This is not the thread you're looking for...

Comments

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Enjoy your time together!

I wish I could talk to my Mother.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,100
    TJohn said:

I'll do my best. Sorry about your mum.

Miss Bad Wolfie said:

TJohn said:

Thank you. Mama passed at the age of 90 so she had a long life. 

TJohn said:

Miss Bad Wolfie said:

TJohn said:

Thank you. Mama passed at the age of 90 so she had a long life. 

That was around the age my Nana. She passed last year in February so this is my mum's second mother's day without her mum.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930

...my mum passed at the age of 50, 43 years ago. She was an incredible, supportive, inspiring and some what progressive person for her day (she enjoyed the Beatles and bought us all the records, books, and magazines, as well as tickets to see them when they came to Milwaukee in September of 1964).  In spite of working on a secretary's salary she managed to take care of all of us and we never went hungry or were wanting.  In the late 60s she looked to emigrate first to the UK and then to Canada to keep my brothers and myself from the war in Vietnam which she felt was being waged for the wrong causes.  Unfortunately neither happened as her being a single parent and a woman were major obstacles. 

She was also a lover of the arts and music which influenced me to develop interest in classical music and jazz.  Gershiwn's Rhapsody in Blue was one of her favourites and I always wanted to perform it some day for her.  .

I translated that desire to my character Leela, who as a child promised one day to play it at Carnegie Hall for her father who also loved the work. 

Hopefully Leela can make more beautiful music than my roommate. Right now I rather listen to Scuttle the seagull.
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,439

My mother was an energetic person.  A simple small town  girl.  Played Fernch horn in high school orchestra.  Married in '47.  Tended kitchen & counter in the small cafe/gas station that my dad owned at the crossroads in our little town.   Later she bought her own ladders & table & extendable walking planks, and created a small business hanging wallpaper.  She was a little woman but would take on jobs that big burly men would turn down.  As her reputation grew she was in demand by owners of some of the biggest houses in the area and met a lot of influential people.
    Later she became interested in town history and county politics.  She collected a large library of historical  town & county records and geneological records of local people. She was the goto person for information about people, places & history in the town and county.  She eventually became the first woman legislator for the county.  There is a historcal roadside sign honoring her placed in the town by the State.  She died too young at 64.  Probably because of her incessant cigarette smoking.  Her library was added to the historical library for the county.

My grandma was very helpful in her community before she died in 2015. My other grandmother who I called Nana was helpful in Rock county in WI. I doubt that I'll go back to WI any time soon.
    This is not the thread I'm looking for as I'm looking for dinner not a thread.
    edited May 2021

LeatherGryphon said:

My mother was an energetic person.  A simple small town  girl.  Played Fernch horn in high school orchestra.  Married in '47.  Tended kitchen & counter in the small cafe/gas station that my dad owned at the crossroads in our little town.   Later she bought her own ladders & table & extendable walking planks, and created a small business hanging wallpaper.  She was a little woman but would take on jobs that big burly men would turn down.  As her reputation grew she was in demand by owners of some of the biggest houses in the area and met a lot of influential people.
    Later she became interested in town history and county politics.  She collected a large library of historical  town & county records and geneological records of local people. She was the goto person for information about people, places & history in the town and county.  She eventually became the first woman legislator for the county.  There is a historcal roadside sign honoring her placed in the town by the State.  She died too young at 64.  Probably because of her incessant cigarette smoking.  Her library was added to the historical library for the county.

...very nice story, sounds like she was a wonderful person. 

Yeah unfortunately cigarettes became immensely popular for our parents' generation (the war and films of the day only made it worse) and was passed on to ours.  Crikey even doctors endorsed certain brands in adverts. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SeraSera Posts: 1,675

Crazy story about cigarettes: Smoking in Japan is still very popular. According to this wiki article, this is because the government, and maybe even the health ministry, owns/owned a huge stake in the industry. It literally used to be a government-run monopoly, and while it isn't anymore (they only own 30% now), the government is still pretty lenient on it. Seems like a conflict of interests. 

...smoking was also highly popular in Germany among younger people when I was there back in the 1970s.  it was almost if you didn't smoke, you were not considered, "in".

To add, we all know about Germany and Beer, Interestingly in the late 70s through the 80s the most popular import beer there in there was Budweiser, due to the "cowboy" image it often was linked to.  There were actual "cowboy clubs" there.  Now here's a nation where brewing has been an art since about the 11th century, where they still abide by a strict "purity" law that has been around for centuries, fawning over industrial swill from the states that even pointed out in adverts it was made with rice (an ingredient "verboten" under the purity law).

The fruits I got today are yellow like a banana.

Lemons?

....mangoes?

I'll show a picture soon.
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Coward Fruit?... Thems is the most yellow bellied of all fruits.

I'm back with pictures of the fruit. I also took a picture of the iPad you're not looking for.
    IMG_20210525_150612.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 1M
    IMG_20210525_144719.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 644K
    I found an app on my TiVo called Apple TV so I downloaded it. I can't find any apple pie recipes on it. I bet YouTube might have some. Wait, I don't have apples but I think I saw oranges in the kitchen. Can I substitute oranges for apples in Apple pie?
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,722

I was looking for the thread in which I asked, "did I kill this one too". It turns out this is the thread I was looking for.

No I killed the thread with bananas?  Or was it the I pad joke?

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Banana Bob approves of the banana pix.

I think it is time to update my avatar to an Easter theme.

Well it's a bit late for Easter now.

NylonGirl said:

Well it's a bit late for Easter now.

looks at calander and hopes it is on the right month.  Very true.

I think the thread I am looking into is about what is human and other questions on the verge of an existential crisis.  or maybe lets avoid that crisis and stick with this thread.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,578

NylonGirl said:

Did I kill this one too?

I was reading this post and my browser crashed.  Makes you think, no? 

I am finding AI art funny yet stupid.  Will this kill the thread

Anti-0000.jpg
    512 x 768 - 56K

Sfariah D said:

I am finding AI art funny yet stupid.  Will this kill the thread

I don't think so. I think it will be something involving a chive that ultimately kills the thread. 

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

...or Richard Clayderman?

• not sunlight either

it just makes him sparkle while he pretends to drink that coffee instead of blood