[Released] Character Converter from Genesis 2 Female to Genesis 8 Female [Commercial]

Comments

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,372
    Ghosty12 said:

I am having the issue where the batch converter script does not work properly.. I can convert the base characters, but doing a PA character it will not convert, it won't even load the files if I add the files or a folder..

I get this part in the log:

01:03:26 GMT+1030 (Cen. Australia Summer Time): Converting character from D:/Daz & Poser Content/Genesis 2 Content/People/Genesis 2 Female/Characters/Jaina.duf to D:/Daz & Poser Content/Genesis 8 Content/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/G2 To G8/Jaina.duf

01:03:32 GMT+1030 (Cen. Australia Summer Time): Genesis 2 Female (Follower/Hair) is not content of Actor/Character,Actor,Preset/Character

01:03:32 GMT+1030 (Cen. Australia Summer Time): Execution Complete.

The thing is, is that the character is tagged as an Actor, even when in Content DB editor it is so.. So can only gather that the Genesis 2 to Genesis 8 batch script does not do PA custom characters, which is weird as the Genesis 3 to Genesis 8 batch converter has no issue with converting PA custom characters..

Is this one of those files that is a shape?  Because they won't work.  The script expects the preset to LOAD a character.  If it doesn't, it won't work.  

Ghosty12 said:

The other annoying thing with the Genesis 2 to Genesis 8 converter is the iris distortion issue, if I turn the tolerance down to get round irises, I get the edges of the eye lids puffing up..

That I cannot do anything about.  I was actually amazed how well the conversion does given the considerable polygon count between the two generations.  I tend to keep the tolerance at the default with this converter.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,983
    Ghosty12 said:

I am having the issue where the batch converter script does not work properly.. I can convert the base characters, but doing a PA character it will not convert, it won't even load the files if I add the files or a folder..

01:03:26 GMT+1030 (Cen. Australia Summer Time): Converting character from D:/Daz & Poser Content/Genesis 2 Content/People/Genesis 2 Female/Characters/Jaina.duf to D:/Daz & Poser Content/Genesis 8 Content/People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/G2 To G8/Jaina.duf

01:03:32 GMT+1030 (Cen. Australia Summer Time): Genesis 2 Female (Follower/Hair) is not content of Actor/Character,Actor,Preset/Character

The thing is, is that the character is tagged as an Actor, even when in Content DB editor it is so.. So can only gather that the Genesis 2 to Genesis 8 batch script does not do PA custom characters, which is weird as the Genesis 3 to Genesis 8 batch converter has no issue with converting PA custom characters..

Is this one of those files that is a shape?  Because they won't work.  The script expects the preset to LOAD a character.  If it doesn't, it won't work.  

Ghosty12 said:

The other annoying thing with the Genesis 2 to Genesis 8 converter is the iris distortion issue, if I turn the tolerance down to get round irises, I get the edges of the eye lids puffing up..

That I cannot do anything about.  I was actually amazed how well the conversion does given the considerable polygon count between the two generations.  I tend to keep the tolerance at the default with this converter.

Ahh k thank you for the info, I have found as others have that if the character has large irises they tend to not convert well..  What is weird is that I can convert a PA Genesis 3 custom character, with the G3 to G8 batch script.. Just had another idea on the iris issue, maybe if I shrink the iris to normal size do the convert then resize it with the G8 settings.. WIll have to give it a shot, but other that that these scripts do a great job in keeping the shape of the character.. :)

Ghosty12 said:
    Ghosty12 said:

Ghosty12 said:

Ahh k thank you for the info, I have found as others have that if the character has large irises they tend to not convert well..  What is weird is that I can convert a PA Genesis 3 custom character, with the G3 to G8 batch script.. Just had another idea on the iris issue, maybe if I shrink the iris to normal size do the convert then resize it with the G8 settings.. WIll have to give it a shot, but other that that these scripts do a great job in keeping the shape of the character.. :)

Please post what you discover!  It will help others (and me cheeky)

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

So I missed this thread because there wasn't a link to the product, and I'm pretty much helpless without the Daz Deals links now.

Anyway, I posted about my experience with LY Jolie in The Commons, and here's the gist!

Anyway, without further ado, this is LY Jolie with bluejaunte's Faye's skin.  I chose the skin because it seemed close to Jolie's, and I still fiddled with translucency to get it paler.  There has been a lot of progress in the skin department, and the BJ skin looks especially nice.  I didn't spend time on make-up, other than to colour her lashes a bit.  Brows are also something to work on.

In each case, the converted G8F figure is on the left, the G2F on the right.

I think the side view shows differences the most.  So breasts are bigger, buttocks sit lower, ribcage is different, the nose is flatter, there's baggage under the eyes.  Basically everything has more definition.  But the character looks okay, if harder and a good five or ten years older.  A lot of vendors probably won't want to go back and revisit their old characters, so the converter seems to be a worthwhile purchase.

Sevrin said:

So I missed this thread because there wasn't a link to the product, and I'm pretty much helpless without the Daz Deals links now.

Anyway, I posted about my experience with LY Jolie in The Commons, and here's the gist!

Anyway, without further ado, this is LY Jolie with bluejaunte's Faye's skin.  I chose the skin because it seemed close to Jolie's, and I still fiddled with translucency to get it paler.  There has been a lot of progress in the skin department, and the BJ skin looks especially nice.  I didn't spend time on make-up, other than to colour her lashes a bit.  Brows are also something to work on.

I think the side view shows differences the most.  So breasts are bigger, buttocks sit lower, ribcage is different, the nose is flatter, there's baggage under the eyes.  Basically everything has more definition.  But the character looks okay, if harder and a good five or ten years older.  A lot of vendors probably won't want to go back and revisit their old characters, so the converter seems to be a worthwhile purchase.

Thank you @Sevrin for sharing!

• ArkadySkiesArkadySkies Posts: 206
    edited April 2020

I'm excited to try this out. I backed off every attempt I've made to switch to G8 because I couldn't give up the the characters I've made for G2, and they couldn't be converted to G8. I use dial morphs to create characters and many of the G8 equivalents of the G2 base morphs either don't exist at all or have been replaced by HD garbage. Some of them have merely been renamed and are tricky to find, but some really just don't exist period. G8 handles expressions so much better though, so I really do want to make the switch. If this makes G8 usable for me, I will be forever greatful.

Post edited by ArkadySkies on
    edited April 2020

Here are a couple more renders, this time it's https://www.daz3d.com/ly-dominique

In all cases, the converted character is on the left.

Side view.  Altern8 skin.  Eyes standard.

Front view.  Lyra translucency adjusted skin and eyes.

Front vew. LY Sorrell translucency adjusted skin and eyes.

LY Dominique Altern8 skin.png
    1440 x 810 - 810K
    LY Dominique Lyra skin.png
    1440 x 810 - 1M
    LY Domique LY Sorrell skin.png
    1440 x 810 - 1M
    Post edited by Sevrin on

I'm excited to try this out. I backed off every attempt I've made to switch to G8 because I couldn't give up the the characters I've made for G2, and they couldn't be converted to G8. I use dial morphs to create characters and many of the G8 equivalents of the G2 base morphs either don't exist at all or have been replaced by HD garbage. Some of them have merely been renamed and are tricky to find, but some really just don't exist period. G8 handles expressions so much better though, so I really do want to make the switch. If this makes G8 usable for me, I will be forever greatful.

It will copy over any morph that is being used in a character.

Sevrin said:

Here are a couple more renders, this time it's https://www.daz3d.com/ly-dominique

In all cases, the converted character is on the left.

Side view.  Altern8 skin.  Eyes standard.

Front view.  Lyra translucency adjusted skin and eyes.

Front vew. LY Sorrell translucency adjusted skin and eyes.

Thank you for sharing for others to see!  Those look very close, though the lips are different.  In general, I would be happy with it (but I would say that laugh)

I'm consistently having the same problem with the characters I've tested: they all seem noticeably bustier than their G2F counterpart. Does the RS G2F clone have bigger breasts than the regular G2F? I tried to find the clone to check it myself but no luck.

Faces have been transferring very well, however.

I'm consistently having the same problem with the characters I've tested: they all seem noticeably bustier than their G2F counterpart. Does the RS G2F clone have bigger breasts than the regular G2F? I tried to find the clone to check it myself but no luck.

Faces have been transferring very well, however.

Yeah, the breasts and buns look pretty much like vanilla G8F breasts and buns, just scaled a bit.  The rest of the torso is pretty close, and I think the legs and arms are pretty close, as well.

edited April 2020

I think I've identified the problem: I suspect the script is ignoring/skipping the RS Clone when the script tries to process the body morph, or otherwise processing it incorrectly. But only the body, the face works great. Found and checked the RSClone in /AppData/blahblahblah and it's perfect too. If I dial in the regular G2F Clone, the body is fixed, but the head looks terrible from being applied twice, so obviously that is not a solution.

Here are a couple images demonstrating the issue with a grey G2F Ninive in the same location and a similar pose as G8, overlayed with a blue transparent G8F Ninive, with and without the G2F clone. As you can see, without the G2F Clone dialed in, the breasts are too big, and everything but the face is off. Every character I've converted has this problem, so it's not specific to Ninive.

Ninive 8 DefaultNinive 8 Body Fixed with G2F Clone

This is with the 2020 method on an up to date Windows 10 machine running an up to date Daz Studio, with similar results regardless of tolerance (several values between 0.2 and 0.005). Eyes checked/unchecked doesn't make a difference (just being thorough). Log doesn't indicate a failure at any point during the conversion, but based on these images, I don't think the G2F clone is influencing the converted body morph creation as intended. I haven't tried deleting the the RS Clone in app data and rerunning the script, but since that clone is a perfect match for G2F, I don't see the point in trying that. I don't know whether this problem is affecting everyone's conversion and but only @Sevrin and I noticed and commented on it, or if this is a glitch affecting only a subset of users.

I will try running the 2019 method on the body morphs, and see if it works properly. If it doesn't produce desirable results, I found a a tutorial on YouTube on how to separate full body G8 morphs into separate head and body morphs, which I'll use to create a separate body morph of the G2F clone, and use that to fix my converted G2F characters.

ninive-conversion-bad-bod.png
    971 x 829 - 363K
    ninive-conversion-bodFixedG2Clone.png
    957 x 858 - 369K

I think I've identified the problem: I suspect the script is ignoring/skipping the RS Clone when the script tries to process the body morph, or otherwise processing it incorrectly. But only the body, the face works great. Found and checked the RSClone in /AppData/blahblahblah and it's perfect too. If I dial in the regular G2F Clone, the body is fixed, but the head looks terrible from being applied twice, so obviously that is not a solution.

Here are a couple images demonstrating the issue with a grey G2F Ninive in the same location and a similar pose as G8, overlayed with a blue transparent G8F Ninive, with and without the G2F clone. As you can see, without the G2F Clone dialed in, the breasts are too big, and everything but the face is off. Every character I've converted has this problem, so it's not specific to Ninive.

This is with the 2020 method on an up to date Windows 10 machine running an up to date Daz Studio, with similar results regardless of tolerance (several values between 0.2 and 0.005). Eyes checked/unchecked doesn't make a difference (just being thorough). Log doesn't indicate a failure at any point during the conversion, but based on these images, I don't think the G2F clone is influencing the converted body morph creation as intended. I haven't tried deleting the the RS Clone in app data and rerunning the script, but since that clone is a perfect match for G2F, I don't see the point in trying that. I don't know whether this problem is affecting everyone's conversion and but only @Sevrin and I noticed and commented on it, or if this is a glitch affecting only a subset of users.

I will try running the 2019 method on the body morphs, and see if it works properly. If it doesn't produce desirable results, I found a a tutorial on YouTube on how to separate full body G8 morphs into separate head and body morphs, which I'll use to create a separate body morph of the G2F clone, and use that to fix my converted G2F characters.

For the body, the script is using the 2019 method, which does not use the clone.  It only uses the clone for the face as I was afraid of breaking something that already worked (and that portion of code is very complex and it would be easy to break stuff).  As I try to push this back for easier generations (which is not going well), I may change it again and if so, it could be pushed into the G2-G8 conversion.  For now though, I recommend using a breast morph if you are bothered by the discrepancy.

• Sevrin said:

The same thing I had noticed and posted about Belle.

• necroscensionnecroscension Posts: 106
    edited April 2020

I had gone through the same thing and had the same results, and I was attempting Nineve and Belle. I had mentioned it a few times, but at the time I was the only one saying something about it. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Post edited by necroscension on
    edited April 2020

I made a fix for anyone who has this problem. I created separate head and body morphs of the G2F clone. Download and unzip the morph to /My Library or another content location recognized by Daz (it should have the correct directory structure), and dial up the body morph under Actor/Full Body/People/Real World/Genesis 2 Female Body to 100% when using the generated G2F to G8 morphs. There is also a separate G2F head morph, but you won't want to use it for this. Went ahead and included it anyway since there was no reason not to give everyone the complete character.

Ninive Comparison with G2F body morph

The differences are less obvious at a distance, but if you were to overlay the figures as I did before, the results are basically the same. Only now that I've made a properly separated body morph the fixed version still has a good looking face (tolerance of 0.005 to get decent looking eyes, as Ninive's face is rather extreme). Overall, I'm really happy with the product now. It was an easy fix.

Yeah, I remembered your discussion about Belle. I made sure to mention you in my previous post.

I had gone through the same thing and had the same results, and I was attempting Nineve and Belle. I had mentioned it a few times, but at the time I was the only one saying something about it. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Sorry, I missed that while skimming through the thread.

zip
    zip
    G2FMorphsForG8F.zip
    ninive-fixed-2.jpg
    2000 x 1239 - 138K

I made a fix for anyone who has this problem. I created separate head and body morphs of the G2F clone. Download and unzip the morph to /My Library or another content location recognized by Daz (it should have the correct directory structure), and dial up the body morph under Actor/Full Body/People/Real World/Genesis 2 Female Body to 100% when using the generated G2F to G8 morphs. There is also a separate G2F head morph, but you won't want to use it for this. Went ahead and included it anyway since there was no reason not to give everyone the complete character.

Ninive Comparison with G2F body morph

The differences are less obvious at a distance, but if you were to overlay the figures as I did before, the results are basically the same. Only now that I've made a properly separated body morph the fixed version still has a good looking face (tolerance of 0.005 to get decent looking eyes, as Ninive's face is rather extreme). Overall, I'm really happy with the product now. It was an easy fix.

Yeah, I remembered your discussion about Belle. I made sure to mention you in my previous post.

Sorry, I missed that while skimming through the thread.

Wow.  Thank you for sharing that with everyone @ArkadySkies

edited April 2020

Your welcome. Faces were the important part anyway, and those work great. G2F on the left (Ninive textures), G8F on the right (V7 textures). (The eye textures I made myself, except the reflection map which is from Meilin 6, I think)

Ninive:

Ninive G2F faceNinive G8F

Meilin:

face-ninive-g2f.png
    437 x 720 - 293K
    face-ninive-g8f-2.png
    437 x 720 - 285K
    face-meilin-g2f.png
    437 x 720 - 304K
    face-meilin-g8f.png
    437 x 720 - 297K

Your welcome. Faces were the important part anyway, and those work great. G2F on the left (Ninive textures), G8F on the right (V7 textures). (The eye textures I made myself, except the reflection map which is from Meilin 6, I think)

Ninive:

Ninive G2F faceNinive G8F

Meilin:

Fantastic!

I posted in the Legacy UVs thread about my experience so far trying to use old textures. I mean you can do fine with Altern8, or other characters, but it would be nice to get as close as possible to what you like the character to begin with, which is usually a combination of everything.

Sevrin said:

I posted in the Legacy UVs thread about my experience so far trying to use old textures. I mean you can do fine with Altern8, or other characters, but it would be nice to get as close as possible to what you like the character to begin with, which is usually a combination of everything.

I hope you can get it.

• I have a problem with this, anybody know where i am going wrong???

I have a problem with this, anybody know where i am going wrong???

It looks like you moved the characters from the origin before conversion.

• Not quite sure what you mean?

• The body converts ok, just the head, same with Aiko 6 and Janna.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,074

I have a problem with this, anybody know where i am going wrong???

Please put the Viewport into Smooth Shaded mode before taking  screen shot of a nude figure. (The imge showed the ehad displaced about a metre to the side of the figure.)

The body converts ok, just the head, same with Aiko 6 and Janna.

The character you are converting should be loaded in the default location and the default pose.  Do not move it or pose it.  I have seen this happen before when someone moved the character before conversion.

• mavantemavante Posts: 734

Yes, lots of Gen8 morphs matter.  When I am testing, I remove all the conversion morphs I have made from data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs and testing speeds up significantly.  

I think this is something I need to understand better to determine if I'm going to be able to use this product on my old-and-creaking machine. Can you just move morphs in and out of the content directory at that path willy nilly, without DS having a psychotic break?

I was very surprised when I read that because I thought installed items had to be nailed down because other installed items would be looking for them, causing all kinds of issues.

You say "morphs I have made," and I don't make morphs, but I have a lot of morphs, particularly for G8, and I think it is slowing evrything down a lot. From all I've read in this thread about morphs and conversion time, I was afraid I was going to just have to pass. Would you mind expanding on this a little bit? Do you just drag them out in the Finder (or whatever it's called on Windows) to another directory, and then drag them back in whenever you want to use them again?

mavante said:

Yes, lots of Gen8 morphs matter.  When I am testing, I remove all the conversion morphs I have made from data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs and testing speeds up significantly.  

I think this is something I need to understand better to determine if I'm going to be able to use this product on my old-and-creaking machine. Can you just move morphs in and out of the content directory at that path willy nilly, without DS having a psychotic break?

I was very surprised when I read that because I thought installed items had to be nailed down because other installed items would be looking for them, causing all kinds of issues.

You say "morphs I have made," and I don't make morphs, but I have a lot of morphs, particularly for G8, and I think it is slowing evrything down a lot. From all I've read in this thread about morphs and conversion time, I was afraid I was going to just have to pass. Would you mind expanding on this a little bit? Do you just drag them out in the Finder (or whatever it's called on Windows) to another directory, and then drag them back in whenever you want to use them again?

DS builds the list of morphs for your figures from morphs in the folder path specified in the Daz Studio Formats of the Content Directory Manager.  You can safely pull the converted morphs from the path (using Windows Explorer) and they won't show up.  However, character presets or scenes that use those morphs will give a problem.  Before using any scene or character preset, you would need to copy them back in. 

Character Presets are different from morphs as they are tracked by the content database.  Moving those will cause the missing asset icons to appear.

• mavantemavante Posts: 734
    mavante said:

DS builds the list of morphs for your figures from morphs in the folder path specified in the Daz Studio Formats of the Content Directory Manager.  You can safely pull the converted morphs from the path (using Windows Explorer) and they won't show up.  However, character presets or scenes that use those morphs will give a problem.  Before using any scene or character preset, you would need to copy them back in. 

Character Presets are different from morphs as they are tracked by the content database.  Moving those will cause the missing asset icons to appear.

Thanks very much for the info.