid algorithms.

McGyver said:

Richard Haseltine said:

I feel that way too... but lately at least in iOS it seems like it's gone from "six of one, half dozen of another" to "four of one, seven of the other"... I don't get why they keep messing with features and adding stuff nobody asked for, while ignoring glaring problems they created and everyone hates... 

I keep spellcheck on because without a real tactical keyboard (versus the "virtual keyboard"), I miss keys or land between them... so I'll often spell a word correct, except for one letter that's completely wrong... like often I miss "n" and hit "m" or "g" instead of "h"... like one of my most common misspellings is "tge"... iOS ignores that... even suggests that... "tgem", "tgey", tgat"... it did that immediately after an iOS update and forcing it to unlearn it is useless, so I'm guessing it's either "built in" or as someone I know suggested, something the algorithm has picked up via collected user data... if enough people make a mistake, it's not a mistake anymore and it thinks it's a word... which I tend to believe because about the same time, whatever they tweaked to produce that abomination, also allowed it to recognize a ton of Gen Z and X slang words and abbreviations which it refused to months before... 

Which I'm all for, but screw it not understanding "th" is real...

I'm simply not having that... I'm not going in a time machine into the future and finding "tg" has replaced "th" because of a stupid garbage algorithm... I let it go with the old English "F" and "S" thing because those early English robot scribes had crossbar issues, but the hell I'll let this go... I seriously will go back in time and help the dinosaurs survive the damned asteroid and the hell with mammals and their stupid algorithms.

I think it would go a long way if there were arrow keys on the keyboard. Back when I had arrow keys, it was much easier to go back to the part the auto correct messed up. Now if I touch the part of the screen with the mistake, the phone puts the cursor somewhere else so I have to backspace five paragraphs to change Luke back to like. I don't Luke that at all. I should do an experiment to see if it's actually less frustrating to carry a full desktop keyboard connected to my phone rather than work with the touchscreen.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930

...I turned off autocorrect on my phone off because if I didn't catch a changes it made, what I sent was basically a "tossed word salad".  One of the issues with texting is once your comment is submitted, there's no going back to edit it.  At least on an Android phone even with autocorrect off, it still pops up correction suggestions which helps.