This is not the thread you're looking for...

Comments

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

I live in a house that my parents built in 1961 and I've lived here off and on and inherited it upon the passing of my Mother (although my loving parents gave me ownership of the property back in the 1990s because they considered me trustworthy - I lived nearby and moved in only when my Father passed at the age of 89. and I took care of my Mother as best I could until she passed at the age of 91 ten years later) the property the house was built on has been in my family for over 100 years. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,928
    edited October 2020

...nice.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SempieSempie Posts: 658

Is today duck season or wabbit season?

....I think it's donkey and elephant.until a week from Tuesday.

• SempieSempie Posts: 658
    kyoto kid said:

....I think it's donkey and elephant.until a week from Tuesday.

Yeah... Talking about the elephant in the (oval) room... (sigh...)

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2020
    kyoto kid said:

...nice.

Washington, DC was my city experience.  I had been there once in a while since 1966 and moved there in 1984 until 2002 and watched various areas change from abandoned & decrepit to modern and alive.  I saw several stages of the construction of the Metro system and lived in a couple places around the city and suburbs where I could take advantage of it.  The 14th street corridor running north from The Mall used to be where the prostitutes would hang out.  Now it's a bustling refurbished and modern trendy road.  The old train station "Union Station" was a mess.  Huge stone arched building, leaky roofs, crumbling ceilings, graffiti, rough wooden walkways hastily constructed to keep train passengers away from the debris, shattered lighting.  The vast amount of it completely unuseable.  But it has been completely refurbished.  Roofs repaired, ceilings reguilded, new huge multi-story car and bus parking ramp built behind and attached to the original building.  Main area is an upscale shopping and dining area.  Secondary area is an upscale shopping mall with access to the Metro system, Teriary area is the train ticket booths and waiting room.  Entire building and grounds returned to magnificence.

DC-UNION-STATION-MAIN-HALL.jpg
    1000 x 763 - 178K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited October 2020

..Beautiful .  I wish my old hometown of Milwaukee would have preserved the old Chicago & Northwestern lakefront station.  Remember travelling out of there, northbound trips were beautiful as trains ran along the Lake Michigan shoreline for several miles. 

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,721

The Union Station in my city was restored in a very beautiful way, but there are very few attractions in there, given the size. However, there is a place in there that has avocado toast. Yes.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    NylonGirl said:

The Union Station in my city was restored in a very beautiful way, but there are very few attractions in there, given the size. However, there is a place in there that has avocado toast. Yes.

Never had avocado toast (yet) I'm fond of guacamole. yes

edited October 2020

...Union Station here in Portland was beautifully restored years ago though not much in the way of other amenities either.

I live only a couple blocks away. 

Interior:

Trackside view.

I am looking for a thread about train stations and guacamole.

• NylonGirl said:

Sounds like the theme to an erotic dream.surprise

• choo choo dip lick?

And there were heaving avocados everywhere.

Did I kill this one too?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,095
    NylonGirl said:

Did I kill this one too?

Not sure but I was wondering if I killed the internet or is my WiFi interactions with phone stupid?

NylonGirl said:

..saw a thread the other day about wireless and liquorice flavoured black beans.

edited April 2021

...interesting, on the weather site I used I just checked the forecast for Melbourns AU and there is a Sheep Grazers Warning issued

I woke up close to midnight. I felt acid in my mouth but I did eat a slice of bread to see if that would help.

...ugh acid reflux, not fun. 

Miss Bad Wolfie said:

I woke up close to midnight. I felt acid in my mouth but I did eat a slice of bread to see if that would help.

Acid Reflux.  Erk!sad  No food, no coffee, no chocolate after 6:00 PM​  Don't stuff yourself after lunch. 

Miss Bad Wolfie said:

Acid Reflux.  Erk!sad  No food, no coffee, no chocolate after 6:00 PM​  Don't stuff yourself after lunch. 

I don't drink coffee after 6pm. I don't remember if I got any snacks last night. I did eat some chicken pot pie for dinner last night.
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Try sleeping with you upper body elevated a bit - it really helps.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,743

Kerya said:

Try sleeping with your upper body elevated a bit - it really helps.

Certainly does help with sleep apnea too.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,743

They've been renovating Toronto's Union Station for over seven - ten years depending if you count approvals versus shovels in the ground. But historial revitalizations are worth the wait when done well.

edited April 2021

I was in Washington DC during the years that they renovated the Union Station across from the Capitol Building.  Was a trashy, run down, leaks in the roof, dingy, dirty, ugly underused train station before the renovation.  Then it was this miracle of white marble, gold leaf, polished stone floors, huge bronze lamps, high end shopping center and modern new train station and Metro subway complex with huge parking garage behind the building.  Marvelous.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS871US871&sxsrf=ALeKk02Gi86vDYdVtLccktbO87Dmp6e9NA:1618845714527&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=images+of+union+station+washington+dc&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiQpYqezorwAhWIKM0KHTyCCoUQjJkEegQICBAB&biw=2560&bih=1297

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    I want to go to bed but its my week to do dishes. Unlike vacuuming, a pile of dirty dishes are harder to hide than procrastination of vacuuming the floor.

My fish love to eat their sun dried baby shrimp treats. It doesn't really matter what I think of fish treats, but the fish's opinions are the most important. If the fish refuse to eat their treats, its a waste of money. However my fish love to eat.

kyoto kid said:

NylonGirl said:

..saw a thread the other day about wireless and liquorice flavoured black beans.

I thought the beans needed a wired connection for licorice. 

edited May 2021

LeatherGryphon said:

I was in Washington DC during the years that they renovated the Union Station across from the Capitol Building.  Was a trashy, run down, leaks in the roof, dingy, dirty, ugly underused train station before the renovation.  Then it was this miracle of white marble, gold leaf, polished stone floors, huge bronze lamps, high end shopping center and modern new train station and Metro subway complex with huge parking garage behind the building.  Marvelous.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS871US871&sxsrf=ALeKk02Gi86vDYdVtLccktbO87Dmp6e9NA:1618845714527&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=images+of+union+station+washington+dc&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiQpYqezorwAhWIKM0KHTyCCoUQjJkEegQICBAB&biw=2560&bih=1297

..back in my old hoemtown the demolished what were two incredible classy old train stations and moved all operations to an ugly modern facility with no character.   

Chicago Northwestern Lakefront station:

Milwaukee Road Everett St.Station

The replacement

I can't wait to see my mum for mother's day!